SportsNut

Breaking it down briefly
Today we have a nice short card. Hopefully I build on a solid Sunday here.

Hornets -5 -105 ( wait for better ) {6units} ML -210 (wait ) {4units}

These are two teams who appear to be heading in different directions. Boston with Pierce back appears to be playing a better level of basketball(13-5 ATS Last 18) where NO is fading in March losers of 7 of 8 (8 of 10 overall). So what makes NO attractive here? The Boston Celtics are the KINGS of covering on the road despite only 11 away win. They have managed a 25-9 ATS record on the road. There last game was there high point IMO which means regression now . Finally defeating the SA Spurs for the 1st time since 2/14 1990 . Yes, thats 1990 ! Possibly the best twist is the fact the Boston Celtics won on St.Patrick's Day!!! The Hornets are off what I deem there low point. They lost @ Wash by 22 allowing a season high 125 points and 58% FG shooting .

New Orleans is 2 games out in the race for the 8th seed in the playoffs. Chris Paul says the playoffs are the reason he is postponing surgery to the offseason and its all the Hornets are worrried about. "We have done a great job of fighting, we are still in the playoff hunt and that's what it's all about. Making the playoffs is the only thing on my mind right now." It has been written that NO two best players David West and Chris Paul were disgusted and worse embarrassed by the teams overall play on Saturday. Those guys trying to be leaders in my opinion will try to step it up here and lead by example. Supposedly Paul fired the ball at the backboard in digust on Sat and West is quoted as saying " We never stopped them at all" . When you allow a season high in points it plauisble to expect a much better effort on defense the following game especially if its at home. Boston held SA to 37% shooting expect those figures to flip-flop here.

The Hornets still are 19-13 at home where Boston is 11-23 away. Boston is now 4-10 SU away vs the West(9-5ATS). They have defeated Portland as 7 point underdogs , Memphis as 6.5 pt underdogs , Houston w/o TMac and Ming as 7 pt dogs , and now SA as 13 pt underdogs. So really the SA win was the 1st of note.

While the -5 may seem high think about the fact they caught 7 points when Hou was missing its 2 best players. The lowest spread for NO at home recently was -4.5 vs Seattle which they won but failed to cover the spread. Thats interesting cause Seattle traveled to Bos recently and were favored in Boston. They got beaten but the mere fact they were road chalk so a significant edge in power rankings bewteen the two. Simply put if the Sonics are worth a few more points then Boston then the spreads shouldnt be similiar. Its not just this team they both played NJN recently NO was -5 and lost a close game where Bos was +6 and won a tough game in OT. I have a fair number as -6.5 in this game so below -5 is nice value. WIth Bos @ -5 its saying that Boston is equivalent to NJ which we know is untrue.

In SA they jumped to 75-56 lead with 1 minute to play in the 3rd quarter. Then suddenly with a few minutes to play SA was leading 83-81.
But they then stopped moving the ball and that played right into the hands of the San Antonio defense, which in turn led to a 27-6 tear by the hosts, who took their first lead of the game with 5:12 remaining.
To one and all, it looked like another imminent collapse for the young Celtics, who were trying to survive in the face of a hostile crowd and a veteran team that thrives on such situations. This should tell us a good defensive effort will frustrate Boston and could put them in drought. Remember NO has been a decent defense all season and is coming off an embarrasing defensive performance. I was impressed that Boston played so well in a fourth game in 5 nite spots. This will be a 3rd game in 4 nites spot after playing @ Dallas , @ SA now @ New Orleans. This is also a 5th in 7 games spot but so was the SA effort. Overall though this is Boston 10th game in 17 days. They had a soild performance from a forgotten man in Michael Olawakondi in SA. Does he setup again with Gomes and probably Scalabrine absent ??

When NO started getting healthy its level of play significantly increased. They had won 12 of 13 at home( a hiccup to Philly) before dropping the past two at home to Utah who had payback and NJN which also happened to be payback for NO winning in FEB @ NJ. Wouldnt say BOS has payback losing the opener as a smal fav. In Feb the Hornets lost 3 winnable road games @ Charlotte , @ Memphis and @ Sacramento with the Kings game being the only one decided by more then 5 points (it was 6points). Since the home win vs Seattle the Hornets are just 2-8 SU. However while that looks bad look at the competition : 8pt loss @ Cleveland , 11pt loss @ Chi , home loss to Utah , 15 pt loss @ Denver where they had won in OT recently , 1pt loss in Pho and 10pt loss in Utah , and 4 pt home loss to NJN before the Was embarrasment. Which it hasnt been noted that they did arrive 3 AM Sat morning for that game. So that had to be a negative effect in a b2b situtaion where they had won the previous night.

Right now Boston has a short bench with Olowokondi , Green , Ray and Powe. So really its depending on Rondo , West , Jefferson and Pierce. The leader Pierce only avgs 21 ppg on 41% shooting is his career vs the Hornets.

Some quotes regarding the Celtics ATS road record : "I think a lot of (Boston’s) success is a case of catching some teams in the right situation where they are overlooking them,” says professional handicapper David Jones. “Teams read the papers, they are aware of Boston’s record. A lot of teams just don’t bring the focus needed to cover these big spreads.”

"The marketplace hasn’t caught up to the Celtics,” says Jones.

“This is one of those spots where you may lose a point of value because of overreaction to the win against San Antonio,” says Jones. “There is also the possibility that they would come out flat after the big win. New Orleans is also playing for that eighth playoff spot in the West and is a good bet (18-13-1 against the spread) at home.
“Then again, it’s tough to go against a team that is (25-9 against the spread) on the road.”

So if the Celtics have benefited from teams overlooking and we can guess that after a bad loss NO will be focused here doesnt that erase Boston's best asset? Also if I said I felt the line should be 6.5 and it opened 5.5 with a pro handicapper stating the SA win probably takes a point away from the celts value. Well I have to feel correct that my numbers are accurate and we are getting some value.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1174196720250770.xml&coll=1

http://www.boston.com/sports/basket.../03/18/celtics_end_losing_streak_at_17_years/

Good Luck today. Still looking at the other game:cheers:

How you feel about the total there? I agree Hornets win this one... the cover is the only question.

call me crazy nut but i like ATL tonite

i just cant lay chalk wit sacto on road

As this keeps climbing I like but am cautious. Is the ORL game really making people by into SAC? Like someone said the FT numbers were mind boggling. Actually they should both get to the line about 30 + times tonite. I have to agree though ATL went 4-0 at home before getting smoked away. The best way I can describe it is look at the TB Devil Rays in baseball. They have alot of young talent and can play with teams at home but when they travel it was a disaster especially the 2nd H last year...something like 3 away wins after the break. Same deal with ATL they are young and talented. had basically 4 upsets at home then got smoked by bad teams when they traveled. Probably lok at some way to play the Hawks maybe ML . Like the over but not crazy about the number..:cheers:

Solid writeup today. Also enjoyed you dropping the D-Rays into the mix as well. I take it that somebody is picking up the research for the baseball season. :) GL tonight.

Looks great Sportsnut, tailing you guys tonight. I'd stay away from the Hawks though, they're about to fall off and start looking like the team that was playing last time JJ was out (maybe thats just wishful thinking for a better draft pick). Seems like a crapshoot. GL tonight

nice SN, ill hop aboard with NO. ur doin pretty well in the CTG bracket challenge too. I'm also dippin on depy +295, and over 126.5. im possibly going to depaul next year and this falls into my underdog ML system. im thinkin k st. will take this team a little lightly. For the o/u i think it will be a tight game which is definately better than a blowout for the over. Im a lil surprised to see this line lower than the o/u for georgia/AF. air force is intense on defense and i think they keep georgia around 50. o man, i can't wait til we start absolutely crushin the MLB.

Good Luck jimbo. So far so good in the NCAA tourney . It was tough to post everything I had played for round 2 since I wasnt home. So far so good in the CTG challenge. Somewhat disappointed I switched off nevada and BC to the dogs cause I tried to be different( would have been 30-2 opening round). Albany dumbest pick I ever made. Do kinda like DePaul but really didnt pay CBB any mind today...maybe when I get home...BOL

Thanks BigMoneyHustler- Thanks and Good Luck tonite as well. Love that avatar.

ATL- yeah bro. I am cautious with ATL here. Though I would not weigh there road games into the equation. Its more a matter of how SAC already smoked them w/o JJ at home . Though the correct line here was -2 not 3.5 so maybe a value play for me in that sense if we see 4. Your gonna see 70Fts here IMO unless there is some ref crew that doesnt blow the whistle. BOL

Thanks JPicks. Trying my best to keep my eye on baseball but its rough with the tourney going on. Now that the hectic part is over there will be more time for baseball....I just basically looked for reson to fade TB away 2nd H last year so that stuck in my brain.....BOL

Not going to be around but gonna dabble in a few plays probably...( O145.5 Cuse , O 126.5 DePaul , Depaul +5 and AF -6.5 ) Probbaly in that order of strength as well but nothing that crazy 3 units or less....

Going to try for 4 with ATL take probably 1.5 unit @ +3.5 or +4 & 1.5 unit on the ML...

BOL be back tonite

WOW. Just got home and I guess the Hawks were that easy! I overthought it some but my analogy seems correct. So +145 on the ML (1.5x) = +2.17 units and +1.5 @ +3.5 ...= +3.67 units on that game . Still respectable profit. Waiting to se how the 4th quarter finishes up in NO...

Thanks BigMoney . Satyr and Pirate88.

Couldnt ask for better. Hornets won in convincing fashion . I was "wise" enough to lay off the game Under and play Boston team Under instead. So that feels like a double win. Then hit the Hawks ML and +3.5 small. Even NCAAB went well . Lost the Cuse total by a bucket and won the rest (Depaul and over and AF)..so 3-1 is good for me....

Now we have to figure out Tuesday....

Thanks BigMoney . Satyr and Pirate88.

Couldnt ask for better. Hornets won in convincing fashion . I was "wise" enough to lay off the game Under and play Boston team Under instead. So that feels like a double win. Then hit the Hawks ML and +3.5 small. Even NCAAB went well . Lost the Cuse total by a bucket and won the rest (Depaul and over and AF)..so 3-1 is good for me....

Now we have to figure out Tuesday....

Sportnut - did you see how the game ended ? The total was at 192, and the Hornets, with 26.9 on the shot clock, ran it down, and turned the ball over with about 6 seconds to go....Boston tried to score, and the Hornets instead fouled Green, and weren't happy that he tried to score when they didn't on the other end. Green hits the free throws, and the game goes over!

THATS MY BOY SN. i grabbed NO -5 and ML with ya, and im happy as hell you grabbed depaul and over and we just won everything. I was 4-0 today with depaul ML +195, so it was a good day for all. I got a few offers on matchbook right now, over 209 NJ/den- i think this will be at 200 at the end of the third =). under 209 min/pho, -9.5 hou, wiz and im askin for -105 ML HAHHAHA.

Spider - I was watching that total drift up all day wondering why? So it was one of those odd moves that caused me to rethink it. Figured Boston wouldnt crack 90 here and 93/93.5 had some value. I cant tell you how many 'odd' moves I see throughout a year that finish like this. I dont think its a fix or anything but I do wonder if someone has the final scores? Maybe travel back in time and buy the sports almanac. Its so fishy that they end this way....Its plain weird.....

THATS MY BOY SN. i grabbed NO -5 and ML with ya, and im happy as hell you grabbed depaul and over and we just won everything. I was 4-0 today with depaul ML +195, so it was a good day for all. I got a few offers on matchbook right now, over 209 NJ/den- i think this will be at 200 at the end of the third =). under 209 min/pho, -9.5 hou, wiz and im askin for -105 ML HAHHAHA.

Zach is out I think so that is destroying the possibility of that ML happening. Really havent looked much at the card yet. You deserve the assist for my CBB success tonite. I wasnt gonna get involved but I said let me take a quick look and even my leans of Cuse and Miss over hit. So thats why people who ask questions never, ever irrate me. There can always be a silver lining. I wasnt home till late 3rd quarter so I didnt have to stomach the 1st Q which is always great. Happy I was productive today for sure...that would have been wasted effort had NO not hit!
:cheers:

Nice call on leaning Boston UNDER. It just semed like a better fit for having NOK -5... and turned out to hit both. Good look

Back