2016 Coaching Changes

This has to be a move that the players dictated. Otherwise it makes zero sense. I don't know how anyone couldn't think he didn't excede expectations with the hand he was dealt.

But again, this is a league where the inmates run the asylum and dictate to management who they want to be coached by, play with and how hard they want everyone's lips to push when they kiss their ass cheeks.

Ridiculous.

Not surprising. I've heard Larry Bird say players start to tune out the coach after about three years unless you're one of the very best. I'll trust Larry Bird on this decision.

Not surprising. I've heard Larry Bird say players start to tune out the coach after about three years unless you're one of the very best. I'll trust Larry Bird on this decision.

Wish the nets waited.... Whoever gets Vogel is very fortunate. Good coach.

This has to be a move that the players dictated. Otherwise it makes zero sense. I don't know how anyone couldn't think he didn't excede expectations with the hand he was dealt.

But again, this is a league where the inmates run the asylum and dictate to management who they want to be coached by, play with and how hard they want everyone's lips to push when they kiss their ass cheeks.

Ridiculous.

:mean4:

@THE_SPORTS_DOC Pacers draft picks since 2011:

M Turner
J Young
L Labyrie
S Hill
C Iverson
M Plumlee
D Bertans
traded away Kawhi for G Hill
#VogelsFault

We can all bag on the kawhi trade , but wasn't the hill trade a necessity because of the cap?

As someone who followed Kawhi"s college career no one thought he would turn out to be the player he is today.

We can all bag on the kawhi trade , but wasn't the hill trade a necessity because of the cap?

As someone who followed Kawhi"s college career no one thought he would turn out to be the player he is today.

How would it be necessary to trade for a higher salaried player ? And while I agree nobody thought Kawhi would turn into the offensive player he has become, I think everybody knew he could rebound and would be an elite defender at this level. At the time the Pacers had an all-star in Danny Granger and a young Paul George who they loved on the wings so I think they made the move based on a need to bolster their backcourt and Hill was a local kid with high character that they knew would resign w/ them.

What sucks is the timing for Vogel and for teams that have just made hires...I think the Lakers would have loved to hire Vogel.

Bet Bird hires Mchale.

I thought Pop had to get rid of him because of cap space, could be wrong on that.

Did pop really want to get rid of Hill or was he forced to?

I thought Pop had to get rid of him because of cap space, could be wrong on that.

Was still a year away, and not a reason for the Pacers to make the deal. Pop fucking loved George Hill and in no way wanted him gone but nobody would take Richard Jefferson off our hands and the Spurs weren't going to go into luxury tax area to keep him. Pacers really liked Hill as well, and a draft night trade almost happened the year before until Paul George was still there so Indiana kept the pick. Pacers also loved Kawhi and were shocked he was still there but were set at the wings and so the deal happened.

Pop made the call to Hill to tell him in person and reportedly was very emotional and crying.

Pop on Hill several years ago:

"He worked so hard before practice, after practice," Popovich said. "He became a team favorite. It was fun to see that growth in him. At the same time, he's an unbelievable person. He'd be flying people in from Indianapolis to San Antonio to do things.
"Nobody would know it. It wasn't for the camera. He's an incredible human being. I just fell in love with him overall.

[h=1]Mike WellsESPN Staff Writer [/h]
wells_mike_m.jpg

It's interesting that Larry Bird told Frank Vogel about his decision not to renew his contract over the phone. He let Rick Carlisle (2007) and Jim O'Brien (2001) go in person. Carlisle and Bird sat and talked for a while after he let him go. O'Brien was with Bird when he called Vogel in 2011 to let him know that he was being named interim coach.

Larry Bird says #Pacers job is desirable: "We're Hoosiers, and we treat people - well, other than today - we treat people pretty good."

Since 2011, same year Vogel started coaching Pacers, only Heat & Bulls have had better win % in Eastern Conference.

Always have thought of Bird as an asshole. But today I realize he's a moron as well. I just don't understand. Vogel won't have any problem finding a job.

Kings would be absolute fools to not give him an offer. He will control Cousins. Not too big of a market, like Indiana, and I think Vogel prefers that. I hope he goes there but looks like the odds are its Houston....

I heard Van Gundy make a good point early in the week about the ripple effect of blow calls. I didn't see how the Pacers lost the series, but apparently some of it could be blamed on a blown call—which was acknowledged by the refs. If that call doesn't happen, the Pacers are still playing and Vogel almost certainly keeps his job. It does happen, he gets fired, and the guy in Toronto gets an extension.

It was an interesting point.

Dave Joerger FIRED???

Are you fucking kidding me? Many people thought he deserved COY consideration. Unreal.

Wow! Skiles resigned from the Magic gig! After one year only... with the way Magic defense looked like, it was hard to believe it's Skiles team, but still... shocking (at least to me)!

Unbelievable. D'Antoni to the rockets. I honestly cannot understand wtf that team is thinking. Hahaha fantastic in some ways for betting purposes. I'm giddy.

Well it may signal the end of the James Harden dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, shoot or drive offense at least. Need quick shots in D'Antoni's offense...Harden gonna have a dribble restriction on him...you get 2 dribbles and figure it the fuck out James.

Well it may signal the end of the James Harden dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, shoot or drive offense at least. Need quick shots in D'Antoni's offense...Harden gonna have a dribble restriction on him...you get 2 dribbles and figure it the fuck out James.

D'antoni has had a big impact on where the league has come. But that's history. Believe it or not you have to play defense to win rings. The rockets could go ahead and win 60 games. Great. Just dandy. They'll get plummeted in the playoffs. Should go to college imho.

Back