2013 Summer League

nbafan88

Pretty much a regular
I don't really dabble in summer league much but if anyone wants to post some thoughts I think we can do so in here...

[h=1]2013 Las Vegas Summer League Game Rules[/h]
Posted Jul 8, 2013 3:05 PM
Related Links: New tournament format for Las Vegas Summer League | Tournament Bracket
All-non tournament games played during the NBA Summer League will be played under the following rules:
130501075718-summer-league-logo-small-body-copy.story-body.jpg

• Four (4) ten minute (:10) quarters
• Eight minute (:08) halftime
• Ten minute (:10) warm up period prior to the start of each game
• Two minute (:02) minute overtime period
• Each team is allowed one (1) 60-second timeout
• Penalty begins on the 2nd team foul
• The second overtime period (or any overtime period thereafter) is sudden death (first team to score a point wins)
• Teams are in the penalty on the 10th team foul or 2nd team foul in the last two (2) minutes
• Players foul out with their 10th personal foul
• Each team will receive two (2) full timeouts (60 seconds) per half
• Mandatory timeouts (60 seconds) will be taken at the first stoppage of play after 5:59 and 2:59 of each quarter
• A 60-second timeout taken by a team will negate the next mandatory timeout due in that quarter
All other NBA rules apply.
Tournament games played during the NBA Summer League will be played under the same playing rules as the non-tournament games except:
• Players foul out with their 6th personal foul during the tournament
• All overtime periods are two minutes (:02)

first year of the tournament.... pretty cool

[h=1]Las Vegas Summer League Tournament Bracket and Schedule[/h]
Posted Jul 8, 2013 2:58 PM
2013 Las Vegas Summer League will feature the debut of a tournament style schedule that will crown the first ever NBA Summer League Champion on Monday, July 22. Teams will compete in three preliminary round games from July 12-16 before being seeded in a tournament running through the Championship Game on July 22. Each team is guaranteed to play at least five games.
Below is the tournament format and seeding for games played beginning July 17 after the preliminary games are played.

LV-bracket.jpg

Summer league ball on NBA channel all night. Not bad to watch.. sometimes

Lol its up n down street ball basically from rookies, undrafted guys n vets who bounced around playing in other countries trying to catch on for a training camp invite. there is no great info

Lol its up n down street ball basically from rookies, undrafted guys n vets who bounced around playing in other countries trying to catch on for a training camp invite. there is no great info

Bingo. Waiting for the nba guru to provide us an angle..

The commentators give good behind the scene information about the players that actually are on the team roster. Might not be of importance to that great of an extent but it's useful.

Can you give us some of that useful information? Is it something like Pondexter has been working on his jumpshot this offseason? If that is the case you are correct that is very useful when making bets..

When I say commentators I mean the post game interviews as well. I'm not really sure why you wouldn't want to see player interviews.

This was talked about in the last cavs game.

Dion Waiters will relinquish all point guard duties in new coach Mike Brown's system. (AP Photo/Tony Dejak)
View Larger Version >>
Dion Waiters' role will be simplified this season under Mike Brown. He's the shooting guard, period. And the second word in that position is much more important to Brown than the first.

"I’m viewing him strictly as a 2-guard," Brown said.

Former coach Byron Scott tried limiting Waiters to strictly shooting guard last year, but Waiters struggled adjusting to playing without the ball in his hands all the time, so Scott relented and allowed Waiters to run the point for long stretches. Brown is reverting back to making Waiters play off the ball, but made it clear the "guard" in his title is much, much more important than the "shooting."

"I even told Dion, 'You could go 0 for 20 for all I care. Shoot the ball every time you touch it. Don’t make a shot. I’m not looking at that right now because we’ll correct that part,'" Brown said. "I just want to see the little things that add up to championship level basketball. Each game I thought he’s gotten a little bit better in those areas."

Brown likes the way Waiters is moving without the ball during summer league, grabbing rebounds and scrambling after 50/50 balls. Waiters seemed to talk more defensively in Thursday's victory over the San Antonio Spurs and seemed more aware on the court defensively.

Brown has held lengthy, individual film sessions with both Waiters and Tyler Zeller emphasizing the hustle plays.

With Waiters removed from the role, Brown said the point guard duties will belong to Kyrie Irving and Jarrett Jack. The Cavs could have room to carry a third point guard. Right now, the most likely candidates would seem to be Matthew Dellavedova or Cory Higgins, both of whom have played well in summer league.

The Cavs have two open roster spots following Friday's release of both Kevin Jones and Chris Quinn.

They talked about the relationship between waiters and mike brown and how brown has full trust in waiters.

You don't think that matters? Gtfo.

But yes it is just up and down street ball. What else do you expect from players that are trying to prove their individual ability trying to get paid? What do you expect out of guys that just were grouped together and asked to play. Maybe a few practices? Obviously it's not going to be good visual basketball

Back