3 weeks into the MLB season, what have you learned so far?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
G

Gyno

White Sox are fucking brutal. Either bet unders or against them. They have no offense and I don't think it will get better.

Pirates are a little better than I thought they were, I increased my power rating on them.

Dodgers offense is bound to explode, its coming. When Hanley comes back it should be a beast lineup.

KC is a solid overall team, they have no major strenghts but no glaring weakeness either.

Nats might be a little overrated/Bryce Harper is the real fucking deal though.

Seattle's offense is bad, they aren't a good team.

Astros can only be wagered on if Norris or Harrell is pitching.

Cardinals bullpen is nonexistent.

Josh Hamilton is struggling, but will explode and he will be worth all the Angels have paid him.

The Rockies are better than most thought..

I have Rockies season win total over 70.5

feel good about it fanatic.

Steer clear of the astro's imo, it will just be torture. You really want to sit and hope Veras or that pen can close out a 1-2 run game. They won't probably win 35% of their games and Norris will be overrated price wise.

What is going to happen to that team in July nd August when teams hit their stride? Losing 120 games wouldn't surprise me. Doubt it happens but they are lucky pitching is the worst its been in years --loom at their wins and SP....

Mets are solid team w some good young SP but they need a bullpen ...

The AL Central is a joke because the Twins have no pitching, the white sox are in slow decline at every position basically, Tigers aren't any better then last year, Royals are okay but the SP avg at best, Indians SP hikes

The Rockies lineup is sick now thy its healthy but the SP has to maintain this level for more then 3 weeks

You know what I see? Just a lot of avg teams and players.

The Yankees are still very good because of their pitching. They shed dead weight minus Jeter. You'll a gigantic upgrade over ARod. Hafner has been like his old self and Tex was solid but underperforming shivering around. 250 to often. Granderson did little besides hit HRs and Wells has played well..and I expected he would. I loved the moves and the only one not paying dividends is Fransico as the RH DH / LF. Boston did a great job getting Napoli and there 1-2 is great again but the rest is ahh...TB has 3 nice SP but that lineup ..

I'm going to fade the Astros for 43 games straight starting thursday.

I underrated the Mets. They have battled a lot of injuries the last bunch of years, have some solid arms they can trot out there and the stadium changes benefit their offensive style as formed right now. They still stink but not what I expected.

I am having a rough start to the year but one team that has treated me well is the Astros. I think you just have to pick your spots with them. You will probably make money the first 20 games of 43 that you plan on fading but then the prices are going to get adusted all the more. No pitching and no hitting is a tough combination to win with. Astros do have some power so perhaps backing them at a price against flyball pitchers is the best bet....or avoid betting against them in those spots. They are also striking out a lot .. so looks like fade against strikeout pitchers and back against contact pitchers is another option with these losers.

I didn't just learn this but it does serve as a reminder ... one or two pitching injuries and a starting rotation can go from looking elite to average very quickly ... LA fans in both leagues know what I am talking about.

NL East race will be great, with both Braves and Nats getting over 90 wins IMO, barring injuries of course.

I can tell you this....The first month, even going into May & June is not a very good indication of the rest of the season.....Teams that are up now, might, and probably will fade. It is a sprint. Very long season...Unlike any other sport, which I love.

Too early to tell, long season. Just some general thoughts.

Nats, I think will be fine barring more injuries. That rotation is sick with Stras, Gio, Zimmermann, Detwiler. Bullpen will be fine though it has struggled early.

I don't think the Rockies have the pitching to stay competitive.

I think Arizona is gonna be really good

Royals pitching is legit. Starters have been sick. If Moose and or Hosmer got going they could stick around.

Baltimore needs SP to get deeper in games or that pen will be worn out come July.

Yanks, agree with Sportsnut and would add Wells has been a pleasent suprise, out from under the weight of the big contract in LA he's revamped his swing and assumed a leadership role in NY. Also the loss of Martin behind the plate has not hurt as much as people thought.

as I said in your 2 weeks thread I will continue to wager the Brewers over at Miller Park!

Also my Blue Jays just need that dome to open up, I don't think they will start doing shit with the offense until maybe mid-end of May! The pressure from the city is also not helping...maybe the fact that Leafs made the playoffs people can chill a bit lol

No bat. I know hes hit since his callup but thats a small sample size. He really has no hit tool & little power. The best comp i see for him is Desi Relaford/Gookie Dawkins.

obviously it's early, but now that he just won a game pretty much on his own, after the bullpen blew it, your claim of "no bat" must be questioned.

i'm lazy, so this is from a simple search. but it's what kevin towers kinda saw, and i know it's just a buster olney blog, but i think it's right on. what i saw tonight was a player who chose to win a game, and u can't teach that.

"Didi Gregorius' early history of offensive production will never be confused with that of, say, Jurickson Profar, because he hasn't hit more than seven homers for any team, and his on-base percentage has been modest. This is part of the reason why the Diamondbacks' swap with the Reds in December for Gregorius drew some industry-wide shrugs. He has been seen as a very good defender, and also as someone who might be challenged offensively in his career.

But part of the reason why sports are fascinating is that you never really know what will happen next, and there are signs that Gregorius is going to be better than expected at the plate. Sure, he had a nice debut for the Diamondbacks on Thursday, clubbing a home run on the first pitch he saw, and added two more hits in Colorado Friday night. But even before that, Gregorius had seemed to become more of a threat at the plate, with his good showing in the Arizona Fall League, spring training and Triple-A this year.
"I think he's going to hit," a rival evaluator, who saw Gregorius in person earlier in the spring, said Friday. "His swing looks to me like he's in and out of the zone real quick, but he's got lots of strength and lots of bat speed."
In other words: The left-handed hitting Gregorius has some tools to work and improve with, and his defensive skills demonstrate he learns and adapts. "I was really impressed with how he set himself defensively," the evaluator said. "He made his throws according to the speed of the runner, even though he's got a great arm, he does this thing where he seems to stutter-step when he [attacks] a ground ball. He almost goes through the baseball. He's an impact defender."

this kid is a baseball player, he just wants to be out there. to say he has no bat seems an outdated opinion, clearly those in the business seem to have a different perspective. that said, i will temper my expectations as a fan, because his early numbers have been a little crazy. but if u watch the 10th inning of tonight's game, u will see that he commanded that inning and literally won the game.

ty/gl

Back