• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

LIV Tour

Lol pretty heady stuff in here from some guys that just spent their Sunday night watching the NBA layup drill.

Like a food critic celebrating their latest article panning a new restaurant by going to McDonalds.
Sorry, it's a joke so far.

They better add some top 30 players this year, I'm talking multiple (4-5 min) for this to be something I'd even care to watch.

For you guys that enjoy it, fair enough.

Reactions: KJ
There are no “bad guys” on tour anymore. Just a bunch of generic milquetoast guys. As much as I don’t like them, Reed, Bryson, and Brooks made events more interesting. No DJ or Cam Smith is definitely a diminished product. I’m pretty ambivalent about LIV in general, but I really hope one of their guys wins a major this year so that we can start moving toward co-existing and getting ALL the best golfers in the world together at least 4-8 times a year

There are no “bad guys” on tour anymore. Just a bunch of generic milquetoast guys. As much as I don’t like them, Reed, Bryson, and Brooks made events more interesting. No DJ or Cam Smith is definitely a diminished product. I’m pretty ambivalent about LIV in general, but I really hope one of their guys wins a major this year so that we can start moving toward co-existing and getting ALL the best golfers in the world together at least 4-8 times a year
I didn't even consider Fatrick and Bryson as villains

They were just petulant idiots and rooting against them is something I don't miss. Phil was more the villain figure than either of those two for me. They were just an eye roll. Both of them.

Yep i have zero issue because of the subpoena, this isn't rory of last year just being militant of liv, subpoena on Christmas eve I'd tell anyone involved to fuck off

I meant to add this back when we were discussing the Rory/Reed “dispute,” but Rory once served his ex-agent with a subpoena/lawsuit AT Graeme McDowell’s wedding. Turn about is fair play in a way?

I will miss Cam. His putting stroke is so pure. If he tries at all he should dominate. I am curious to see how well received the first tournament does this weekend on the CW.

I will miss Cam. His putting stroke is so pure. If he tries at all he should dominate. I am curious to see how well received the first tournament does this weekend on the CW.
This one will at least be on during American daylight hours.

The first 3 are.

Then, you get Australia and Singapore. Those will be interesting.

LIV and the PGA will be competing at the same time this weekend. It will be interesting to see the difference in ratings…

LIV and the PGA will be competing at the same time this weekend. It will be interesting to see the difference in ratings…
Kind of a must win for LIV

The Honda classic field ain't great

Im and Horschel only players in too 20

Didnt realize how bad the honda classic got screwed being sandwiched with the WM and genesis last 2 weekends and Arnold palmer in 2 weeks

Was always gonna be a light field

Kind of a must win for LIV

The Honda classic field ain't great

Im and Horschel only players in too 20
Yeah, they better have good ratings vs this dumpster fire of a field.

Obviously they scheduled their first event for this particular week to have a chance.

A consistent day & time for the broadcast is probably a good idea if you're trying to build an audience. It's very frustrating to have a show you want to watch get moved around. If support builds they could air the live broadcast AND a tape delay in the prime weekend viewing period like it's done with international tennis, British Opens, Tour de France, Formula 1, etc.

If Pereira pars the final hole at Southern Hills LIV would have two reigning major champions.

I think it's pretty certain we'll see the tours both sending players to the Masters, US Open and British Open. Whether the PGA of America honors its current qualifications criteria is an open question. Currently the following LIV players would qualify for Rochester and the venerable Oak Hill CC (East) (I played it twice, a classic course):

Past winners - Mickleson, Koepka
Last 5 Masters winners - DJ, Reed
Last 5 US Open winners - DeChambeau
Last 5 Open winners - Cam
Top 15 and ties last year - Peirera, Ancer, Steele

Top 100 OWGR ranking specifically is only applied to recent Ryder Cup participants, but Niemann, Pieters, Gooch, Varner III, Kokrak, Burmeister, Na, Oosthuizen, Casey and Tringale are all Top 85 currently and it's not unusual for PGA of America to fill out the field with invitees that generally fit that criteria only. That's how Pieters and Pereira got in last year.

That would be nineteen of the 48 that have a case for inclusion. Bubba was invited last year as a fan favorite, and Matt Wolff got in based on PGA Championship points earned, whatever that is.

Who is being missed?

DJ, sure.

Niemann a bit for us hard core fans.

That's about it.

The last two weeks of the PGA and 3 of last 4 have been as good as it gets.

Sorry, but I totally disagree with this premise.

Missing absolutely no one. DJ is an old whatever he is - moves around worse than Tiger.

Cam Smith, maybe. But so many good young players make his loss forgettable.

I found the whole Brooks Bryson stuff unappealing.

When I started watching golf in 2020 I was disgusted by this Reed looking dude. What an awful turd of a human and a perfect face of LIV.

When I started watching golf in 2020 I was disgusted by this Reed looking dude. What an awful turd of a human and a perfect face of LIV.
He's terrible. And we've known it since his days at UGA and Augusta St. And that makes him interesting, especially when he was in the mix. If PReed was at the top of the leaderboard, I'd be pulling for pretty much anybody to beat him. And I think that is missing on Tour now. You think the typical pro golf fan, or even a lot of sickos like me, has any feelings that are different between Max Homa, Patrick Cantlay, Xander Schauffele, Morikawa, Scheffler, etc?

He's terrible. And we've known it since his days at UGA and Augusta St. And that makes him interesting, especially when he was in the mix. If PReed was at the top of the leaderboard, I'd be pulling for pretty much anybody to beat him. And I think that is missing on Tour now. You think the typical pro golf fan, or even a lot of sickos like me, has any feelings that are different between Max Homa, Patrick Cantlay, Xander Schauffele, Morikawa, Scheffler, etc?

I think Pat's a good guy but is not as likable as the rest of those guys you mentioned. Certainly isn't a villain by any sort!

But, yeah, I get it. Makes sense.

The allure of sports for me is watching an event without knowing the outcome (possibly having a wager on such event). But watching on tape delay has zero appeal whatsoever when it comes to golf. If a golf showing has close ups of shots and I can actually watch how a shot is attempted to be made, then I have interest because of my love for the game. But LIV seems to be about creating a party-like, laid back brand of golf. That type of environment I’ve interest in. The Phoenix Open Has this type of atmosphere and I’m not a fan. It’s tolerable for one hole at one particular event for me. But if the 16th at WM was the standard and what they’re trying to achieve and their target audience, then I won’t be spending my free time watching. This goes for the PGA or LIV tour… just my two cents

I think Pat's a good guy but is not as likable as the rest of those guys you mentioned. Certainly isn't a villain by any sort!

But, yeah, I get it. Makes sense.
I don't think you'll find many people who think he's a good guy. There have been rumors circulating around him forever. It's all alleged, but off the top of my head:

kicked off UGA team for stealing from teammates
multiple cheating accusations at UGA and Augusta St
completely shut his family out of his life and allowing his wife's family to basically run his career
multiple high profile rules infractions on PGA Tour
his comments pre and post Ryder Cup in France
his wife's twitter handle (useGolfFACTS)
suing everyone under the sun after he left for LIV

I think the PGA Tour messed up by trying to get the Majors, the OWGR, and the DP World Tour to follow their lead instead of letting each entity decide and have the issue resolve itself. I think the PGA Tour would have won out anyway as being the pre-eminent tour, but they've been acting like a crazy GF that just got dumped. Let the LIV grab some no-names and has beens looking for a payday. Let those guys play in the majors if they meet the qualifications. Let their play do the talking about whether they belong there or not. I doubt I'll ever watch a LIV event for more than a few minutes out of curiosity, but I still want to see a lot of those guys at the big boy events. Let's see if playing a more relaxed schedule and a different format really means you can no longer compete with the standard

The allure of sports for me is watching an event without knowing the outcome (possibly having a wager on such event). But watching on tape delay has zero appeal whatsoever when it comes to golf. If a golf showing has close ups of shots and I can actually watch how a shot is attempted to be made, then I have interest because of my love for the game. But LIV seems to be about creating a party-like, laid back brand of golf. That type of environment I’ve interest in. The Phoenix Open Has this type of atmosphere and I’m not a fan. It’s tolerable for one hole at one particular event for me. But if the 16th at WM was the standard and what they’re trying to achieve and their target audience, then I won’t be spending my free time watching. This goes for the PGA or LIV tour… just my two cents

I agree 100% with this. I actually hate when CBS goes randomly to a shot that you know took place mins prior. I can't even stream sports because of a 20 second delay, let alone a true tape delay!

I agree 100% with this. I actually hate when CBS goes randomly to a shot that you know took place mins prior. I can't even stream sports because of a 20 second delay, let alone a true tape delay
Totally agree with you. Showing the random pitch shot from some random guy who is 12 shots back on a Sunday has gotten very old. Having more golfers mic’d like they did with Homa awhile back I found very entertaining.

Thomas Pieters obviously rusty after missing that PGA event last week...

6 bogies in 7 holes.

Depth is an issue with this league, big time.

Two guys will crack 80 today. Several others will be high 70s.

Not good for a limited field.

Thomas Pieters obviously rusty after missing that PGA event last week...

6 bogies in 7 holes.

Depth is an issue with this league, big time.

Two guys will crack 80 today. Several others will be high 70s.

Not good for a limited field.
Wait this is happening now? Am I going to win my Cam Smith bet?

Guess I can’t even catch it tape delayed after Charmed ends

Wait this is happening now? Am I going to win my Cam Smith bet?

Guess I can’t even catch it tape delayed after Charmed ends
LIV golf actually came up in a conversation with the wife the other night.

We were heading to dinner and had 80s on 8 playing on Sirius.

The 1984 song "How soon is now" pops on.

So, the wife is like "wasn't this the theme song to charmed?".

I played dumb like I've never looked at those hotties. But I agreed.

This turned to me asking if that was on CW... Which was a great Segway to LIV golf. That conversation lasted a few seconds before she got bored.

Fwiw, she watched 4 episodes of Full Swing last night.

LIV golf actually came up in a conversation with the wife the other night.

We were heading to dinner and had 80s on 8 playing on Sirius.

The 1984 song "How soon is now" pops on.

So, the wife is like "wasn't this the theme song to charmed?".

I played dumb like I've never looked at those hotties. But I agreed.

This turned to me asking if that was on CW... Which was a great Segway to LIV golf. That conversation lasted a few seconds before she got bored.

Fwiw, she watched 4 episodes of Full Swing last night.
Amazing. I love it

Watching Fox carry the Saudi Cup all morning today begs the question of why they passed on LIV. They have no golf programming since they opted out of the USGA contract and they already have a connection with Norman (maybe that's the reason? They did let him go after all). Obviously, they don't shy away from Saudi sponsored events. With programming content so important these days you'd think they would've pursued it.

CW showing LIV here today sandwiched between some Jack Hannah shows and King of Queens

I had it live on CW and completely forgot about it

Best part is when I go to the menu on the cable box for sports, it lists everything, even motocross....it didn't list this

Whole thing is so bizarre, guess I hope if you bet on it you can make money but what a shit show

Faldo is so spot on

They lost villain status when they simply became the losers no one wants to have an opinion about. The petulant children don't make the game better, they're just attention starved whores and making that kind of Saudi money will never resonate with actual golf nuts.

Tough start for them.

No drama on Sunday.

Leaderboard full of guys that aren't exactly entertaining.

Even worse, 11 of the 48 guys NEVER broke par this week in a round. THIRTY-THREE rounds of golf from nearly 25% of your field, not an under par round from them.

Not good.

------------------

So, two more events before Augusta (including the week before). Shall be interesting to see if a few of these guys can get the rust off by then. That's what I'll be looking at for potential betting come Masters Week.

Back