• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

The New Playoff Discussion...

I saw it on there different tidbits. I'll look harder but obviously very interesting.

Wasn't last year a one - off? As far as full acc play?
Yep, was just to fill the schedule

Makes sense the no bye, if the top 6 seeds are all conference champs

Regular season gonna mean so much for every team in top 25 into november makes the season a lot more fun

Only thing you lose is the "game of the century" types...but that's fine nowadays... Rarely happens...
Yep, every week of the regular season, and every conference tourney final mattering is much better in the long run

Also, keeps teams alive longer, b1g or sec teams who lose in september were basically done in past, with the 6 at large, still makes sure best teams get to playoff, while also making sure every team has a chance every season, aka the usf rule

From reading details

First round would be on campus, once it's down to 8 than at 'bowl' sites

First round post post conference titles pre christmas

Qf on Jan 1 or 2

Earliest would be 2023

Notre dame ad was in the working group, and they would be team with biggest potential issues, so seems to have momentum

Who outside of fan bases are interested in Bama/Clemson/LSU/Ohio St/Oklahoma in this mini tournament? Occasionally someone else, sure, but this is not exciting for the sport
Also I just gotta add that LSU is in the West WITH Bama(yea I’m sick of em too). So you can imagine the difficult road travelled to have been to 4 Natty’s in 20 years

I get your point though.

Fact of the matter is... Bowl games have become a thing of the past so we need something 'different'.

I'm all for something like this that will at least give us several meaningful games.

Sounds great to me. The only part I don't like is giving four teams a bye

The fact the "six most highly rated conference champs" are automatically in is interesting. I could see a year where a Power Five conference power gets knocked off by a two loss team from the other division and it allows to Group of Five champs in. I I like that idea.

Sounds great to me. The only part I don't like is giving four teams a bye

The fact the "six most highly rated conference champs" are automatically in is interesting. I could see a year where a Power Five conference power gets knocked off by a two loss team from the other division and it allows to Group of Five champs in. I I like that idea.
Depends, it can read a couple ways

Is the individually rated teams from any conference, or the champs of the 6 highest rated conferences?

Is the individually rated teams from any conference, or the champs of the 6 highest rated conferences

Six highest rated conference champs. It's the ranking of the individual team that wins the conference title, not the rating of the conference

One thing I've seen that i hope they factor in, gotta cut out some neutral site games

The quarters at least need to be on campus, preferably semis as well, but making fans travel for 3 potential games

Right now it's just that first week of games where the top 4 have byes, so the top 4 seeds dont even get a home game too, they go straight to neutral site

Reactions: KJ
Really think you have to get rid of a reg season game if you're going to do this, too much unpaid football for a lot of these guys already.

Risking more guys just not playing after the semester is over to prepare for draft, doesn't matter if they're playing for a 'ship I believe

Last edited:
So your 12 teams will annually be from the same 21/22 programs:

5 Power 5 champs (generally Bama, Ohio St, Clemson, Oklahoma, USC or Oregon)
1 Non-Power 5 champ (generally from AAC)
3 SEC wildcards (pick from Fla, Ga, LSU, Auburn, A&M)
1 Big 10 wildcard (pick from Iowa, Wisky, Mich or PSU)
1 Big 12 wildcard (pick from Texas, OK St or Baylor)
1 ACC wildcard or Notre Dame (it'll be ND, who are we kidding?)

I guess its a little more variety than what we see now. There have only been 11 teams in the CFP in its 7 years.

Who outside of fan bases are interested in Bama/Clemson/LSU/Ohio St/Oklahoma in this mini tournament? Occasionally someone else, sure, but this is not exciting for the sport
EVERYONE who is interested in crowning a champion is interested in watching those teams play. You’re making the case AGAINST a playoff since the playoff necessarily focuses attention on the elite to the detriment of everyone else.

EVERYONE who is interested in crowning a champion is interested in watching those teams play. You’re making the case AGAINST a playoff since the playoff necessarily focuses attention on the elite to the detriment of everyone else.
It's boring

This isn't pro sports. I don't give a flyin' fk about elite. It's fun for you because your team is in there. But it's a terrible design that a ton of people even in the US don't really give a shit about anymore.

The ship is sailing

It's boring

This isn't pro sports. I don't give a flyin' fk about elite. It's fun for you because your team is in there. But it's a terrible design that a ton of people even in the US don't really give a shit about anymore.

The ship is sailing
There’s no point to adding more teams. Only twice in seven years has the play-off field excluded a team (or teams) with a credible chance at winning it all (TCU and Baylor in 2014 and Auburn in 2017). It’s just going to add the “excitement” of teams competing to lose to the teams who deserve to be there. Maybe “Cinderella” will make it to the Final Four and end the season with a loss!

College football has the best regular season of any sport, and anything that increases the focus on the postseason tends to ruin that.

There’s no point to adding more teams. Only twice in seven years has the play-off field excluded a team (or teams) with a credible chance at winning it all (TCU and Baylor in 2014 and Auburn in 2017). It’s just going to add the “excitement” of teams competing to lose to the teams who deserve to be there. Maybe “Cinderella” will make it to the Final Four and end the season with a loss!

College football has the best regular season of any sport, and anything that increases the focus on the postseason tends to ruin that.
No doubt I agree with the last part fo sho

There should never be a Cinderella in a 4 team tournament, the politics at this point are not doing the current trophy any favors

I think the main point here is that this should theoretically make the elite teams weaker. The same 5-6 schools get all the top recruits partly because of the playoff.

But If the argument is NC St should be able to recruit with FLA, obviously that’s ain’t it. Not saying you are saying that, but…

I think 6-8 is fine…..6 better I think

How is the balance really off? We’re we not rowing the boat in the B10 recently?

Iowa St had a nice nice run.

Duke was in the ACC Ship not too too long ago yea?

If people mean the G5, yea let’s let one in. If they can’t all get in, that’s why we get bowl games and the proverbial who wants to be there/who doesn’t.

It’s fun. I definitely want the regular season to be intense tho.

I just really disagree with the playoff being the reason for the recruiting.

There are too many specific and special circumstances. I’m mainly referring to the non group of 5 schools.

I just really disagree with the playoff being the reason for the recruiting.

There are too many specific and special circumstances. I’m mainly referring to the non group of 5 schools.
It’s not THE reason but I think it factors in without question. You don’t think Dabo is selling that they make the playoff every season?

It’s not THE reason but I think it factors in without question. You don’t think Dabo is selling that they make the playoff every season?
I’m sure he says we have the easiest road to it looking at the conference he is in.

But he had to do work before he got to that point ya know?

Despise at large bids. Conference winners only. no conference should ever send 2 to a playoff in a sport with over 100 teams.

I’m sure he says we have the easiest road to it looking at the conference he is in.

But he had to do work before he got to that point ya know?
Oh no doubt. But once they made their breakthrough they’ve gone from good program to elite. The expanded playoff allows more programs a chance to make that same breakthrough- winning leads to better recruiting. Who knows? Maybe the expansion won’t change recruiting at all. But it does offer many more programs a seat at the table to win by competing for a championship.

Also, I am not a strong proponent of the 12 team playoff. But I do think the current system is leading cfb down the wrong road. The past few seasons have been really underwhelming imo as a pretty neutral but avid fan

Oh no doubt. But once they made their breakthrough they’ve gone from good program to elite. The expanded playoff allows more programs a chance to make that same breakthrough- winning leads to better recruiting. Who knows? Maybe the expansion won’t change recruiting at all. But it does offer many more programs a seat at the table to win by competing for a championship.

Also, I am not a strong proponent of the 12 team playoff. But I do think the current system is leading cfb down the wrong road. The past few seasons have been really underwhelming imo as a pretty neutral but avid fan

*VK Shake*

I might be a bit jaded as I follow recruiting avidly year round and I’ve seen the ups and downs

Think about USC. They’ve been better recently but If the can’t keep kids in California that’s on them. The playoff has nothing against the P12.
It’s called don’t suck. You think if USC was remotely good they keep those uniforms out the game? Same for Texas.

I don’t have all the answers but just batting things around

Think about USC. They’ve been better recently but If the can’t keep kids in California that’s on them. The playoff has nothing against the P12.
It’s called don’t suck. You think if USC was remotely good they keep those uniforms out the game? Same for Texas.

I don’t have all the answers but just batting things around
Pretty good article on the athletic about this today, 40% increase in top 100 recruits going out of state compared to a decade ago. Technology has been a huge driver

Regular season gonna mean so much for every team in top 25 into november makes the season a lot more fun

It will mean so much more for teams like Texas A&M, Georgia and Florida because Alabama beat them all in 2020, yet those would be 3 SEC wildcard teams who get into a 12 team playoff.

It's awful. What consequence is there playing; winning or losing those games then at all?

They have to expand the field enough to get more TV revenue, that is all it is - integrity and merit go out the window for growth and chasing more money. Such is life. The college football post season is the least important and least relevant aspect of the sport and doing this might excite some people, but it is terrible for the greatest teams who actually earn and play their way into a shot at the title.

Indiana!?!? Indi-fucking-ana with a national title opportunity for finishing second in their own division (which was historically bad in 2020). They lose their toughest game of the year vs their highest quality opponent, yet somehow that should be rewarded?

12 team playoff like this is a total joke.

I can compromise on playoff expansion; it is very simple. Too simple and not enough human manipulation and not enough money for the power 5 conferences and teams so it will never ever be implemented. But it is simple, win your conference, earn a berth into the playoff. Sure there are undeserving power 5 and group of 5 conference champions that will get a seat a the table, but here is the thing - every single team in a conference will know what they have to do and every single team will control their own destiny. No human cherry picking, bias and favoritism. Don't belong to a conference? Not eligible. Done. You want to stay independent, that is fine, but ineligible for the national championship. Join a conference to gain access. By doing it this way the regular season and the conference championship race IS the playoff to qualify for the playoff. Makes soooo much more sense. No atlarge bids, never ever. No multiple teams from the same conference, never ever.

Actually I'm somewhat ok with the current system. I'd change it to the the 4 highest conference champions. The committee blows, but if they did a BCS type metric to pick the 4 highest conference champions I would be a happy man. And in all honesty, if they just went back and voted on a champion, well that is better in my opinion than a 12 team playoff.

Back