• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

NHL Off-season Thread

Malkin re-signed with Pens, 4 years at 6mil/year. Pens getting real old, real fast and if they lose Rodrigues, not sure this team will be very good after next year.
Kane re-signed with Oilers at the last minute. He played good for them last year, Oilers really have to go for it, you don't get guys like McDavid but once in a lifetime,

Things to look for:
Campbell to Oilers seems likely
Giroux to Sens. Don't love this for either the team nor the player, but whatever
Keumper to Caps seems about done
Copp to the Wings - reading 4-5 years at 5/mil per year. Not sure why the Rangers couldn't do something similar as that is a fair value deal
Rangers trying for Trochek. Not a huge fan, but you get a chance to pluck a center from a competitor whos good in faceoff zone and can play second line, could be good if money is right.
Still would rather have seen the Rangers try to move a few pieces to pickup a better asset.

Oh and hearing Brett Burns on the move. Great player, but damn didn't realize he's gonna be 38 and still going to need to pay him 8 mil/year at 40 years old. Not sure how well that's going to work out.

The Rangers could clear up so much cap space and help the team by moving Trouba who definitely has good value around the league. Yzerman can use him in Detroit and give us a first round pick in return. We will even throw in Goodrow a proven winner to help the Wings.

Lots of deals going down. Samsonov signed for 1.9 million that’s a pretty good deal for a decent goalie. Avs have re-signed bunch of players including Manson on 4 year deal. Obviously Avs gonna be real good again. Palat leaving the lightning another blow. Guadrau gonna end up in Philly will be hilarious.

I don’t understand. Copp and Trocheck deals are exact same per year. But rangers had to give 7 years and copp only got 5? Why would we take copp for 5 years I don’t get it. Of course I’m admittedly dumb.

Yea pretty sure he was “consulting” the Hawks from Naples, FL

Well he still lives in the Buffalo area as well, just like many, many ex-players and coaches of the Sabres/Bills. That’s what I meant by my comment. He spends half the year in Florida and half the year in Buffalo.

The list of players and coaches who still live in the area would probably be fun to put together and also probably surprise everyone.

TB just locked up Sergachev and Cernak on 8 year deals. Both are 24-25 so good deals but that’s a lot of loot on your defense when you add in Hedmans cost. Know they moved mcDonagh but he was better than both of these guys (albeit older).

lol. They were 2 wins away from the Stanley Cup last year. Overachieved for sure.
But, they have the reigning vezina trophy winner signed and just about to reach his prime.
They have the 2021 Norris Trophy winner and 4 starting defenseman all under 25 that are only going to get better. And another veteran who is just 28. And a pipeline of 3-4 NHL ready defenseman at 20-23 years old in the wings.
On offense they have a ppg #1 center, a 50 goal scoring winger and an MVP caliber winger on line 2
With NO changes and just attrition, the top 9 could be Laffy/Ziba/Kreider Panarin/Chytyl/Kakko Blais/Goodrow/Gauthier and they have two NHL ready guys, at least 1 will be on the squad next year in Cuylle and Othmann who is killing the OHL as a teen.
Every team in the NHL would love to be this pessimistic about next year and going forward. Keep listening to Brewers, he has a long track record of talking air and is one of the myriad of posters on this site I have on ignore.
Can they get back to the semi finals as is? probably not. I'd rate Carolina and possibly Florida ahead of them in terms of talent and depth in the east. They are certainly on par with TB right now which is a team that loses a lot of players each year due to cap and attrition.
I'm a realist, and sure a fan, but this team has plenty of talent to spare. I am sure they will reach out to get another center, in which case, you have Goodrow possibly leading the best 4th line in the NHL with say Blais and Cuylle (who is a Tom Wilson like player). This is akin to the great Isles fourth line from years past with Martin, Cluttberuck and Cizikas.
Team will be fine. Should be a relatively high seed in the playoffs, and from there, really anything can happen if you get a hot goalie and I kinda like #31

basically what I meant to say was why can't the Rangers run it back with minimal changes? Every single player with the exception of possibly Kreider is either getting better every year or in their prime right now. And Kreider just scored 52 goals ffs. Team is on the rise, no reason that they NEED to make major changes to contend again.
They are on the rise, igor pushed them forward by a few years.

The team around him isnt ready yet, their underlying numbers were not good last year

They beat a backup goalie in round 1 and round 2

If they run it back with what they have and Laf becomes a top line player, and say optimistically kakko becomes a 2nd liner, and Schneider becomes a legit top 4 guy, then yes they will improve, but the underlying numbers last year were not good

For all that talent up front in the regular season, they were 29th in corsi for, 29th in expected goals

On defense they were 17th in corsi against and 14th in expected goals against. They were in the negative for expected goals, one of the only playoff teams

I'd have them behind tampa, Toronto, florida, and carolina for sure

In the same group as Pittsburgh, islanders, washington, and if Bergeron is back Boston

Betting odds to win the west have them 6th in the east right now

Kuemper to caps

5x5.25

Great deal when compared to what Edmonton gave an unproven 31 year old in campbell

6.5 for Giroux for 3 years to ottawa

Hes slowed down a bit already, probly would have been better as a 2 year deal, but they are so young the cap wont be an issue yet, good veteran for all the young guys, will help Brady tkachuk as captain for sure

Brent Burns to the land of the pines
Sharks got a bag of pucks back and retained 33% of the salary

Hes not in his prime anymore, but its basically a 3 year 5m deal left

He will improve on what deangelo gave them on pp for sure

Mikheyev 4x4.75 to Canucks

He had 21 in 53 last season, hes got a ton of speed which they badly needed

Also made official signing kuzmenko out of KHL, he was best free agent from there this offseason. With podkolzin canucks have 3 russians now

Miller or Garland have to be in move in next few days
Can’t believe Miller hasn’t been moved yet.
If it wwsnt at draft, later today or tomorrow made most sense

Teams that push for and miss out on gaudreah, miller next best option

How my guys few signings looking?
Yzerman deserves benefit of doubt but chariot has bad underlying numbers

Copp depends on who they get, if it's the guy from 30 games with the rangers its a great deal, if hes the guy from years in Winnipeg, its overpayment for a 3rd line center

Perron haven't seen the money yet, but hes a good middle 6 forward who will help power play a lot

Figuring out Larkin is most important thing this month tho, he needs an extension or to be moved

Drury the idiot signs scrub defenseman Patrik Nemeth last offseason and today gives Arizona two second round picks to take him off the teams hands. If that is not a perfect example of a GM in over his head I don't know what is.

Vegas sends pacioretty to carolina for future considerations, which means nothing

They gave up what is now a young likely 1st line center in Nick Suzuki for him

This is to free up cap space to do something but how bad does that trade look right now

How much did Gaudreau hate Calgary to give up that much money and end up in Columbus.
There was a rumor it was a massive offer a few hours ago

This isnt even that, calgary offered him this much

I dont get it

Flames fans cant even say he wanted to play close to home in south jersey, he just wanted to leave haha

Lebrun and Friedman both saying flames offered 10.5 on an 8 year deal

So he gave up 15 million dollars of guaranteed money, minus whatever he would get on 1st year if his next deal

How my guys few signings looking?
Adding since we know numbers now

Kubalik at 2.5 is a good cheap signing, and for 2 years no risk

And perron for 2 years at 4.75 is a fair deal

To me, signing these 3 vet forwards is Yzerman saying to the young guys like seider and raymond, now it's time to start winning, low expectations etc. But no more planning to win the lottery.

I dont like the chariot signing, but you guys dont have to worry about cap issues for a few years so its not a huge issue, and he is a big physical guy, so pair him with seider and it could work well

Also shows Larkin that it's not a perpetual tank, which likely means hes more easy to resign

The base is there though to start building

Seider is gonna be a top pairing guy for 20 years, Edvinsson who you guys picked 6th last year had an incredible year in sweden for an 18 year old d man, like all time. Dono what plan I'd with him but he could come over and play top 4 minutes right away probably

You dont want young guys to just lose constantly at the start of their career, that's what fucked Edmonton when they had 4 1st overall picks a decade ago.

Looks like hometown boy got a nice contract from the Sens.
Yep, super happy for him

He made a fan in me for life with how he spoke up after that tragedy

35 goals last year in only 65 games too, and hes gonna get to play with either Giroux or debrincat this year, so sky's the limit

Ottawa has won the offseason title for sure, not a champion contender yet, but they could push for playoffs, and no matter what are gonna be a fun team to watch

Top 6 will be something like

Tkachuk stutzle giroux
Debrincat Norris batherson

All of those guys could be point per game players, outsize giroux all under 24 too

D still needs some help after chabot, but pieces are there

The money is starting to dry up so a guy like Kadri who was expecting a top contract just may have to settle for a one yr deal somewhere.

God damn the Pens just got even older, projected opening day roster, more than half over 30

Guentzel 28-Crosby 35-Rust 30
Zucker 30-Malkin 36-Rakell 29
McGinn 27-Carter 37-Kapanen 26
Poehling 23-Blueger 28-Archibald 30

Dumo 31-Letang 35
MP 26-Petry 34
Smith 22 -Rutta 32
x-Ruhwedel 32, Friedman 26

Was coming here to post this before I jump off the North Bend bridge.

This franchise treats us fans like mushrooms, keep us in the dark and feed us shit.

Really bummed out about this.

And he’s coming to Seattle?!?!?

Didn’t Seattle make “history” by having the first all POC broadcast team?

Is Edzo moving to Seattle? Doubt his family would want to live there even though the kids are all grown. This whole thing really really stinks.

The kid taking over for Pat couldn’t call games for a high school game much less the National. Chris Vosters is his name (I think).

Need to read up on this. If they lowballed him on the money it’s a slap in the face by the organization.

Back