2008 Conference Breakdowns: SEC

lindetrain

Pretty much a regular
Gonna start this off with the granddaddy of them all...

I have to say, this is arguably the strongest I’ve ever seen the SEC. There are two legitimate national championship contenders in Florida and Georgia, and five other potential top 20 teams in Auburn, LSU, Alabama, South Carolina, and Tennessee. Even perennial cellar dwellers Ole Miss and Mississippi State are on the rise, and you can always anticipate some competitiveness from Kentucky and Vanderbilt. Arkansas may be a little down, but it won’t be long before Petrino gets the ball rolling.

Before you continue on, I wanted to share a stat I read on another site and actually researched to see if it was true. And, after looking, I found that double digit dogs in SEC play are a combined 31-8 over the past two years. They went 19-3 in 2006 and 12-5 in 2007. This should always be remembered when laying big chalk in conference play – although I think we should see less this year with such a balanced conference.

Returning starters in parentheses…

East

Florida (8/8) brings back quite a bit from last year’s 9-4 squad and has a schedule that is tailor-made for a NC run, with no big road tests and their toughest game coming against rival Georgia in Jacksonville. With Tebow, Harvin, a slew of RBs and most of the OL returning, their offense could arguably top last year’s 42.5 PPG. The defense was a liability last year, but should be much improved with some experience under their belt.

I am not all about fading UF early on, as their two biggest tests at Tennessee and Arkansas are against teams with questionable defenses and/or secondaries. As the season progresses, though, things may get tougher. The Gators could underestimate Kentucky a little bit the week before Georgia, as the Cats have a scrappy defense and should have the ability to hang within a huge number in the Swamp. I think the first loss comes at the hands of UGA, again, in Jacksonville on November 1. South Carolina should put up a good fight against them a few weeks later, as they did in Spurrier’s first two years at USC. Still, I see an 11-1 season and an SEC East crown, despite losing to Georgia.

Georgia (8/9) finished up 2007 strong, which has made them a national title contender coming into this season. Stafford and Moreno return along with a couple threats at WR and TE, and a solid OL. The defense really put the hammer down late last season, and has nearly everyone back. Unfortunately, they have a brutal schedule – arguably the toughest I’ve ever seen.

The Bulldogs have some high expectations, and I actually don’t think they can live up to them. Stafford does appear to be the second coming of Erik Ainge (a QB who was overwhelmed early on but slowly developed into one of the SEC’s finest), they do have a Heisman contender in Moreno, and their defense and coaching is top-notch – but I’m still not convinced they can make it through the conference unscathed. After traveling to South Carolina and Arizona State, they face Alabama in a brutal spot at home, as they’ll be worn out from three consecutive big games. The week prior to the BIG showdown against Florida, they have to travel to Baton Rouge, which more than likely spells trouble. They also must go to Auburn, arguably the best team in the West, after three consecutive battles against LSU, UF, and UK. I see a 10-2 season, and despite the fact I think they knock off Florida, I think they’ll be watching the Gators in the SEC title game from home.

*Editor’s note: Richt is 25-4 away from home since coming to UGA. Keep this in mind, as it will open up some fading value after UGA wins at South Carolina and Arizona State early on. Bettors will be all about backing the Dawgs on the road when the national media starts buzzing about their phenomenal 27-4 road mark under Richt. Then you’ll get great value fading them in a horrible spot at LSU, just as some of us did against Tennessee last year.

Kentucky (4/8) is facing a rebuilding year after their best season in decades, as they must replace some of the most prolific players in school history. 9 of their top 10 tacklers are back on defense, but the offense loses superstars everywhere. Dual-threat QB Curtis Pulley, who battled Andre Woodson for the starting job two years ago, is expected to take over at QB. A few key contributors are back at RB along with most of the OL, but points may be hard to come by as the Cats are unproven at QB and lose all but one WR. For once, defense may be the name of the game in Lexington.

The schedule is favorable with eight winnable games, but I do not anticipate a tremendous season with so much leadership lost. The opener against their in-state rivals is a horrendous spot, as I expect dramatic improvement from UL this year – the Cats will also be breaking in a new offense in a tough environment. They do catch Arkansas in an ideal spot as the Hogs should struggle a bit early on, and it will be a must-win for the Cats to gain bowl eligibility. I like the thought of them hanging tight as big dogs at Alabama, Florida, and Tennessee, but don’t see them faring well in other spots. I think this team will show some signs of life even in a rebuilding year, as confidence is growing within the program – but I wouldn’t instill too much faith until later in the season.

South Carolina (7/10) struggled with injuries last year and fell off the map after starting the season 6-1 and rising to #6 nationally. Other than losses at QB and RB, they return nearly everyone on both sides of the ball, including a few studs on defense that missed time last year. The offense will hinge on the development of sophomore QB Chris Smelley, who saw plenty of time last year; the defense should excel under new DC Ellis Johnson.

The first true test is at Georgia in Week 3, a game the Cocks will likely drop as Georgia has proven they can win on the road and has some revenge from last year’s upset. USC should be able to handle Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, and Kentucky on the road, but catches LSU in a bad spot as the Bayou Bengals will likely be coming off a loss at Florida. Tennessee is a tremendous spot after the bye week, as the Vols will be coming off a hard-fought battle against rival Alabama the week before and should drop one. Florida and Clemson are two spots where the Gamecocks could hang in there – but they’d be lucky to split. Overall, I expect a much better season for the Gamecocks, and I think they’re just a few breaks away from 10 wins. This is Spurrier’s best team yet; it is unfortunate that Georgia and Florida are in the same division.

Tennessee (8/6) someway, somehow won the SEC East last year, despite having a defense that yielded 27.3 PPG. They lose an excellent QB in Erik Ainge, but return all their other weapons on offense. The defense loses some of their top guys and could struggle again, although the secondary has a little more experience on their side. Unfortunately, things are looking bleak when it comes to repeating as division champs.

I expect Florida to walk into Neyland and win their fourth consecutive game against the Vols, as I think the Gator offense has too much for this fairly mediocre defense; I am unsure Crompton will have the ability to lead the Vols in a game of such magnitude early in the season. However, I love the spot against Auburn the following week, as I anticipate the Vols bouncing back with a great effort and the Tigers having a letdown coming off a big divisional win over LSU (this is arguably the second best spot I’ve seen in SEC play so far, behind LSU over Georgia). I think UT drops one to Georgia, and then struggles at home against an MSU team they take lightly with Alabama coming up. After losing to SC, I think they win out. Overall, I anticipate 8 wins or so for the Vols – and this time next year, we’ll be talking about UT and their new head coach hoping to rejuvenate the program.

Vanderbilt (3/6) disappointed a bit last year, as they returned 18 starters but still failed to reach bowl eligibility. Things aren’t looking much better this year, as they lose their entire OL and a few of their stars on both sides of the ball. A tough schedule with all their winnable games on the road doesn’t help matters, as it’ll take an upset to avoid a winless season in SEC play.

They start out with two tough tests at Miami Ohio and against South Carolina, games where their inexperienced OL may get exposed. Traveling to Ole Miss with the Rebels looking to pick up their first SEC win under Nutt is not an ideal spot, as well as traveling to Mississippi State. They might be able to catch Georgia sleeping with the Dawgs looking ahead to LSU and Florida, and catch Florida in a good spot later on. It must be acknowledged that Vanderbilt is 13-4 in the last 4 years as road underdogs, so while it may look like this team will struggle from a W/L standpoint, they could be very tough ATS with such low expectations. They do return QB Makenzi Adams and a few threats at WR, along with their entire secondary on defense – so don’t expect them to just lie down all year. Although I don’t think the Dores win many games, I think they could end up being the best team in the East ATS. I see them only winning 3 games or so, but should compete all year.

West

Alabama (7/6) was nothing special in Nick Saban’s first year, needing a bowl win to finish with a winning record. They return senior QB John Parker Wilson, all of their RBs, and most of the OL on offense, and a good core of their defense. The schedule is pretty difficult with the opener against Clemson in Atlanta, and trips to Georgia, Tennessee, and LSU – but the Tide just might be in the thick of the SEC West race going into November.

At this point, it’s tough to pick a particular side when it comes to the showdown against Clemson, but you have to figure the Tide are dogs against a Tigers team who returns quite a bit. If they pull out the win there, they could be looking at a 6-1 start going into Tennessee, and might even be 7-0 if they happen to clip UGA in a great spot in Athens. Arkansas will still be adjusting to new schemes when the Tide come to town, so they should be able to take care of business there – but don’t be surprised if Bama struggles a little bit as big home faves against Kentucky and Ole Miss. Tennessee is a tough spot as the home team has fared well the past few years, and the Vols have revenge from a pounding last year. The LSU and Auburn games will determine their fate, and I think they’ll be good enough to split them. I realize this team loses a bit at WR and a few key guys on defense, but overall there are no gaping holes and I think they have the experience and coaching to be a threat and win 9 games. I’ll call them my sleeper to take the West.

Arkansas (6/5) did not do much last year coming off a great 10-win season in 2006, but still managed a New Year’s Day bowl in large part to their thrilling upset over LSU in the season finale. With Petrino coming in, it looks like they could be in for a tough year – especially with Ole Miss and Mississippi State having their best teams of the past few years. If Casey Dick can improve, the offense can learn Petrino’s schemes, and some threats emerge at WR, things may not be all that bad in Fayetteville. Despite returning most of their front seven, the defense could struggle a little bit with a whole new secondary.

The schedule does not help matters early on, with tough games at Texas and Auburn, and home games against Alabama and Florida; the Hogs will be an ideal fade in those games as they adjust to Petrino’s style. The trip to Kentucky is a tough one as the Cats will be searching for a much-needed SEC win. The best spot you may see with them is hosting Ole Miss, as they should be much improved at that point and should be able to start playing as they’re capable under Petrino. I think that should be their turning point, and some value will lie with them afterwards. I expect them to really compete down the stretch and potentially string together a 5-6 win season. Don’t forget Petrino was one of the best coaches in the nation at Louisville, and once his players start to warm up to him, they will succeed. The Hogs could actually surprise some folks after a rocky start.

Auburn (9/7) actually ended up having a great season last year when things looked bleak going in, as only five starters returned on offense and the OL was very inexperienced. Now, they benefit from addition by subtraction with the loss of QB Brandon Cox, as Kodi Burns takes over. Their stable of RBs returns, as well as their top two wideouts and the entire OL; a good core of their defense returns as well. The schedule sets up nicely for an SEC West crown.

The Tigers have two great spots early on against Mississippi State in Starkville, where they’ll be seeking revenge from an embarrassing loss last year, and hosting LSU, who lacks the leadership to go into Auburn early in the season and pull out a win. They do face a tough spot the following week against Tennessee, in what looks like a sure letdown. I like them to knock off West Virginia later on in the year in a big Thursday Night showdown; they will more than likely split Georgia and Alabama. This looks like a pretty solid group, and they may be the class of the West – but I think there are three teams in the East who are better. I expect a 10-win season, and we should see them in the SEC title game.

LSU (7/5) caught a ton of breaks after losing to Arkansas in the regular season finale last year to land in the BCS title game, including a miraculous upset of West Virginia by 28-point underdog Pitt. After getting in, they pounded Ohio State to take home their second title in five years. Now they must replace a few key players, losing their starting backfield on offense and their top three tacklers on defense. They do return their top two wideouts, most of the OL, and most of the front seven, but a brutal schedule may keep them from making a return trip to the SEC title game.

A trip to Auburn early on spells trouble, as the Bayou Bengals probably won’t be able to go into a tough environment with an untested QB under center and a brand new secondary and come out alive. They also should struggle in The Swamp, but I like them to knock off South Carolina in Columbia as they’ll be a bit more battle-tested at that point. They have arguably the best spot in all of SEC play hosting Georgia at home, in a clear lookahead for UGA. If they get by Alabama at home, they’ll be looking at another 10-win season. I don’t think they’ll win the West if they lose to Auburn early on, but they still should find themselves in a New Year’s Day bowl. If QB play ends up being a major issue, they may drop a couple more games than expected – but I don’t anticipate it being a major problem. Overall, I expect another solid year for Miles and Co., even though they have some guys to replace.

Mississippi State (6/8) surprised everyone last year with an 8-win season, winning four of their last five games and pulling off major upsets over Auburn and Kentucky. Now, they bring back most of the guys who got them there, with their starting backfield returning, along with their top wideout and 7 of their top 8 tacklers on defense. They could be looking at another trip to the postseason, with three very winnable SEC games at home.

The Bulldogs face a tough spot hosting Auburn early on, and is probably going to catch LSU in Death Valley off a loss to Auburn. Things look better a few weeks later, when they catch Vanderbilt at home and have a good spot at Tennessee in mid-October. They also get Kentucky at home, who they beat up on last year. Despite this, I can’t help but think MSU ends up being the worst team in the West ATS; I’m just not quite sure I have faith in this team to carry over the momentum from last year. Most of the Bulldogs’ wins came from teams underestimating them, as they typically are chalked up as a sure win for opponents. They aren’t flying under anyone’s radar this time around, and a rough stretch early on may spell doom. I think they’ll win 6 games, in large part to a very easy schedule – but I don’t think they’ll look nearly as impressive as they did at times last year.

Ole Miss (7/9) had another rough season last year, failing to top four wins once again under Ed Orgeron. Now they’ve brought in Houston Nutt from Arkansas, and it appears there is some newfound hope for the program. They bring in Texas transfer Jevan Snead at QB, return their top five wideouts and most of the OL, and bring back nearly their entire defense. They should be in the running for a postseason berth by season’s end.

A trip to Wake Forest early on will be tough, but they are getting an ideal spot by hosting Vanderbilt in the SEC opener. They’ll struggle at Florida, and they likely won’t beat South Carolina, but I think they could really do well coming off the bye week. Trips to Alabama, Arkansas, and LSU are great spots to take them as bigger dogs than they should be and hope they can hang tight – Nutt knows his SEC West foes well and could be able to give them problems with an experienced bunch. We should see this team progress rather nicely as the season goes on and really start to prove they can compete with anyone in the SEC. I like the Rebels to have a season similar to that of their in-state rivals last year, as they sneak up on some teams.

losing their starting backfield on offense

LSU loses its QB in the backfield; we return most of our RB's. Of course, Hester will be missed, but expectations are high for Keiland Williams, who showed well in his time during 2007. In fact, this may be the saving grace to keep LSU atop the SEC West. With all of the talent at RB and a semi-veteran OL, it should help relieve some of the pressure placed on the new QB.

I agree with your assessment, as Auburn is the fourth game overall and the first road game will be rough. LSU will not be tested, as they get Appalachian St, North Texas, and Troy all in Death Valley. Not to mention, the home team in the Auburn v LSU battle has won the past 7-8 yrs.

The month of October will decide LSU's fate this season.
Oct 4: Off
Oct 11: @ Florida
Oct 18: @ South Carolina
Oct 25: Georgia

If LSU finishes the month of October with a winning record (monthly record not overall as LSU will likely start 3-0), then LSU should be a competitor. Auburn does not impress me this year, and even if LSU loses on Sept 20 @ Auburn, I think LSU could still win the SEC West as I see Auburn losing multiple conference games.

Thx for the write-ups

LSU loses its QB in the backfield; we return most of our RB's. Of course, Hester will be missed, but expectations are high for Keiland Williams, who showed well in his time during 2007. In fact, this may be the saving grace to keep LSU atop the SEC West. With all of the talent at RB and a semi-veteran OL, it should help relieve some of the pressure placed on the new QB.

I agree with your assessment, as Auburn is the fourth game overall and the first road game will be rough. LSU will not be tested, as they get Appalachian St, North Texas, and Troy all in Death Valley. Not to mention, the home team in the Auburn v LSU battle has won the past 7-8 yrs.

If LSU finishes the month of October with a winning record (monthly record not overall as LSU will likely start 3-0), then LSU should be a competitor. Auburn does not impress me this year, and even if LSU loses on Sept 20 @ Auburn, I think LSU could still win the SEC West as I see Auburn losing multiple conference games.

Thx for the write-ups

I don't necessarily think Auburn is better than LSU and/or Alabama, but the meeting early on will play such a huge role. If LSU loses, they're really behind the 8-ball. They'd need Auburn to lose their 3 other toughest games in conference play (Tennessee, Georgia, @ Alabama), and would have to lose only 1 other game when playing @ Florida, @ South Carolina, and Georgia.

It really hurts LSU to play Auburn that early in the season, because later on they're probably the better team. Alabama doesn't have too easy of a schedule either, and with them likely losing to LSU at home, it's hard to predict them finishing atop the West.

Thx for the write-ups

Speaking of that october schedule listed above. That is a very tough sandwich game for lsu on the road against south carolina. After a likely loss to florida and looking ahead to a game vs the team that could very well be ranked number 1. Though Georgia could easily have lost by then with four of the five previous games being at s carolina , at az st , home to bama and home to tenn. if lsu beats florida then you just have to love the gamecocks with georgia on deck after a huge road upset. Well from a spot perspective. Ironically , lsu does not get either of its sec revenge games this year as arkansas and kentucky dont appear on the schedule.

Georgia has florida after lsu which will be a much anticipated game , but they also have vanderbilt the week before lsu , so they should be more than ready at the same time. In fact , if georgia is undefeated heading into the vanderbilt game , the commodores will likely be worth a bet at an inflated number.

Ironically , lsu does not get either of its sec revenge games this year as arkansas and kentucky dont appear on the schedule.

On the contrary, my Milwaukee's Best aficiando friend!

Friday November 28 LSU @ Arkansas

LSU always plays Arkansas the day after Thanksgiving. The problem is by the time these two square off the last game of the regular season, the seasons are already decided.

On the contrary, my Milwaukee's Best aficiando friend!

Friday November 28 LSU @ Arkansas

LSU always plays Arkansas the day after Thanksgiving. The problem is by the time these two square off the last game of the regular season, the seasons are already decided.

whoops.

Speaking of that october schedule listed above. That is a very tough sandwich game for lsu on the road against south carolina. After a likely loss to florida and looking ahead to a game vs the team that could very well be ranked number 1. Though Georgia could easily have lost by then with four of the five previous games being at s carolina , at az st , home to bama and home to tenn. if lsu beats florida then you just have to love the gamecocks with georgia on deck after a huge road upset. Well from a spot perspective. Ironically , lsu does not get either of its sec revenge games this year as arkansas and kentucky dont appear on the schedule.

Georgia has florida after lsu which will be a much anticipated game , but they also have vanderbilt the week before lsu , so they should be more than ready at the same time. In fact , if georgia is undefeated heading into the vanderbilt game , the commodores will likely be worth a bet at an inflated number.

I've been eyeing that sandwich since I first seen the schedules

Linde - great shit, more thoughts later

Trips to Alabama, Arkansas, and LSU are great spots to take them as bigger dogs than they should be and hope they can hang tight

in regards to ole miss , i think you are ahead of the game. agree with above qoute completely. orgeron had the program going in the right direction. mississippi fan was just expecting too much , too soon. Still , nutt is an upgrade. great stuff

Steele must think pretty damn highly of 5* Enrique Davis, he has him making 2nd team all SEC as a frosh. I know Nutt likes to run the ball so maybe I can see that happening but that is some lofty goals for the new comer

East

Tennessee (8/6)
The defense loses some of their top guys and could struggle again, although the secondary has a little more experience on their side.

A little more experience on their side???? How about the best secondary in the NCAA?? Eric Berry is easily the best cornerback in the league, the number one cornerback out of high school in 2006, and Demetrice Morley was the number 2 cornerback recruit out of high school in 2005. Both have had considerable playing experience, Berry started every game and Morley had a phenomenal spring. I think the secondary deserves a little bit more recognition than just "a little more experience."

A little more experience on their side???? How about the best secondary in the NCAA?? Eric Berry is easily the best cornerback in the league, the number one cornerback out of high school in 2006, and Demetrice Morley was the number 2 cornerback recruit out of high school in 2005. Both have had considerable playing experience, Berry started every game and Morley had a phenomenal spring. I think the secondary deserves a little bit more recognition than just "a little more experience."

:36_11_6:

Best secondary in the nation?

<TABLE class=statstable><TBODY><TR><TD>Pass Defense </TD><TD> # 73</TD><TD>238.64</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

That's the stat I'm seeing from NCAA website. So I'm supposed to believe that UT, who was horrendous against the pass, will have one of the nation's best secondaries AFTER losing a 1st team All-SEC DB?

I respectfully disagree on the LSU/SC thoughts...I think it will be hard for LSU to underestimate SC coming off a loss. And it's safe to say LSU has the much more talented team, so if they come to play and are hungry after the loss, they should take care of business...

I also think you underestimate how much UGA will be looking forward to Florida - I just don't think they get up for LSU like they should, even with Vandy the week before. I do agree on the Vandy/UGA thoughts, though.

I respectfully disagree on the LSU/SC thoughts...I think it will be hard for LSU to underestimate SC coming off a loss. And it's safe to say LSU has the much more talented team, so if they come to play and are hungry after the loss, they should take care of business...

I also think you underestimate how much UGA will be looking forward to Florida - I just don't think they get up for LSU like they should, even with Vandy the week before. I do agree on the Vandy/UGA thoughts, though.

Well i agree with you that lsu should not take the gamecocks lightly or necessarily will but it is a strange spot for them. And if they were to beat florida then it becomes a terrible sandwich. Likely agree to disagree a little bit on that one but i definitely see where you are coming from.

It is also possible that i could underestimate how much georgia and florida are looking ahead to their "dance - off". Hell, I am looking forward to that game too.

I'm not so sure about this either. If you said one of the best OL, I would tend to agree, return 4 from a unit who gave up 4 sacks last yr. Best Secondary? No, no, no

Last edited:
Tennessee will have one of the top 15 sets of defensive backs in all of ncaa. The best ? no. But they will be greatly improved.

I will throw out a team that i think has the best secondary in cfb but most will likely disagree with me.

1. Wake forest
2. ohio state
3. miss state
4. usc
5. oregon ducks

of course this is june... like everything i say right now , i have the right to go back and say .... well i changed my mind.

BUT Wake Forest has a stellar defensive backfield. STELLAR.

I think its safe to say here, neither team will have an advantage of being more up for the game between UF-UGA. Especially not after UGA won and stomped in the endzone.

Best secondary in the nation?

<table class="statstable"><tbody><tr><td>Pass Defense </td><td> # 73</td><td>238.64</td></tr></tbody></table>

That's the stat I'm seeing from NCAA website. So I'm supposed to believe that UT, who was horrendous against the pass, will have one of the nation's best secondaries AFTER losing a 1st team All-SEC DB?

Let's just watch when the season starts.

taking ole miss ats when they play lsu is usually a good bet. the line has been large in recent years because of the results these two programs have had, but for intangible reasons, the rebs always hang tough with lsu.

lindetrain --- as i recall you are a big follower of the kentucky team. You mention the new offensive system above... wondering if you can tell us what to expect ...... short/deep passing game , run/pass ratio , stuff like that.

Tennessee will have the best secondary in the SEC. Berry is the best player in the conference and everything I've heard/read about Morley is very encouraging.That group got much better as the season progressed, and by the end of the season they were a solid group. There is no reason not to expect more improvement.

The real question with Tennessee is pass rush, can they generate a real pass rush? It's been a while and if the D-line doesn't have someone step up and consistently rush the passer then that takes away strength from the secondary.

Personally I hate the coordinator Chavis, he used to be insanely agressive and blitz his linebackers along with having very good D-lines. Generally the results were devastatingly effective.He got away from this in 2005 when the front four was so good that he didn't need to blitz hardly at all and dropped his linebackers in coverage. His lines have been nowhere near as good as the 2005 group but he has played that strategy the last two years with poorer results overall.

lindetrain- I respectfully disagree on Auburn being a great spot for the Vols. I think Tennessee is more likely to defeat Florida at home for a variety of reasons than beat Auburn at Jordan-Hare. I think Tennessee will be pissed about last year's game, and it's likely that Florida won't take UT as seriously as they should. Having the home crowd will be big for a team that has some good weapons and unseasoned QB.

For the same reasons I think Auburn is a bad spot because Jordan Hare might bethe most underrated home-field edge in the country. Either way Tennessee will be coming off an emotional game against UF and venturing on the road for Crompton's first SEC road game against a great defense. It's hardly ideal.Through my orange glasses, I think that's a bad spot but maybe they'll prove me wrong.

Last edited:
Arkansas (6/5) did not do much last year coming off a great 10-win season in 2006, but still managed a New Year’s Day bowl in large part to their thrilling upset over LSU in the season finale. With Petrino coming in, it looks like they could be in for a tough year – especially with Ole Miss and Mississippi State having their best teams of the past few years. If Casey Dick can improve, the offense can learn Petrino’s schemes, and some threats emerge at WR, things may not be all that bad in Fayetteville. Despite returning most of their front seven, the defense could struggle a little bit with a whole new secondary.

The schedule does not help matters early on, with tough games at Texas and Auburn, and home games against Alabama and Florida; the Hogs will be an ideal fade in those games as they adjust to Petrino’s style. The trip to Kentucky is a tough one as the Cats will be searching for a much-needed SEC win. The best spot you may see with them is hosting Ole Miss, as they should be much improved at that point and should be able to start playing as they’re capable under Petrino. I think that should be their turning point, and some value will lie with them afterwards. I expect them to really compete down the stretch and potentially string together a 5-6 win season. Don’t forget Petrino was one of the best coaches in the nation at Louisville, and once his players start to warm up to him, they will succeed. The Hogs could actually surprise some folks after a rocky start.

Tough spot at Kentucky as you say but it is one of the few teams that arkansas plays all year with an unproven QB. If a team is incapable of throwing the football against the razorbacks , they might struggle to score some, with razorbacks returning a lot of talent to that DL. It is also a revenge game for Arkansas. If Pulley has progressed enough by the middle of october , you might be right. I just wonder how much value we can find in the line if Arkansas loses the four previous games as i suspect they will. AT Texas is a loss. Home to Bama is a bad matchup and a likely loss, home to florida could be ugly , and at auburn should be a loss as well. After four losses like that and kentucky likely to be sitting at 3-3 or maybe 4-2 i just dont know if the public will buy into the arkansas side enough. Also , if Florida is sitting at number 1 in the polls for the following weeks game , we know how teams look ahead to those games.

I think that if they do lose to kentucky we might get some nice value playing them the second half of the year.

Tennessee will have the best secondary in the SEC. Berry is the best player in the conference and everything I've heard/read about Morley is very encouraging.That group got much better as the season progressed, and by the end of the season they were a solid group. There is no reason not to expect more improvement.

The real question with Tennessee is pass rush, can they generate a real pass rush? It's been a while and if the D-line doesn't have someone step up and consistently rush the passer then that takes away strength from the secondary.

Personally I hate the coordinator Chavis, he used to be insanely agressive and blitz his linebackers along with having very good D-lines. Generally the results were devastatingly effective.He got away from this in 2005 when the front four was so good that he didn't need to blitz hardly at all and dropped his linebackers in coverage. His lines have been nowhere near as good as the 2005 group but he has played that strategy the last two years with poorer results overall.

lindetrain- I respectfully disagree on Auburn being a great spot for the Vols. I think Tennessee is more likely to defeat Florida at home for a variety of reasons than beat Auburn at Jordan-Hare. I think Tennessee will be pissed about last year's game, and it's likely that Florida won't take UT as seriously as they should. Having the home crowd will be big for a team that has some good weapons and unseasoned QB.

For the same reasons I think Auburn is a bad spot because Jordan Hare might bethe most underrated home-field edge in the country. Either way Tennessee will be coming off an emotional game against UF and venturing on the road for Crompton's first SEC road game against a great defense. It's hardly ideal.Through my orange glasses, I think that's a bad spot but maybe they'll prove me wrong.

Couldn't of said it better myself. Tennessee's seconday might be the best collection of talent that UT has had back there. You guys have to remember the situation last year: Morley was out due to academics, M. Johnson was out for the season early leading to Vinson starting at corner as a freshmen. Berry started as a freshmen. Rogan was starting by the end of the year as a freshmen. The freshmen struggled at the beginning, but started playing really well toward the end of the season and now UT has 6 or 7 good db's. They have 3 5-stars that aren't busts in Berry, Vinson, and Morley. Morley and Berry will probably be the most talented pair of safeties in the nation. Rogan, Vinson, Johnson, and Willingham form a solid group of corners. A lot of the bad passing yardage against stats coem from lack of pressure which could be a problem again this year. The best part about this secondary besides being so athletic is they are not scared to hit. These guys come up and tackle people. If you watch UT closely this year, I promise the secondary or LB's will not be the problem.

Crompton did start in that debacle at Arkansas two years ago. I think McFadden just scored again.

lindetrain --- as i recall you are a big follower of the kentucky team. You mention the new offensive system above... wondering if you can tell us what to expect ...... short/deep passing game , run/pass ratio , stuff like that.

Sorry vk, I just caught this...

I didn't mean UK was breaking in a new type of offense - they're just breaking in new players. Now obviously with the personnel changes, there is going to be less big plays through the air, and more running plays will be designed for Pulley.

I am not a fan of Pulley though - I would much rather them start Mike Hartline, more of a pocket-passer who I think has a lot more potential at the position. With Hartline under center, you can move the tall and athletic Pulley to WR, which is a major question mark right now. The WRs (sans Lyons Jr.) dropped a ton of balls in the spring game. Also, Hartline can move a little bit on the ground himself, so it's not like UK would be putting a statue back there.

The OL should be strong, and the RBs, while not All-SEC caliber, have been quality contributors the last few years. We all saw what Locke was capable of last year. It's a matter of getting D's to respect the passing game, which I'm not sure they can do with Pulley back there. A lot more potential for this offense with a guy who has the ability to throw the football a little bit.

You present a good point on the Arkansas game - it will probably end up being a very hard-fought battle, as both teams will desperately need it. But, you can forget about UK looking ahead to #1 Florida in the Swamp, as they never ever beat the Gators and don't have the luxury of looking ahead past winnable SEC games. Trust me, the Arkansas game will be VERY important to them.

UT fans, I will give credit where it is due later in the year if you all are right. But honestly, I have not seen anyone who is not a UT fan comment on how good the secondary will be.

UT fans, I will give credit where it is due later in the year if you all are right. But honestly, I have not seen anyone who is not a UT fan comment on how good the secondary will be.

I'm not guaranteeing that the stats will bear it out because no matter how good your secondary is they can't cover all day. I'm just basing off the talent level back there and freshmen turning into sophomores that I think the secondary will be a strength and so do many people inside Tennessee.

To me Tennessee's 3 biggest questions will be

1) New offense and new OC
2) Can Crompton be a SEC Title QB
3) Depth at D-Line. The starting front four is pretty good, not great but good. After that there is a lot of question marks and you can't win in the SEC with four D-Linemen. UT is especially then at DT.

Steele must think pretty damn highly of 5* Enrique Davis, he has him making 2nd team all SEC as a frosh. I know Nutt likes to run the ball so maybe I can see that happening but that is some lofty goals for the new comer

And for good reason. Davis is a 5 star recruit who originally committed to Auburn, but then went to Prep School. The # 1 prep school recruit for 2008 according to Rivals. Ole Miss will have a upgrade at the QB position with Jevan Snead now eligible. Got Michael Oher back at OT whom I thought would turn pro and be a first round pick. Good size and speed at 5-11 220 with 4.39 speed. Some calling him the next Deuce McAllister. Pretty much a beast...will run over one guy, then outrun the next.

Video from youtube of him in his junior year of high school.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWLgy-nOEh4

so linde, why will the vols have a new head coach next year????

Also, E. Berry plays safety not cornerback as ppl have been eluding too. Also, D. Morley will be back to play opposite berry at safety. That tandem is a top safety tandem in the nation (top 3-5). As for the cb's two of their top 3 will be true sophomores, so I will have to admit that they will be an adventure.

The Tennessee secondary should still be in the top 10 nationally. But not necessarily dominate in the SEC.

UT's OLine will be the shit. Definetly a top 10 line. If only their d-line was anywhere near as good.

I havent read much so far this year but besides Wisconsin, Georgia is my non homer favorite team of the year and mainly because of this guy. I think they have a legit shot at the NC even with the brutal schedule. That has to be the hardest schedule in the nation doesnt it?
Knowshon-Moreno-05102007.jpg

Been two weeks since this thread and we havent had another conference breakdown. lets go lindetrain. chop chop.

Back