• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

2021 Texas Rangers - Entire Season

BringInTheLefty

I’m back for my fourth year of doing a daily recap of my beloved Texas Rangers
With Covid-19 numbers soaring who knows if the season will happen and if it does will it be a full 162 season?

first off my 2020 Rangers were an AL worst 22-38
we hit 27 home runs in 30 games at Globe Life

here are a few of our positive moves we’ve made so far

Nate Lowe will be our starting first baseman, he’s 25 years old and has played in 71 games for the Rays over the past two seasons
Batting .251 11 HR’s 30 RBI’s in 245 AB’s

Kiner-Falefa is moving to SS
Elvis will be used as a utility player but will get quite a few starts at 3B
we are still looking for a “real” 3B
David Dahl will be starting in LF we acquired him from the Rockies
Nick Solak will be the starting 2B
Odor will get starts at 3B & LF

our starting pitching has improved by signing Japanese righty Kohei Arihara to a two year contract
Gibson & Lyles round out out top three starters
Kyle Cody, Kolby Allard, Wes Benjamin, John King & Joe Palumbo all will be trying to nail down the final two spots
We will look to get a “name” SP during Spring training
In a trade I despised was letting Montero go to Seattle for two players
If you’ve been sleeping since the WS we traded Lance Lynn to the White Sox in return for Lynn we got Dane Dunning RHP & Avery Weems LHP
We claimed off waivers Aramis Garcia C from the Giants, he will be our backup C
We resigned Heineman & Joe Gatto RHP

Willie Calhoun is a huge ????? what will become of him, TBD

I foresee a very long year for us & I hope we win 70 games

70 games may be a bit optimistic, although in the spirit of spring and the high hopes that come with it:
If we don't sign guys that get in the way of the young players getting reps and commit to the rebuild, perhaps we'll have something in a few years.

Committing means admitting that a few players are busts --namely Guzie, Roughie & Willie (although Odor will always have a place in my heart for the hard right he landed on that douche-knuckle Joey Bats...I got a t-shirt made that I don many times through the summer to piss off all the Jays fans up here north of the 49th)
..as well as taking a few chances on guys whose health is a question mark, like Dahl coming off shoulder surgery.

Kinda sad to see Elvis go, but I'm probably just getting more nostalgic as I become older. His back gave him quite a bit of trouble last year...father time gets to everybody, I guess.
Plus, I seem to recall Khris Davis hitting pretty freaking well in Globe Life Park...one of those guys who gets up to the plate and they show his stats for the year: " .198 with 2 hr's"...then he goes 3 for 4 with a dinger and by the end of a 3 game set in Arlington, he's 8 for 12 with 2 homers and 7 ribbies.

Kinda sad to see Elvis go, but I'm probably just getting more nostalgic as I become older. His back gave him quite a bit of trouble last year...father time gets to everybody, I guess.
Plus, I seem to recall Khris Davis hitting pretty freaking well in Globe Life Park...one of those guys who gets up to the plate and they show his stats for the year: " .198 with 2 hr's"...then he goes 3 for 4 with a dinger and by the end of a 3 game set in Arlington, he's 8 for 12 with 2 homers and 7 ribbies.

I will miss Elvis as well, he was all class
with this move I think we new get rid of Joey and get a “name” 3B

here’s the trade
Elvis Andrus and catcher Aramis Garcia from the Texas Rangers in exchange for DH Khris Davis, catcher Jonah Heim, and RHP Dane Acker.

Rangers roster moves: LHPs Kolby Allard and Joe Palumbo optioned to Round Rock. Non-roster invites RHP Spencer Patton and OF Jason Martin assigned to minor league camp. INFs Jonathan Ornelas and Jayce Easley have been added to the 75-man player pool.

Plus, the club exercised the '22 option for Woody.

Oh yeah...they're also left with no right handed power bats after Khris Davis joined Calhoun on the injury list when he was legging out a bunt single.

The phrase "inauspicious start" comes to mind.

Plus, the club exercised the '22 option for Woody.

Oh yeah...they're also left with no right handed power bats after Khris Davis joined Calhoun on the injury list when he was legging out a bunt single.

The phrase "inauspicious start" comes to mind.

Believe it or not I’m a bit more optimistic about this season
I think they can win 78-80 games
Pretty sure we can take 2 of 3 from Royals but then Blue Jays that will be a tough series then Padres and Rays
If we can be 8-8 heading into our series with the Angels on April 19th then we should be ok...
But if we are 6-10 or worse then it will be a very very very very long season

I've been trying to refrain from betting the season win total, but the Over 67.5 +130 is mighty tempting.

I was glad to hear Daniels use the phrase "giving opportunities to other players" in the presser today about DFA-ing Roughie. If the youngsters gel in the locker room, they may get on a little heater this season..bunch of guys happy to be there and still loving the game.

As usual, a few days away from Opening Day, I'm getting optimistic.

"We're born again, there's new grass on the field"

so long Odor our 27-year-old 2B has two more seasons and $24.6 million left as well as a $3 million buyout for 2023
to me he was never the same player after his beat down of Batista
I hope he gets one more chance in the bigs to prove folks wrong
I will miss him

Game 1 summary:

positive: we scored 5 in top of the first
negatives: gave up 5 in bottom of the first
Gibson 0.1 gave up 4 hits 5 runs all 5 earned walked 3 struck out 1 left the game with a 135.0 ERA
Cody threw 1.0 inning gave up 4 hits 3 runs all of them earned walked 1 struck out 2 and gave up a solo HR
deGeus 1.0 gave up 1 hit 3 runs all earned walked 2

Dahl went 3/5
Gallo went 2/3 knocking in 2 runs walked three times and did not strike out
Lowe went 2/6 knocking in 4
White went 2/4 knocked in 2
Solak went 1/5 knocked in 1

we struck out 16 times, same old same old here at the plate sans Joey
Taveras went 0-5 striking out 4 times
Solak & Lowe struck out 3 times each

tough opening day, you’d assume when your team scores 10 runs you’d win
Uhhhhh not so much, we used 7 pitchers
off tomorrow and back at it Saturday afternoon

we were leading 4-0 after four but then the roof collapsed and we lost 11-4
an 0-2 start to our season
Arihara threw 5 innings gave up 6 hits 3 runs all earned struck out one, walked none and gave up a solo HR
Sborz pitched 0.0 gave up 1 hit 3 runs all earned walked two and got the loss
King threw 1.0 gave up 5 hits 4 runs all earned struck out 1

Gallo went 1/2 hitting his first bomb of the season a two run shot off of Mike Minor walked twice and struck out only once
Dahl went 2/4
Lowe went 1/4 driving in 2
Kiner-Falefa went 0-4 struck out 3 times batting .111
we struck out 10 times now have 26 strikeouts in only 2 games
went 2-5 with RISP and left 5 on base

Lyles tries to get our first W tomorrow

How big a lead ya’ll pitchers need spotted to get a W? Gotta be disheartening to jump out to fast starts then getting walked down then passed in short order!! I thought at beginning the series it was kinda crazy kc such big favs but they one the few sizable favs that performing up to the prices!! They certainly look to have enough offense, they look like the best offense in baseball facing rangers pitching, that gotta be a huge freaking concern for ya’ll, signs point to a long painful season!

I remain optimistic.
The cagey old vets Dahl and Lowe are doing their part...leading by example and showing the youngsters the ropes.
The tandem starter thing has a chance of being a good fit for this rotation...I've got especially high hopes for Lyles to have a nice bounceback season.
A new stadium filled to capacity with the hated Jays coming in for the home opener series, plus the Nolan Ryan beef wieners on Dollar Hot Dog Day.
Maybe the Royals are a sleeper juggernaut team?

I'm committed to the rebuild. Which is not to say that I won't be live betting our opponents team total Over at the end of the third inning every freaking game, but I see some potential on the horizon for the squad.

I remain optimistic.
The cagey old vets Dahl and Lowe are doing their part...leading by example and showing the youngsters the ropes.
The tandem starter thing has a chance of being a good fit for this rotation...I've got especially high hopes for Lyles to have a nice bounceback season.
A new stadium filled to capacity with the hated Jays coming in for the home opener series, plus the Nolan Ryan beef wieners on Dollar Hot Dog Day.

I'm committed to the rebuild. Which is not to say that I won't be live betting our opponents team total Over at the end of the third inning every freaking game, but I see some potential on the horizon for the squad.

I hope so, but if we can’t get one quality start soon then we might be lucky to win 60 games

I remain optimistic.

that full capacity thing is just for opening day isn’t it? Kc could be a closet solid team but gotta think if they destroying rangers pitching Jays will also.

we jumped out to a 6 run lead & held on to pop our cherry on the season
final score was 7-3
Lyles went 5.2 innings giving up 5 hits 2 runs both earned walked none and struck out 8 gave up a 2 run HR
Benjamin threw 2.1 innings gave up 1 hit and struck out 3

Kiner-Falefa went 3-4 knocked in 3 runs he also hit his first HR
Lowe went 2-4 knocked in 3 and he hit his first HR a 3 run shot
Gallo went 2-5 and now batting .500

we struck out 9 times, went 2-8 with RISP and left 5 on base

The Blue Jays (2-1) come to town tomorrow, a very big test

38,238 watched the Rangers lose today, won’t get into if I think it was smart to have a sellout crowd but they all saw how bad we are
Foltynewicz threw 4.0 innings 95 pitches 4 hits 4 runs all earned walked 3 struck out 7 and gave up 2 HR’s a two run shot and a solo shot
Cody threw 2.1 innings giving up 2 hits 2 runs 1 was earned walked 1 struck out none

Lowe and Holt each went 1-4 and they both drove in one run
Dahl went 0-4
Joey went 0-3 striking out 3 times
Solak went 0-3 struck out twice

we struck out 14 more times, 49 times in 4 games this striking out problem has not been addressed by Woody & our coaches for the past three seasons
went 2-6 with RISP and left 6 on base

tomorrow doesn’t look any brighter for us either we have Dane Dunning on the hill
the fans can’t be happy with our starting staff or the team, yet ownership and especially Jon Daniels thinks we are heading in the right direction BULLSHIT

Odor is now a NY Yankee, I see how this will end up
will hit 25-30 HR’s knock in 85 runs and bat .270

lol. Pretty much how I feel when cardinals trade a position player these days, especially outfielders! That libetore kid better be getting close and be a top the rotation ace type to justify us giving the rays Arozarena!! Such a bummer cause we could really use a good outfielder or 2!!

we jumped out to a 5-1 lead after and held on to win our second game of the season
final score was 7-4 our record now stands at 2-3
Dunning threw 5.0 innings giving up 3 hits 1 run which was earned walked none struck out 6 and gave up a solo HR he did get the W
Ian Kennedy got his first save

Lowe was our hitting star, belting 2 HR’s he went 2-4 driving in 4 he now has 3 HR’s for the year
Guzman hit his first HR of the season a solo shot going 1-4
Helm & Holt each drove in a run
Gallo went 0-3 and he’s now 0-6 over the past two games

we struck out only 6 times went 3-8 with RISP and left 4 on base

Gibson gets the ball this afternoon a 1:05 PM CST start
he can only improve (I hope) from his first “effort”
would be a nice series win, tomorrow is an off day then the Padres come to town

Pending4/5/2021 4:05:01 PM Props Baseball 5826 Texas Rangers (3 Game Series) +165*

3 Game Series Winner - any pitcher has action
vs Toronto Blue Jays (3 Game Series) (Fixed Price)

Gibson was very good today, he threw 6.0 innings allowing 6 hits no runs while striking out 8 and walked none as we go on to win 2-1 our record stands at 3-3 and we won the series
Kennedy earned his second save striking out the side

Solak went 1-3 hitting his first HR a solo shot
Taveras went 1-3 knocking in 1
Gallo went 1-4
Lowe, Kiner-Falefa & Dahl went 0-4

we struck out 8 times and went 1-9 with RISP and left 7 on base
off tomorrow with the Padres coming to town on Friday

well we helped the Padres break their record as the only team to not have thrown a no hitter
The Padres had gone 8,206 games without throwing one
we lost 3-0 dropping our record to 3-4

Arihara (0-1) threw 4 innings gave up 5 hits 3 runs 2 of them earned walked one struck out one
our pen threw 5 innings not allowing a run

no offense to report at all
we struck out 10 times left only 1 on base
Tejeda went 0-3 striking out 3 times

not much more to say, tonight Lyles (1-0) 3.18 ERA takes to the hill

well we helped the Padres break their record as the only team to not have thrown a no hitter
The Padres had gone 8,206 games without throwing one
we lost 3-0 dropping our record to 3-4

Arihara (0-1) threw 4 innings gave up 5 hits 3 runs 2 of them earned walked one struck out one
our pen threw 5 innings not allowing a run

no offense to report at all
we struck out 10 times left only 1 on base
Tejeda went 0-3 striking out 3 times

not much more to say, tonight Lyles (1-0) 3.18 ERA takes to the hill
All we can do is hope for a let down after the no no.

From BettorIQ in early 2019:

Over the last 16 years, there were 42 traditional no-hitters thrown and three additional that were achieved “by committee.” The team that suffered the cruel fate didn’t fare much better the next time out with a straight up record of 18-27 (-11.3 units). Totals wise, there were 25 unders vs. 19 overs though those results are somewhat skewed after a string of eight straight unders from 2007-10. On the surface, one would think that a team that falls victim to a no-hitter isn’t very good offensively but the results perhaps point towards the fact that the team that threw the no-hitter obviously didn’t need to utilize its bullpen meaning fresh arms the following night. The exception to this being the aforementioned “committee” no-hitter and if the event took place at the end of a series and the opponent changed.

we were leading 3-0 after three but lost 7-4 dropping our record to 3-5
Lyles threw only 4.1 innings giving up 6 hits 3 runs all of them earned walked 2 struck out 1 and gave up 2 HR’s
Benjamin threw 2 innings gave up 3 hits 2 runs both earned walked 2 struck out 1 and gave up 1 HR he took the loss

Kiner-Falefa went 2-4 knocking in 3 runs
White went 1-3 driving in 1
Gallo went 1-4 striking out 3 times batting .269
Lowe went 0-4 struck out 2 times batting .250

we struck out 11 times went 2-5 with RISP and left 5 on base

today we will try and salvage getting swept Foltynewicz takes to the hill
we leave for Tampa after the game for a 4 game series

the Padres took out their brooms and swept us, today we lost 2-0 and our record now stands at 3-6
Foltynewicz was very good he threw 7.0 innings giving up only 2 hits 1 run which was earned walking 3 striking out 3 and gave up a solo HR
Kennedy threw one inning and gave up a solo shot to Machado

our offense was offensive again today, we could only muster 5 hits
Trevino went 2-5
White,Solak & Kiner-Falefa each got 1 hit

we struck out 11 more times, today we went 0-6 with RISP and left 10 on base

impossible to win a series when you score 4 runs in three games, one of those we didn’t collect a hit
we had only 12 hits entire series, we struck out 32 times went 2-11 with RISP and left 16 on base

off to Tampa for a 4 game series, not feeling good about this trip at all

lost a tough one 1-0 dropping our record to 3-7 losers of four straight, we’ve now been sh
Dunning threw 4.0 innings 71 pitches 44 of them for strikes
Hearn (0-1) threw 3.0 innings gave up 1 run which was earned struck out 7 and walked 2 he gave up a solo HR and took the loss

Trevino,White and Tavares all got one hit
we struck out 17 times, our discipline at the plate once again is awful, it’s a habit we haven’t broken over the past 3 seasons
our 1-4 batters went 0-14 striking out 9 times
we went 0-1 with RISP and left 4 on base

doesn’t get easier tonight either, we face Yarbrough and we counter with Gibson (1-0) 7.11 ERA

4 runs in the last 36 innings..pitiful.

On the plus side, there's talk of calling up Adolis Garcia to replace Guzman after his knee injury last night. Garcia had a wicked spring training and might be a little spark for the offense.

4 runs in the last 36 innings..pitiful.

On the plus side, there's talk of calling up Adolis Garcia to replace Guzman after his knee injury last night. Garcia had a wicked spring training and might be a little spark for the offense.
we are so fucked, could be a 58 win season

bolstered by a 4 run fourth inning and Gibson pitching a strong 7 innings we went on to win 8-3 to break our 4 game losing streak
Gibson threw 86 pitches 51 of them for strikes over 7.0 innings he gave up 4 hits 2 runs 1 of those was earned walked 2 struck out 3 he’s now 2-0

Solak went 2-4 driving in 3
Cluberson went 3-4 driving in 3 he hit his 1st HR of the season a 2 run shot
Gallo went 2-5 driving in 1
Kiner-Falefa went 2-5 driving in 1

we struck out 9 times went 6-13 with RISP and left 6 on base

a much needed win, now let’s see what happens tonight

91 MPH

That's the number I have on a post-it note sticking to my computer monitor. I check the opposing pitcher's average fastball speed..if it's north of 91, I bet against Texas..if it's below, I bet on them.

For whatever reason, we can't hit the fastball. When we come up against a guy who doesn't have the velocity (i.e. Yarbrough last night) we're hitting machines...if we face a hurler that can get into the mid-90's, we flail around like dull-witted little leaguers.

This lefty we're facing tonight, Fleming, averages 91...so it's a 50/50 proposition.

surprise,surprise,surprise we’ve won two in a row from the Rays
boosted by a 4 run seventh inning we went on to win 5-1 our record now stands at 5-7
Arihara threw 5.2 innings giving up 3 hits no runs struck out 5 and walked none

Lowe went 2-4 hitting his 4th HR a solo shot
Dahl went 2-5 driving in 2
Garcia went 2-4 driving in 2
Joey went 1-2
Solak went 0-4 now batting an Odor like .209
Cluberson went 2-3

only struck out 5 times went 3-6 with RISP and left 6 on base

Lyles (1-0) takes to the hill tonight, we then head home to face the Orioles

Back