1st Round Match-Ups!

Can't wait to do my Cup playoffs capping which involves a couple concussions and a trip to the dentist

Got some good vibes this season on a couple teams that aren't just massive favorites

Love the Blues.
Also, can’t understand the Tampa Toronto line. Seems to be begging for Tampa $$? They been playing great end of season and obviously have playoff experience. What am I missing?

I'm staying away from those close games. Tampa/Toronto Bruins/Hurricanes.

Dallas are 12-6 SU in their last 18 games against Calgary.

Dallas are 7-2 SU in their last 9 games when playing on the road against Calgary.

Dallas A Juicy +280

Nashville are 13-7 SU in their last 20 games against Colorado

Nashville are 11-3 SU in their last 14 games when playing on the road against Colorado.

I Mean...Come On... Not Worth +500 On Nashville Here?!

I have 6 stats I value when evaluating first round matchups:

1) Team shooting percentage - will you be able to cash in on enough of your chances
2) Team save percentage - saves nearly as much a team stat as an individual goalie stat
3) Power play opportunity differential - do you get the calls like Pittsburgh and Colorado or are you going to be fighting an uphill battle on special teams like Carolina
4) Penalty kill % - defense trumps offense in the playoffs
5) Top 4 defenseman total goals scored - that extra man on the rush that can finish is huge in the playoffs
6) Points per game last 25 - Have you been struggling or did your team hit its stride in the last third of the season

Based on these the best upset chance is the Blues over the Wild. Power play is a huge advantage for St. Louis.

Close matchups that should go the distance are the two involving Washington and Pittsburgh. They should both get their usual power play love that should keep them in the series, although I see them both going down in 7.

Colorado could definitely sweep Nashville, 1 win at most for the Preds. Its the only matchup where own team is superior in all 6 categories. Edmonton and Calgary are both solid favorites even though their opponents should get more PP chances. Offensively the Alberta teams are just much better.

Carolina and Tampa both should get it done in 6. Some years there can be 4 or 5 upsets but this year I only see one with a couple of more game 7s thrown in.

Finally get a chance to fade Tampa and you like them Gandy?

This been on my wish list for years but I'm still young

Hockey is not my main area of expertise, don't let my thoughts dissuade you.

Actually my favorite thing with the hockey playoffs is chasing 1 home and 1 road win in each series.

Oh it's when I actually start watching now, mental notes are thinner than those Listerine strips but it is the best tournament in all of sport and I'm a diehard CBB fan

Hockey like 4th-5th on my list but not sure anything beats the nhl playoffs!

Reactions: KJ
LOST NASH +500...

WON STL +123

DALLAS 2Night... +280

Round 2 Thoughts...

Caps Were NO JOKE 1st Round...I Saw Flaws In Florida...

Tampa Went 7... Rough And Tumble Series...I Love Dogs...And Odds Remind Me Of My 1st Round Blues Wager...

TAMPA +123 For The Series...

Is Colorado Legit?! Sure...

Will I Take STL At Over 3-1 Odds?!

Oh HELL YA!

St.Louis +320 For The Series...

Thoughts? Plays? GL!

I have 6 stats I value when evaluating first round matchups:

1) Team shooting percentage - will you be able to cash in on enough of your chances
2) Team save percentage - saves nearly as much a team stat as an individual goalie stat
3) Power play opportunity differential - do you get the calls like Pittsburgh and Colorado or are you going to be fighting an uphill battle on special teams like Carolina
4) Penalty kill % - defense trumps offense in the playoffs
5) Top 4 defenseman total goals scored - that extra man on the rush that can finish is huge in the playoffs
6) Points per game last 25 - Have you been struggling or did your team hit its stride in the last third of the season

Based on these the best upset chance is the Blues over the Wild. Power play is a huge advantage for St. Louis. CHECK

Close matchups that should go the distance are the two involving Washington and Pittsburgh. They should both get their usual power play love that should keep them in the series, although I see them both going down in 7. Rangers CHECK, Panthers off by 1 game.

Colorado could definitely sweep Nashville, 1 win at most for the Preds. Its the only matchup where own team is superior in all 6 categories. CHECK Edmonton and Calgary are both solid favorites even though their opponents should get more PP chances. Offensively the Alberta teams are just much better. Expected less than 7 but got the winners right.

Carolina and Tampa both should get it done in 6. Off by 1 game apiece but the right choices. Some years there can be 4 or 5 upsets but this year I only see one with a couple of more game 7s thrown in.
Bracket is 8-0.

Back