2009 Southern Hemisphere Plays

BetCrimes1984

CTG Big Brother
I'll post my thoughts on various things later, but for now -

Small bet on Canterbury/Canterbury half-full double @+100

The Hurricanes are the Crusaders' bitches. Nothing about the way either team has started this season suggests tonight will see anything different. I'd take the spread but to my mind this HT option for the Fav is wrongly priced and, with live betting, there's a way to deal with it being a winner or loser come half-time. These teams have little to no history of the team leading at halftime going on to lose, so as long as the home team leads at halftime....

Super 14 - Round 5, Friday games in NZ & Oz

Blues vs Cheetahs
The Hurricanes weak performance against these bums from South Africa has played into the spread for this game being more reasonable than it should be. I just don't want any part of having my team to need to win by 20+ points to win a bet.

Brumbies vs Waratahs
The Tahs are Australia's class outfit in the Super 14, while the Brumbies haven't done shit on the field, facing 3 sides of dubious strength, barely winning 2 and losing the 3rd. Will be looking to live betting in this one. Every game ACT has played in, the team trailing at half-time has won, which is an exceedingly rare occurrence.

Super 14, Round 6

Highlanders vs Bulls
Otago in recent seasons has generally had the pattern of putting in 2-3 decent efforts and then putting in a dud, so they've done well enough ATS despite regularly getting thrashed. This season they've lost 2 very close games, then lost badly in putting in what was basically a dud, then won a close game, lost a close game, then won a game that was closer than the score suggests. Their inherent team identity/pattern therefore screams dud coming up - why not here against arguably the best side in the comp (back to it's title winning form of 2 seasons ago, after having last season off in the shadow of that 07 glory) at a venue that the Bulls have stated they're quite happy to play at to avoid going down South? The Bulls have had less travel involved here than Otago, and are no strangers to this venue having played Wellington there before. Weather has been good recently in the lower Nth Island and being a 5.30 pm start any potential freezing conditions as winter nears should be averted. So not only does the venue provide no advantage for the 'home' team, the weather doesn't look to play into anything that would favour them either.

The Bulls have the Crusaders next week, and the 'Tahs the week after, so even thou they're undefeated (5-0) they know they could easily be facing an 0-3 run should they drop this game. Their forwards monstered Wellington last week even playing with 14 men, and frankly despite the close game Otago had with Wellington themselves, that same performance repeated here for the Bulls w/15 men for 80 mins (the fact the Bulls got handed so many bullshit yellows last week should see the ref here be very reluctant to do the same) should beat Otago by 15-20 pts aligned with the factors I noted above.

The bet: To be getting +105 for the Bulls to lead at half-time & win SU to me is too tempting to pass by. Otago has totaled 40 points in 6 x 1st halves of rugby this season (that's a whopping 6.66 pt average for those math challenged), with nearly half of that amount (19) coming in their first game, highlighting the fact that intelligent use of the ball in the red zone is where this team blows goats - 6-7 pts scored by Otago here come half-time will not be enough to lead this Bulls team. Playing into this option's occurrence is the fact that (1) no favourite has led at halftime for 7 consecutive Super 14 games, and (2) no favourite has led at halftime & won SU in Australia or NZ for 10 consecutive Super 14 games, both statistical highs by my records.

Bulls/Bulls half-fulltime double at +105 (2k)

Retitled this thread since I intend to post any Southern hemisphere non-live betting play (and maybe even a few live plays) I make in here.

New Zealand vs India - 3rd Cricket Test
Bottom line for anyone interested but as yet unaware: when India takes NZ seriously, NZ cannot compete with India in Test cricket unless the pitch is woeful. Word coming out of Wellington for this 3rd Test is that the pitch is not woeful by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, while 8 of the last 10 tests at Wellington have produced a result, the groundsman is reporting an un-Wellington like strip for this series deciding game, something Daniel Vettori was clearly not happy about when interviewed on TV. This strip again resembles what was seen at Napier, which automatically indicates India's batting will be too much to expect NZ to take 20 wickets in this test. That opens up various betting options which will been seen to hold value in my eyes depending on who bats first, since the most this pitch will offer IMO is to that team who bowls first.

India to have the 1st innings lead (-200 at my only book w/the option) strikes me as the pre-game bet to look at in light of the toss result. The visiting team badly wants to win this test series and will not repeat their 1st inning sin at Napier of not treating NZ with respect, where they thought if the home team could put up 600+ runs with ease then they could bat without real resolve and easily manage something similar. So IMO we punters are guaranteed that India will knuckle down from ball 1 (Sehwag as always being the exception, as he just refuses to rate NZ's bowling at all) which combined with them getting to bowl first (the best of the bowling conditions) sets the stage for this bet being a very strong one. Outside of Ryder & McCullum & to a lesser extent Taylor, NZ has too much softness in it's batting lineup to expect them to come off again as per Napier's 1st inning. No NZ'er has ever scored a century in 3 straight tests, so a history of stats indicates a failure for Ryder first up, and McCullum hasn't scored a 50 in 3 straight innings in his Test career either, so stats indicate after innings of 84 & 115 in his last 2 knocks that a failure for him is on the cards as well. Keying into an expected Ryder failure is the fact that his individual O/U for the 1st innings is 30.5 runs: a very low total considering he's scored 100+ runs in the 1st innings in each of the previous 2 Tests of this series. This option could easily be 35.5/40.5 runs with the same odds and noone would blink an eyelid. This line is begging for Over action.
NZ batting first w/the knowledge both these critical batsmen fail to make any real impact? no bettor in their right mind would then pass up taking India for the 1st inning lead even at these odds.

Overall I lean on a draw result, more so if India bats first hence NZ get the best of the batting conditions. But a side result I'll leave to live betting. One can only hope some more insane odds are available midway through day 4 of this Test as they were for the draw (@ 1.87) in the Napier Test.

Last edited:
3rd Test, Day 1 review
India of course had to bat 1st, so thoughts of taking them to lead on the 1st inning quickly fell by the wayside. At 204/6 it looked like I'd made the right call to pass - at 375/9 at close of play it's strongly looking to be a winner. However live betting comes through yet again, although there were a couple of very close calls with Dhoni scoring 52 & Singh 60.

3rd Test, Day 2 preview
Not placing any pre-start of play bets. Hope to see the NZ TAB offering the NZ hit bat option in live betting as they did w/India's option yesterday. Beautiful weather for Day 2, going to be really interesting to see how much India's bowlers get from this track, which will reveal whether it was their bad batting or the pitch truly holding something for the bowlers to explain their falling into being 204/6 at one stage on Day 1. That knowledge will dictate how I approach betting the rest of this test - the draw is still paying a healthy +225, and India won't hesitate to shut up shop again to win this test series, so NZ scoring a really decent score would be my preference.

3rd Test, Day 2 review
New Zealand's pathetic 2nd day effort has pretty much killed my betting interest in this game. By the time it was obvious Taylor's miniscule score would be enough to top score in NZ's inning, it was too late to back him in live betting for decent odds.
India will win, so anyone who wants part of a mighty solid -670 ml, don't hesitate - weather forecast is very good, and NZ's batting is very bad. Expect the home side to have to bat days 4 & 5 facing 500+ to win. That's as likely as GW being elected the US president again.

I should also note, of course India easily leads on the 1st inning, congrats to those who backed them to do so even in batting 1st.

Last edited:
3rd Test, Day 2 review
New Zealand's pathetic 2nd day effort has pretty much killed my betting interest in this game. By the time it was obvious Taylor's miniscule score would be enough to top score in NZ's inning, it was too late to back him in live betting for decent odds.
India will win, so anyone who wants part of a mighty solid -670 ml, don't hesitate - weather forecast is very good, and NZ's batting is very bad. Expect the home side to have to bat days 4 & 5 facing 500+ to win. That's as likely as GW being elected the US president again.

Are you saying the -670 is a big value ?

i dont see live betting anywhere for me anyway .. where do you get that ?

Also ,,, any opinion on south sydney facing your warriors ?

vk - I'd personally price India to win at -1000 at least. NZ's only possibility to avoid losing is winning, because there's simply too much time left in this test for them to contrive a draw result (they're not capable of batting 2 days on this pitch to save themselves, day 2 showed this pitch isn't like the one at Napier where NZ did manage to score 600+), and their winning is simply a possibility I cannot conceive of given what happened today.

My live betting comes via 2 South Pacific books that don't allow US customers.

I think the Warriors will beat Souths, based on the fact that they're always an extremely tough side to beat at home, and the fact they'll be playing their 2nd home game in a row following a home loss last week. I can't recall the last time they lost consecutively played home games. But that said, Souths have given them problems in recent seasons, and I'd expect a tight game: wouldn't be suprised if Souths covered ATS. I've got live betting for that one, so even thou league really doesn't get any focus from me until around rounds 9-10, I'll be following this one.

I should add while I could put a few thou on India to pick up an easy collect, the fact I do have live betting combined with the fact imo my home book particularly over reacts to matters, means India could lose a couple of early wickets in the first session of play tomorrow and suddely India could be as high as -400 to win.
So to be absolutely accurate, India is one day's solid work away from being a lock to win, which is why the line is -670 now and not north of -1000. I'm simply of the opinion they will complete that work unhindered, because what happened today has psychologically killed NZ, who are left reflecting overnight that just a day ago they were in the drivers seat when they had India 204/6. In 4 sessions of play India has raped NZ, I can't see how it's possible the home side lifts themselves back up. But they could get an early wicket or 2 and get the Indian line artificially inflated before the best batsman in the world kills them yet again.

3rd Test, Day 3 review
India put in their solid work as expected, NZ needs 500+ runs in 2 days as expected (thou India has yet to declare their 2nd innings as ended, that should come before play begins on Day 4 or very shortly after), but bad weather suddenly comes in sight of the long term weather forecasts (supposedly due sometime on day 5), which was totally unexpected, explaining why India can be had for -400 now.

3rd Test, Day 4 review
What a bizarre day - India literally played like they didnt want to win for 75% of the time, only getting serious for an hour in the middle session. I've never followed a Test day like it. Their almost complete lack of winning intent plus projected inclement weather for Day 5 suddenly opens up the draw result as possibly being worth backing - it all depends on how bad that weather actually looks to be, and whether India keep up with their crazy antics.

Back