• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

USC and UCLA to the B1G?

it feels very weird and strange for two west schools to be joining a conf concentrated with mostly midwest schools, but the fact remains that 98% of us complaining about it, will still be glued to the TV every saturday this fall, and next fall, and the fall after that...........

they own us, because the product on the field is just that captivating.

i admit it, i am one of college football's bitches, and there are hundreds of millions of us around the world, most importantly, our brave servicewomen and servicemen serving abroad who are hopefully able to get a signal wherever they are around the world, and can enjoy the fall saturday festivities.

Too bad people in LA don't care about college sports. Good thing the price increases are so small that most people won't know the difference but few if any would pay extra to see USC or UCLA. Reminds me of the Big Ten thinking that Rutgers was going to make the conference stronger by adding the biggest market when New Yorkers don't care at all about college sports and even less about Rutgers.

Too bad people in LA don't care about college sports. Good thing the price increases are so small that most people won't know the difference but few if any would pay extra to see USC or UCLA. Reminds me of the Big Ten thinking that Rutgers was going to make the conference stronger by adding the biggest market when New Yorkers don't care at all about college sports and even less about Rutgers.
Eh USC football is pretty big. Most of the 2000s it was Lakers, USC, Dodgers in that order and with Riley there now they'll compete with the Lakers and Dodgers. Comparing USC and UCLA to Rutgers is simply not correct.

They'll have to now.

Might not be the B16 but it's inevitable at this point or they'll get left out of consideration for playoff with 2 mega conferences.

2 ply?
Notre Dame does not need to join a conference.

And if someone sends me a roll of two-ply yes, if not it'll be a Scott's single ply - but I'm not worried about it either way

And if someone sends me a roll of two-ply yes, if not it'll be a Scott's single ply - but I'm not worried about it either way
They will have to unfortunately.

I don't care for them in the B16 tbh.

outside of football, all other sports they compete it, they do so in the ACC.

i have always maintained that they should remain Independent and will never join a conf (save for the Covid year)
but if there is anything the current landscape is teaching us, it's that money talks.

if a conf can offer more TV share than ND gets from the Peacock, then ND will join today. TODAY.

In theory once the super conferences kick the NCAA to the curb Notre Dame could just absolutely destroy what's left of those teams that couldn't latch on.

outside of football, all other sports they compete it, they do so in the ACC.

i have always maintained that they should remain Independent and will never join a conf (save for the Covid year)
but if there is anything the current landscape is teaching us, it's that money talks.

if a conf can offer more TV share than ND gets from the Peacock, then ND will join today. TODAY.
Dude every game they play is on national TV. They don't need to join a conference and never will. They are the biggest draw in college football and can play whoever they want whenever. Nobody except scared programs like Bama or Texas are turning down a game against them

Dude every game they play is on national TV. They don't need to join a conference and never will. They are the biggest draw in college football and can play whoever they want whenever. Nobody except scared programs like Bama or Texas are turning down a game against them
They need a conference soon or they won't have to worry about who will or won't play them

I don't think you're reading the situation correctly

They need a conference soon or they won't have to worry about who will or won't play them

I don't think you're reading the situation correctly
People have been saying this since before I was born. It's a tired and worn out argument. They are not joining a conference

People have been saying this since before I was born. It's a tired and worn out argument. They are not joining a conference
Ummm, yeah. I'd just quit following the sport then.

People were saying players should get paid before you were born too.

Leaving the NCAA is going to happen for most teams, it's just going to happen sooner than I thought. And good luck if you aren't in a conference. Every team and every game is televised, that part of the tv contract should be what wears you out, especially if you're a fan of them.

Ummm, yeah. I'd just quit following the sport then.

People were saying players should get paid before you were born too.

Leaving the NCAA is going to happen for most teams, it's just going to happen sooner than I thought. And good luck if you aren't in a conference. Every team and every game is televised, that part of the tv contract should be what wears you out, especially if you're a fan of them.
Go take a nap.

Notre Dame games are accessible to anyone with a TV since they're on broadcast and not cable/satellite TV

Go take a nap.

Notre Dame games are accessible to anyone with a TV since they're on broadcast and not cable/satellite TV
Lol you're off your rocker at this point

They're joining a conference, you don't have to like it young fella

The domino effect will be so fascinating. Can easily see FSU and Clemson go to the SEC, Duke and UNC to the Big 10...then what of the ACC? UVA obviously has Big 10 credentials. Seems like the ACC will be the low hanging fruit to get eaten up at this point.

my buddy has a Washington Redskins mascot tattoo on his calf. I told him 10 years ago, the name would eventually change, and he would need to update the tat or remove it, if he wanted to stay "current".

he kept saying "it will never happen".

then it happened.

same thing with "notre dame will never join a conference".

always avoid always and never say never.

LOL

Just made a few calls,

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u5.jpg

And my sources say Notre Dame is joining the Big East as the only football team so that they're "in a conference" but can still play whoever isn't scared to play them

my buddy has a Washington Redskins mascot tattoo on his calf. I told him 10 years ago, the name would eventually change, and he would need to update the tat or remove it, if he wanted to stay "current".

he kept saying "it will never happen".

then it happened.

same thing with "notre dame will never join a conference".

always avoid always and never say never.

LOL
It's hard to avoid saying absolutes but worth the effort to try

Eh USC football is pretty big. Most of the 2000s it was Lakers, USC, Dodgers in that order and with Riley there now they'll compete with the Lakers and Dodgers. Comparing USC and UCLA to Rutgers is simply not correct.
USC football is no different than Miami. They are or at least were national brands with most of the country either loving or hating them but I don't believe either place is a college football hotbed like Tuscaloosa, Ann Arbor, or Tallahassee for example are.

USC football is no different than Miami. They are or at least were national brands with most of the country either loving or hating them but I don't believe either place is a college football hotbed like Tuscaloosa, Ann Arbor, or Tallahassee for example are.
I'm not sure how you can remotely compare the two lol

But not here to change your mind. They are night and day.

me too, but we don't matter.

we will be replaced by new fans.

for every fan who is like you and me, there are dozens who will be attracted to this, especially young people who are not married to the tradition, pomp, circumstance.

Respectfully disagree.

Young people aren't watching live sports. They're fucking around on their phones 24/7 and don't have the attention span to sit through a 4+ hour game on a Saturday night.

And college football still isn't a nationally viewed sport like the NFL or NBA. This is still, in a way, a niche sport.

Me and you still matter.

And people with money still need to fill stadium seats. Not just for regular season games but for the 50 different playoff games we have coming in the future.

Attendance is trending downwards. Student sections clear out early. This isn't heading in a good direction.

Respectfully disagree.

Young people aren't watching live sports. They're fucking around on their phones 24/7 and don't have the attention span to sit through a 4+ hour game on a Saturday night.

And college football still isn't a nationally viewed sport like the NFL or NBA. This is still, in a way, a niche sport.

Me and you still matter.

And people with money still need to fill stadium seats. Not just for regular season games but for the 50 different playoff games we have coming in the future.

Attendance is trending downwards. Student sections clear out early. This isn't heading in a good direction.
NBA ratings are far lower than college football

Not really that close

Their new tv deal is going to be massive

Not really that close

I wasn't trying to draw a direct ratings comparison but rather that the NBA draws from big market cities across the US, unlike cfb.

I'm also going to take a guess and say that the NBA is more popular with the younger demographic. Who I don't see flocking to cfb anytime soon.

Furthermore, comparing ratings from past seasons isn't relevant because we're trying to forecast how the upcoming changes to cfb will affect ratings and popularity down the line.

Strip cfb of the pomp and circumstance, regional traditions and rivalries, packed stadiums, the unique nature of the postseason...add in an out of control NIL and transfer portal and an NFL style playoff system...and you may as well just watch the NFL.

CFB has always been about the deeply rooted connection that alumni and the local communities have to the universities. Alienate that portion of the viewership and the ship is gonna sink.

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to draw a direct ratings comparison but rather that the NBA draws from big market cities across the US, unlike cfb.

I'm also going to take a guess and say that the NBA is more popular with the younger demographic. Who I don't see flocking to cfb anytime soon.

Furthermore, comparing ratings from past season isn't all relevant because we're trying to forecast how the upcoming changes to cfb will affect ratings and popularity down the line.

Strip cfb of the pomp and circumstance, regional traditions and rivalries, packed stadiums, the unique nature of the postseason...add in and out of control NIL and portal system and an NFL style playoff system...and you may as well just watch the NFL.

CFB has always been about the deeply rooted connection that alumni and the local communities have to the universities. Alienate that portion of the viewership and the ship is gonna sink.
Yep, same with CBB I'm guessing

EDIT - FWIW UCLA and USC fans are pissed about this move

I haven’t had time to read through this thread yet but here’s what it has come down to for me because there’s no stopping whats coming.
Just give me my college football. I don’t care about who’s in what conference or where they’re playing. Give me some form of MAC and Sun Belt football on Tuesday and Wednesday nights in November in bad weather and Im good.
Im not sure how far money is going to spin sports sideways, just make sure we have games.

Not really that close

NBA viewership ratings are huge AROUND the WORLD

BLM Haters leaving did not affect the league one iota.

money making MACHINE

why do people love to take shots the NBA LOL

let's talk about BORING BASEBALL
or BORING GOLF
or BORING AUTO RACING
or the incredible NHL (amazing sport) but HORRIBLE Ratings

let's stop w/ your shots against the woke NBA and woke NFL

those two leagues are absolutely dominating ratings year after year.

go look at the NFL reg season ratings as well as the playoffs. (only 17 reg seaon games and 1 month of playoffs so it is can't miss stuff)

NBA has 82 regular season games but still dominates hockey ratings reg season as well as baseball.

NBA playoff ratings this year for the period running 4/15 start date through about 6/15? OFF THE FREAKING CHARTS.

go look it up.

stop with your veiled but clear shots at the Woke Leagues.

let's get back to the topic at hand --- College Football will continue to thrive despite these upcoming changes that most of us here seem to dislike.

Thought that bill only added to the party

I don't have a clue which dead prez is on that puppy
I could go look cuz I have many. My parents thought saving $2 bills in the 50's would be profitable. No.
Back to our regularly scheduled fkery of another sport.

I could go look cuz I have many. My parents thought saving $2 bills in the 50's would be profitable. No.
Back to our regularly scheduled fkery of another sport.
Pretty sure I have some in storage aka mom's basement lol and some silver certificates too

Collecting random shit is probably a sneaky hobby around here

Collecting (X) today compared to collecting (Y) in your youth could probably be a discussion of its own. I don't care about $$$, I like personal value with ticket stubs, cards, whatever. The truly valuable stuff for me reminds me of a moment, not a corny opportunity to make a couple bucks.

what will be the next domino(es) to fall ??
Well, they said no to Oregon and Washington.

Anything is possible right now... Next domino could be smaller conferences getting aligned (I'm including b12 and p12 in this).

Back