• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Top 30 Wide Receiver units...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
This is going to be the third in a series of 11 units where I project my Top-30 units at each position going into the start of fall camp.

Remember, this is not just the best player, but the best units.

Here's my Top 30 at WR.. Coming fast and furious now that I'm caught up with everything and am done with all lists.

1. Southern Cal
2. Washington State
3. Texas Tech
4. Miami (Florida)
5. Florida
6. Notre Dame
7. Hawaii
8. Florida State
9. Penn State
10. Arizona State
11. Ohio State
12. Michigan State
13. Iowa State
14. Louisiana State
15. Louisville
16. Tennessee
17. Nebraska
18. Michigan
19. Brigham Young
20. Texas
21. Houston
22. Purdue
23. South Carolina
24. UTEP
25. Fresno State
26. Auburn
27. Virginia Tech
28. Oregon
29. South Florida
30. Utah

Thoughts, comments, etc., all welcome and appreciated...

:shake:

I don't fault you for putting Texas at #20 because unless you follow the team closely you wouldn't know how good the top 4 WRs are for them. By the end of the year they will prove to be one of the best. Sweed and Pittman are a given but Quan Cosby (one of the greatest HS players ever in Texas) was gone on a 4 year hiatus to the MLB came on at the end of the year after shaking off some rust and Jordan Shipley is back after two years of injuries. Shipley the former Gatorade National POY is the second most prolific WR in the history of HS football in the country. Ever.

They will be nasty, nasty at WR if they stay healthy.

Nevada i can vouch should have a top 30 unit considering they return All-WAC first team Caleb Spencer plus solid depth of unproven talent

SHSUHorn said:
I don't fault you for putting Texas at #20 because unless you follow the team closely you wouldn't know how good the top 4 WRs are for them. By the end of the year they will prove to be one of the best. Sweed and Pittman are a given but Quan Cosby (one of the greatest HS players ever in Texas) was gone on a 4 year hiatus to the MLB came on at the end of the year after shaking off some rust and Jordan Shipley is back after two years of injuries. Shipley the former Gatorade National POY is the second most prolific WR in the history of HS football in the country. Ever.

They will be nasty, nasty at WR if they stay healthy.

As you know Horn, Shipley has looked great in the spring game and practice so far.

I think the Horn receivers suffer in the rankings due to the uncertainty at QB. A little unfair with McCoy throwing consistent balls and Snead showing a little inconsistency--coupled with raw athletic talent. A lot of observers have likened his throws to Farve in terms of arm strength and velocity.

Think I've praised the Horns enough here.

Ok i just wanted to make sure you had SC #1.. If you didnt you would have lost all credibility. This lineup is fucking scary. They are all giants ( except smith ) and are all huge 5 star recruits ( which i know doesnt always pan out) but with SC it has.. I havent seen a lineup with this much potential since the Arizona Cardinals..

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]

Receivers

[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]This group will keep the NFL stocked for years to come. The entire corps is full of big, fast, talented receivers who can do it all highlighted by the best returning receiver in America, Dwayne Jarrett, and the speedy Steve Smith, who's also All-America caliber. Patrick Turner and Chris McFoy would provide excellent depth if it was just the two of them, but top recruit Vidal Hazelton and junior Whitney Lewis help to make the reserves something truly special. There's a good rotation at tight end between three good pass catchers.The key to the unit: Finding enough passes to keep everyone happy and establishing a go-to tight end.[/SIZE][/FONT]​
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]
Receiver Rating: 10 Projected Starters
- Dwayne Jarrett, Jr. - 91 catches, 1,274 yds, 14 ypc, 16 TD
Jarrett spent his freshman season being compared to Mike Williams, and then had scouts thinking he's even better than the current Detroit Lion after a brilliant sophomore season showing off hands, the ability to make the acrobatic grab, and consistency. He had the full trust of Matt Leinart to be the go-to, crunch time receiver coming through with big play after big play leading the team with 31 more catches than the number two receiver, Steve Smith. He has caught passes for 75 yards or more in 15 of the 26 games he has played in with a whopping 29 touchdowns in two years.​

- Steve Smith, Sr. - 60 catches, 957 yds, 15.9 ypc, 5 TD
Smith could've gone pro this year but returned to join Dwayne Jarrett to form the nation's best 1-2 receiving tandem. He showed no problems from the broken leg that knocked him out in 2004 with the same speed and quickness he had before the injury. He's a decent sized target at 6-0 and 195 pounds and has some of the best wheels on the team.​

- Tight end Fred Davis, Jr. - 13 catches, 145 yds, 11.2 ypc, 2 TD
Davis might not be as talented as Domonique Byrd was, but he has a little bit of starting experience and can be a dangerous receiver. Recruited as a wide receiver, David bulked up to 245 pounds but still has the same hands and route running ability of a smaller player.​

Top Backups
- Chris McFoy, Sr. - 17 catches, 172 yds, 10.1 ypc
While it's not quite right to call McFoy a possession receiver, he's used as a reliable midrange target with 40 career catches for 467 yards. He's a great athlete who isn't afraid to go across the middle, but he's still looking for his first touchdown.
- Patrick Turner, Soph. - 12 catches, 170 yds, 14.2 ypc, 2 TD
The sky's the limit for the ultra-talented sophomore who has all the makings of the next superstar Trojan receiver. He's 6-5 and 220 pounds with good deep speed. He missed the last two games of the year with a hamstring problem but is expected to play a big role this season behind Dwayne Jarrett on the outside.
- Vidal Hazelton, Fr.
Was he worth the wait? The 6-2, 200-pound freshman was considered to be among the nation's best recruits, and USC got him after a fierce battle with Penn State, among others. He has superior deep speed and open field moves with enough talent to push for a starting spot right away.​
[/SIZE][/FONT]

I think you have Ohio St a little low..

ABCS: Fair enough on Ohio State. They are a little lower than most would like because (more than anything) they lost Santonio Holmes - I was a HUGE fan of that guy and think his loss will hurt them more than most expect. Ginn is a player and the others around him all have the goods as well... They could develop into something special but if Texas blankets Ginn, not sure what the other guys will do that early in the season. If they had Holmes, hands down best in America behind USC's professional guys.

Horn: You bring up good points about the guys who have been hurt and gone. Just want to see them stay healthy because I do know the talent is there. I need to see productivity.

Thanks RJ, good stuff...

jump is gonna hate me on this but Ginn is the most overrated WR in all of America. He does fine vs slow DBs (most of the Big 10) with his speed. 2 catches 7 yards vs Texas last year. Unless he makes a huge jump in his route running he'll have the same numbers vs Texas again now that he'll see more double teams.

Hell, it looks good to me, Rexy.
beerchug.gif

SHSUHorn said:
jump is gonna hate me on this but Ginn is the most overrated WR in all of America. He does fine vs slow DBs (most of the Big 10) with his speed. 2 catches 7 yards vs Texas last year. Unless he makes a huge jump in his route running he'll have the same numbers vs Texas again now that he'll see more double teams.

That's the key. Ginn had room to operate with Holmes as the #1 deep threat and #1 receiver. Ginn will definitely be the #1 receiver against Texas and the Horns will key on him. Think Reggie at the Rose Bowl. He'll get his yards but they won't count for much in the end.

So. Florida was the only one I raised an eyebrow at...maybe they have good receivers, but I can never tell 'cause they don't have a QB that can get them the damn ball...

I hear ya pags, just remember that I try my best to single out these units individually. They can't control the line or the QB or the running game. I just rate those receivers on how good THEY are at catching, route running, blocking, intangibles, mental toughness, etc., and do the best I can to establish a grade...

Well, Spencer, Flowers and Sammons all went over 100 in a game last year, and two of them are back. Need Pudewell to give them a good year and McCoy to emerge as a viable No. 3. Depth behind those three is questionable and none of the starters is a game-breaker. I gave them the same grade as Utah State, tied for fourth in the league behind Boise and the two I have in the top-30.

depth behind those three is actually VERY good, just inexperienced. Chris Wellington, Jack Darlington, Marko Mitchell, Virgil Green, and Art King are said to all be competitive and challenging for playing time. To me it's hard to leave them off the list, this might be othe only top 30 unit nevada has since they field 7 legit recievers including a super high end one in Caleb Spencer.

As far as pontential goes.. Ohio ST is stacked with guys who will one day be in the nfl. I know they have to prove it, but these guys are studs.

The Big Ten's best ... Quarterbacks: Ohio State Running backs: Ohio State Wide receivers: Ohio State Tight ends: Minnesota Offensive line: Ohio State Defensive line: Michigan Linebackers: Penn State Defensive backs: Michigan Kickers/punters: Wisconsin Special teams: Ohio State from yahoo

abcs--thelegend said:
The Big Ten's best ... Quarterbacks: Ohio State Running backs: Ohio State Wide receivers: Ohio State Tight ends: Minnesota Offensive line: Ohio State Defensive line: Michigan Linebackers: Penn State Defensive backs: Michigan Kickers/punters: Wisconsin Special teams: Ohio State from yahoo

That is obviously the best in the Big X, right?

OK...tOSU is tough to gauge at receiver...I'll start w/ Ginn...

Horn- It seems that you might have not watched OSU much after the Texas game...we came out the beginning of the year and couldn't find ways to get Teddy the ball...from the IU game through Mich and ND, Teddy improved a bunch..he's far from elite, but he's improving..w/ his talent, if he's an avg route runner w/ a good QB, he'll put up great number...most in C-bus wanted Teddy at CB, at least some, and honestly if he becomes a pro bowl caliber player on Sundays, it will be at CB..Chris Gamble's success after switching his jr year has many up here at least wanting to see it, esp w/ the youth at the position..thus far, Tresses won't bite, not even nibble..

Rex- I think you have tOSU right were they should be...they are solid at WR, but not elite...Gonzalez is a very good receiver w/ great speed and good hands, but he's not a gamebreaker either...5th year senior Roy Hall is a monster, 6'4 230 but has never lived up to his potential...so much that everyone wants to see him at TE ala Fred Davis since Frost's suspension..the young guys all have great potential...Albert Dukes, Brian Robiskie, and Brian Hartline all are breathing down Hall's neck and if he doesn't pick it up, he won't see much of the field...Hartline had over 100 yds in the spring game, and has gotten better every time he sees the field...

This is a position that needs to be addressed this recruiting class...if Taurian Washington is in fact ours, and Devon Torrence comes too, that's exactly what we need...

As far as doubling Ginn in Texas game, please do...but I think you'll have to move a man up in the box to stop our running attack w/ Pittman, Smith, and Wells....tOSU doesn't do your normal stuff scheme wise, and if u consistently double Ginn...Gonzalez will have a huge game and you'll see Maurice Wells in some strange sets, wich gamebreaking speed, and RB instincts....

The defensive game plan isn't going to be double Ginn, game over....cmon guys..

Ohio st will average 35 to 40 pts per game.. they will give up a ton as well but they def will score.

ReceiversSantonio Holmes left early for the NFL, but that wasn't a shock. It's also not a major surprise that Ted Ginn Jr. now appears ready to be a superstar number one target. Anthony Gonzalez can do a little of everything well and should thrive in the number two role. Big receivers like Roy Hall, Brain Hartline and Brian Robiskie will combine to form a good rotation. The tight end will be used more in the passing game this year with good, big receivers in Marcel Frost and Rory Nichol.The key to the unit: Ginn needs to adequately replace Holmes, and Gonzalez has to adequately replace Ginn. The big young backups have to come through early on.
Receiver Rating: 8.5
Projected Starters
[SIZE=-1]- Ted Ginn Jr., Jr. - 51 catches, 803 yds, 15.7 ypc, 4 TD, 12 carries, 83 yds, 6.9 ypc, 1 TD
What was wrong with Ted Ginn? That was the cry early last year when one of college football's top all-around players failed to make any top all-around plays. As it turned out, he just needed a little time to breakout, and then he showed off his skills tearing off some big punt returns and growing into a dangerous receiver finishing off with an eight-catch, 167-yard, one touchdown day against Notre Dame. The light has appeared to go on and he should be the All-America, number one target he was expected to blossom into last season.

-
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Anthony Gonzalez, Jr. - 28 catches, 373 yds, 13.3 ypc, 3 TD
The unnoticed big play target last year, Gonzalez goes from being a quick number three receiver to a potentially dangerous number two man. He isn't afraid to make the tough catch and has grown into a great route runner. While he's not known for his deep speed, he has the wheels to hit a few home runs.

- Tight end Rory Nicol, Soph.
Kept out last year with a leg problem, the 6-5, 260-pound sophomore will be back as a dangerous safety valve who'll create major mismatch problems. He's a little more of a blocker than Marcel Frost and almost as athletic a receiver.

Top Backups
- Roy Hall, Sr. - 16 catches, 134 yds, 8.4 ypc
A big, medium-range target, Hall had a nice first three games catching 11 passes, but then his production fell off the map. At 6-3 and 240 pounds, he has the size to create big mismatches will all the focus on Ted Ginn and Anthony Gonzalez.
- Brian Hartline, RFr.
Back from a leg injury, he's one of the X factors in the receiving corps. He's one of the team's fastest players and has big-time size at 6-3 and 180 pounds playing behind Anthony Gonzalez. He'll be the number one target two years from now.
- Brian Robiskie, Soph. - 1 catch, 13 yds
Potentially a strong possession receiver, the 6-3, 190-pound sophomore has nice speed playing behind Ted Ginn. He's a good route runner with decent upside.
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
- Tight end Marcel Frost, Jr. - 7 catches, 70 yds, 10 ypc
He was supposed to be a good go-to option, Frost has deceptive speed for a 6-5, 255-pound target with good hands, but he was suspended for the season for violating team rules.
[/SIZE]

smh - Royal is a 2-year starter and a tremendous raw talent. But he struggled with drops, fumbled a punt, and had four catches in the first four last year. King was a solid TE and I see a drop-off to Kinzer... Clowney also can fly but still didn't even average 3 catches per game - and he was their leader. Morgan is a solid backup and they'll be better, but by no means is this a Top-25 group in my mind. Thanks for the input...

Back