122nd Army v Navy

It is in New York (Meadowlands NJ) because they wanted to play it in NY for the 20th anniversary of September 11th. Pretty sure next year it goes back to Philly.

I don't know the totals, but can offer the prior scores for your consideration:

2020 - Army 15 (-7.5) - Navy 0 (in West Point)
2019 - Army 7 - Navy 31 (-10.5) (Malcom Perry)
2018 - Army 17 (-7.5) - Navy 10
2017 - Army 14 (+3) - Navy 13 (heavy snow)
2016 - Army 21 (+4.5) - Navy 17
2015 - Army 17 - Navy 21 (-22)
2014 - Army 10 - Navy 17 (-15.5)
2013 - Army 7 - Navy 34 (-12.5)
2012 - Army 13 - Navy 17 (-7)
2011 - Army 21 - Navy 27 (-7)
2010 - Army 17 - Navy 31 (-7.5)
2009 - Army 3 - Navy 17 (-16)
2008 - Army 0 - Navy 34 (-10.5)
2007 - Army 3 - Navy 38 (-14)
2006 - Army 14 - Navy 26 (-19.5)
2005 - Army 23 - Navy 42 (-6)
2004 - Army 13 - Navy 42 (-13)
2003 - Army 6 - Navy 34 (-21.5)
2002 - Army 12 - Navy 58 (-3)
2001 - Army 26 (-1.5) - Navy 17

The game was great!

It almost didn't feel like we were at a football game for a while. Lots of military vehicles, equipment and hardware with members of the military there to do some show and tell. You could get up close to stuff and touch it, go inside stuff and they were all very eager to inform what you were looking at and how it is used. One of the weirder things that they brought to show was a life sized mannequin with traumatic injuries that moved and squirted liquid to simulate blood so they could show how they treat injuries in the field.

The march on by all the Naval midshipman and the Army cadets was very cool in person watching it from above - better than seeing it on TV. We were in our seats by noon to see that. Navy came on the field first, so when Army marched on the field the Navy kids were in their seats. One of my favorite things was the Navy kids jeering Army while the Cadets were standing in formation on the field. I like that kind of stuff. I'm sure Army would do it too if they were seated first. The fly overs were great. The F18s representing Navy running out of the tunnel were off center from the stadium so they flew directly over us and were harder to see unless directly looking up. I soon realized why they didn't fly right over the center of the stadium because Army's flyover of 4 helicopters were coming the opposite direction nearly at the same time, so that took some coordination. The helicopter flyover was bad ass. Unfortunately there were no parachute drops due to the weather.

During the game, I imagine it felt like most other rivalries with evenly divided fans in the stands. Listening to and watching the cadets and midshipmen in the stands made it fun, felt like they were just typical students, doing silly stuff and all. Halftime was a little underwhelming, the Army and Navy bands are very very small. So the Navy band preformed and then Lee Greenwood did God Bless the USA, he's starting to lose it a little, but the setting made the performance good enough. I think watching the team group in front of the cadets and midshipman to sing post game is better on TV as they were pretty far away and you don't get that up close view of the emotion, but you get the wider view of watching it. There were just a few faint and short lived "Let's Go Brandon" chants when Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin was introduced at the coin toss.

I'd consider going every year. If you like military ceremony type stuff with your rivalry football game then it is perfect.

We were upper deck. While the game was officially a sell out, I think lots of speculators got stuck holding unused tickets. It did look full from a distance, but if you looked close enough there were enough empty seats scattered throughout the upper sections for me to think there were a couple thousand empty seats maybe. Capacity is listed at 82,500. So there was probably about 80,000 there. We bought our tickets through the Navy office at face value, which was still pretty expensive at $125 each. Pretty sure anyone going in the future won't need to consider paying over face value through a stubhub type site. Bootleg t-shirts in the parking lot after were $10 each - best deal of the day! All the official Army-Navy matchup merch inside the stadium was sold out hours before the game even started.

Great recap.

One very random observation from the game is that the option pitches were almost non-existent by both teams. Really weird given what we normally see.

Great recap.

One very random observation from the game is that the option pitches were almost non-existent by both teams. Really weird given what we normally see.

Navy broke some tendencies and ran a lot of their O out of the shotgun and utilized several reverses, most of which worked well for them.

I think Army really messed up not letting Anderson QB more of the game. When they put Tyler in it seemed forced. Anderson is the better passer and while Tyler might technically be a faster or more shifty runner, Anderson is very very good running as well (be broke that long run for first TD of game).

Felt like Army blew some chances to have a bigger lead in the 1st H and Navy really played a great 2nd H defensively obviously.

But yeah, QB and FB runs and Navy with the reverse end-around handoffs was the bulk of it.

Was a great game how it played out. Meaninful plays, conversions and stops that contributed to a tightly contested game. I was rooting for Navy. 3-8 vs 8-3. Not that it means less for Army, but they had success this year and get to play another game. Navy's season, while competitive vs some good teams, wasn't good. Winning this game washes all of that away. Army atleast keeps the CIC even if they didn't really earn keeping it.

One of the bigger plays of the game, I didn't know at the time sitting in the stands, Navy's fake punt deep in their own territory in the 4th Q wasn't a called fake. Think the Center said he thought there was an audible for a fake punt and he snapped it to Fagot who barely was able to catch the high snap he wasn't ready for or looking for. Then he had to break a tackle of an Army defender who was immediately on him behind the LOS and had to run to get the FD. That is crazy, you hear about plays like that, that aren't called, and they end up working and being pivotal in the outcome. Navy was able to kill a ton of time after that conversion and was able to kick FG on that drive to go up by 4 which ended up being the final margin.

I didn't have totals but obviously knew what they were. 17 pts on first 3 poss of game, a 17 pt 1st Q!! Then it took a FG before HT to go over the 17.5 total. That FG also lost my Navy+4 1st H. 20 pt 1st H didn't sway line makers, 2nd H total was 16.5! Then same thing, a TD on opening poss of 3rd Q. 27 pts right after HT and still stayed Und. 2nd H and game could've gone Ov with an Army TD had they won on either of their last two poss. The FB had that one almost break-away TD run on Army second to last poss. Navy ankle tackled him, saved the game.

I like to note opposite results in effect. 1st H Army/Ov, 2nd H Navy/Und

Back