• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Kent State vs. Northern Illinois Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Kent State vs. Northern Illinois MAC Football Championship Game Picks and Predictions

Kent State Golden Flashes vs. Northern Illinois Huskies
Saturday, December 4, 2021 at Noon ET (ESPN) at Ford Field in Detroit, Michigan

Odds

Saturday's MAC Football Championship Game is a rematch of a Week 9 meeting that resulted in a 52-47 victory for Kent State, which was the home team.

In that game, Kent State was favored by 3.5 points and the over/under was 72. The Golden Flashes thus barely covered while the game flew over the posted total.

Given the switch in location -- Kent State is no longer the home team -- I find it odd that the Golden Flashes are basically favored by the same number of points.

Normally, a switch to a different venue would result in Kent State being favored by fewer points.

Perhaps the persistent favor that Kent State receives from oddsmakers is a product of its most recent triumphs.

In their last two games, the Golden Flashes easily covered the spread against Akron, shutting it out 38-0.

Last Saturday, Kent State covered the spread by achieving the minor upset over Miami (Ohio).

Further improving public perception of Kent State in this game is the fact that Northern Illinois lost its last game, to Western Michigan, by 21 points, despite only being a seven-point underdog.

The First Meeting

What stands out to me is the fact that both teams, in their first meeting, combined for 99 points.

Kent State accomplished a 31-point outburst in the second quarter while the Huskies scored 20 in the fourth quarter. Obviously, a lot of scoring happened otherwise.

The Golden Flashes are uniquely equipped to produce these amazing scoring outbursts because they do not like to waste any time.

In this first meeting, they produced three touchdown drives that took less than a minute off the clock. Every other Kent State touchdown drive -- there were seven in total -- required fewer than two minutes.

It's not like the Golden Flashes were benefitting from fortunate field position, either. Six of their seven touchdown drives required over 60 yards.

While they maybe took a minute or so more per drive, Northern Illinois was nearly able to match Kent State's scoring.

Something that impressed me about the Huskies' offense in the game was the degree to which it succeeded despite diverting from usual tactics.

The Huskies, this season, have primarily been a run-first team. They own the nation's eighth-highest rushing play percentage.

It's not like running back Jay Ducker was having a bad game in any sense of the word at the hands of Kent State's defense.

But the Huskies were able to score in droves against Kent State primarily by passing.

Former Michigan State quarterback Rocky Lombardi attempted 57 passes, 19 more than he's thrown in any game all season.

Lombardi amassed 532 yards and three touchdowns without allowing Kent State's characteristically opportunistic defense to intercept him a single time.

While there were instances of trickeration in the first meeting, neither team relied on scoring in that kind of unusual fashion.

Continuity

Moving quickly is nothing new for the Golden Flashes, which ranks 10th nationally in plays per game.

The Golden Flashes always like to play fast, which results in shorter scoring drives, which means that more time remains for more scoring opportunities both for themselves and the other team.

Also, when the offense is on the field for less time, the defense gets less rest and plays more poorly.

Both passing attacks promise to shine again.

Kent State just dropped 38 points in regulation against one of the MAC's best scoring defenses in Miami of Ohio.

For Kent State, quarterback Dustin Crum accomplished a 163.3 passer rating in that game, despite throwing two interceptions. He had only thrown interceptions against Texas A&M.

For the increased rest that its offense allows its defense, Northern Illinois is unable to stop strong quarterbacks.

In its last game, the Huskies allowed Western Michigan quarterback Kaleb Eleby to exceed 300 passing yards and achieve a ridiculous 253.4 passer rating.

Games like this help explain why they rank 82nd nationally in limiting opposing passing yards per game.

Crum can take advantage, again, as he has been recognized for his statistically accurate downfield throwing, which nicely complements his regularly mistake-free play.

Northern Illinois will have plenty of time and chances to respond to Crum and company with its pass attack facing Kent State's 128th-ranked passing defense (as measured by opposing pass yards per game).

While Kent State's run defense hardly ranks higher than its pass defense, the fact that it has produced instances of competent run defense might seem to give its defense hope, but not when the Huskies can demonstrably pass the ball at will.

The Verdict

Expect a fast-paced game where neither defense stops the other offense from doing what it wants or, at least, what it's more than capable of thriving at.

Best Bet: Over 73 at -110 with BetOnline

It's really hard to not like the over in this game. Off the top of my head I can't think of two really good offenses teams both with equally bad defenses playing each other in a conference title game. Maybe an old WAC Title game or something.

I guess in trying to think of a way it wouldn't go over, maybe if say Kent prioritizes stopping the run which would leave them more vulnerable vs the pass, as it did in the first meeting, but maybe NIU this time elects to keep running more than throwing and maybe their possessions take longer? Not sure how likely that is.

What is really crazy, that first game between NIU-Kent, they scored just one TD, no FGs on the first seven possessions of the game! 7 points in the whole 1st Q. Then they scored 92 in quarters 2-4! Just goes to show even if there would be some longer possessions or empty possession, the game still looks like an over waiting to happen.

Not gonna be that easy again. Both teams run 60%ish of the time....Already played to 99....yet linemakers shave off 4 tds for the opening total in the rematch....Vegas doesnt tell you things often, but when they do ya gotta listen.....Lot more pressure this go around, neutral field and they've already seen each other...Someones gonna have to score more than 38 to get this total over (and most likely over 41).....As pointed out by s--k, these teams had 7 empty possessions in the 1st Q last game, so it could happen again. Also, there were only 2 turnovers and no ints.....Having more film and study time could mean a redzone pick or other drive killing turnover. I havent bet it yet, but I assume it will keep rising....at 74.5 currently and dont see any reason it wont hit 76 or higher .....

Hammock was on the radio. I forget his exact words, but I think he used the words "protecting our team" as part of the game plan, which immediately makes one think of protecting their defense. Kent doesn't care about TOP, but in terms of NIU game plan if you can atleast give them fewer possessions that is fewer points Kent can score. He also said they need to run better this game. Kent aimed to take away or limit the NIU run game last time so NIU just took advantage through the air. Maybe NIU is more patient this time running.

I still think there will be plenty of points as both Ds are just outright bad.

As far as Vegas posting the number correlated with what first game was. There is another high scoring game this week in a rematch. UTSA-WKU scored 98 on a 71.5 total. The new total for this week opened at 73? I don't know exactly how they set lines and totals with all that factors into it, but seems they trust their PR numbers more than what happened in the first game of a rematch. Look at App State and ULL. App State was -5 at ULL and lost by 28. They made App State favorite again, but instead -3 now. If oddsmakers were so swayed by the game results vs their methods, then ULL would be favored. It's like the results of game 1 doesn't matter to them.

Hammock was on the radio. I forget his exact words, but I think he used the words "protecting our team" as part of the game plan, which immediately makes one think of protecting their defense. Kent doesn't care about TOP, but in terms of NIU game plan if you can atleast give them fewer possessions that is fewer points Kent can score. He also said they need to run better this game. Kent aimed to take away or limit the NIU run game last time so NIU just took advantage through the air. Maybe NIU is more patient this time running.

I still think there will be plenty of points as both Ds are just outright bad.

As far as Vegas posting the number correlated with what first game was. There is another high scoring game this week in a rematch. UTSA-WKU scored 98 on a 71.5 total. The new total for this week opened at 73? I don't know exactly how they set lines and totals with all that factors into it, but seems they trust their PR numbers more than what happened in the first game of a rematch. Look at App State and ULL. App State was -5 at ULL and lost by 28. They made App State favorite again, but instead -3 now. If oddsmakers were so swayed by the game results vs their methods, then ULL would be favored. It's like the results of game 1 doesn't matter to them.
Its doesnt matter to them, and thats kind of the point. Who it does matter to is those betting, and thats why you have some (not here) that talk of traps & locks etc. Ive been wrong plenty of times and may be wrong here...I just think the odds of a clean game with 2 or less turnovers is unlikely in round 2....not to mention NIU has seen they cant go go blow for blow with Kent St and leave their defense out their all game. Kent St was the only team besides Michigan and GT to hang 50+ on the Huskies (no surprise all 3 losses), so I think we see an effort from NIU to move the chains via the run, and if Kent St plays error free football again then I will tip my cap.

Back