2008 NFL Kickoff - Week 1

Bailey81

Pretty much a regular
Gonna give posting/discussing in the NFL forum a shot this year. I've said it before and tell almost everyone I talk to that this is by far one of the best sports websites I've ever come across. The resources this site provides and the great information that is shared by the cappers here I'm sure is appreciated by all. I'm hoping to in some way to contribute to that, and certainly to take what I can from everyone here. I've been in and out of the college bb and MLB forums this year. Things didn't go great there but I've really been looking forward to the NFL since last year. Hopefully this will be a great season for all involved here and we'll all be making some money and having a great time doing it.

With the NFL this year, the first 2-3 weeks will generally feature plays between 1-2 units. I'm looking to make 3-5 plays per week. A fault of mine, like many I think has been making too many plays. Hopefully I can maintain a bit more discipline this year. Will mix in some totals, but prefer the sides for the most part. Weeks 4-10ish seem to have been the most profitable for me the past two years. I guess maybe I get a feel for things...I don't really know, but at that point you may see some bigger plays, but I will usually max out with 5 units. I always appreciate feedback and hope to have a great next couple months here.

Washington @ New York
The Washington Redskins come up to NY looking to build on a decent 2007 season that saw them get to the playoffs and to ruin the ring ceremony and title defense for the Giants. I think the Redskins will have a very similar year in 2008 to what we saw out of them in 2007. 3-5 on the road last year, although one of those was at the Meadowlands. These teams certainly aren't strangers to one another. Last year Washington ranked 30th against the pass, allowing 225 ypg, and 28th overall, giving up 341 ypg. I don't think that bodes well for the Skins on Thursday. Add in the fact that there will certainly be an adjustment period working under the new coaching staff. I like the changes that the Skins have made, but there's usually a transition period for those changes to take effect and prove effective.

On the Giants side, the Super Bowl champs open up at home with a huge divisional rivalry game. We're all aware of the losses for the Giants (Strahan, Shockey, Osi) plus a few other defensive starters from last year's team. However, I think they plug those holes rather effectively. Certainly can't replace Strahan and Osi, but Mathias moving back to DE, Tuck, etc want to show that last year wasn't a fluke and that they can play that great D even without their missing stars. Plaxico looks like he's finally healthy. And although most in NY are still not comfortable with Eli, I'm a believer. I think last year was exactly what Eli needed for his confidence. The offense looked pretty sharp in the preseason, and I expect the same on Thursday. I think Eli learned a lot last year about how to "manage" the game and understands the importance of minimizing the turnovers.

I think the Giants will move the ball pretty well against the Skins and I think that the D will step up and be able to contain Portis and the running game. As I said above I recognize this is in no way the same Giants D from last year, but last year NY was 2nd in rushing allowed at 74 ypg. That may have been due to a generally weak secondary, but Campbell doesn't strike me as a guy that frightens secondaries. I don't see him picking apart the NY secondary. I don't see the Giants shutting down Moss all game, but if they contain him, and the passing game, I think Eli gets the Giants ahead and then they just pound Jacobs and Bradshaw. I think that NY will be better than expected this year and challenge for the NFC East title. Expected this line to be closer to 6 or 7. I just don't think the personnel losses the Giants have experienced will be as big as most are making them out to be. Maybe I'm an idiot, but that's just my thought with this team. Giants win their home opener 24-13.

Play: NY Giants -4 (1 unit)

Added Plays for Sunday:
Eagles -7 bought down from 7.5 (2 units)
Jets -3 even (2 units)
Bengals -1.5 (2 units)
Chiefs +15.5 (1 unit)
SEE BELOW FOR THE WRITEUPS
GLA. Here's to a great season for all.:cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks Blitz, B.A.R, and P.

Great game that I got to go to tonight. Dominating first half for the Giants. The D really played well. Not really sure about the 2H as they the Giants couldn't really put anything together, but Eli looked OK in the 1H especially. Redskins will be team I look at in the second half of the year, once they start to pick up Zorn's system. Could be a decent team down the stretch, but they struggled tonight.

Great to get off to a good start.

Will have some writeup and plays tomorrow for Sunday's action.

GLA.

Good start on Thursday with the G-men.

Sunday plays:
Eagles -7 bought down from 7.5 (2 units)
Jets -3 even (2 units)
Bengals -1.5 (2 units)
Chiefs +15.5 (1 unit)

Writeups to follow in the next hour or so.

Last edited:
Marlo, Blitz, Steed - Thanks

Let's get it started in the right direction today and keep the momentum flowing from Thursday night. A little bit chalky with today's card and like most laying points on the road doesn't always prove to be the most profitable, but we'll see how things work themselves out today.

St. Louis @ Philadelphia
Let me first start off by saying that IMO when Donovan McNabb is healthy he's a top 5 QB, and he enters this year as healthy as he's been in the past 2 seasons. The problem might be that his WRs are a bit banged up. I think we can expect to see big things from rookie WR DeSean Jackson, who has looked great in the preseason. And we're all aware of Brian Westbrook is capable of...being one of the most dynamic backs in the entire NFL. Now I know this Rams team isn't the same team from last year that was riddled with injuries throughout the lineup. They will be better this year than last, but I don't see them getting off to a great start in a tough, hostile Philly environment. I also like going against the dome team playing outside on grass, where the Rams are 24-41 ATS since 1992 when they play on grass.

Last year, the Rams were 21st in the NFL giving up 225 ypg through the air. And we know how much the Eagles like to throw. I think McNabb will air it out today and have a very productive outing. The Rams D ranked 22nd last year by only piling up 31 sacks, I don't think they get to Donovan all that much today. Westbrook will make it a tough day for the Rams on the defensive side of the ball. On the other side of the ball, Marc Bulger appears to be healthy and he's got two elite level talents in Holt and Jackson, but they face an Eagles D that ranked 7th last year against the run, giving up only 95 ypg and only 10 TDs on the ground. The Rams OL did have injuries last year, but what team didn't. Last year's OL gave up 48 sacks, 6th worst in the NFL. I see the Eagles getting off to a good start at home and rolling to a nice win. Eagles 30-17

Play: Philadelphia Eagles -7 bought 1/2 (2 units)

Jets @ Dolphins
This is a Jets team that was much improved even after they brought in Brett Favre. A lot of folks have concerns about Favre coming into camp late and not learning the entire playbook (a valid concern), but let's look on the other side of the ball, where we have Chad Pennington coming to Dolphins camp even later. He's the one who will struggle with the offensive playbook IMO. The Dolphins will look to establish the run, something that the Jets will key in on and try to stop. The Jets gameplan has to be to make Chad beat them, and I don't think he can. The Jets pass D ranked 9th in the NFL in yardage allowed (197 ypg) and 6th in TDs given up. Jets key additions include NT Kris Jenkins and Calvin Pace. The secondary improves with Darrelle Revis now in his second year. The Jets coaching staff knows Chad and what his weakness are and I believe they'll have a great scheme for him today. When you look at Pennington's weapons, we're talking about Ten Ginn, Jr (explosive, but rookie WRs usually take awhile to figure things out), Derek Hagan, and Anthony Fasano.

On the offesnive side of the ball for the Jets, clearly Favre is an upgrade over with Pennington or Clemens. Plus the Jets OL is much better with Alan Faneca and Damien Woody. Add in FB Tony Richardson, and I think the combination of Thomas Jones and Leon Washington provide the Jets with a nice RB situation that should take some of the pressure off of Favre. The Dolphins has the league's worst run D last year, give up 153 ypg and 18 rushing TDs (30th in the NFL). When Favre does air it out (and we all know that he will) he'll be throwing to Jericho Cotchery who is poised for a huge year, TE Dustin Keller and Laverneus Coles (Coles and Favre yet to play in a game situation, so we'll see how they work together. Coles was a huge fan of Pennington, but I think he'll come around to Brett once he sees the difference in Favre's ability to get him the ball). I know it's not last year anymore, but the Dolphins D ranked 28th in the NFL in passing TDs, yielding 28 in 16 games. Tough to start out on the road in a division rivalry game, but Favre and Jets get it done. They have to with New England and San Diego in Weeks 2 & 3. Jets 23-10.

Play: NY Jets -3 even (2 units)

Cincinnati @ Baltimore
At it's most basic level, this wager is against a first year coach and a first year QB, a combination that hasn't won in a long time (I can't remember the stat that I heard about this, but it doesn't usually happen). I think that Baltimore would have much preferred to go with Troy Smith, but that's not happening, so Joe Flacco is the guy today. I know Cincy's D isn't great by any stretch, but I think the rookie struggles today. The Bengals passing D ranked 26th in the NFL yielding 230 ypg and 29th in the NFL in passing TDs allowed with 29 TDs in 16 games. They were also last in the NFL in sacks, only getting to the opposing QB 22 times. I do think that new Defensive Coordinator Mike Zimmer will make improvements, how can he not. Willis McGahee is banged up and the Ravens might be throwing a rookie RB in Ray Rice into the mix as well. I can't back a first year coach, starting a rookie QB and rookie RB, no matter how good their D is going to be.

Speaking of the Ravens D, we're all familiar with Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and company, but the secondary is a bit banged up. Reed hasn't played in the preseason due to a shoulder injury. Both Derrick Martin and Fabian Washington are serving 1 game suspensions. The Cincy offensive has the potential to be explosive. I think alot of folks (Vegas included) are down on the Bengals due to last year. But I'm expecting a bounc back year for Carson Palmer. Ocho Cinco's health will be important to that, but if he's good to go, he and Houshmandzedah and new TE Ben Utecht will provide some of the best weapons for Palmer to throw to in the NFL. The Bengals said good-bye to Rudi Johnson and I think they're better without him. Chris Perry gets the start and should pretty much be the every down back. Baltimore's rush D did rank 2nd in the NFL last year only giving up 79 ypg.

Cincinnati has won 5 of the last 6 in this series, winning and covering both games last year. As bad as the Bengals were last year, they were 3-0 ATS when favored by a FG or less. I think the Bengals roll today with Flacco struggling quite a bit. Bengals 24-10

Play: Cincinnati Bengals -1.5 (2 units)

Kansas City @ New England
Don't get me wrong here, I really don't give the Chiefs much of a chance in this game today, but I do love getting more than 2 TDs in almost any NFL game. We don't know if the Patriots are going to be as explosive as they were last year. I know that obviously with Moss, Brady, and Welker this team will score, but let's not forget that Brady hasn't played yet. I don't think the primary focus of the Patriots will be to blow people out, they'll be focused on the win and getting out of today's game healthy. Herm Edward's teams play tough. They are 4-0 ATS last 3 years when underdogs by more than 10 points. Last year they were 6-2 ATS as a road dog, 3 times covering as DD dogs on the road at Chicago (12 points), San Diego (12 points), and Indy (14.5 points).

If there was one bright spot for the Chiefs last year, it was their secondary. They were 5th in the NFL against the pass, giving up 189 ypg through the air. Maybe that has to do with their weak run D, but still, not too bad, they gave up 17 passing TDs, 4th best in the NFL. The Chiefs were 28th vs the run, giving up 130 ypg. The Patriots defense will certainly provide a challenge for the Chiefs and Croyle. Pats were 10th vs the run last year and will most likely focus on shutting down Larry Johnson and making Croyle beat them through the air. He does have some weapons through the air in TE Gonzalez and WR Dwayne Bowe. Add in another year of experience, and a slightly older NE secondary, and the Chiefs should be able to get a few on the board. New England has big time division rival NY Jets and Brett Favre next week, and I don't see a huge effort today from them. I'll take the 15 1/2 points and hope the Chiefs can run the clock, play some ball control, and not let Brady and co. go off. Patriots win a lower scoring game than many predict 24-13.

Play: Kansas City Chiefs +15.5 (1 unit)

GLA.

Thanks Steed.

1st Half Report:
Jet's looking OK. Hopefully Nugent being out won't screw this up. Going for it on 4th and 13 and then going for the 2pt conversion...two things i'm not a big fan of. Would love to have the kicker in.

Philly rolling.

Cincy looks lost offensively. I still think they come out in the 2H and get back into this game. Baltimore's O not all that impressive. Just gotta protect Palmer and give him at least a little time to throw.

Brady going out is huge for KC backers. Hope Brady's OK, just not for this game. Would love to see a very, very boring 2H in New England.

Second Half Play:
Going with Det -3 (-120) for 1 unit in the second half. I don't think the secondary of Atlanta can hang with the Det WR. They come back big time in the 2H and win this going away.

GLA.

Arizona @ San Francisco
Going with the Cardinals here. I think Kurt Warner has a big day today. Last year against the 49ers. Warner was 34-48 for 484 yards and 2 TDs. I don't think the 49ers have the secondary to contain him with Boldin and Fitzgerald. I also expect some things from the combination of the Edge and Hightower on the ground for Arizona.

New system for O'Sullivan in San Fran under Martz. May take some time to get things rolling. Arizona 30-17.

Play: Arizona Cardinals -2.5 (1 unit)

Carolina @ San Diego
Don't usually play the first half, but I like this one. San Diego will come out firing and show that they can be a dominating force in the AFC. Carolina usually plays well in the dog role, and I could see them covering in the backdoor late, so i'll lay the 6.5 in the first half

Play: San Diego Chargers -6.5 (1 unit)

Back and forth day today.

Going with the 2H over in San Diego. I liked how Carolina moved the ball and I can't see SD not getting 2 scores in the second half. They'll figure things out offensively.

Play: San Diego Chargers & Carolina Panthers 2H Over 20.5 (1 unit)

Sunday Night Football
Chicago @ Indianapolis
I know that Peyton hasn't played yet, but we're talking about an offense that he knows in and out and key position players like Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Joseph Addai, Dallas Clark who have all played together for quite some time now and although I expect a little rust, there really shouldn't be too much. This is as much a play on Indy as it is against the Bear. I don't think Chicago will be able to get much going offensively. The Bears have a tough matchup against the Indy D. The Bears are starting a rookie RB in Matt Forte against an Indy rush D that ranked 9th last year in the NFL only allowing 10 rushing TDs. The Bears also are giving the starting reins to Kyle Orton over Rex Grossman in 2008 and don't exactly feature weapons at WR that scare anyone. Hester has had a tough time picking up the offense, as he did in college. Sure he's explosive in the open field, but he hasn't done too much as the Bear #1 WR. Orton seemed to look for Rashied Davis and Greg Olsen quite a bit in the preseason. But this Indy pass D gets back a healthy Dwight Freeney and Bob Sanders. The Colts were 2nd in the NFL last year, giving up only 178 ypg through the air, and 2nd in the NFL giving up only 16 passing TDs in 16 games. The Indy D has looked good in the preseason.

On the other side of the ball, how much do we have to talk about the Colts explosiveness? The Bears secondary ranked 27th last year allowing 232 passing yards per game. Chicago will do their best to get a good rush on Manning and make him move around in the pocket, given his knee injury. A bit of a concern for Indy with C Jeff Saturday out. With Manning's habit of changing plays and audibling at the line, this could be a concern. The running game for Indy should be able to do what it wants on the Chicago D. The D is not what it once was, ranked 24th in the NFL last year, giving up about 123 ypg on the ground. I think Addai is good for at least 1 TD. I think Indy rolls in their home opener. Indy 34-13.

Play: Indianapolis Colts -10 (2 units)

Not looking like a good bet Marlo. Indy looking a bit rusty.

I'm on the Colts 2H to straighten things out. I honestly can't see them losing this game. The Bears are really not that great a team. It looks like the game cover is out of the question, but I got the line I wanted for 2H.

Play: Indianapolis Colts 2H -10 +110 (3 units)

Well - I've got mixed feelings about this week. I thought I had a few games fall just the way I thought they would (Jets, Giants, Eagles, Arizona), and I learned some things about other teams (Cincy O is horrible, Chicago's D is still legit and Indy is still suspectible to the run).

I made a few more plays than I wanted to, especially early in the week. Gotta be more disciplined in the coming weeks.

Record: 6-5 (-1.7 units)

Back tomorrow with some thoughts for MNF.

Back