• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Wild Card Round: Browns vs. Steelers Discussion Thread

Cavs my guess would be pitt -10 but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was-13 based on today’s horrible performance. I would guess the total at 52.

I would hammer pitt at anything -10 or less and I really love over 52. Cle d is not good. GL

Got Steelers -4 -115 for 2 units, pretty comfortable with it, and big if, Ben delivers. Chubb should be held somewhat in check and it's gonna be a little different sledding for Baker next week than today.

I am way off. I can’t believe only -3 or -4. Wow! I thought they looked like crap today against a really stripped down pitt. GL

I'm stunned at this line. Thought for sure Pittsburgh would be -7 or 7.5. They're begging people to bet the Steelers and frankly I might take the bait. I need to see it to believe it.

Steelers have traditionally feasted on division opponents in the playoffs. Cowher and Tomlin a combined 7-1 SU against division teams, 13-15 SU against everyone else.

Browns last two playoff appearances....two losses.....both to Pittsburgh.

A lot of old baggage getting carried in by the Browns in this one.

Not sure 1994 & 2002 teams have a ton of relevance here in comparisons. Hell, the 1994 team was a different franchise, they are now the Ravens. Steelers last two playoff appearances were both losses also. Same could be said for all teams who haven't won a SB recently.

It plays into the confidence level of both teams. Steelers know they own the Browns and Bengals. The Browns know it too. Like I said, they're carrying a lot of baggage into this.

I've had Pitt pegged as a one and done...and of course they get the freaking Brown's.

The line definitely will make you think about this one though.

Steelers offense definitely less balanced than the Browns, but their defense has a distinct advantage. Someone in the Bills/Colts thread mentioned they'll pay to see Allen win a playoff game by a TD because apparently they don't feel he's proved himself yet. Well, sign me up for wanting to see Mayfield prove he can win on the road in a meaningful game against a quality defense. Still not sure he's mentally tough when things don't start off well. Being cocky isn't the same as being confident.

Thanks skanless et al. I can’t make up my mind. I hate the browns defense because it doesn’t exist. And to be truthful I am a lifelong browns fan so sometimes I do go a little too far in thinking pitt will have an easy time of it. I also agree on the point except for bravado mayfield really isn’t tested. Looking at other people’s evaluations in here and the low line I am now 99% sure the best bet on this game is over. But I will wait to look at weather and virus. Thanks folks. GL

As a Steelers fan, I won't touch this game with a 10 ft pole. I feel like the second string defense showed how poor the passing game was when Baker-mayfield had to really hold the ball. The one thing he did which i didn't expect was Mayfield running the ball for yardage. Something the Steelers will have to clean up.

Also, we don't know how much of the offense, the Browns really ran...whether it was a small portion of playbook realizing that you want to hold something back for the playoff game the following week against the same opponent.

The other question that concerns me is that with Rudolph, they were able to throw deep and connect. Can Ben do similarly and does he have the accuracy? Rudolph was fairly accurate with those throws. When there is zip in the ball, Ben has been fine. When he has to throw deeper with an arc, he's been less likely to connect.

Also lack of a running game really sticks out for the Steelers, not so much against the Browns I feel, but if they move further into playoffs it may hurt them with Time of possession and wearing down of their own defense.

Thanks skanless et al. I can’t make up my mind. I hate the browns defense because it doesn’t exist. And to be truthful I am a lifelong browns fan so sometimes I do go a little too far in thinking pitt will have an easy time of it. I also agree on the point except for bravado mayfield really isn’t tested. Looking at other people’s evaluations in here and the low line I am now 99% sure the best bet on this game is over. But I will wait to look at weather and virus. Thanks folks. GL
Additionally, Pitt has NO running game, Ben can not throw deep, their receivers are largely inconsistent. Cle will be able to run on them. Question is how Baker will fair vs their secondary and LBs, and will Cleveland's secondary do enough despite Pitts limitations. perhaps I am skewed, but the games I have watched of Pitt all year have not impressed me. They are perhaps the worst 12-3 or whatever they ended up, team ever.
Ifhlaw makes good points as well. Was that the best version of Cleveland's offense in a must win game, or is their more...

As crazy as it sounds I might keep my money in my pocket and just root for the browns in this one. I agree if game is off board it has to be mayfield Chubb hunt or Landry. My bet is mayfield. I just can’t see trying to cap Covid. GL

Browns LG Joel Bitonio and WR KhaDarel Hodge tested positive for COVID-19.​

Neither play will be available for the Browns' playoff game against Pittsburgh. Bitonio constitutes an outsized loss for Cleveland against the Steelers' front seven. He was the second best pass blocking guard in the NFL this season, per Pro Football Focus grades. Bitonio is a key part of an offensive line that gave Baker Mayfield -- one of the least pressured quarterbacks in the league -- a clean pocket throughout the season. A three-time Pro Bowler who has suffered in Cleveland for seven years, Bitonio will miss his first chance to play in the postseason. The Browns will also be without rotational WR Hodge.

Blind side guard not good. Hodge hurts more than a passing mention. Why do I think this is just the beginning for browns? GL

Baker needs to be on the move anyways. Rolling out, etc. He‘s not an efficient pocket passer especially when his first read isn‘t there.

My bigger question is: how many days will the Browns have practiced before game day?

Gotta feel bad for the Browns. Finally get the playoff Great guy off their back and don't even get a fair shake because of a Pandemic.
Technically the Steelers got screwed much more by the pandemic than the Browns did this season, pretty much played handicap for several weeks. This is two players and one game, not like the coaches won't be chiming in from afar.

Steelers got to play the Ravens without Lamar and others due to COVID. Nice break for a team that already had Jacksonville, NFC East and the Bengals on the schedule for seven games.

They complain they didn't get a bye. That's a lie. They played 16 times in 17 weeks just like everyone else. Their bye got moved.

They complain they had to play 3 games in 12 days. They were scheduled to play three in 12 with the Thanksgiving Day game. Unlike many teams, they got 10 days to prepare ahead of their 3 in 12. Most teams go into a 3 in 12 with just a week to prepare.

And now they've had a quasi bye week 17 for their key players, including two key guys on COVID lists (Ebron and Haden), and now get to play a familiar opponent who will be missing their coach. Plus because they're the last game of the weekend it'll time enough to get Ebron back and we'll see about Haden once they finish backdating the test results.

Steelers have made out just fine in 2020.

OK Browns coach out is huge, Bitonio out big, everyone thinks line was low to begin with...

what about the Steelers?

No Haden right? Or does he get a chance to play because it's sunday like Kamara? Terrell Edmunds is still up in the air. Boswell probably plays hurt. Is Ebron going to be g2g?

If the Browns came out and smacked the Steelers last week this line would be 3.5. All season the Steelers have been dubbed the most flawed top tier team, 1 win in the last 5 games. Suddenly everyone has faith in them to come out and win convincingly? I just don't.

I tend to think all the pressure was on the Browns to win last week, which they did. It was close in the end because the Browns coasted 4thq after going up 24-9. ALL the pressure is on the Steelers now. Steelers wr can definitely get behind the secondary but Big ben still has to get them the ball, and they still have to catch it (I'm looking at you Dionte). Baker 9 tds & 1 int the last 5 games. Big Ben last 5 played 9tds 5 ints. Chubb is a top tier back and they need to feed him early. I have to say right now Baker is the better qb. He's been getting sacked a ton which is a concern going against that front.

Back