• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Opening Day Lines and Discussion Thread

Capping innings 4-7 will be the nugget we're looking for going forward and I know we're all looking for nuggets

We way further away than you think, if ever, from seeing good starters not going 5+. It would take massive changes to roster size, more rules.

Let's project a forward path

Starters usually throw a 60 pitch bully against batters 2 days after they start. That will likely translate into them becoming a 3 inning reliever on day 3. It only makes sense.

Let's project a forward path

Starters usually throw a 60 pitch bully against batters 2 days after they start. That will likely translate into them becoming a 3 inning reliever on day 3. It only makes sense.

It really doesn’t

Betting live on dogs in favorable spots vs a top tier starter with 80 pitches in the 4th and a highly taxed pen

Reactions: KJ
That idea wasn't really a brainstorm, I kinda figured everyone knew it was going that direction. Paying for a high end starter to go 7 is very outdated.

That idea wasn't really a brainstorm, I kinda figured everyone knew it was going that direction. Paying for a high end starter to go 7 is very outdated.

Thinking you can work a pen/game like in playoffs for a entire season isn’t realistic. Adding starters to the mix isn’t gonna make enough quality pitchers. We already see some god awful relievers come in games with starters going 5-6 innings. Not sure where these extra pitchers are coming from? Maybe this a very long term idea but it not happening anytime soon. I don’t think bullpen sessions are putting high stress pitches/innings on a guys arm either, to expect them to all start throwing 3 innings every couple days isn’t realistic. There no chance this happening in the short term outside the once a week pen game some teams use.

Just a reminder, and we're still a week away from games there, but some dimension changes at Comerica Park.

What happened to the good young pitches ya’ll had? I seriously think the lineup has more potential than the starting 5 rotation I see. Ain’t no good young pitchers in that mix! Injuries? I think Rodriguez could have a bounce back season but don’t see none the promising kids..

Silly to pull anyone grooving before 90-95 pitches though. That won’t change
It started last season, was incredible the early hooks

Whole point is we need to identify what will change and it starts at pitch count.

What happened to the good young pitches ya’ll had? I seriously think the lineup has more potential than the starting 5 rotation I see. Ain’t no good young pitchers in that mix! Injuries? I think Rodriguez could have a bounce back season but don’t see none the promising kids..
Injuries...

Casey Mize tommy john...

Skubal also on 60 day IL.

Ugh.

It started last season, was incredible the early hooks

Whole point is we need to identify what will change and it starts at pitch count.

100 Is still pretty much the standard, I saw it differ only w a few teams and certain young players who were all a sudden projected to pitch way more innings than they had planned or ever did before. Outside of that I havnt seen any evidence they gonna have starters throwing less pitches. Maybe the 1st/2nd starts depending how stretch they got in spring. By the end the month anyone pitching well isn’t getting yanked before or around 100. Those kids it was happening to last year are on schedule to throw 200ish innings this year, give or take.

100 Is still pretty much the standard, I saw it differ only w a few teams and certain young players who were all a sudden projected to pitch way more innings than they had planned or ever did before. Outside of that I havnt seen any evidence they gonna have starters throwing less pitches. Maybe the 1st/2nd starts depending how stretch they got in spring. By the end the month anyone pitching well isn’t getting yanked before or around 100. Those kids it was happening to last year are on schedule to throw 200ish innings this year, give or take.
I doubt we see 100 pitches 20 times this season an I believe what I hear

Not like any of us can guarantee anything tho

Only 8 pitchers pitched over 200 innings last year. This has been trending downward for awhile, we know this, along with complete games (only 35 last year). Hard to find how many times a pitcher leaguewide went more than 6 innings, but this too is trending downward.

19 pitchers averaged 6 innings per game or more per start last year. 3 averaged 6.1 and Alcantara only one who averaged 7.0

I doubt we see 100 pitches 20 times this season an I believe what I hear

Not like any of us can guarantee anything tho

Ok. Anyways I got stuff to be looking at. Wish there was a place I could bet this. Be easiest money ever, I guarantee that. Shit cash before june.

Of the out totals out so far for pitcher props 2marro every one is longer than 15 outs and this the 1st start of the year which will be shortest planned start for most guys.

19 pitchers averaged 6 innings per game or more per start last year. 3 averaged 6.1 and Alcantara only one who averaged 7.0

Nobody arguing pens have become more involved but it redic to think teams are now planning on their starters not going 5+ innings majority of the time. I’m incredibly confident I can continue playing 1st 5s and not have to worry bout any pitcher other than the starter. Except when I play a team total over of course, those starters getting ran early!! Lol

I don’t think I’ve ever bet a 7 inning line but tigers ov 1.5 runs for 7 innings -120 is really interesting to me, over a half run for 5 innings be great except it has lot of juice. What appealing about a 7 inning line is assured they will get another pitcher, maybe 2 after McClanahan and if he struggles on way out we be part of that also.

On that same note I love me some giants over a half run 1st 3 innings +110 vs Cole. I don’t think Cole ever been known as a fast starter, his 1st inning era for his career is over 4 and he will def give up a bomb here and there, almost a hr per start at yankee stadium last year. Sf lineup is fairly deep w lefties that could yank one over that short porch and we get everyone seeing him once and plus money just to scratch one across. I prefer this to needing 2 thru 5 innings, if Cole cruises thru the 1st 3imnings what the chances he gives up 2+ in 4th and 5th? Probably not great. So let’s just get one early and get out of dodge with a W!

On that same note I love me some giants over a half run 1st 3 innings +110 vs Cole. I don’t think Cole ever been known as a fast starter, his 1st inning era for his career is over 4 and he will def give up a bomb here and there, almost a hr per start at yankee stadium last year. Sf lineup is fairly deep w lefties that could yank one over that short porch and we get everyone seeing him once and plus money just to scratch one across. I prefer this to needing 2 thru 5 innings, if Cole cruises thru the 1st 3imnings what the chances he gives up 2+ in 4th and 5th? Probably not great. So let’s just get one early and get out of dodge with a W!
Exactly my thoughts as I was looking over Giants line up today.

O’s/Red Sox feels like a total coin flip to me, plus money on Baltimore seems as good as any.

ON Hunter Greene over 7.5 Ks vs Pirates @ +102.
He had 9 and 8 in his two starts vs Pirates last year. He also no hit Pit thru 7 last year in one of those games. Obviously he is erratic but he can smoke the AAAA Pirates. Also, took Keller over 3.5., Greene over 7.5 and Reds win in a single game parlay that Draft Kings bonus juiced to +338. Good weather in the Queen City today.

ON Hunter Greene over 7.5 Ks vs Pirates @ +102.
He had 9 and 8 in his two starts vs Pirates last year. He also no hit Pit thru 7 last year in one of those games. Obviously he is erratic but he can smoke the AAAA Pirates. Also, took Keller over 3.5., Greene over 7.5 and Reds win in a single game parlay that Draft Kings bonus juiced to +338. Good weather in the Queen City today.

I’m trying not to mess w many k props yet but I def thought bout greene, if I was gonna play any he def be on the list.

I don’t like hitter props but my guy Arozarena a junkie for the big stage, got himself going in the WBC so figure it might carry over to opening day. Reason I’m kinda cooled on tigers ml while I think Rodriguez has a solid season he hasn’t faired real well vs rays or in tampa, Arozarena has hit him and hits lefties in general. Over 1.5 bases +130 I think a decent bet, beware hitter props not usually my thing and it could be coming out to a empty stadium in tampa kills all his mojo!

No starter will qualify for wins and losses this year! Sounds legit
That was kinda the point of why wins is a stupid stat. You can certainly get losses w/o going 5 but why not a win. Imagine playing in Tampa and having that stat in your contract!

Not digging the changes to the MLB APP. When you click a game it defaults to the box score when you definitely want the batter pitcher matchup

Lol KJ has lost his mind thinking we’re going to see 120 pen games from each team. I bet a handful of pitchers throw double digit 100 pitch games.
Ha was more about making the point about needing 5 innings for a win, got a bit excessive with the pitch count.

That said I bet we'll see a bunch of 5/6 pitchers per team per game, it's simply trending that way.

Back