2-14 Pre All-Star break criteria

BetCrimes1984

CTG Big Brother
Its been my pattern for a number of seasons now to look for specific match-ups when it comes to teams final games before the All Star break. The qualifying criteria has been

(1) Look to play a home team (venue energy),
(2) That is the favourite (slash, the better team),
(3) That is in with a chance to make the post season (motivation),
(4) That is playing an opponent (ideally) on a road trip (hence will be their final game of that trip before the break)
(5) And that that opponent has no realistic chance of making the post season (ultimately, a meaningless contest).

Over the last 4 seasons, teams* in these circumstances are 7-2-1 ATS**. When their opponent isn't ending a road trip, but rather is playing off a home game themselves, then match-ups which otherwise match the rest of these circumstances are 2-0 ATS to the Fav.
So excepting rule 4, the overall numbers for the Fav/home team in these circumstances are 9-2-1 ATS.

*who ended up making the post season

**There was a game between Seattle & G.State that fitted these guidelines, but that was when GDS had just aquired Baron Davis, and went on their massive ATS streak in the 2nd half of that season. From my perspective, they were motivated to perform irrespective of circumstances (the biggest one, namely, being their season was dead before their run even started, since the playoffs were never a possibility). That motivation to perform even thou their playoff hopes were dead nullifies rule 5 here, hence the non-inclusion of that result.

Today there are 4 games which fit

Memphis @Indiana ............- Indiana pushed* 9-2-2
Portland @Orlando ............- Orlando covered 10-2-2
Atlanta @Los Angeles ........- Atlanta covered 10-3-2
New York @Golden State** - G.State covered 11-3-2

*opening lines

**I dont know why I overlooked this game, since GDS is in with a real chance of making the post season, while New York - given the teams ahead of them - is not.

Given Memphis started 6-3-1 ATS in their remaining December games when Gasol first rejoined that team, but has - from Jan 1st - since gone 7-14 ATS (1-6 ATS in road games), I'm starting today with a small bet (only because their recent home form has been suspect) on Indiana -9

Last edited:
El Mago - MEM only scores because they cant defend for shit.

ca$h this bitch, gentlemen :Wacka%20Wacka:
big.jpg
:Wacka%20Wacka:

Nice work again Crimes (I feel like a broken record)
Nothing like a 1pt cover.
Had a little on the over and almost hit indy before the game but passed and dont know why I passed at the half.
I got CHA and PHI which looked like a split but I might get lucky now with my boys...I should change the avatar quick as thats meant more to curse them so they can get a better pick

Nice work with Indy again....looking at playing under or atl under points in late game (and will really be looking at 2h under if 1h goes over and clips are up)

Good hit BC.
Wish I had seen it earlier.
I have enough plays tonight(all at my "home" site), but I could of fit it in.

Press

Lunch, makes up for the 1 pt DET loss to TOR a few days back. Only Rudy Yag kept MEM in that game, everyone else pretty much clocked off after halftime when Indy put their foot down. A 1 man showing doesnt deserve to cover in my book (plus Indy went scoreless between 5:39 & 1:35, shouldnt have been in doubt).

I wanted to see Brand playing late. LA's had a few too many Unders for my liking recently. And I can't but help recall last year. The only game that applied on the last day before the break was ATL @LAK, and I took the Lakers. ATL scored 110+ & won SU, and ATL was off a bad road loss. ATL off a bad loss at the Staples here? basically the same scenario. Brand would ease my fears enough to ignore that memory.

pressitup:cheers:

Last edited:
j3p - what I've read says its doubtful he's playing. I'll be keeping my eye on yahoo's gamecast close to gametime, but the fact they'd be waiting that long has to raise questions about how much he could give anyway. It simply wont be a normal effort from him, which IMO opens the door for the Hawks, if they're interested. Now for me, if he's healthy and playing, then I dont give a toss what the Hawks are, but Brand is one of those players.

I see the Clips winning by 8 w/o Brand

11 if he plays.

Goodluck with the rest of the night BC

Back