2014 Hall of Fame Class

guaranteeed

Pretty much a regular
ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">3m</small>
Your 2014 Hall of Fame class: Michael Strahan, Derrick Brooks, Walter Jones, Aeneas Williams, Andre Reed, Ray Guy, Claude Humphrey.

decades too late but good for Ray Guy to finally get in

not sure how Andre Reed gets in before Marvin Harrison and Tim Brown though

not voting in Charles Haley continues to be embarrassing

Who does Tim Brown need to blow to get in? His numbers are a shit ton better than Andre Reed.

Reed only had four 1000 yard seasons playing in a passing attack like Buffalo had back in the day. Brown had nine seasons in a row over 1000. I can go on and on.

Good ode for them for finally acknowledging Ray Guy.

Ray-Guy-USPstoryAl-Davis-jpg_021458.jpg

AL Davis says "It's about fucking time!".

Who does Tim Brown need to blow to get in? His numbers are a shit ton better than Andre Reed.

Reed only had four 1000 yard seasons playing in a passing attack like Buffalo had back in the day. Brown had nine seasons in a row over 1000. I can go on and on.

Good ode for them for finally acknowledging Ray Guy.

Agree that Brown should be in, I can't believe he still isn't in. But Buffalo wasn't exactly a passing attack back in the day, they ran a no huddle (K Gun) which is what they were known for. They did have that guy Thurman Thomas who was always near/at the top of the rushing leaders, and he was obviously a key point in their offense. I'm just saying you can't discount any of Reed's stats based on him playing in a pass happy offense when he didn't play in a pass happy offense (Kelly only twice threw for over 3,500 yards, and one of those was in his rookie season where he threw for 3,593 yds).

Brown's #s are better than Reed's, and he should be in there before Reed, I agree with you completely. If you look at the stats though, Oakland's offenses were more pass heavy than Buffalo's back then, at the very least they were the same. I wouldn't be using that as an argument as to why Brown isn't in, I'm just pointing out that the opposite of what you said about Buffalo and Reed is actually true.

Agree that Brown should be in, I can't believe he still isn't in. But Buffalo wasn't exactly a passing attack back in the day, they ran a no huddle (K Gun) which is what they were known for. They did have that guy Thurman Thomas who was always near/at the top of the rushing leaders, and he was obviously a key point in their offense. I'm just saying you can't discount any of Reed's stats based on him playing in a pass happy offense when he didn't play in a pass happy offense (Kelly only twice threw for over 3,500 yards, and one of those was in his rookie season where he threw for 3,593 yds).

Brown's #s are better than Reed's, and he should be in there before Reed, I agree with you completely. If you look at the stats though, Oakland's offenses were much more pass heavy than Buffalo's back then. I wouldn't be using that as an argument as to why Brown isn't in, I'm just pointing out that the opposite of what you said about Buffalo and Reed is actually true.
+1

Aeneas williams? Meh

Reed getting in ahead of others is embarrassing.
Does this open the door for other punters and kickers? I mean ray guy was good in his day but he ain't got shit on Sean landeta or Jeff feagles

Brown's #s are better than Reed's, and he should be in there before Reed, I agree with you completely. If you look at the stats though, Oakland's offenses were more pass heavy than Buffalo's back then, at the very least they were the same. I wouldn't be using that as an argument as to why Brown isn't in, I'm just pointing out that the opposite of what you said about Buffalo and Reed is actually true.

Jim Kelly throwing to one guy ... Jeff Hostetler, Jay shroeder, vince evans, steve beurlein, billy joe hobert, todd marinovich, jeff George wade Wilson, rich gannon throwing to the other .... Just saying.

Guy was the first pure punter ever to be drafted in the first round when the Raiders selected him with the 23rd overall pick in 1973. He never missed a game or had a punt returned for a touchdown, and over the years developed a knack for pinning teams back in their own end, and for punting out of bounds. In 1985, 31 of his 89 punts were downed inside the 20-yard line.
"He changed the game," former Raiders head coach Tom Flores said. "There was no one like him before, and he became the model for punters after that."

Jim Kelly throwing to one guy ... Jeff Hostetler, Jay shroeder, vince evans, steve beurlein, billy joe hobert, todd marinovich, jeff George wade Wilson, rich gannon throwing to the other .... Just saying.

Say it all you want, I didn't disagree that Brown is more deserving. In fact, I said as much at least twice. I simply rebutted the point that was made...and the QBs wasn't the point.

looking at next year's 1st time possibilities

seems to be Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Edgerrin James, Ty Law, Kevin Mawae, Orlando Pace, Junior Seau, Kurt Warner

Seau/Warner/Pace are locks IMO, they always seem to take a WR as well so my guess is Timmy and Harrison get in next year with those 3, Shields, and Haley

seems to be Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Edgerrin James, Ty Law, Kevin Mawae, Orlando Pace, Junior Seau, Kurt Warner

Seau/Warner/Pace are locks IMO, they always seem to take a WR as well so my guess is Timmy and Harrison get in next year with those 3, Shields, and Haley

Makes sense to me teed. I sure hope Brown and Harrison get in as they are both clearly deserving and it must get tiresome for someone like Brown to have to continue to answer questions and "defend" the career he had.

Not looking but wouldnt Harrison(Marvin I assume), be in way before Touchdown Tim Brown

Who would ya'll say is better?

Receiver seems to be the toughie going forward with this pass happy shiz

Throw Kurt in eventually?

The rest look......meh, right?

Maybe Mawae ;)

Back