2006 Wisconsin Badgers

Fondybadger

CTG Partner
2005 Wisconsin Badgers Recap
In 2005, the Wisconsin Badger went 10-3 on their way to winning the Capitol One Bowl in Barry Alvarez’s final season. They started off the season on a strong non conference note, winning at home against Bowling Green and Temple, before going on the road and winning at North Carolina. Wisconsin started off the Big 10 season upsetting Michigan and beating Indiana at home before falling victim at Northwestern in a shootout. The next week, Wisconsin used a block punt touchdown to come from behind at Minnesota to move their record to 6-1. The next two weeks Wisconsin handled Purdue at home before thrashing Illinois on the road. On November 5th, with the Big 10 conference lead at stake Wisconsin lost 35-14 at Penn State and they followed that up the next week losing at home to Iowa 20-10 to finish 5-3 overall in the Big 10. Over Thanksgiving weekend, the Badgers traveled to Hawaii for their final regular season game, easily handling the Warriors. Wisconsin was chosen for the Capitol One Bowl (#2 Big 10 team vs. SEC team) after both Ohio State and Penn State where chosen to participate in BCS bowls. Auburn ranked #7 in the country was a 10.5 point favorite in the match-up with Wisconsin, but behind 213 rushing yards from Brian Calhoun and 301 yards passing yards by John Stocco, Wisconsin won 24-10.

2005 Offensive Statistical Leaders (Players in red returning)
Passing
Name G QBRat Att Comp Pct Yds TD Int Long Sack
John Stocco 13 150.5 328 197 60.1 2920 21 9 65 37
Tyler Donovan 1 173.6 6 3 50.0 49 1 0 29 0

Rushing
Name G Rush Yds Y/G Avg Lng TD
Brian Calhoun 13 348 1636 125.8 4.7 60 22
Booker Stanley 12 69 340 28.3 4.9 20 3
Jamil Walker 4 18 96 24.0 5.3 24 1
Brandon Williams 13 7 47 3.6 6.7 10 0
Dywon Rowan 3 13 34 11.3 2.6 19 1
Tyler Donovan 1 5 30 30.0 6.0 10 1
Bill Rentmeester 1 6 27 27.0 4.5 9 0
Matt Bernstein 3 6 22 7.3 3.7 8 1
Chris Pressley 1 3 5 5.0 1.7 3 0

Receiving
Name G Rec Yds Y/G Avg Lng TD
Brandon Williams 13 59 1095 84.2 18.6 62 6
Jonathan Orr 12 40 688 57.3 17.2 65 8
Brian Calhoun 13 53 571 43.9 10.8 40 2
Owen Daniels 11 22 268 24.4 12.2 29 4
Brandon White 5 8 155 31.0 19.4 26 1
Jason Pociask 5 7 79 15.8 11.3 27 0
Booker Stanley 12 7 64 5.3 9.1 25 0
Marcus Randle El 1 1 29 29.0 29.0 29 1
Jarvis Minton 2 1 16 8.0 16.0 16 0
Paul Hubbard 1 1 4 4.0 4.0 4 0
Jamil Walker 4 1 0 0.0 0.0 0 0

Returns Kickoffs Punts
Name KR Yds Avg Long TD PR Yds Avg Long TD
Brandon Williams 22 616 28.0 85 0 26 380 14.6 66 2
Zach Hampton 10 170 17.0 31 0 0 0 0.0 0 0
Dywon Rowan 7 69 9.9 25 0 0 0 0.0 0 0
Owen Daniels 2 21 10.5 11 0 0 0 0.0 0 0
Jarvis Minton 2 0 0.0 0 0 2 19 9.5 19 0
Matt Bernstein 1 5 5.0 5 0 0 0 0.0 0 0
Jonathan Casillas 0 0 0.0 0 0 2 38 19.0 21 0
Marcus Randle El 0 0 0.0 0 0 3 47 15.7 17 0

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Below is Blue Ribbon stuff I copied and pasted... Saw no reason to rewrite stuff like I was doing.

COACH AND PROGRAM
Last year, after 16 years, 118 wins, three Big Ten titles and three Rose Bowl victories, Barry Alvarez decided it was time to step down as head coach at Wisconsin. As the Wisconsin athletic director, he had the final say on his replacement, and he chose a relatively fresh face in former Badger defensive coordinator Bret Bielema.

At 36, the former standout linebacker at Iowa is the youngest head coach in Division I-A football, and he's already being lauded for his energy and passion for the game. That's especially important in a football-mad town that was revitalized when Alvarez arrived on campus in 1990, even if he's not quite used to the spotlight yet.

"Well, some days I think it would be cool to be Bucky the Badger. You know, to go out there and cheer, and have nobody know who you are," Bielema told ESPN.com. "Don't get me wrong. It's great. But when you're the head football coach, you're also the head football coach at the basketball game and at the grocery store."

Bielema appreciates the fact that Alvarez will be just down the hall to answer questions, but also understands he'll be coaching in the long shadow cast by a local legend, a person whose approach to life is much different from his own.

"Barry has a very vibrant personality and is active in the community," Bielema told ESPN.com. "But it's important to note that he doesn't want me to try to emulate what he has been. He has told me, 'Be your own person. And be your own coach.'"

Bielema immediately took major steps toward making the program his own by overhauling the coaching staff, retaining only offensive coordinator Paul Chryst and wide receivers coach Henry Mason.

"On my first day on the job, I had to fire some people," Bielema told ESPN.com. "[Alvarez] made it very clear that he wanted me to be able to be in control of, and to hire, my own staff. It was a day I knew was coming very early on. … There were a lot of good coaches on this staff. To know that day was looming was not easy. But I had to go through it."

Bielema has been known as a top recruiter from his days as an assistant under Hayden Fry and Kirk Ferentz at Iowa and a two-year stint as co-defensive coordinator at Kansas State, and he plans to stay active in recruiting despite the demands of his new job.

"He's got tireless energy," Alvarez told the Capital Times of Madison. "Kids want to see the head coach. They want to hear from the head coach. He relates to them well. Kids like him."

He has already got the endorsement of many of his players, especially those who played for him when he was Wisconsin's defensive coordinator. They learned game plans and schemes and technique from him, but more important, they got to see him lead by example as a dedicated student of the game and communicator.

"He's always got something about football in front of him," senior safety Joe Stellmacher told the Des Moines Register. "His commitment is higher than any coach I have ever seen. [He's a] very good teacher, particularly for his age. His personal and social skills with us are tremendous. He knows what we are thinking almost as we think it."

Bielema is inheriting a team that has to replace half its starters from a 10-win season that culminated in a 24-10 upset win over Auburn in the Capital One Bowl. Last year, keyed by a huge season from tailback Brian Calhoun and the steady play of quarterback John Stocco, the Badgers set school records with 446 points scored and 34.3 points per game, but they needed most of those points to cover for a defense that finished in the middle of the pack in the conference.

Under Bielema, the defense came out of nowhere to lead the Big Ten two years ago, but slipped last year after a rash of injuries. They rallied to post their finest game of the season in the bowl game, where they held an Auburn team averaging 34.2 points and 425.6 yards per game to just 236 yards of total offense and 10 points. They were opportunistic, leading the Badgers to a Big Ten-best +13 turnover margin, but Bielema knows the defense has to be more consistent this season.

"[We want to be] better against the run, on third-down efficiency, on takeaways and on scoring defense," Bielema told ESPN.com. "We want to be in the top three [in the Big Ten] in those categories next year. We want to be better in all four categories next year."

ASSISTANTS
*This is why I'm worried about Wisconsin this year. I'm not really caring about the difference between Barry Alvarez and Brett Bielema, but Wisconsin is only returning one position coach.*

• Paul Chryst (Wisconsin '88),
Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
• Mike Hankwitz (Michigan '70),
Defensive Coordinator
• Dave Doeren (Drake '94),
Co-Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
• Henry Mason (Central Missouri State '79),
Wide Receivers
• Bob Palcic (Dayton '71),
Offensive Line
• John Settle (Appalachian State '89),
Running Backs
• Bob Bostad (Wisconsin-Stevens Point '89),
Tight Ends
• Kerry Cooks (Iowa '00),
Defensive Backs
• Randall McCray (Appalachian State '91),
Defensive Line

Last edited:
QUARTERBACKS

There's not much depth here, but that's largely because senior John Stocco (6-2, 206) has started 25 straight games since taking over the job two seasons ago. Last year, Stocco set Wisconsin season records with 2,920 passing yards, 21 touchdowns and 328 attempts -- yes, the 13-game schedule had something to do with that, but it's more impressive considering the Badgers' run-oriented offense that fed Calhoun the ball nearly 40 more times than any other running back in Division I-A.

Stocco has had his rocky moments in Madison, especially after throwing just nine touchdowns and seven picks in his first year as a starter. But while the interceptions were up to nine last year, he threw for almost 1,000 more yards as a junior and began to shed his reputation as a caretaker quarterback who's not asked to make big plays.

"I think that John is his own hardest critic -- and he's got a good ability, which he needs," Chryst told the Badger Herald. "He's not going to get too high or too low. He doesn't need to read anything to affect how he feels, so I think he's tremendous there."

Stocco needed that even-keel attitude when the boos rained down on him at Camp Randall from time to time, but fans should also keep in mind that only three quarterbacks in the country won more games than Stocco's 19 in the last two years, and two of them were USC's Matt Leinart and Texas' Vince Young.

"He's a guy that, from sophomore year on, when he started every game, a lot of people were criticizing him, and he never really paid attention to that," linebacker Mark Zalewski told the Badger Herald. "If I brought it up just as a joke, he'd just laugh it off, and I think that's what you need out of a starting quarterback, a guy who just comes to work every day and just pays attention to what he needs to do and doesn't worry about what other people say about him."

The Badgers need another injury-free season from Stocco to give them time to groom his eventual replacement, especially because neither junior Tyler Donovan (6-1, 190) nor redshirt freshman Dustin Sherer (6-4, 209) looked good in spring drills.

"They both have issues with ball management, being able to hang on to the football," Bielema told the Journal-Sentinel. "And as a quarterback you can't guess. If you guess, you're going to throw yourself into a situation where if you're right you may look like a million bucks. But if you're wrong, the ball could be going the other way."

RUNNING BACKS

Brian Calhoun crossed the Madison sky like a shooting star -- one minute he was there, rushing for 1,636 yards and scoring 22 touchdowns in his first season as a Badger, and the next minute, he was gone. The transfer from Colorado declared early for the NFL draft and was taken by the Detroit Lions in the third round.

The change of pace back last year was Booker Stanley, who carried the ball 69 times for 340 yards and three scores, but after numerous brushes with the law, Stanley finally was dismissed from the team in the offseason. The Badgers entered spring drills looking for a replacement among a handful of candidates with extremely limited college experience. Among the projected top four running backs, two have never played a down of college football and the other two had a combined 31 carries between them last year.

"At that position in particular, certain guys have certain strengths that they'll be better catered to than others and we'll have to utilize that as coaches," Bielema said. "What we're trying to do is find out who our first-and-10 back is. Who's going to be able to set a precedent on first down just as much as a runner as a pass threat as well as a block protector."

Redshirt freshman P.J. Hill (5-11, 235) has recovered from a broken leg that kept him on the sideline last year and emerged from spring drills as the No. 1 option at tailback. He had a shot at winning the backup job last year as a true freshman before he was hurt, but after a winter of rehabbing the injury, he blew away the coaching staff in spring drills and grabbed control of the top spot in the backfield.

"I like P.J. I like his strength. I like his gamesmanship. If he sees an edge, he'll take it. He's got great power," Bielema said. "He was a guy that after the second week of camp [last year] really was not able to run all the way until we got to about halfway through winter conditioning. He's a guy that with a summer of conditioning ? he'll be in full physical condition and have a pretty good looking body."

Junior Jamil Walker (6-2, 221) was the No. 1 back before spring practice, when Hill passed him on the depth chart, but he's got enough size and speed to make an impact if called upon. Last year Walker had 18 carries for 96 yards and a touchdown.

He'll be pushed by senior Dywon Rowan (5-9, 243), a former walk-on who had 13 carries for 34 yards and a touchdown last year. He doesn't look like the typical tailback, but his quickness and elusive running style have opened eyes in Madison.

"A couple of the linebackers call me 'Big Shifty,' " Rowan told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. "Because of my size people don't think I can move like that. I think that's an advantage for me."

The wild card in the mix is incoming freshman Lance Smith (5-10, 197) of Warren, Ohio. Last year he rushed for 1,850 yards and 20 touchdowns at Howland High School and was rated among the top 100 prep players in the nation by ESPN.com. Depending on the health and productivity of the other backs, Smith could find himself in the mix immediately. At the conclusion of spring drills, Bielema even went out of his way to mention Smith among his backfield candidates.

"I like how the running backs have come along," Bielema told the Badger Herald. "But we'll see what Mr. Smith can bring to the table."
The deep reserves include redshirt freshmen Jerry Butler (5-9, 186) and Dion Foster (5-8, 216).

At fullback, the Badgers must replace Matt Bernstein, a rock-solid blocker and goal-line plow horse who missed half of his senior year with injuries. After Bernstein went down last year, the Badgers often went with a two tight end offense, but when a fullback was used, junior Chris Pressley (6-1, 268) and sophomore Bill Rentmeester (6-0, 254) got most of the action. Pressley started three games, carrying the ball just three times for five yards, while Rentmeester came off the bench in eight games, getting six carries for 27 yards. Junior Josh Balts (6-1, 247) and redshirt freshman Ted Hanrahan (6-3, 244) will provide depth at fullback.

Last edited:
WIDE RECEIVERS/TIGHT ENDS

Wisconsin took a big hit at both of these positions. Among the wide receivers lost to graduation were Brandon Williams, whose 59 catches and 1,095 yards led the team and produced a Big Ten-best 18.5 yards per catch. Williams, also an ace kick returner, was a third-round draft pick of the San Francisco 49ers, while Jonathan Orr (40 catches, 688 yards, team-high eight TDs) went to the Titans in the sixth round. Juniors Marcus Randle El (5-10, 191) and Paul Hubbard (6-4, 218) will get the first shot at the starting assignments based more on their play in spring camp than their combined two receptions last year. Randle El, though not as shifty as his brother Antwaan, is known for his outstanding hands, while Hubbard, the Big Ten champion in the long jump, will be the guy to stretch the field while showing surprising receiver skills for a track star.

"We're looking for [Hubbard] to develop a level of consistency where we can count on him for whatever it is, try to define his role and see how far he can take it," Mason told the Journal-Sentinel. "He has some good tools, and now he has his opportunity to take a step forward and we're hoping he can do that."

Among the top reserves, junior Jarvis Minton (6-1, 202) missed three games last year with a foot injury, then missed much of spring practice after re-aggravating the foot. redshirt freshman Jarmal Ruffin (6-4, 205) showed promise this spring while making the switch from defensive back, and redshirt freshman Richard Kirtley (6-2, 182) -- hopes to turn a strong spring showing into playing time this fall.

"We need to get them to the point where they fully understand what they're doing so they can just play fast and just cut it loose, and that's going to be a continual process," Stocco told the Badger Herald. "I think it's something that we won't be done with this spring. We've got to keep working throughout the summer and fall camp, and we'll be ready to go."
Seniors Derek Konkol (5-9, 181) and Jeff Holzbauer (5-11, 194) and junior Luke Swan (6-0, 200) are among the upperclassmen reserves, while redshirt freshmen Matt Gifford (6-1, 200), Shane Phillips (6-1, 183), Chris Eernisse (5-11, 169) and T.J. Theus (6-2, 186) will get their first shot at playing time this fall.

At tight end, the Badgers lost Owen Daniels and Jason Pociask to the NFL draft. Daniels, who caught 22 passes for 268 yards and four touchdowns last year, was taken by the Houston Texans with the first pick of the fourth round, while Pociask (seven catches for 79 yards) went to the New York Jets in the fifth round.

The starter will likely be either sophomore Sean Lewis (6-7, 245) or junior Andy Crooks (6-3, 264), with sophomore Travis Beckum (6-4, 215) pushing to get on the field as well. Crooks and Beckum both switched over from defense in the offseason and are still in the project phase of their development.

"Both of those guys are in the same boat because what they're doing out there, they're doing for the first time," tight ends coach Bob Bostad said. "They have no reference point. Everything is brand new. It's like they're learning Russian 101."

OFFENSIVE LINE

The line will feature at least three new faces this fall, replacing the graduated center Donovan Raiola, guard Jason Palermo and tackle Matt Lawrence. But one familiar face to Big Ten fans will be back from an injury and starring at left tackle. Senior Joe Thomas (6-8, 306) was a first-team All-America pick by Pro Football Weekly last year and was selected to the Playboy preseason All-America team this season. Widely considered to be one of the top five picks in the 2007 NFL draft, he's spent the offseason rehabbing a torn ACL suffered in Wisconsin's bowl game. "It's an unfortunate thing, but it happened in the middle of the third quarter when we were winning the game and we ended up winning the game," Thomas told the Journal-Sentinel. "So essentially, if I can come back for the first game I'll miss a quarter and a half. As bad as it was and as unfortunate as it was, it couldn't have happened at a better time. I knew going into my rehab I'd have to be optimistic and positive, and that would be the best way to attack it. That's the way I've been, so it's gone well so far."

Thomas is expected to be back in time for fall practice, and his experience will be crucial for this line to meld. The only other experienced hand will be sophomore Kraig Urbik (6-6, 321), who started all 13 games at right tackle last year but will be making the switch to right guard this season. Urbik was chosen to the Big Ten all-freshman team by The Sporting News last year when he was the first Badger freshman to start at tackle in a decade. He'll line up next to sophomore Eric VandenHeuvel (6-7, 326), his high school teammate in Hudson, Wis.

Sophomore Andy Kemp (6-6, 321) will get the nod at left guard, while the center will be junior Marcus Coleman (6-6, 314), who was plagued by shaky exchanges with Stocco during spring practice, and will have to improve this fall to hold off junior Luke Knauf (6-4, 314).

The top reserves at tackle will be junior Mike Van Someren (6-7, 320), who filled in for Thomas on the first team during spring drills, and junior Danny Kaye (6-8, 317). At guard, look for redshirt freshman Jeffrey Stehle (6-6, 299) and junior Andrew Weininger (6-6, 314) to push for playing time. Redshirt freshman Mike Lenzendorf (6-1, 297) and Dirk Watters (6-2, 237) will get their first taste of college action this year.

KICKERS

Junior Taylor Mehlhaff (5-11, 185) secured this position with a stellar effort last year. He went 14-for-17 on field goals inside of 50 yards last year and scored 98 points, second most for a kicker in school history. Redshirt freshman Matt Fischer (5-11, 182) and sophomore Adam Schober (5-11, 203) are the top reserves.

Last edited:
DEFENSIVE LINE

Dontez Sanders led the team with 95 tackles last year, while LaMarr Watkins emerged as a starter on the other side, making 52 tackles, good for sixth on the team, so replacing them will be key. But with a slew of athletic young candidates to fill the void, the linebacker corps should be the rock of the defense this year. Senior Mark Zalewski (6-2, 236) will call the shots in the middle as a three-year starter. He led the team in tackles for loss with 12.5 last year and was a team captain already as a junior.
Meanwhile, a pair of talented sophomores will get a shot at replacing Sanders and Watkins on the outside. DeAndre Levy (6-3, 220) and Jonathan Casillas (6-2, 208) each saw spot duty last year but have impressed the coaching staff with their speed and quickness.

"They can run," Bielema said. "Our coaches noticed that right away. ? They bring a little bit of maturity. [Mark Zalewski] has been [through a lot] for a couple years now. I really like the experience that DeAndre and Jon were able to gain during the course of the year last year and then playing in the Auburn game. They are athletically very gifted, but the bottom line is they need to be able to make plays."

Senior Paul Joran (6-3, 228) returns to provide experience off the bench, while sophomore Jammar Crane (6-1, 199) and redshirt freshman Elijah Hodge (6-1, 220) -- younger brother of former Iowa star Abdul Hodge -- will be among the top reserves. Look for sophomore Ryan Flasch (6-1, 221) to break into the rotation sometime this fall as well if he can get healthy. Flasch had a strong spring before suffering a knee injury late in practice and his status for this season remains undetermined.

Junior Casey Hogan (6-5, 206), sophomores Ben Landgraf (6-3, 217) and Joshua Neal (5-10, 242), and redshirt freshmen Adam Ludovic (6-0, 207) and O'Brien Schofield (6-3, 234) round out the corps.

LINEBACKERS

Dontez Sanders led the team with 95 tackles last year, while LaMarr Watkins emerged as a starter on the other side, making 52 tackles, good for sixth on the team, so replacing them will be key. But with a slew of athletic young candidates to fill the void, the linebacker corps should be the rock of the defense this year. Senior Mark Zalewski (6-2, 236) will call the shots in the middle as a three-year starter. He led the team in tackles for loss with 12.5 last year and was a team captain already as a junior.
Meanwhile, a pair of talented sophomores will get a shot at replacing Sanders and Watkins on the outside. DeAndre Levy (6-3, 220) and Jonathan Casillas (6-2, 208) each saw spot duty last year but have impressed the coaching staff with their speed and quickness.

"They can run," Bielema said. "Our coaches noticed that right away. ? They bring a little bit of maturity. [Mark Zalewski] has been [through a lot] for a couple years now. I really like the experience that DeAndre and Jon were able to gain during the course of the year last year and then playing in the Auburn game. They are athletically very gifted, but the bottom line is they need to be able to make plays."

Senior Paul Joran (6-3, 228) returns to provide experience off the bench, while sophomore Jammar Crane (6-1, 199) and redshirt freshman Elijah Hodge (6-1, 220) -- younger brother of former Iowa star Abdul Hodge -- will be among the top reserves. Look for sophomore Ryan Flasch (6-1, 221) to break into the rotation sometime this fall as well if he can get healthy. Flasch had a strong spring before suffering a knee injury late in practice and his status for this season remains undetermined.

Junior Casey Hogan (6-5, 206), sophomores Ben Landgraf (6-3, 217) and Joshua Neal (5-10, 242), and redshirt freshmen Adam Ludovic (6-0, 207) and O'Brien Schofield (6-3, 234) round out the corps.

DEFENSIVE BACKS

The key losses in the secondary were a pair of senior cornerbacks, Brett Bell and Levon Rowan. Bell made 11 starts and finished second on the team with eight pass breakups, while Rowan started two games and served as a valuable reserve, breaking up seven passes on the year. Rowan shared his starting job with the two players slated to get the nod this year -- sophomores Allen Langford (5-11, 188) and Jack Ikegwuonu (6-1, 199). In eight starts, Langford made 39 tackles and picked off two passes, while Ikegwuonu started two games but tied for the team lead with three interceptions. He also made a big impression in the spring game with a couple of big impact hits at the line of scrimmage, showing off his run support skills.

"Jack even last year would do that at times," Bielema told the Journal-Sentinel. "What we've been on Jack about is just becoming a complete football player. I think he is beginning to do that."

A pair of seniors will hold down the safety positions. At strong safety, Joe Stellmacher (6-1, 222) is the team's leading returning tackler with 90 last year, when he was an honorable mention all-conference pick. Meanwhile, free safety Roderick Rogers (6-2, 186) earned a second-team All-Big Ten honors and is on the Lott Trophy watch list this season. He started all 13 games last year, making 56 tackles and also picking off three passes.
The top candidate for nickel back is reserve cornerback Zach Hampton (5-10, 171), a senior who's moving over from free safety in his final season. He seems to be a quick study, making an impact in the spring game with a 59-yard interception return for a touchdown.

Junior Ben Strickland (5-9, 176) will vie for playing time at corner, while senior Johnny White (6-2, 223) and sophomore Shane Carter (6-2, 199) will be the top backup safeties. Juniors James Kamoku (6-2, 218), Nate Egholm (5-10, 218) and Joe Sibley (5-9, 179), sophomores Aubrey Pleasant (6-0, 205) and Jameson Davis (6-0, 190), and redshirt freshmen William Hartmann (5-11, 194), Prince Moody (5-11, 190), Phil Ayeni (6-2, 160), Brian Herman (6-2, 191) and Tony Morrissey (6-0, 174) round out the depth chart.

PUNTERS

The Badgers have a good one in junior Ken DeBauche (6-2, 221), who was a consensus first-team All-Big Ten pick and earned some All-America mentions after leading the conference with a school-record 44.8-yard average per kick. Junior Paul Standring (6-1, 215) is available as a backup.

SPECIAL TEAMS

At long snapper, junior Steve Johnson (6-3, 246) returns as the starter, with Peck and redshirt freshman Andrew Woodward (6-4, 218) in reserve. DeBauche and Standring will serve as holders on kicks. The key to the return game will be finding somebody to replace Brandon Williams, who finished second in the Big Ten in punt returns (14.6-yard average and two touchdowns) and third in kickoff returns (28.0 yards per attempt) last year. Look for Randle El and Hampton to get a shot at returning punts, while Minton and Hampton will drop back on kickoffs.

BLUE RIBBON ANALYSIS

Bielema has already instilled a no nonsense attitude in Madison, cutting ties with a handful of players who were headaches to Alvarez and his staff.
His players like his enthusiasm, dedication and ability to communicate on their level. He's surrounded himself with a quality staff of veteran assistants, so he's got a safety net of experience behind him. With a cupcake nonconference schedule likely providing four easy wins, the Badgers should have no problem getting to a bowl, and don't be surprised to see them somewhere on your TV on New Year's Day.

Grading the Badgers
Offense B-
Special teams B+
Defense B
Intangibles A

Week 1 Thoughts

So now we have a better understanding of the 2006 Badgers we need to examine their week #1 oppponent.

Wisconsin Badgers at Bowling Green (Cleveland Brown's Stadium)
September 2 1:00pm

Bowling Green returns 6 offensive starters and 5 defensive starters, but only have 25 Juniors and Seniors on their roster. So you could consider them a young an inexperienced team.

They lost "superstar" QB Omar Jacobs early to the NFL draft and redshirt sophomore Anthony Turner is the likely replacement for him. Unfortunately for Bowling Green Anthony Turner will be suspended for the Wisconsin game after being arrested for marijuana possession this offseason. QB Freddie Barnes will get the start in the game and he has no collegiate game experience. Thankfully, the Falcons return a host of proven offensive lineman that should help protect the inexperienced QB.

Junior Dan Macon will more than likely be the starting running back. They red-shirted him last season because of depth that is now gone so they'd have him for the next two years. "He's considered the fastest kid on the team." There backup is also going to be gone because of academic issues.

At WR they bring back a few interesting players. Among them is Ruben Ruiz who started 6 times last season and had 11 receptions for 174 yards and one touchdown. The other expected starter is Corey Patridge who had 8 catches and 160 yars and a td against Wisconsin last season in Madison. The rest of the year he had 15 catches and 157 yards because of injuries and inconsistency.

Bowling Green will try to get by with Freshmen Sean Ellis at their place kicker, if he struggles Nate Gross could step in. Neither play has kicked in college. Punter Alonso Rojas is also a freshmen, but scout.com ranked him the #1 prep punter in the country coming in this season.

The strength of Bowling Greens defense will be on the defensive line. They only return one player at linebacker, but have some young speedsters. Antonio Smith was a freshman All-American last season returns to provide stellar play in the secondary. This season they're going to need some more underclassmen to step up.

BLUE RIBBON ANALYSIS

The hype has died down in Bowling Green, but that doesn't mean the program has run its course and is headed back down the MAC standings.

The Falcons will be young, but they have talent and picked a good time to reload, with the MAC East lacking a dominant team. You've heard the old saying "saving for a rainy day" -- well, that's what this program has done by collecting redshirt freshman and sophomores to replace some holes. Brandon knows what he's doing and relishes the opportunity to fly under the radar a bit this fall.

BGSU needs a few things to fall into place in order to be successful and extend its streak of winning seasons. First, Turner needs to stay out of trouble and focus on his job on the field. The offense also needs some of the new playmakers to keep healthy and make plays.

The front seven on defense should make things easier for a virtually brand new secondary. The freshmen kickers also need to get the job done.

There's no reason the Falcons shouldn't be one of the better teams in the MAC again this season and push Akron for the East title.

Grading the Falcons
Offense B+
Special teams C
Defense B+
Intangibles A-

Bowling Green is a perfect team for Wisconsin to start the season against. The Falcons will need to respect John Stocco's arm with their young secondary and will be probably using some zone schemes and keeping their linebackers back to help. This will allow Wisconsin and PJ Hill to establish their run game. Wisconsin has one of the largest offensive lines in the country, and should be able to neutralize BG defensive strenght. It's going to be a bit different this year in Wisconsin as the passing game will open up the ground game.

On the defensive side, Wisconsin should be able to tee off on whoever is in their at QB. The Wisconsin defensive line can go 7 or 8 deep as almost all of those guys got starts last year because of injuries. In the first game of the season conditioning/heat will be key and keeping the defensive linemen fresh should provide an edge against the offensive line.

It is my opinion that Wisconsin has one of the top punters in the country which will give them an advantage in field position all day. They have more experience in almost all facets of special teams and should be dominate against Bowling Green. Marcus Randal El should be able to provide some big play returns and make Wisconsin a winner in this game.

Looking at some of the intangibles in this game is the stadium where they're playing. Wisconsin players are use to playing in front of 100,00 people in the crowd. Playing on National TV in an NFL stadium will not faze them. The Bowling Green coach had this to say about the game, "It's a great opportunity for our program," Brandon said. "It will be great exposure and a television game." Look for Wisconsin to get an early lead and never give it up.

Predicted Final Score: Wisconsin 38 Bowling Green 20

In some of these early lines coming out, Wisconsin opened as a pk, which I think is laughable. Anything under 3, and I might make this the biggest play of my life. I'm going to hit this line up to -7 LARGE and will still hit it strong at -10. Anything else I'll re-evaluate, but more than likely will be on Wisky up to two touchdowns.

Fondy...good work...

I actually in the last hour have been looking at their schedule and doing some line projections.

First of all, nice scheduling with Western Illinois(haha).

As far as this Bowling Green opener, the line that millenium released puzzles me. I have ran a few numbers and I have gotten projected spreads of up to -10 for the Badgers. I think something in between would be better suited. I only can help that Pinny releases a soft line as well.

One thing is, this game is at Browns stadium. Also, as u would know, your team travels well. The homefield advantage for the Falcons will be mimimal in my opinion.

As for the rest of the season, and Imma sure you will get to those games, you guys should be favored in about 8 of the 11 lined games.

I was trying to look at potential spots:

-I figure SDSU to be getting about 2 TD's in the third game. This may be a good dog role the week before the Michigan game.

-The week after Michigan may play prominently as well depending on the prior weeks result.

-Revenge game against NW. With the expected improvement of UW defense, this may be a good spot.

-Purdue game will be tough. I see about a 3 point spread their for the home team.

-Buffalo may be a good spot in the finale after a tough road game the week before. Obviously, bowl implicattions may change that.

No Ohio State, no Michigan State. Definetly gotta like that. I see about 8-4.

Great thread. Me and Hunt need to get a Big Blue one up.

B.A.R. said:
No Ohio State, no Michigan State. Definetly gotta like that. I see about 8-4.

Great thread. Me and Hunt need to get a Big Blue one up.

I'd be SHOCKED if Wisconsin didn't go 4-0 in non-conference games, with a win at Bowling Green, vs. Western Illinois, vs. San Diego State, vs. Buffalo.

In conference this is what should be expected based on Talent/Location (no injuries)
Wisconsin SHOULD, win at least 3 of their 4 conference home games...
vs Northwestern (be interesting how they respond to coaches death)
vs Minnesota (no running game)
vs Illinois (still not enough talen)
vs Penn State (be interesting how they come out of the gate)
Wisconsin could win at least 2 of their conference road games...
at Michigan (Michigan should win)
at Indiana (expect this as easiest road game/wisky historically struggles vs. them)
at Purdue (should be a toss up)
at Iowa (Iowa owns us at home)

Thus I see Wisconsin at least 8-4 (anything less, as we normally have one "WTF is going on game", I'd be extremely disappointed). I'm expecting a 9-3 season out of them. 10-2 I'd be thrilled.

im gonna be here all night readin this damn write up. i m gonna hate seein ur damn green bay write up. i hate wiscy, i cant even believe im gonna read all this...

great write up fondy, will be lookin close at wiscy vs BG week 1 once lines drop from pinny

I would've bet my Caddilac if I could have on betmill's opening line putting Whisky at PK. That was the first line I played when they opened there lines.

trupicker said:
im gonna be here all night readin this damn write up. i m gonna hate seein ur damn green bay write up. i hate wiscy, i cant even believe im gonna read all this...

LMFAO.....

Don't waste your time....:cool:

fondy, this is some good stuff here buddy...looking forward to sharing thoughts over the course of the season...

College Football Networks Rankings...

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]30. Wisconsin
2006 Predicted Finish:
9-3
2005 Predicted Finish:
7-5
2005 Record:
10-3

Many will once again underestimate the Badgers with only three starters returning on an offense that loses the top seven pass catchers along with touchdown machine Brian Calhoun, but the team is at a point where it can reload. The new starting receivers could be among UW's fastest ever, there are more than enough huge, pounding running backs to carry the workload, and the line should be better with three legitimate All-Big Ten candidates returning. The defense struggled last season finishing 92nd in the nation, but that was mostly because of a young line that never got healthy. Now there are eight fantastic prospects up front, speed at outside linebacker and corner, and steady All-Big Ten caliber players at safety and middle linebacker.

Relative Strengths: defensive line, special teams
Relative Weaknesses:
receiver, running back

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2006/Rankings/Preview2006_30_39.htm

[/FONT]

I look at Wisconsin and I think to myself, "Don't get caught up in the program, stay with the facts." Last year, many got caught up in Oklahoma's program early and over-hyped them as a team that would simply "reload." Oklahoma fans soon learned in their opener that Oklahoma would have to "rebuild." I have no doubt here that Wisky will be rebuilding offensively, but they do have one advantage over Oklahoma's program of last season -- they have a Senior starting QB.

I really think what we have here is two programs playing each other that are in the rebuilding phase. So, all we have to do is simply look at the power and recruiting base of both programs to find the potential outcome. Wisky has been an outstanding program for two years running and has recruited well in that time frame. They are the members of the Big Ten conference. Bowling Green, on the other hand, has had some success in the MAC a couple of years ago, but laid an egg last year after being expected to win the MAC. Their recruiting base is nothing in comparison to Wisky's and it may take as many as 3 years to recover from their losses.

I'm seeing in the early "power rating" systems as many as Wisky being given -13 to -4. This may be the reason for the fluctuation in the early line. It appears that this is a game Vegas can't judge with all the new replacements being added to teams. That's why we will likely get the opportunity to take advantage of the line in this game for some early cash!!

Thanks for the write-ups and extensive info, Fondy!
beerchug.gif

Back