• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Playoff OT

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Imo, it sucks.

I say play another 15 mins, give them 3 timeouts and let's have some fun.

I don't think the college style works.

I'd rather not give the other team one possession after because they would know they have 4 downs to play with.

So, one full Q and so on.

If you worry about multiple OTs then institute no XPs, must go for two?

Anyways, interesting...

I think the need to match regular season and OT shouldn't even be an issue

NHL is closest example of a physical game and OT is completely different in the playoffs

At the very least, in the playoffs, you should get the chance to match, a coin toss decided the game tonight, shouldn't happen

I wouldnt mind college style but I would extend it back further. Start from your own 40 maybe? Make defense a bigger factor and you're not in auto field goal range

The one I really like is what the Ravens I think brought up at the league meetings a few years ago. Same rules as now but the coin toss isnt choosing kick or receive.

Team that wins the toss gets to choose where the ball starts, I.e own 20, opposing 40 etc. Or can defer to other team to choose that. Then the team that didnt choose where the ball starts, chooses offense or defense.

So for example tonight, KC wins toss, how far back would they have to choose it to ensure that they got to start on offense?

If KC said drive starts on a teams own 20, buffalo chooses the ball on their own 20 for sure

If KC says own 1, do they say send out mahomes? Maybe

Brings some strategy to it, coin toss winner still gets an advantage, but it's not as big

I've heard some interesting ones

One I liked, each team gets the ball at the 20, 1st and goal and can kick a FG, no XPs or 2s.

If still tied, each team starts at the 10 with 2 plays, no FGs or XP and continues til someone wins

Obviously this matchup tonight is different than many but OT was so anticlimactic.

Once KC won the toss, it was basically over.

Let's be real, it's impossible to compare sports when points per minute or possession vary so much between them all. Guess hockey and soccer could be as close as it gets but even then hockey far outpaces soccer with scoring

Even the difference between CFB and NFL is so tremendous, we almost expect teams to score a TD with the regular down and distance from the 25 in CFB most of the time but in the NFL that certainly isn't the case. These two are outliers

Imo, it sucks.

I'd rather not give the other team one possession after because they would know they have 4 downs to play with.

Anyways, interesting...

The problem you run into is you don’t want to start having multiple 15 min ot periods as you’ll risk guys getting hurt, but I do agree both teams should get a chance to possess the ball.

Biggest argument for me against the current system now, for the playoffs at the very least

No one would ever kick now would they? I remember 20 years ago if you were the ravens ya you probly play field position

But I cant think of any team that wouldnt receive if they won the toss

Biggest argument for me against the current system now, for the playoffs at the very least

No one would ever kick now would they? I remember 20 years ago if you were the ravens ya you probly play field position

But I cant think of any team that wouldnt receive if they won the toss
True

Back then totals were normally 37-41 or so and 44 was considered a very strong number

After 4 quarters of football, if it's still tied...playoffs or not

I have no desire to see a team run another 7 minute ball control drive. You had 4 qtrs to win with that game plan, no mas

At the very least, in the playoffs, you should get the chance to match, a coin toss decided the game tonight, shouldn't happen

I wouldnt mind college style but I would extend it back further. Start from your own 40 maybe? Make defense a bigger factor and you're not in auto field goal range

The one I really like is what the Ravens I think brought up at the league meetings a few years ago. Same rules as now but the coin toss isnt choosing kick or receive.

Team that wins the toss gets to choose where the ball starts, I.e own 20, opposing 40 etc. Or can defer to other team to choose that. Then the team that didnt choose where the ball starts, chooses offense or defense.

So for example tonight, KC wins toss, how far back would they have to choose it to ensure that they got to start on offense?

If KC said drive starts on a teams own 20, buffalo chooses the ball on their own 20 for sure

Brings some strategy to it, coin toss winner still gets an advantage, but it's not as big

Rain Man GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Play it out like a regular game, but guarantee each team gets the same number of possessions. First team to finish with more points after an equal number of possessions wins.

Team A gets the ball, Team B gets the ball. Most points wins.
Still tied? Keep playing, Team A gets the ball again, Team B gets the ball again. Most points wins. Just play the game like its a regular game though, no starting at the other teams 25 crap.

The team that wins the toss will probably choose to kick off now instead of receive so they can see what they'll need. An interesting twist.

It's the football version of a basketball pickup game's gotta win by 2.

Imagine getting the refs to explain this at the start of each ot. Some of them struggle to explain the current rules.

Like the full quarter idea. If you do some form of college rules. Last nights game would still be going. Neither team was stopping those offences

Quite honestly I’d be happy with almost anything but the plan they currently have in place. It’s a fucking joke
Yea I don’t have an answer but that wasn’t it.

Especially given the way the game is played now and how much the defense is at an advantage.

I think it fine the way it is: play some defense If you want to touch the ball. The worst thing they can do is drag it out longer and punish the winner the following week.

Don't know if this stat is posted above, but just heard it on Around the Horn.

With these new ot rules in place, the team that has won the coin toss is 10-1.

This time I'm happy, but even I can see the need for a change out of fairness.

Kid at the water cooler said - "if you don't want to lose in OT don't let them score".

I don't like that kid.

I tend to agree with him. Mostly cause I think you impacting the next week game if you force them to play another full 15 minutes. Either don’t let them score or Win in regulation! The 53% overall for team winning the toss doesn’t seem that great to me, gotta figure a great deal of those were the favored team anyways. If there a truly better way sure I’m all for it, I just don’t think the answer is dragging them out longer. I thought when all it took was a fg to win it was atrocious, needing the td I don’t hate. Defenses are certainly at a disadvantage these days but we see plenty of stops during a game, certainly holding a team to a fg shouldn’t be impossible!!!

Imo, it sucks.

Anyways, interesting...

Totally agree with you.

I tend to agree with him. Mostly cause I think you impacting the next week game if you force them to play another full 15 minutes. Either don’t let them score or Win in regulation! The 53% overall for team winning the toss doesn’t seem that great to me, gotta figure a great deal of those were the favored team anyways. If there a truly better way sure I’m all for it, I just don’t think the answer is dragging them out longer. I thought when all it took was a fg to win it was atrocious, needing the td I don’t hate. Defenses are certainly at a disadvantage these days but we see plenty of stops during a game, certainly holding a team to a fg shouldn’t be impossible!!!

The fact that there is such a disparity in the playoffs is the issue. You’d have to imagine that based on the teams in the playoffs usually having better QBs and offenses, so they’re scoring on that first drive more often than 2 teams may during the regular season.

The fact that there is such a disparity in the playoffs is the issue. You’d have to imagine that based on the teams in the playoffs usually having better QBs and offenses, so they’re scoring on that first drive more often than 2 teams may during the regular season.

I agree wit that also, I wasn’t really considering that at 1st. It just a tough problem to solve imo. I absolutely don’t think the answer is another whole 15 min, you basically burying both teams next week anyways if ya do that. The record of playoff teams the week following ot is pretty damning already.

I heard Peter king today and what he suggested was best solution I have heard., if 1st team scores a td and kicks xp then allow other team a chance w ball but force them to go for 2 if they score. I suppose long as it only 1 drive each for the offenses it wouldn’t be worst thing in the world. I just don’t want to see them get drug out longer to where it puts the winner at a big disadvantage the following week. I certainly understand why ppl want it changed.

The biggest magic trick will be coming up with a solution 2/3 the teams will agree upon!!

Last edited:
I agree wit that also. It just a tough problem to solve imo. I absolutely don’t think the answer is another whole 15 min, you basically burying both teams next week anyways if ya do that. The record of playoff teams the week following ot is pretty damning already.

I heard Peter king today and what he suggested was best solution I have heard., if 1st team scores a td and kicks xp then allow other team a chance w ball but force them to go for 2 if they score. I suppose long as it only 1 drive each for the offenses it wouldn’t be worst thing in the world. I just don’t want to see them get drug out longer to where it puts the winner at a big disadvantage the following week. I certainly understand why ppl want it changed.

The biggest magic trick will be coming up with a solution 2/3 the teams will agree upon!!

It doesn’t have to be another 15 minutes. If you take the stance that another full quarter isn’t the answer, then you focus on 2 things…either both teams get a chance to be on offense, or you figure out a way other than the coin toss to determine who gets the ball first (same rules as now, if you score a TD game is over).

Now you either just make it that both teams get the ball (forcing one team to go for 2 seems silly, if they both score a TD, it’ll only take a FG to win the game from there) and problem solved…

or you adopt the Ravens’ proposal from 2 years ago about picking spot on field to start and other team chooses offense or defense, or the FG kicking option to see who gets ball first.

There is no reason to make it super complicated. Once you agree on either both get the ball or different way to see who gets ball first the rest is easy. With one, it’s simple as both teams get the ball…with the other you are still using the current rules as to how the game ends, you’re simply replacing the coin toss.

It doesn’t have to be another 15 minutes. If you take the stance that another full quarter isn’t the answer, then you focus on 2 things…either both teams get a chance to be on offense, or you figure out a way other than the coin toss to determine who gets the ball first (same rules as now, if you score a TD game is over).

Now you either just make it that both teams get the ball (forcing one team to go for 2 seems silly, if they both score a TD, it’ll only take a FG to win the game from there) and problem solved…

or you adopt the Ravens’ proposal from 2 years ago about picking spot on field to start and other team chooses offense or defense, or the FG kicking option to see who gets ball first.

There is no reason to make it super complicated. Once you agree on either both get the ball or different way to see who gets ball first the rest is easy. With one, it’s simple as both teams get the ball…with the other you are still using the current rules as to how the game ends, you’re simply replacing the coin toss.

Fair, from the things I have heard it will be difficult to get the 2/3 vote it takes for any proposal to pass. Apparently there a lot of disagreement from owners on this. Half of them don’t know much bout what it feels like getting heart ripped out in playoffs, lol.

Fair, from the things I have heard it will be difficult to get the 2/3 vote it takes for any proposal to pass. Apparently there a lot of disagreement from owners on this. Half of them don’t know much bout what it feels like getting heart ripped out in playoffs, lol.

I mean they just shot it down 2 years ago, so it would seem unlikely to see a huge swell in support based on it still being the same group of 32 owners who didn’t see the merit 24 months ago.

If any proposal was to be approved, you’d have to imagine that it’s simply letting both teams possess the ball. The other ones concerning replacing the coin toss will seem too “radical” for the owners.

I mean they just shot it down 2 years ago, so it would seem unlikely to see a huge swell in support based on it still being the same group of 32 owners who didn’t see the merit 24 months ago.

I’m not sure some of them care all that much. It really doesn’t bother me a ton as is but I understand the frustration, the feeling the coin flip deciding it isn’t great. Guess I just look at it like if they tied after 60 min it basically a coin flip anyways. I’d be fine with any of your suggestions or king’s be ok with me, I just want them over quickly as possible, if that can be done adding a sense of fairness ok by me. If they leave it I won’t lose much sleep, I do think bills would have scored had they gotten ball also so if def a bummer for them. Same as it was for kc the year pats did it to them.

I’m not sure some of them care all that much. It really doesn’t bother me a ton as is but I understand the frustration, the feeling the coin flip deciding it isn’t great. Guess I just look at it like if they tied after 60 min it basically a coin flip anyways. I’d be fine with any of your suggestions or king’s be ok with me, I just want them over quickly as possible, if that can be done adding a sense of fairness ok by me. If they leave it I won’t lose much sleep, I do think bills would have scored had they gotten ball also so if def a bummer for them.

I just don’t think that getting the game over as quickly as possible is something to worry about, and definitely don’t think rules should be shaped around that concept.

We’re talking about the playoffs, and playing an extra 10 or 15 minutes, or however long it takes isn’t making a huge impact moving forward. Even if it is, it seems that then would be the time to use the “should have won it in regulation” argument as opposed to using it against the team that simply lost a coin toss.

With respect to the “should have won it in regulation” argument that gets made…one team would get to move on and play again, and maybe had to play more, may have fatigue issues the next week, whatever…the other lost the game (without getting a possession in OT) and is done for the year. Which one does that argument make more sense for?

I just don’t think that getting the game over as quickly as possible is something to worry about, and definitely don’t think rules should be shaped around that concept.

We’re talking about the playoffs, and playing an extra 10 or 15 minutes, or however long it takes isn’t making a huge impact moving forward. Even if it is, it seems that then would be the time to use the “should have won it in regulation” argument as opposed to using it against the team that simply lost a coin toss.

I dunno, I think it is incredibly impactful in that regard but I don’t have a hard stance over it all. I understand offense leaning rules and prob just as damning by this point in the game the defenses are often gassed but I still don’t like just writing it off as coin flip decided it cause that not entirely true, stop them from going 75-80 yards. I get that neither these teams would have stopped the other offense which makes it easier to say it was decided by the coin flip, if that the case then we give bills the ball, they score and have to go for 2 and ppl will say it just coming down to 2 point conversion. So why not just go all college and have them both try and convert 2 point attempts?

I’m not pretending to be right or wrong on this cause I think it a pretty grey area from every angle. Not sure everyone ever be happy regardless, I am pretty confident if we drag them out longer it will become a thing where we all fading the winner the following week. I get you saying that the time to say “shoulda won in regulation” but my issue is it giving their opponent a free pass and I don’t wanna see a lessor team advance cause the better one got beat up playing 10-15 extra min where statistically more guys get hurt. I’m morally flexible, so this subject is easy for me to see from any stance. Lol

Why would it be any more “fair” if both teams score a td then next fg wins? That just added a bunch of extra to get to the same conclusion that the team w ball 1st will win more often in playoffs. 1 thing I don’t want and why I don’t hate this anymore is cause they got rid of all things being equal and a fg deciding it, that was incredibly unfair cause it doesn’t take much to get into fg range. fuck putting it on the kickers who mostly don’t miss (the good ones anyways!).

Now I think I’d most like the spot on field with teams picking and current rules. If that makes ya feel better I’m great with that one!

Back