2 for Sunday

BetCrimes1984

CTG Big Brother
I rarely bet early games, but for these 2 I'm making an exception.

Baltimore @Oakland
So yesterday Balt wheels out a guy who hadn't started in nearly a month and sported a road ERA nearing 6.00, against Oakland's ace, and the A's win by 1 run? If that doesn't tell you how bad Oakland has fallen (or is it low? and does it really matter), nothing will. And now impressive Guthrie, sans a recent hiccup (off extended rest), takes on a guy sporting a home ERA of 7.78 & WHIP of 1.67 and isnt the Fav?
Baltimore has been playing good ball since the break (only losses by 2, 2, 1 & 1 runs), and while Guthrie's record would be much better if he'd benefitted from decent run support (even so, 3-0, 1.79 ERA on the road), the O's bats have been swinging well since the mid-term rest (5.00 runs/game). They are 15-13 under their new manager, after going 29-40 prior to his insertion.
Oakland has not been playing good ball (understatement of the season.... 1-13 on the RL last 14). Oakland's sole impressive win in 3 weeks needed 3 unearned runs and a garbage lineup put out by the opposing team. Lets see that lightning strike twice here. OK, Braden pitched well in his only start vs the Os + Guthrie, but the Os were (embarking) on a 1-9 SU stretch after overperforming (10-3 SU) - what went up was coming down. Additionally, the As were hitting then. That reality is a long distant memory from a past that's since deceased, lol. The fact the Os are no longer new to him also helps. To me, this is a no-brainer bet. I have to make this bet.

I might add Oakland is 5-9 SU their last 14 home games. Wins by 1, 1, 2, 2 & 6 runs, every loss by at least 3 runs, and no consecutive wins in sight.

Home teams of -160 or less are 6-11 SU with the Ump BHP.

San Francisco @Milwaukee
Mr. Claudio *I'm-garbage-but-keep-getting away-with-it* Vargas, sporting his "my team is 9-0 in my home starts this season". Ripley's do you believe that shit, or what? ERA of 5.93 & WHIP of 1.74 last 6 home starts goes undefeated? 5 as a decent Fav? Staved off defeat last home start curtesy of a hit from himself (batting 2-24 prior to said AB) and a dropped foul ball off another. By God this man's shit dont stink.
My guess at the square thoughts for this game something like...
*Man, Brew Crew have a great home record, their starter just can't be beat here, SFN is shite, basically can't hit for crap, Barry likely out, and I'm expected to believe they're gonna sweep? when on top of it all MIL butchered SFN with this exact match-up here just on a month ago?*
...with the problem being a lot can change in a month. MIL is 1-8 on the RL since the AS break, 2-13 on the RL their last 15 games. Ouch. A lot of scraped by wins are the only reason they still hold a divisional lead. An impressive divisional leader this is not.
Impressive is a word that can't be used in the same sentence as the Giants, but can be used to when comparing Zito's 2nd halves to his 1st halves, traditionally. He's started well enough after the break (60-27 lifetime after the All-Star break, compared with 49-45 before), and as for his team - as is so often seen in baseball, when a bunch of losers grab a win or 2, things can often turn around quickly in the short term (I recall a putrid Padres team winning 14 straight). SFN 5-1 on the RL last 6 games after going 16-28 their prior 44, all because their bats got hot.
As they had an non evening start for their Saturday game, and MIL have a starter going that offers Barry potential home runs, SFN's manager has said Barry not playing isnt etched in stone.
San Fran isnt worth as much as Balty is, but to me they're still worth something.

Last edited:
BetCrimes- Nice writeup today! I will be on Baltimore today, leaning Giants haven't decided on that yet. Good luck today bro!

I took SF last night and will be on the O's. Excellent writeups CTG. Let us know what other games you may add today, thanks. Da Man on Fire

Vargas has won four of his last five decisions and is 5-0 in nine starts at Miller Park -- including a June 20 win over the Giants. With the loss of Ben Sheets to injury, Vargas and the rest of the rotation need to start pitching deeper into games. Vargas has not pitched more than six innings in any of his starts this season and has been limited to five innings in three of his last four starts. That means extra work for a bullpen that could use a break.

:shake:Crimes,
Was wondering when you were going to talk about this baltimore team..
Great ball since the break I agree with great reasoning.
Like the o's anf looking into the giants game..

Terps, MoF, Farm, Miracle, jeremy, Timh - thanks guys.

Just awoke, what a nail biter in Oakland. Hope they can tag on an insurance run or 2. At least Guthrie looks like he can go 9. Hope he's not pulled prematurely. Avoid that pen of theirs.

Bet,any thoughts on the Tex/Ind game. I should have hedged my bet on the Giants game with the Over. I read that Zito was pumped for this game and what does he do, he craps the bed again.

MoF - as for my 2 early games, Im not going to say a bad word about SFN. I'm not a flat bettor, and I def. got the 1 specific result I wanted.

As for the late games, my leans are Over in Texas & Under in Atlanta. NL Home Favs are 0-4 this ESPN Sun nite season, so you can approach that as a trend, or as something pointing to *what's due*. I really have no set thoughts on the sides, I'm still doing the leg work on these totals.

O's :smiley_acbe:

How good was Guthrie? Very nice.. To be honest, I liked the game to start with but I bumped it to 4 units after I saw your post:cheers:.

Keep posting your baseball thoughts. Very valuable to me.

Thanks, Yanks. Unfortunately something came up which derailed my focus for the night games (and I had 10.5 available in Texas as well).

:cheers:

Back