(1) Buffalo vs (8) NY Islanders Articles and Discussion

Santacapper

Pretty much a regular
It was 10 years ago that Ted Nolan was named NHL coach of the year after leading a hapless Buffalo team to the playoffs. His reward was a ticket to exile for the next nine years until Islanders owner Charles Wang hired him this season.

Now Nolan has another team from the scrap heap in the playoffs, and sweet poetic justice: The opponent is the Sabres on Thursday night at HSBC Arena.

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/trb.newsday/sports/hockey/islanders;ptype=s;slug=ny-spiside095164393apr09;rg=ur;ref=newsdaycom;sz=300x250;tile=2;ord=88952663?" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><!-- BEGIN RAW TAG - 300 x 250 - Newsday: Run-of-site - DO NOT MODIFY --><SCRIPT src="http://ad.yieldmanager.com/imp?z=2&Z=300x250&s=96210" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><!-- END TAG --><NOSCRIPT>http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/trb....ef=newsdaycom;sz=300x250;tile=2;ord=88952663?</NOSCRIPT>
Buffalo won the Presidents' Trophy as the top team in the NHL, but Nolan and the Islanders might have a little emotion on their side.

Reminded of the personal nature of the matchup, Nolan diplomatically spoke about the best part of his Sabres experience. "I was very fortunate to get a start in this league and to get to know the people of Buffalo," Nolan said. "Buffalo is always a special place in my heart, but now we've got to try and beat their hockey team."

When the Devils' John Madden scored with nine-tenths of a second left to send the game to overtime, Nolan told his team the only thing they could control was their reaction. "I don't think I was breathing for the last five minutes of overtime and the shootout," Nolan said. "It seemed like time stood still. You watch it, and you see the last shooter miss, and it's a big relief off your shoulders."

Nolan can take pride in getting a team to the playoffs that was an immediate throw-out for most preseason prognosticators. "It's very gratifying, especially with the early polls," Nolan said. "I think they picked us for 30th."

Nolan said no decision has been made yet on goaltender Rick DiPietro's availability.

<TABLE width=627><TBODY><TR><TD width=500>[SIZE=+1]Buffalo Sabres[/SIZE]
Team Page | Roster | Stats
Regular Season Record: 53-22-7, 113 pts
Head-to-Head Record: 3-1
Last Stanley Cup Win: -
Last Stanley Cup Final Appearance: 1999
Last Postseason Appearance: 2006
Players with Stanley Cup Rings: Chris Drury.

Team Analysis: The Sabres began the season as a Stanley Cup favourite and they played like it right from the start by winning 10 straight games and earning a point in 11 of their first 12 contests. With plenty of speed and scoring, Buffalo is deep and strong enough to spread its attack over all four lines. Chris Drury and Daniel Briere - who become unrestricted free agents July 1 - put up career numbers and lead a lethal offense that includes Maxim Afinogenov, Thomas Vanek and Jason Pominville. With injuries hitting the Sabres down the stretch, the team also got big performances from Clarke MacArthur and Drew Stafford. The Sabres lost some grit and toughness without Taylor Pyatt and Mike Grier, but Paul Gaustad brings plenty of size and aggression and 5-9 centre Derek Roy plays a good physical game. Brian Campbell leads a reliable Buffalo defence that doesn't put a lot of points on the board, but excels in two other important elements - skating and puck control. Teppo Numminen, Henrik Tallinder, Dmitri Kalinin and Jaroslav Spacek all carry these traits well, but lack overall toughness. Ryan Miller put together another terrific campaign in goal, and will obviously have to carry it over into the second season if the Sabres want to go far. Without Martin Biron backing him up and pushing him hard, it will be interesting to see how he handles things.
</TD></TR><TR><TD>[SIZE=+1]New York Islanders[/SIZE]
Team Page | Roster | Stats
Regular Season Record: 40-30-12, 92 pts
Head-to-Head Record: 1-3
Last Stanley Cup Win: 1983
Last Stanley Cup Final Appearance: 1983
Last Postseason Appearance: 2004
Players with Stanley Cup Rings: Chris Simon (suspended for 2007 playoffs), Sean Hill.

Team Analysis: The Islanders drew a lot of snickers and puzzled looks last summer with all their offseason headlines. But in the end, they are the ones rewarded with a playoff berth while 14 other teams are finished. It all starts with a great trade deadline day acquisition in Ryan Smyth. The former heart and soul of the Edmonton Oilers not only scored five goals and 15 points in 18 games, but brought new life and leadership to a lineup that needed it. Smyth was one win short of a Stanley Cup win last spring and knows all too well about the postseason grind. Smyth is part of a deep Islanders offence that has six players with at least 20 goals this season. Jason Blake led the team in scoring and set career highs in goals and points, while journeyman Mike Sillinger emerged as a top line centre. Alexei Yashin was limited to 58 games, but put up a respectable 50 points. There will be lots of pressure on the high-priced centre to deliver, especially after a disappointing playoff in 2004 (one assist in five games). The team will miss Chris Simon's toughness and leadership, but has other good versatile players in Arron Asham, Andy Hilbert and Trent Hunter. On defence, you couldn't ask a whole lot more from Marc-Andre Bergeron. The young blueliner got a lot more playing time on the Island and had 21 points in 23 games since arriving from Edmonton in February. Tom Poti brings lots of size and a heavy shot, while Brendan Witt has the physical tools to smother any opposing star forward. The biggest question mark will be in goal, as Rick DiPietro's head injury leaves Wade Dubielewicz as the No. 1 guy. But 'Dubi' was stellar down the stretch, with critical wins over the Leafs, Flyers and Devils to clinch the final playoff spot for the Isles. He could be a big surprise in the postseason.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

PHILADELPHIA — For 10 long years, Ted Nolan seethed over the way his coaching career ended with the Buffalo Sabres. Now the New York Islanders coach will have the chance for ultimate payback. Of course, he also might be in for another world of Sabres hurt.
The top-seeded Sabres will meet the eighth-seeded Islanders in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs, with the first two games taking place Thursday and Saturday in HSBC Arena.
The Sabres on Sunday afternoon lost to the Philadelphia Flyers, 4-3, in the Wachovia Center. The game was meaningless for both teams aside from the bragging rights earned by former Sabres goalie Martin Biron, who made 27 saves to beat his old mates.
More important was a game taking place in East Rutherford, N.J.
The Islanders squeaked into the playoffs Sunday night by finishing their regular season with a clutch, 3-2 shootout victory on the road over the New Jersey Devils. The Islanders needed two points to make the playoffs. Had they lost, the Toronto Maple Leafs would have finished eighth and faced the Sabres.
“I worry about any opponent,” Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said. “We’ve been in their position before and surprised teams. They controlled their own destiny and got the job done. The way I look at it, they have a good number of worldclass players on that team. And they added another one at the deadline in Ryan Smyth. They have a strong team.”
The Sabres-Islanders matchup is loaded with compelling story lines, including a tactical showdown between two winners of the Jack Adams
Award, which goes to the coach who “contributed the most to his team’s success.” Nolan is coaching his first NHL season since winning the award in 1997, when he didn’t have his contract renewed. He helped announce Ruff as the Jack Adams recipient last year.
Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier, who oversaw the bitter Nolan divorce, learned at the knee of Bill Torrey, builder of the Islanders’ dynasty of the 1980s. Sabres center Tim Connolly began his career on Long Island. The Islanders have former Sabres sniper Miroslav Satan.
The teams’ last playoff meeting was the Islanders’ six-game victory in the Eastern Conference finals of 1980, the year Buffalo finished first in the conference in points.
The Sabres went 3-1 against the Islanders in the regular season and outscored them, 15-10.
The Sabres posted one of their two shutouts (3-0) at Long Island on Oct. 26 and followed up with a 3-1 victory on New Year’s Day in Nolan’s first game back in Buffalo.
The Islanders defeated the Sabres, 5-3, at home Jan. 27. It was one of 10 games in which the Sabres allowed five or more goals.
But the Sabres won the most recent meeting, outgunning the Islanders, 6-4, in HSBC Arena two weeks ago. They chased starter Mike Dunham with five goals in the first period but scored only once on 18 shots against Wade Dubielewicz.
“Every hockey team wants that ticket to be in the postseason because once they’re in they know anything can happen.” Ruff said. “From Game One on, we’ll have to play our best hockey to get through them.”
It’s a minor miracle the Islanders made it into the postseason. They went into the weekend in a three-way battle with the Montreal Canadiens and Maple Leafs for the last spot and required serious help.
Sunday’s drama was made possible when the Canadiens squandered a two-goal lead over the Maple Leafs and lost in regulation Saturday night. The Canadiens were eliminated despite having the most control of their fate among the three teams still alive.
“It was a stupid game for Montreal,” Buffalo defenseman Jaroslav Spacek said. “They gave up that big lead and a couple bad goals and lost the game like that. They should be dead.”
Said Sabres co-captain Daniel Briere: “I thought it was going to be Montreal, so I haven’t even thought about [the Islanders]. I don’t know what to think.”
On Sunday, the Islanders, playing without concussed franchise goalie Rick DiPietro, took a 2-0 lead deep into the third period. But Devils forward John Madden scored twice on Dubielewicz inside the final 4:13. The tying goal came with less than a second on the clock and forced a shootout. The Islanders survived behind goals from Satan and Viktor Kozlov.
“If somebody wants to show him one [an easy first-round matchup] I’d like to see it.” Ruff said. “If you look at the eight first-round series you’d be hard-pressed to get four or five winners right.”

<TABLE width=627 border=1><TBODY><TR class=one align=middle><TD>1</TD><TD>Thursday, April 12, 8pm et</TD><TD>NY Islanders @ Buffalo Sabres</TD><TD><X name="http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=163587&hubname=nhl">Recap | <X name="http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/scores/boxscore/?id=6978">Box</TD></TR><TR class=one align=middle><TD>2</TD><TD>Saturday, April 14, 7:30pm et</TD><TD>NY Islanders @ Buffalo Sabres</TD><TD><X name="http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=163587&hubname=nhl">Recap | <X name="http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/scores/boxscore/?id=6978">Box</TD></TR><TR class=one align=middle><TD>3</TD><TD>Monday, April 16, 7:30pm et</TD><TD>Buffalo Sabres @ NY Islanders</TD><TD><X name="http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=163587&hubname=nhl">Recap | <X name="http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/scores/boxscore/?id=6978">Box</TD></TR><TR class=one align=middle><TD>4</TD><TD>Wednesday, April 18, 7:30pm et</TD><TD>Buffalo Sabres @ NY Islanders</TD><TD><X name="http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=163587&hubname=nhl">Recap | <X name="http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/scores/boxscore/?id=6978">Box</TD></TR><TR class=one align=middle><TD>5</TD><TD>Friday, April 20, 7pm et</TD><TD>NY Islanders @ Buffalo Sabres</TD><TD><X name="http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=163587&hubname=nhl">Recap | <X name="http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/scores/boxscore/?id=6978">Box</TD></TR><TR class=one align=middle><TD>6</TD><TD>Sunday, April 22, 7pm et</TD><TD>Buffalo Sabres @ NY Islanders</TD><TD><X name="http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=163587&hubname=nhl">Recap | <X name="http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/scores/boxscore/?id=6978">Box</TD></TR><TR class=one align=middle><TD>7</TD><TD>Tuesday, April 24, 7pm et</TD><TD>NY Islanders @ Buffalo Sabres</TD><TD><X name="http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=163587&hubname=nhl">Recap | <X name="http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/scores/boxscore/?id=6978">Box</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ryan Miller
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysptblthbody1 align=right><TD class=yspdetailttl align=left width="24%" height=18></TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>GP</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>GS</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>MIN</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>W</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>L</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>T</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>OTL</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>EGA</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>GA</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>GAA</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>SA</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>SV</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>SV%</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>SO</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysprow2 align=right height=16><TD class=yspscores align=left>Last game vs NYI</TD><TD class=yspscores>1</TD><TD class=yspscores>1</TD><TD class=yspscores>59</TD><TD class=yspscores>1</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>4</TD><TD class=yspscores>4.06</TD><TD class=yspscores>29</TD><TD class=yspscores>25</TD><TD class=yspscores>.862</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 align=right height=16><TD class=yspscores align=left>Career vs NY Islanders</TD><TD class=yspscores>9</TD><TD class=yspscores>9</TD><TD class=yspscores>539</TD><TD class=yspscores>5</TD><TD class=yspscores>4</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>1</TD><TD class=yspscores>26</TD><TD class=yspscores>2.90</TD><TD class=yspscores>241</TD><TD class=yspscores>215</TD><TD class=yspscores>.892</TD><TD class=yspscores>1</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 align=right height=16><TD class=yspscores align=left>Home (this year)</TD><TD class=yspscores>35</TD><TD class=yspscores>34</TD><TD class=yspscores>2094</TD><TD class=yspscores>24</TD><TD class=yspscores>8</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>3</TD><TD class=yspscores>1</TD><TD class=yspscores>101</TD><TD class=yspscores>2.89</TD><TD class=yspscores>1024</TD><TD class=yspscores>923</TD><TD class=yspscores>.901</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Dubielewicz
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysptblthbody1 align=right><TD class=yspdetailttl align=left width="24%" height=18></TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>GP</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>GS</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>MIN</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>W</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>L</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>T</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>OTL</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>EGA</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>GA</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>GAA</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>SA</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>SV</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>SV%</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>SO</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysprow1 align=right height=16><TD class=yspscores align=left>Last game vs BUF</TD><TD class=yspscores>1</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>40</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>1</TD><TD class=yspscores>1.52</TD><TD class=yspscores>18</TD><TD class=yspscores>17</TD><TD class=yspscores>.944</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 align=right height=16><TD class=yspscores align=left>Career vs Buffalo</TD><TD class=yspscores>1</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>40</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>1</TD><TD class=yspscores>1.52</TD><TD class=yspscores>18</TD><TD class=yspscores>17</TD><TD class=yspscores>.944</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 align=right height=16><TD class=yspscores align=left>Away (this year)</TD><TD class=yspscores>4</TD><TD class=yspscores>2</TD><TD class=yspscores>181</TD><TD class=yspscores>2</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD class=yspscores>5</TD><TD class=yspscores>1.66</TD><TD class=yspscores>80</TD><TD class=yspscores>75</TD><TD class=yspscores>.938</TD><TD class=yspscores>0</TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datahl2>3/30/07</TD><TD class=datacell>BUF 6 - NYI 4</TD><TD class=datacell>BUF -260</TD><TD class=datacell>O 6.5</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datahl2>1/27/07</TD><TD class=datacell>NYI 5 - BUF 3</TD><TD class=datacell>NYI 148</TD><TD class=datacell>O 6.5</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datahl2>1/1/07</TD><TD class=datacell>BUF 3 - NYI 1</TD><TD class=datacell>BUF -241</TD><TD class=datacell>U 6.5</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datahl2>10/26/06</TD><TD class=datacell>NYI 0 - BUF 3</TD><TD class=datacell>BUF -210</TD><TD class=datacell>U 6.5</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

santacapper - a life-long isles fan here. do you give the isles any chance for an upset here? nobody is even giving them a chance to win 2 games, let alone the series! people forget, before the Simon debacle & DP's injury, the Isles were moving up the standings & had their sites on tampa, pitt & atlanta at one point. Then simon pulled is idiotic move & in the next game, up 2-0 in montreal, dp goes down. they lost that game 5-3 & 5 of there next 6 (or something like that). I too would be surprised if they won, but in the nhl playoffs, one never knows. what do you think of their chances to shock buffalo?

Lute - in my opinion, no. but having said that I dont think its going to be a 4 game sweep. Isles are in my opinion one of, if not the best, 5 on 5 team in the league right now. Obviously goaltending is a concern, but had anybody heard of Cam Ward prior to the start of the playoffs last year? Did people think Edmonton would beat Detroit? stranger things have happened. Sabres are a dangerous team, especially getting Afinigenov back. They have alot of weapons but over 7 games stuff can happen to give one team momentum that cant be stopped. Nassau is a different place for the playoffs. Whats that bar across from the arena in the hotel? that place is nuts too.

The bar is Champion, located in the Long Island Marriot. My bro & I have been season ticket holders through think & thin (unfortunately starting in the late 80's, not early 80's)...
The Coliseum needs to be blown up, we always say that. But for, the playoffs it has that old barnhouse feel which really pumps up the players. I am hoping a good long series will convince Smith to consider resigning. That place will be live Mon & Wed...hoping for a miracle run. The line at my sports book jumped from +425 to +505 for the series in the last 3 hours. as I said above, I have seen nobody give them more than 1 game.

I dont think they can match Buffalo's fire power but Ill sure be cheering for them, just for Nolan's sake.

I hear you catfood - I just hope Dubie stays hot & they get to game 4 with 1 or 2 W's. I have a 2 week old infant at home, so game 4 is the first game I can go to...if it is 2-1 either way, that game will be insane.

btw - is there anything better than hockey playoffs? I threw up in my mouth after Madden's second goal Sunday - I left Easter & walked around the block listening to OT /shootout while smoking numerous butts & missing easter dinner...good times!

Ha, same here lute. was at my mother in law for easter, and nagged them to turn the game on. I was the only hockey fan in the house, no one to share my stress level with lol

The bar is Champion, located in the Long Island Marriot. My bro & I have been season ticket holders through think & thin (unfortunately starting in the late 80's, not early 80's)...

Thats what it is... I was there in January for a trade show at the Coliseum for LI Firefighters, we stayed at the Marriot and went to the Sabres game that Saturday. beat them then, hopefully they can do it again.

Sat behind some funny season ticket holders at the game. Our usher was hilarious
I threw up in my mouth after Madden's second goal Sunday

Opposites end of the spectrum, lol. Was jumping up and down and freaking out. Then Devile forgot Fubie is the poke check king.

Then Devile forgot Fubie is the poke check king.[/quote said:
Everyone but their first shooter did (forgot who it was that made Dubie look so bad)! Cat food, I was at my inlaws as well &, get this, they don't have cable! I watched the 1st 2 periods at home & then went to dinner. My bro called me, said they were up 2-0 with 5 minutes left. I sat in my car listening & as I started to raise my hands in excitement, they said "GOAL". I mean - I walked in the house & saw my wife, she saw the look on my face & said "sorry babe"...I told her what happened & she asked "then what the hell are you doing in here?" So I grabbed my walkman & smokes, took a quick batty, & walked around the block. When they won, I screamed so loud that every dog on the block started barking. The outcome was, my wife & I were able to enjoy the end of Easter, my in-laws think I am a crack-head freak, & we are in the big dance - looking to shock the world!!! get up isles, get the f-up! Sorry - got a bit too excited there...

I made my family make the dinner on Good Friday for that reason... no way was I leaving my TV, lol.

Premonitions?

Love it Santa...I am hoping for another series like Toronto/Isles a few years ago. That series, although ultimately painful, is one for the ages. Fing Tucker - still pisses the sh!t out of me. Remembering that series made Sunday that much sweeter, what a tease! +525 Santa...has to be some value there?

That was a fantastic series, Domi going over the box to get at the fan, Tucker vs Peca etc etc. Better for me, lol. But one of the better ones in recent memory.

There always in value of a dog that size. I will say that Im rooting for the Isles, even though they eliminated the Leafs and that burns but if there is one person I dislike more than Lindy I havent found him yet.

penalty shot by bates, roberts flying all over the ice, icluding right through an isle's (forgot who) back, home team winning all games & that game 7 was a classic...i can still hear Yashin's late 3rd period shot clanging off the cross bar...
Insane series - not sure the new NHL will have series like those anymore, but I hope they do.

- Buffalo ranked 17th in the league on the power play, with a 17.4% success rate. The New York Islanders ranked 12th at 18.1%.

- Buffalo ranked 20th in the league in penalty killing, with a 81.4% success rate. The Islanders ranked 12th at 83.8%.

- Toni Lydman (138), Dainius Zubrus (113) and Paul Gaustad (105) are the Sabres' leading hitters. Zubrus' totals include games with the Capitals.

- Sean Hill (252), Trent Hunter (246) and Brendan Witt (231) are the Islanders' leading hitters.

- Chris Drury is the Sabres' top face-off man -- 58.8%.

- Mike Sillinger is the Islanders' top face-off man -- 58.8%.

- Buffalo's Thomas Vanek led the league with a plus-47.

- Islanders defencemen Sean Hill and Brendan Witt ranked second and third in the league with 55 and 53 minor penalites, respectively.

- Maxim Afinogenov, Chris Drury and Jason Pominville led the Sabres with five points in four games against the Islanders this year.

- Arron Asham led the Islanders with four points in four games against the Sabres this year.

- Buffalo's leaders in power play ice time (per game):
Daniel Briere 4:45
Dainius Zubrus 4:36
Chris Drury 4:25
Maxim Afinogenov 3:$5
Thomas Vanek 3:31
Brian Campbell 3:30
* Zubrus' totals include games with the Capitals.

- New York's leaders in power play ice time (per game):
Tom Poti 4:38
Ryan Smyth 4:34
Marc-Andre Bergeron 4:19
Jason Blake 3:52
Miroslav Satan 3:46
Alexei Yashin 3:33
* Smyth and Bergeron's totals include games with the Oilers.

- Buffalo's leaders in penalty killing ice time (per game):
Henrik Tallinder 4:00
Toni Lydman 3:36
Teppo Numminen 3:28
Dmitri Kalinin 3:18
Chris Drury 2:56
Jochen Hecht 2:44

- New York's leaders in penalty killing ice time (per game):
Brendan Witt 4:47
Tom Poti 4:36
Sean Hill 3:32
Mike Sillinger 3:28
Richard Park 3:10
Shawn Bates 3:10

good stuff SC...can't wait for tomorrow. On a side not, nice job by the NHL to schedule all New York area teams on the same day. Tomorrow at *:05, all 3 will be playing. Nothing like trying to promote the game inthe largest media market world-wide...are the people running the NHL on crack or just retarded?

The Islanders win a big one. Dipietro was indeed the difference. I hadnt really seen him play too much before, he is a good stick handler. This is gonna be a great series.

The Islanders win a big one. Dipietro was indeed the difference. I hadnt really seen him play too much before, he is a good stick handler. This is gonna be a great series.

What a game! DP was awesome...the coliseum will be rocking Monday/Wed.
Everybody now - "DP DP DP DP DP DP DP DP DP DP DP DP DP"

Back