2023 MLB bullpens

HUNT

CTG Partner
Staff member
Anyone ever remember a year as bad as this one for blown leads, saves, lot of runs in 8th/9th, etc.?

As a long suffering Texas Rangers fan, I'm painfully acquainted with shitty bullpens and these last few years, it has seemed to infect the whole league.

I heard/read somewhere recently that the ERA for innings 7-9 is on pace to be historically bad this year.

As a long suffering Texas Rangers fan, I'm painfully acquainted with shitty bullpens and these last few years, it has seemed to infect the whole league.

I heard/read somewhere recently that the ERA for innings 7-9 is on pace to be historically bad this year.

Alright, I'm glad it wasn't just me. I notice it every day. It's mind boggling. Even the best teams struggle.

I saw your Rangers game today, Astros almost blew that one.

Top teams leading after 8..just a reference..

Giants 47-0
Twins 43-0
Pirates 40-0

Teams you really wouldn't even think of.

I do trust Doval and Bednar more than most though.

Dodgers/Jays on right now is a perfect example of how alot of these games go...

3-2 after first 3 innings

0-0 4th-7th inning

8 runs in 8th and 9th and we're tied at 7 in B9 after Dodgers were down 7-3 in B9..go to extras. Extras seem to be a daily thing, even 2 or 3 daily.

Nats just scored 3 in the bottom of the 9th with Daniel Bard walking in the tying run, 2 outs on 4 pitches (I think it was) to Ildemaro Vargas.

Edit: 4-1 all game, and now walk it off with 4 in the bottom of the 9th....

Not sure why these managers aren't allowing starters to go longer. Not uncommon for teams to get to face 4+ pitchers these days and simple probability says that at least one won't be on point on a given day

Not sure why these managers aren't allowing starters to go longer. Not uncommon for teams to get to face 4+ pitchers these days and simple probability says that at least one won't be on point on a given day
I think stretching starters can create a similar risk of not knowing how the pitcher will perform plus the health risk

I think stretching starters can create a similar risk of not knowing how the pitcher will perform plus the health risk
That's kind of the point though. Are these guys more concerned about health or winning? To sacrifice winning by overextending the bullpen due to starter health seems to defeat the purpose. We know for a fact that running out 3+ relievers every game isn't working. KC managed to do it in 2015 well but even their 3 guys needed days off. Even the best pens are getting hit up a bit this season.

Another example right now. Lugo for SD goes 7 innings, 3 hits, no walks and 84 pitches. Reliever comes in and gives up a leadoff hit. They're down 2-1 and maybe that hit won't matter but what's the point of taking Lugo out anyway when he's clearly on, just gave up a couple bombs today.

The likelihood that you'll get another two pitchers at this point to be on their game has to be less than expecting a guy that's cruising to suddenly go South.

That's kind of the point though. Are these guys more concerned about health or winning? To sacrifice winning by overextending the bullpen due to starter health seems to defeat the purpose. We know for a fact that running out 3+ relievers every game isn't working. KC managed to do it in 2015 well but even their 3 guys needed days off. Even the best pens are getting hit up a bit this season.

I agree with you KJ.

I also think the pitch clock has something to do with it. There's no routine for these relievers who are a nervous bunch to begin with. The hitters have already adjusted throughout the game and the pitchers come in cold and have to be fast.

Reactions: KJ
Another example right now. Lugo for SD goes 7 innings, 3 hits, no walks and 84 pitches. Reliever comes in and gives up a leadoff hit. They're down 2-1 and maybe that hit won't matter but what's the point of taking Lugo out anyway when he's clearly on, just gave up a couple bombs today.

The likelihood that you'll get another two pitchers at this point to be on their game has to be less than expecting a guy that's cruising to suddenly go South.
84 pitches is ridiculously low (unless that’s Lugo‘s norm, I know he used to be a reliever)

Bradish lasted exactly 2 hitless innings, his live innings total went from 19.5 to 14.5 in less than 15 minutes

They have a soft 9.5 out right now. Gonna see if these pitchers can survive one more inning, then hit the over 8.5

They have a soft 9.5 out right now. Gonna see if these pitchers can survive one more inning, then hit the over 8.5
DK has 8.5 -325 now, 9 is -230

Going to wait til the 7th is over I think but like the idea

Never fails, bet over and an instant k with a runner is scoring position

Fundamental hitting is the one wrench in this whole experiment

Never fails, bet over and an instant k with a runner is scoring position

Fundamental hitting is the one wrench in this whole experiment

It will even out. THis might go to extras, every game in this series has been close.

It will even out. THis might go to extras, every game in this series has been close.
My experience is not positive in extras when all a team needs to do is get a runner home from 2nd with no outs

7 called strikes in the bottom of the 8th for the Phils, hope they really enjoyed the view

This one over, but just keep an eye on this, you'll notice a lot of overs.
It really points to how shitty a lot of these BP pitchers are, scared to give in and throw strikes when we'll likely see some of the worst offensive stats in our lifetimes.

Orioles, M's and Stros are my three favorite pens in general, obviously need to look more in to those teams that hold the lead in the 9th for sure. Crazy that simply throwing strikes can make you millions yet a lot of these guys still refuse to or can't.

It really points to how shitty a lot of these BP pitchers are, scared to give in and throw strikes when we'll likely see some of the worst offensive stats in our lifetimes.

Orioles, M's and Stros are my three favorite pens in general, obviously need to look more in to those teams that hold the lead in the 9th for sure. Crazy that simply throwing strikes can make you millions yet a lot of these guys still refuse to or can't.

Yeah, I agree. It's pretty crazy. I like the stros pen too but there should be a lot of runs tonight. Texas and Stros both raking off each other.

Yeah, I agree. It's pretty crazy. I like the stros pen too but there should be a lot of runs tonight. Texas and Stros both raking off each other.
Reason I did FF in the parlay and likely will going forward

Last 3 innings all over are so unpredictable

Joe Kelly happened to have no command tonight. Hard to know when a given reliever will have this problem or not

This makes sense with guys like Bautista, Cano, Pressly, Neris, Abreu, Munoz, Sewald

SF and MIL too - Rogers/Doval and Payamps/Williams

Last edited:
Back