2013 MLB All-Star Team

• Thread starter Thread starter Son_of_A_Legend
  • Start date Start date
S

Son_of_A_Legend

Don't understand why there hasn't been a topic about this year's game yet, so ...

Who deserves to be the starting pitcher for both squads?

What players have earned their way on to the team this season?

Should the winning team still retain home field advantage for thier league in the World Series?

I hope AL starts Mariano...I hate the Evil Empire, but, he's simply a living legend. I know he said he doesn't wanna start, but, chance game is a blowout and he doesn't get to throw any meaningful pitches at the end. Just think it would be a great way for him to go out in his final All-Star game.

On the NL side...tough call, I personally hope Kershaw, but, not enough W's to get the nod, I don't think. Really sick numbers between Kershaw/Harvey/Wainwright/Zimmerman. Most deserving is probably Wainwright with 11 wins, great ERA/WHIP, but what sets him apart from the rest I think is his 4 complete games and 2 shutouts.

Many will argue, but, I think Puig has definitely earned his way onto the team in a very short period of time. Another guy that has earned his way imo is a guy that I think most baseball fans have never even heard of... Jean Segura of the Brewers. Sick numbers, ranked #7 batter in all of baseball right now based on fantasy numbers.

Not sure about the home field advantage controversy. I'm still kinda on the fence on that one.

I hope AL starts Mariano...I hate the Evil Empire, but, he's simply a living legend. I know he said he doesn't wanna start, but, chance game is a blowout and he doesn't get to throw any meaningful pitches at the end. Just think it would be a great way for him to go out in his final All-Star game.

On the NL side...tough call, I personally hope Kershaw, but, not enough W's to get the nod, I don't think. Really sick numbers between Kershaw/Harvey/Wainwright/Zimmerman. Most deserving is probably Wainwright with 11 wins, great ERA/WHIP, but what sets him apart from the rest I think is his 4 complete games and 2 shutouts.

Many will argue, but, I think Puig has definitely earned his way onto the team in a very short period of time. Another guy that has earned his way imo is a guy that I think most baseball fans have never even heard of... Jean Segura of the Brewers. Sick numbers, ranked #7 batter in all of baseball right now based on fantasy numbers.

Not sure about the home field advantage controversy. I'm still kinda on the fence on that one.

Interesting idea for the AL starter. Since most pitch only one or two innings, when one pitches shouldn't matter, should it? If they don't go that route the Tigers might have the starter with their undefeated ace.

In the NL, it looks like Wainwright will get the call.

The problem I have with the winning squad getting home field advantage is, is wouldn't seem fair if a team with 88 wins has four games at home in the World Series against a team that has 92.

Thanks for your response.

Anyone else?

Max is 13-0 but do not believe/also hope he shouldn't start.

And yes, last years fiasco is in my head, lol. See what Jimmah does.

wainwright should w/o a doubt be the nl starter, dont even see how there a argument for anyone else..wish sf would stop stuffing the ballet box cause yadi should be starting at catcher, best defensive catcher and leads the league in hitting, damn sf fans always stuffing the box.. i have no problem with putting puig in the gm, dude is fun to watch and that what all star gm supposed to be.. which brings the should home field be decided by this gm? hell no it shouldnt, i mean i guess if it between that and what they used to do just alternating each yr it really doesnt matter but one would think team with the better record getting hf is only fair way of doing it especially now that there so many interleague gms..

Mariano said that he in no way shape or form wants to start the game. He's a closer and that's that.

I like the home field aspect. It's not like it matters as much in baseball anyway compared to the other sports.

I disagree without reservation. How many teams have scored in the top of an extra inning, only to concede more in the bottom of that same extra inning & so lose the game, almost can't be counted. Teams who score in the bottom of (the 9th, or) an extra inning don't have to come back out & defend that score: they win on the spot. Batting last is a huge advantage (the counter point to that, of batting first re top of the 1st, is an almost meaningless compensation by comparison), and since only home teams ever bat last in a tied situation then HFA is where it's at. Absolute stupidity to tie winning that advantage to some game which contains at least 80-90% of players who are never going to be impacted by having that advantage (or not), yet their performances are tied into it's outcome? Did Bozo the clown decide on this? You generate a better record over 162 games than what your WS opponent has, then you've rightfully earned batting last a potential 4 times.

Baseball is the only sport in which home field provides a strategic edge by the rules. Last ups are last ups. Plus the dimensions and quirks vary park to park, suiting the team more familiar with the home field. Hinging this advantage on the results of an exhibition game is absurd.

hmmm i think someone else can answer this better but I believe in soccer, clubs can have different size pitches no? MLS no idea.

international soccer standardized the dimensions but I think that only applies to international matches?

Back