SportsNut

Breaking it down briefly
Yesterday is the way you would like everyday to go.....

New Jersey Nets +105 {5units} Over 210.5 {1unit}

It seems that there is alot love for the Nuggets at the moment and I honestly ask why?? They have won 4 straight but against who exactly? They won in Sac as 3.5 pt dogs not impressive to me. Especially since if you didnt take them in Sac your now paying about 5 pts more versus a better opponent. They hosted Portland as -7.5 and won by 8 not impressive. They smoked the Lakers who were in the midst of freefall. They really dominanted after the half though(tied at half). Then they smoked the Suns which was nice but since that OT affair @ Dallas the Suns have looked off getting blown out at home vs Det and then @Den. So I am not ready to say DEN is playing well. Yes , Mr. Iverson and Sir Melo are doing quite well.

The Nets arent 100% healthy yet cause now Cliff Robinson is OUT. However they won @ Denver with Cliff doing little and RJ out. Bottomline is the Nets like playing Denver. They have won 9 of 10 and 14 of 20 in the series. Denver has not won in NJ since 2000 losing 6 straight trips.

I cant quite figure out why this line now has Denver favored they are medicore at best away. The line should be were it opened -2 so some value IMO. The Nuggets funk has been so long that they just recently won consecutive home games since the end of Jan. The Nuggets' victory on Thursday night against the Lakers was the first against a team above .500 since winning at Indiana on February 9. It also is their first win against a team that is currently over .500 since beating the Rockets in Houston on January 20. .The Nets improved to 11-5 this season with a starting lineup of Gs Jason Kidd and Vince Carter , C Mikki Moore and Fs Richard Jefferson and Jason Collins .

Iverson is averaging 34.7 points in his last seven games against the Nets, but was held to 18 on 6-of-19 shooting in Denver's 112-102 loss to New Jersey on Jan. 27. Vince Carter scored 40 points for the Nets in that matchup. Anthony is averaging 17.4 points - nearly seven below his career average - in seven games against the Nets.

For me I am not crazy about DEN's bench at the moment . JR Smith is getting back in the mix but for a guy who doesnt say NO to a shot that could be troublesome cause he is working his way back and should be off somewhat. Kleiza now has follwed up both 20+ pt games with 5 and 4 pt efforts.

Under 195.5 Cleveland {3units}

The totals previously were 193 , 191 and 186 in this series. Due to the lack ofbig men for Charlotte they went on a run where they couldnt stop anyone defensively. Now they have somewhat under control but the absence of key offensive layers also makes this a struggle since they dont have good 3pt shooting. Cle will play defense probably not try to quicken the pace with the Dal game on deck. I amnot ready to lay 7 points or even take them here but I dont think anyone scores a 100pts either...I am also thinking that snce there game with LAC snuck over that was the end of there over run and start of a under run... With alot people thinking Cavs line is BIG I wondre if this is not another Hou @ Philly type game. We have to remember who the big men for Char are Hermann and Voskhul(Sp??) . They are missing Primo , May , Emeka , and Breven...could be a great spot for a Charlotte team under as well....

In NY looking hard at the under as well as NYK. The shorthanded aspect for both lends me to the under . I do like NYK but with three key players missing I am concerned that I am fighting for a backdoor cover only. So maybe it sbest to wait till halftime and back play based on Dallas trailing Or leading big....

The game in DET would be a Philly play or pass. The Pistons really didnt seem to miss much vs Dallas. However you would like to think Philly steps it up after such an all around woeful performance. Pistons will probably sit Billups and in that case I had this game at closer to -6.5 . Det will probbaly be looking ahead to the next two games @ Hou and @ SA. If it wasnt for Webber vs Philly and there 3 game home losing streak I owuld entertain a ML play.....

Hornets +1 or better {4units}

I am FULLY aware that I COULD be walking into a sucker bet. First off I think the line is correct its the same as last meeting in Memphis so its not that fishy. Second I dont think the effects of the 4 in 5 spot are that great here. The had the 18th off and everyone played less then 30 minutes last nite. So the past few days havent been that intense for them. Third is they lost the last meeting on the 4th quarter and I dont expect 57% FT shooting for a team in the 72-75% range all season . That lost the game when the margin was 4 pts and they got outscored by 10 in the 4th. Memphis has 17 wins and ZERO consecutive wins! They have not won B2B games all SEASON!! The question becomes can a 10-24 road team be counted to win on the road?? They pulled one out at NY this weekend so why not here?

LA Clippers +8 {4units} ML +330 or better {1unit}

Just like in NJN vs DEN the Clipppers have won 8 of 10 in the series. We all know elton Brand is returning "home". Bulls have some sort of issue playing on 2 days rest going 5-11 SU and 4-12 ATS so this could even be a good ML longshot play. Suddenly LAC is playing well on the road and I will ride it. They are 1 pt away from being 4-0 ATS on the trip. I know CHI is nt a good road team but they looked worse then expected in Philly and Memphis IMO. Now Hinrich is hurting with a foot problem and I just dont see the value in Chi here...

No real opinion on Houston and Indy at the moment....will post the late games later but on both favs though played Wash last nite -2...:cheers:

SN, you're asking where the love for the Nuggets is coming from. It's easy, the front court mismatch, we can tell with pretty high % that the Nuggets are going to dominate the glass tonight, and with Melo, AI but also Kleiza being hot from the outside I would take that too.

Now I know laying chalk on the road (even if it is a mini spread like this one) might not be the best money maker in NBA, but with the Nuggets I don't care really, not like they have any home court advantage when it comes to winning games, they're basically around .500 both at home and away.

I'm on the Nuggets. Gotta say I like the Hornets too, even though they are b2b, I might go with them after all. Clippers I can't trust but it does seem like a sharp bet and a backdoor cover by LAC could spoil a lot of bets tonight.

Good luck SN :shake:

What happened with the front court mismatch last time? Worst angle in basketball is using indivual matchups in baskets. May work here over the long run it really doesnt matter . Mismatches are for games played on paper. Who isnt a mismatch for NJN front court?? Oh an NJN outrebounded them in Denver 45-38....w/o RJ who just grabbed 13 boards last game. Cliff chipped in 3 and NJN offensive boards 10-3....granted Nene has stepped up since last meeting but hasnt been particularily impressive last 6 games..Kleiza very inconsistent...

Ironically, Golden State is the worst rebounding team in the NBA, getting beat on the boards by an average of 4.9 rebounds per game. BTW when in GSW the Nuggets were outrebounded 50-49

I just dont look at matchups much . To me there useless. Who knows who will be extra hot or cold tonite. One thing I know about baksetball is the offensive player is stopped more often not by himself then the actually defender.

hate to be against you but I am not buying into the DEN hype just yet.

Look at it like this Ron Artest is arguable one of the best defenders in basketball. How good is the SAC defense? One matchup doesnt mean that much in the overall play of a team. Its about the units play as a team.

NJ finds ways to overcome its frontcourt issues that may not be easy to describe. I do think Jason Collins is underrated defensively thats the only reason the guy plays a minute in the NBA IMO. Mikki Moore has done a stand up job and I would think RJ continues to frustrate Melo. Now what can help NJN overcome the rebounding edge?? Poor shot selection by AI , Melo and JR Smith.....

BOL today....

i like your picks tonight SN, it should be an interesting night in the nba. im just so pist cuz at matchbook i made some offers last night and of course noone matches them, now the line has moved 1-2 points and i dont really even want it anymore. I think there is a better way to bet on here but i dont know how, it would also be helpful if i had money at another site but unfortunately i do not.

Hey Mr. Nuts,

Great writeups. I also took NJ today since I noticed the line movement as well and with the good history in favour of NJ.

I must thank you as well because yesterday I put in a 4 game teaser and had SAC/ATL U208, NO ML, BOS/NO O186 and then I was about to pull the trigger on SAC +2 but when I read your play last night I decided to pull on ATL +9. My 4 game teaser hit and won a nice $1800.00! Thanks man.

:cheers: Nut,
I looked at a few games today.. I considered the over in the NO/Grizz game. As for the line exactly the same the last time these two teams were in a game, I remember it quite well because my over hit just barely.. I say over because the hornets have been meshing and scoring. The grizz put up good numbers at home.. Also. the last time these teams met the final was 108-104 @ Grizzle land with Paul 0-7 for the Hornets and Gasol only 3-10. You know as well as I that these two are generally good for a double-double.. GL on your plays tonight..

Some more Denver @ NJ comments :

The Nuggets are now 22-3 when scoring 110+ points. Which means they are only 11-28 when they dont. So do we expect them to crack 110?? They barely got to 100 in the past two meetings and not the past 8 ( I fullly understand teams change personnel). The first due to OT and then 102 at home in a loss. I would consider it unlikely they do here.

Denver has lost six straight and 14 of its last 15 at New Jersey.

Hey Mr. Nuts,

Great writeups. I also took NJ today since I noticed the line movement as well and with the good history in favour of NJ.

I must thank you as well because yesterday I put in a 4 game teaser and had SAC/ATL U208, NO ML, BOS/NO O186 and then I was about to pull the trigger on SAC +2 but when I read your play last night I decided to pull on ATL +9. My 4 game teaser hit and won a nice $1800.00! Thanks man.

Glad I was helpful. I cant take to much credit though cause I wasnt overly confident in ATL...very happy to see you hit for 18 hundo...keep it up and GL tonite

Denver... I don't have the #s... is probably one of the best teams at getting revenge for a prior loss. Suns beat them.. and they thrashed the Suns worse than the Stons.

Lakers embarassed the Nuggets.. and now the Nuggets came back and handed it to them.

Knicks beat them early in the season and Nuggets came back and absolutely crushed them.

Nets beat them when AI was just getting back into things... I think this fits the same bill... plus like I said... AI is Kidd's daddy

Farm: tend to agree just staying with the side. NO emphasized defense yesterday most of BOS scoring was 4th quarter garbage time. However as you pointed out series history makes one believe we should play above 210 here. memphis is just weird they have become so inconsistent on offense for me but have picked up the slack last few games.....lean to the over.....BOL

Nut, I'm not putting your play down I just like the other side... who have the Nets beaten recently? Took a late run and an early slurr of 3's from KIDD, yes KIDD from 3 to barely and luckily beat Daniel Ewing's Clippers

Denver... I don't have the #s... is probably one of the best teams at getting revenge for a prior loss. Suns beat them.. and they thrashed the Suns worse than the Stons.

Lakers embarassed the Nuggets.. and now the Nuggets came back and handed it to them.

Knicks beat them early in the season and Nuggets came back and absolutely crushed them.

Nets beat them when AI was just getting back into things... I think this fits the same bill... plus like I said... AI is Kidd's daddy

You really think the Nuggets beat the Suns? Suns are on EMPTY right now thats the reason why they lost to Det and Den. If they would have beat a streaking HOT Suns team then I would give them some credit for that win but they dont deserve any in my book. They beat a tired team with a short bench who plays lackluster defense .

Again they beat the Lakers cause of revenge OR because the Lakers have fallen apart? Same with NY lets be real the Knicks pulled of a miracle upset in DEN coming alive in the 4thquarter. They didnt get revenge they beat an inferior team who was falling to pieces at the moment.

AI can be Kidd's daddy all day I dont care about indivual matchups. let AI get his 40 + all I care about his shooting percentage and distrubtion of the ball. The more he looks to score the better for me....in the long run.

As for Den revenging a loss this season they are 9-7. We just have different views. My plays are based on lines and perceptions factored with play of the team rather then a matchup diagramed on a chalk board. If I a wrong I can live with it. Denver doesnt impress yet maybe after tonite they do...

All I know for all talk about front court advantages I have already disproved that factor. For all the talk about AI all I know is he shot 6 of 19 last meeting...:cheers:

Nut, I'm not putting your play down I just like the other side... who have the Nets beaten recently? Took a late run and an early slurr of 3's from KIDD, yes KIDD from 3 to barely and luckily beat Daniel Ewing's Clippers

I know that bro. Its just a batlle of two strong minds trying to impress there point....definetly no hard feelings on my part. That strue about NJ but there is no uproar over NJ its about DEN who is benefitting from being in the right place at the right time IMO...

I'm a situational capper SN, and my previous post on this topic was solely directed to the Nuggets now . What I don't like here (obviously) is the Nuggets are getting a lot of love from everybody following their last couple of games, beating Phoenix that way makes a lot of echo in the league. But I like them today anyways.

Yes they lost to NJ last time but Nene played only 16 minutes then, and Kleiza logged on for 1 minute only.
The Nets had 10 offensive rebounds then, compared to Nuggz 4. I don't expect that to happen tonight. They're on a roll. I'm not a matchup bettor, I'm flexible when it comes to capping, but when I like the matchup I like it. I'm sure in two things only tonight:

AI and Melo won't shoot 11-of-33 combined tonight, and Nuggets won't get ourebounded. Everything else is questionable.

AI was stopped last time he faced them but he is hot right now. Again I'll stress out, I'm not a fan of playing a hot public darling, coming off a few statement wins, but I will do it here without even blinking, and take it like a man if I'm wrong. :shake:

:cheers:

GL

Would say the Nuggets bet Suns business is a little funny just like the great victory vs Lakers. What is notfunny is the level of Need Denver has for this game looking at their next 4 games. This is the problem right here. I think if forced to play Nets are obviously correct but generally unless I see a easy win that you do better over the long haul looking for spots where you know your team is trying harder then the opposition. It fails this test so I pass the game. The only game you have posted where I seriously feel you may be off is with the Clipps. On 2 days rest at Home I see bulls with 2 blowouts, a 5 point win vs a healthy Laker team and a Loss. I think Clipp good results at bobcats and Houston might be a little bogus. it is major tradition with Clips and Houston while this years Bulls may very well not care about tradition. See clipps as a 2 man team right now which does not appeal and looking at Clipper margin of victory at home vs Bulls think this is a unlucky spot for clipper betters. GL

Understood Satyr. The Nuggs have played better but to me not well. You yourself didnt you play against them in Sac? I am willing to admit maybe I am missing the bus here with Denver but as of this moment I dont see it. The Kings are not as good as NJ so why should I be impressed with that win. Thats a game were DEN is severly undervalued IMO catching points from Sac. Then take Portland and LAL what has either of these teams done lately to state either of those wins as impressive? The LAL game followed that blood letting at home vs Dallas. The Suns score for sure is impressive but as you said you are a situational bettor and you know 3rd in 4 nites in Denver is an awful spot for PHO especially since the season is winding down.

Why are you so sure NJ will be badly outrebounded? Denver has been outrebounded in 4 of the last 10 games and by thee worst rebounding team in the NBA in GSW. Cause of Nene?? Nene will play 25-30 maybe more here but he struggles with foul trouble as well so its not a given. Oh and Nene played 35 minutes @ GSW against the worst rebounding team in the league and grabbed a whole 4! So I understand where they have edges what makes be believe they exploit them here where they havent ?? Why wont Melo or AI shoot poorly again ?? Melo's exact career avgs taken from YahooSports are 5.6 for 16 which is 35%. He gets about 7 FT attempts per versus them. So why cant he play poorly again. AI on the road this year 41 % FG and career vs NJ 42%. So obviously he is capable but for all those great games he has vs NJ he has had hi sshare of bad ones...this year 17 of 44 why get overly excited?

ADD:

Utah Jazz -7.5 {4units} Under 206 {2units}

The Jazz are in a funk at the moment after a poor road trip. The truth is they lost 2 games they should have won and would have been 2-2 instead of 0-4. They were flying high before that trip and maybe a dose of reality will help. With GSW they have improved greatly winning 6 of 7 now that Baron Davis has joined the cast again. My problem is still with there road play. They barely beat a below avg Seattle team by 1 and lost to Portland badly when Baron Davis didnt play, which was also before the Dallas game. They still are only 8-26 away.

The Jazz have already won by 24 at home vs GSW. They are 25-7 SU at home. So quite a difference in performance when you look at it situational. The Warriors have had players changes so you cant rest solely on that. Though for some of the more risky ones they might want to take Utah on the ML since they have also beaten GSW 18 of the past 20 meetings at home. Stephen jackson is less then 100% here and Utah will be missing Harpring and Giricek. That means Fisher , Miles and Brewer will earn more minutes and need to step up. The difference here will be Utahs rebounding and the difference in defense. The Warriors struggle on the road with ppg allowed while Utah is the midst of a stretch playing very sound defense.

GL tonight SportNut. Little worried about the Clippers tonight if they're without the service of Sam Cassell. Not sure that Hart and Ewing will be able to hold up to the pressure defense of Chicago. Losing your top two point guards against the team that causes the 2nd most turnovers in the league might be a difficult task.

Thanks Tuck. Dont see anything easy about any of my plays thats for sure. I think NJ is trying just as hard as DEN here ...Good Luck...

Doublem9 : good Luck bro!

GL tonight SportNut. Little worried about the Clippers tonight if they're without the service of Sam Cassell. Not sure that Hart and Ewing will be able to hold up to the pressure defense of Chicago. Losing your top two point guards against the team that causes the 2nd most turnovers in the league might be a difficult task.

Legit concern. Again one matchup doesnt overly concern me though. Not trying to be a hard ass about that its just my longterm belief. The past 5 games cassell has missed they are 4-1 ATS including the games in SA and Houston recently. Going back further I believe they are now 8-3-1 ATS the past 12 games Sam has missed. Bulls are not at full strength either so hopefully that evens out some of the PG vulnerabilities. I do like Hart but havent seen much of him in LAC. He had been the frontrunner to replace Bibby when he was supposed to miss the start of the season. So in some manner he has to be viewed as a capable of being a strting PG....BOL bro...Utah tonite??:cheers:

Yep I faded them in SAC but they really stepped up there, and the Kings were sucky. It was more of a pro King play, as I really thought it's now or never for Sacto. Guess they folded.

Why I don't think AI and Melo will shoot 11-33? Come on SN, that's 33%. :D Do you really think they'll shoot that crappy again? It would be possible but I don't think Denver has been more confident this season than now. It's about the whole team clicking on another level, you know as well as I do that you don't just beat Phoenix by chance. The Suns might have had a bad day at the office but Denver imposed their game, they're on a roll right now and even though as I said, I'm not a fan of playing them as favs here, I just like the situation both teams are in.

NJ have "resurrected" after RJ came back right? They barely beat the Clipps. They had a rather tough schedule in March, meeting SA, HOU and DAL all on the road (plus MIA at home) but does that make them a good bet just because they had a tough schedule? Nuggets on a roll is tough schedule all over again. Maybe even tougher than depleted Miami.

On the other hand they met Memphis (in Memphis) and NOH (when the Hornets were in a huge slump), so the this is a sword with two blades. I think Denver showed more lately. I also stated during the All Star break that the Nuggets will make a run for it soon, finally get out of the shell and connect 6,7 wins. I believe this is it.

I mean it's not like I'm that bummed about this number, I'm laying 1.5 here, so except some supertight finish occurs I don't think 1.5 will be an issue here if Denver shows up the way I expect them to.

If they don't, they don't. Hey, I can't go against myself, I just don't rate the Nets as high and as "smooth" right now while I could say that the Nuggets are finally stepping up, at least to some extent.

I like the Jazz bet. I think GSW will be back to Earth after tonight, somewhat 99-83. I'll add that one to my thread as well, very likely. :shake:

Ya I like the Utah play. I was hoping that it would have come down to 7 but it doesn't look likely. I feel better about the under than I do about the Jazz. The young guys bring a ton of energy to this team. I really wish Fisher was hurt and not Giricek or Harpring. Jazz have plenty of depth so I doubt you'll see any fall off on the defensive side of the ball. On the offensive side all of the guys replacing Harpring and Giriceck are liabilities to a point on offense. With all that said I like the under a bit more than a side, but I don't really see to many possibilites for the Jazz losing SU here. Might entertain myself with a little ML/under parlay that pays 1/1.5. GL

Have to lock in NJN still seeing 2 everywhere now..played Under 94 -115 Charlotte team total {2units} ...still waiting to lock in Utah should get -7 eventually.

Played Miss State -5 {3units} and over 71.5 1st H {2units}

One last thought: The Jazz/Warriors game has a very similar feel to it as the Celtics/Hornets game last night. Two teams going opposite directions and a line that many people would probably view as too big. Very well could see a similar outcome.

Why I don't think AI and Melo will shoot 11-33? Come on SN, that's 33%. :D Do you really think they'll shoot that crappy again? It would be possible but I don't think Denver has been more confident this season than now. It's about the whole team clicking on another level, you know as well as I do that you don't just beat Phoenix by chance. The Suns might have had a bad day at the office but Denver imposed their game, they're on a roll right now and even though as I said, I'm not a fan of playing them as favs here, I just like the situation both teams are in.

I dont wont to change mind rarely do I want to do that. However your missing some of what I am saying. I didnt say I expect them to shot 33% here. I am just saying why expect much better? If AI is 41% on the road and 42 % career and if Melo is 35%? Okay so they shot 40% here does that make me interested in Den? Sure thats better play but not significantly better. I dont see reason for significant improvement. Everyone is missing the boat with the Suns game.. the only thing that should be remotely considered is the had Suns jerseys on...thats about it..

I love that Denver is confident like I have said confident for what? Beating three of the worst teams in the NBA in LAL , POR , and Sac...who cares? they stomped a mudhole for sure in PHO but the SUNS are not gods and they caught them at the right time. I would rate Miami ahead of Den still until otherwise proven differently......BOL and good to see we agree with Utah ...

Thanks guys!

Well you should all know by now that I just dont win the close ones. Just doesnt really happen for me much. NJ fell to pieces in the 3rd quarter how big was that run. Still not impressed with Denver by any stretch but they are the better team and won. I found some ways to get some of that 5 units back but really want is burning me is the Cle game ...83 pts at half and Char has 37 and I lose both plays plus my ML parlay cause they Cavs LIED and didnt play the 2nd H especially. Didnt Lebron say we wont overlook Char cause we kno wthey play for 48 minutes? yeah he did. Sure its player talk but that comment would be floating in my mind the whole game as to not just give up...

Dallas game went UNDER easily but the NYK were what I thought Charlotte was a ...a sucker play. NYK is just shorthanded with 3 key players out . Thankfully NO wasnt a sucker bet and they won the 2nd H convincingly. Good call on the over Farm.

After some crap Luck have a few pending and added Utah 2nd H for 4 units(-8). Didnt touch the late games have Wash middled -2 and +4.5. Did lean towards the Unders pretty strongly late but stayed away for now.

Comments like this ease the pain on losing plays.

It also marked the first time this season that Denver has won a game (1-21) when scoring less than 99 points

Trailing by seven at the half, the Nuggets went on a 23-4 third-quarter spurt

Its amazing how poorly NJ played on offense versus such a bad defense.

For all the bad that has happened so far I take great joy in the fact the LA Clippers ML just hit at +330!

great job with the Clipps, I couldn't trust them, actually took Bulls 2nd H.

Slim chance (or close to none) that I'm hitting Arenas prop over 29.5, the guy is on 9 points on horrendous FG% at HT, just can't believe I got myself hooked on that statement story again. I'm so naive at times. :D

Note to self: No more Hibachi props.

Yeah see what happens is its not your fault. Things in life are very pattern orientated. He says IT versus Suns and goes out and does it . Then you think he will do it everytime. There is nothing wrong that cause you can fall back on the fact he has done it. Its like never gambling and winning your bet. By winning that 1st time you go back to it as a positive experience. Sort of my slant on the pyschological aspect of decision making in gambling. Performance wise he is on a team that doesnt score the same way on the road and is missing one part of the tripod.

Another example is this. NJN against the last 2 quality opponents had lead at half only to fall to pieces in the 3rd quarter. Factored with DEN starting slow vs LAL on Thursday then demolishing them in the 2nd H. So really the best approach for the TNT game was playing NJN 1st H and Den 2nd H. Which I did in small quantities cause the Nets have shown the better team will find ways to win there matchups. All crazy shit Ithink about.....there is another pattern that is showing right this moment...

good call with the clips tonight. didn't have the balls to bet that one myself

thats what I am most proud of . The confidence in my 'read' to pull the the spread but on the ML....Thank You though! I know the feeling though...

Solid work on the Jazz 2nd half. I normally never make halftime plays, but watching the Jazz game I couldn't help but to think the Jazz would take care of business in the 2nd half. Saw the line and had to take it. Combine that with that ML/under parlay and it was a great game. I really think the Jazz build on that 2nd half moving forward. And I've got to say that I'm a fan of the Warriors right now. They played their asses of tonight. It says a little about them though when they can't win hitting 14 of 28 from downtown.

In many ways lucky to hit that Under . I saw them making that run and GSW is known for going ice cold late in the 4th quarter on the road no matter how well they have played that nite. The recent game @ MSG comes to mind.......

GSW hs to learn how to win but they are definetly improving

Back