• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Texas And Oklahoma SEC Rumors…..again

Zero chance the SEC adds to whatever Texas and OU were paying, if they fail to win and have people get drafted they will be Arkansas

It's not that simple, I can name several. Bad idea if that's the motive

Were they struggling in recruiting?
To me they were. Not knocking anyone and I’m sure someone will come in here and tell me it was all coaching but I can’t buy that.
Oklahoma out recruits them in my opinion and I think we can say the B12 is/has been a step behind some other conferences. So you are UT and OK is your only concern really and what’s happened the last 10 years?

I’m sure you can pull rankings and see some decent classes, sure. I would think kids on the fence about going to UT possibly would maybe be swayed by them being in the SEC.

You don’t think it helps them? Go look at what Oklahoma has on deck in recruiting, next year.

Curious as to how you see this being more national if it happens

I miss the BCS too. And increasingly I miss pre-BCS.

To your question, there is an obvious geographical erosion that has been taking place. This matters little to the people who make changes, but South Eastern Conference with an Oklahoma or Texas school (or Missouri or Arkansas)...or ACC with Louisville...or PAC 12 with Colorado and Utah. It's not my intention to get into that whole conference alignment thing but I think you know the point. There is less and less geographic affiliation with the conferences.

That may or may not matter to me, you or the next guy, but the tradition, the rivalries the feeling of belonging to something for the alumni and fans is forever changed when these changes take place. West Virginia in the Big Xll (for now), Maryland in the B1G? Sure, these changes have taken place over the course of time. We remember the SWC, the WAC, the Big East - difference is now there are no big moves to be made. And the raiding of conferences, get ours before they get theirs, maximize revenue mentality is what we are left with.

So how is it more national now? Quite simple. The South Eastern Conference pulls in two national brands - Texas and Oklahoma. How many people who watch Florida play Georgia or watch LSU play Auburn actually care what happens in a Big Xll game before or after their game? How many people at or watching the Red River Shootout care that Alabama is playing fill in the blank school. Now, by making Texas and OU part of their 'group' they bring all these fans into the mix who otherwise wouldn't really give a damn. It broadens everyone's awareness and interest in a different school, a different region outside of their footprint.

Texas and Oklahoma are recognizable brands and in that part of the country those schools dominate everything - K St fan? You circle when you play Texas and OU. What now? Oh, but think of all the new and exciting games...OU vs Miss St and Texas vs Tennesee (whohoo) - the media partners will milk everything they can get for all it's worth. All that matters really is that it is new and marketable and it is theirs. This is just as much about ESPN vs Fox for dominance and ad revenue as it is anything else. Jesus Christ this whole thing blows. Keep moving the chess pieces around the board, and what was once a very regional sport without much national attention relatively speaking gains significant national interest at the expense of the regional viewers - like how many WVU fans are better served by their inclusion in the Big Xll vs the Big East? Doesn't matter because Fox can market Texas vs WVU - or they could, now they fucked thanks to ESPN - it's part of the plan. And it is because the regional viewers have no connection to the other teams outside of their footprint. Oh sure, OU fans, they will watch whomever their team is playing. But the companies like ESPN can paint a school like Texas or Oklahoma as the must watch thing, they will market the hell out of a Texas vs Ole Miss game. A Texas vs Ole Miss game is better than a Arkansas vs Ole Miss game.

Players come and go in this sport. Coaches come and go in this sport. What is constant? Alumni and fans. They have experiences and memories - TV don't care about that - they care about eyeballs and selling ads...Texas vs Alabama on October 29th sounds great to them. To the casual fan, sure who wouldn;t want to see Alabama play Texas or Oklahoma play LSU on a semi-consistent basis? Well me for one. I don't need it, don't want it. Alabama should be in their lane and Texas should be in their lane. Put them together? Hell why not just combine the top of all the P5 leagues and piss on everyone else. This scenario gets more likely each year.

KJ, Iowa State plays teams in their region. That is the way it has been. The occasional out of conference game is a treat, it is rare, it is exciting because it is different, but the goal is to be the best among your peers. The whole thing has been put on it's head and it's just been heading this way for a while. Beating Nebraska meant something for ISU when it was a Big 8/Big Xll game. You going to have the same feel for beating Purdue?

A marketable game for the TV networks is all that matters. Texas vs TCU only moves the needle so far. Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State only moves the needle so far. Oh, we may think those are great matchups, let me ask you, how many times have you been at an Iron Bowl party or OSU-Michigan party and most of the people there didn't give a damn about the game before or after their game? Auburn - Alabama doesn't matter that much in the north. Ohio State - Michigan doesn't matter that much in the south - it's just a game on before or after the main event for these northern or southern fans. TV wants to break that up, because they need more viewers so they can sell more ads and ask for more money for those ads. They need something closer to the NFL where the team name attracts the viewers, so then they have to have better games for those team names to play against. OU vs Baylor ain't getting it for them.

There has always been games played with teams from across the country. But they were special, they were an event, rare. Now with 1000 miles between conference opponents it becomes more, normal, not special, not after the shine wears off atleast, then they'll be on the next thing to push the envelope of growth.

Take a look at the landscape of major and group-of-5 FBS college football and it is littered with the death of regional ties of the sport. PAC 12 has to try and attract anyone to watch their games - the Big Ten has to expand into east coast markets for revenue - the SEC has to try and stay on top at all costs. It is national now more than ever and it is only going more so in that direction - conference expansion and BCS-4 team playoff-to 12 team playoff is all a means to that end. The regional sport we grew up with is dead.

Great post sk.

Losing Bedlam would suck. Probably comparable to what guys in my region felt about losing Maryland vs Duke in basketball

I was drunk last night, that was a lot longer than it needed to be. Everyone is losing their identity and chasing revenue and growth - the sport is taking on a more national approach than ever. Some might call that progress and evolution, it's just not what attracts me to the sport and has an effect of pushing me away. If Ivy League football were easier to prepare for, watch and bet I would probably just follow Ivy League, it seems to have everything I want without the BS of major college football.

I was drunk last night, that was a lot longer than it needed to be. Everyone is losing their identity and chasing revenue and growth - the sport is taking on a more national approach than ever. Some might call that progress and evolution, it's just not what attracts me to the sport and has an effect of pushing me away. If Ivy League football were easier to prepare for, watch and bet I would probably just follow Ivy League, it seems to have everything I want without the BS of major college football.
I'm just impressed you wrote that under the influence.

Thought about this last night when I was really high but now that I’m sober it still plays I think...this is basically a smaller scale version of the European super league stuff from a few months ago. In the sense that teams are giving up on traditional rivalries and geographic ties for more tv revenue and greed. I’m kind of disappointed there doesn’t seem to be many people upset by this in terms of overall public reception, prominent figures, etc like there was with the super league news

The more news that comes out the slimier it gets. For six months the SEC worked at getting this deal done and while they allowed some schools to know what was going on they kept it a secret from Texas A&M.

In addition, when the Aggies joined the SEC they got a promise from the conference they would be able to veto adding Texas if the Horns ever sought membership. When the Aggies found out about the negotiations and confronted the conference suits they told the Aggies they will no longer honor the agreement

Meanwhile, for six months OU and Texas have pretended they were loyal members of the Big 12, sat on committees making plans for future business decisions, joined conference calls discussing Big 12 business decisions, knowing the secrets of where negotiations stand on TV contracts, marketing, building plans, everything every school was doing. Learning all the secrets every business entity has, using their position to meet and cultivate relationships with networks, sponsors, digital business, under the guise of working for Big 12 interests, then getting on the phone with the SEC and using their knowledge to furthering SEC interests

Stealing business trade secrets is a Federal crime and a state crime with hefty fines and jail terms.

It's the same old story, same thing as Baylor and Penn State. The suits think they are free to do anything, no matter how immoral, cover up any illegal acts, break any law, because they are doing it to "protect the institution." Catholic church did the same thing.

They usually get away with it, but as the Penn State president learned, sometimes they face justice.

Hope it happens to the suits at OU and Texas

Last edited:
I was so stoned, going to have to catch up

Pretty knew with this stuff and need to find my stride instead of sprint all day...so rare it rains like it was and seemed like night all day yesterday. Newsflash: don't start smoking in the morning, was a first ffs

Think we're on the same page but defining it differently

Thought about this last night when I was really high but now that I’m sober it still plays I think...this is basically a smaller scale version of the European super league stuff from a few months ago. In the sense that teams are giving up on traditional rivalries and geographic ties for more tv revenue and greed. I’m kind of disappointed there doesn’t seem to be many people upset by this in terms of overall public reception, prominent figures, etc like there was with the super league news

Very little negative reaction. Instead more like "this will be awesome think of all the great games" - those are the consumers the media is selling to. Us traditionalists are either smaller in number, less vocal, or simply don't matter much.

It doesn't really sound like a stretch to think someday there might be SEC football, FBS football, FCS football, Dll, Dlll, etc - the SEC could be their own thing, maybe some day they will have 32 teams in the SEC for all we know...there is nothing to stop them. I do think that the 130 team FBS needs further divided and classified, but I have absolutely no interest in seeing the elites just form their own thing. There will still be areas in the sport we can go for tradition and rivalries and players who play for love of game rather than a paycheck, we'll just have to look harder and dig deeper.

As for Oklahoma making the playoff, I'm sure they will be in all the time if they win a division or pod or not...The SEC will get probably 5 or 6 teams in a 12 team playoff now. What the hell is the point? Just more games / more inventory to sell. Pretty sad.

OU has been recruiting at a top 5/10 level, I imagine being in the SEC will increase that. Not to mention what their ‘23 class has the chance to turn in to.
Texags has been great to read though.
Jamarcus Russell was a #1 pick.

The totals in conference were outrageous last year, think of what they 'll be if these enter the league.

OU has been recruiting at a top 5/10 level, I imagine being in the SEC will increase that. Not to mention what their ‘23 class has the chance to turn in to.
Texags has been great to read though.
If 23 goes like it seems, on paper it’s up there with the big big classes.

That’s what I was referring to up there

Very little negative reaction. Instead more like "this will be awesome think of all the great games" - those are the consumers the media is selling to. Us traditionalists are either smaller in number, less vocal, or simply don't matter much.

It doesn't really sound like a stretch to think someday there might be SEC football, FBS football, FCS football, Dll, Dlll, etc - the SEC could be their own thing, maybe some day they will have 32 teams in the SEC for all we know...there is nothing to stop them. I do think that the 130 team FBS needs further divided and classified, but I have absolutely no interest in seeing the elites just form their own thing. There will still be areas in the sport we can go for tradition and rivalries and players who play for love of game rather than a paycheck, we'll just have to look harder and dig deeper.

As for Oklahoma making the playoff, I'm sure they will be in all the time if they win a division or pod or not...The SEC will get probably 5 or 6 teams in a 12 team playoff now. What the hell is the point? Just more games / more inventory to sell. Pretty sad.
The concept of putting the best teams in a super conference was just tried and failed miserably in European soccer this year, as in fans backlashed at their teams. Now maybe this is why it would work in the US, I don't know...but elimination of the NCAA's power is a positive thing for me, the problem is that the power will land elsewhere. I could see 4 16-team conferences that would basically end up as North/Midwest (obv big ten) East (ACC) South (SEC) and West with the Pac but have fun basically building a new NCAA if that happens. There will still need to be a governing body if they really want to match up for a true national champion.

Found this on FB, there are literally some people who can't grasp the concept of the B12 folding, conference honks are a hilarious evil :p:drinkingcouch: Conference.jpg

Did the Rutgers B10 move for “NY/NJ television” type shit ever pay dividends? Wasn’t that a huge talking point at the time?

Gotta think the B10 wants Kansas
Will give them a good audience from KC but that's really such a hoops fan base, no clue how hard they press. Apparently KU and ISU offer the AAU affiliation they'd consider. But so much speculation right now.

If the Big 10 wanted Kansas, they would be in. They may take them as a free agent instead of having to buy them. It's not a great addition but maybe they think they need to get bigger. Sharing your money with schools is not such a great idea unless you can convince ESPN to give you more. ESPN basically makes all these decisions.

If the Big 10 wanted Kansas, they would be in. They may take them as a free agent instead of having to buy them. It's not a great addition but maybe they think they need to get bigger. Sharing your money with schools is not such a great idea unless you can convince ESPN to give you more. ESPN basically makes all these decisions.
Why I'm saying one super conference will likely make 4 super conferences of 16, 64 is always a desirable number in the big picture

Doubt they *want* anything in the B1G but if it's going to happen anyway, they'll be smart about it I'd think, don't want to be the last man standing when the others go hard

Be a nice basketball addition and decent football win most years. Iowa St seems the other too.
WVU back to ACC….

Up north the rumors tonight are Kansas and Virginia big ten... Virginia is very interested apparently... Basically would replace PSU though if they go to acc...

Just food for fodder.

Virginia vs. Maryland would become an annual thing again, that was a fun border battle. But I can't imagine Charlottesville getting up for any Big Ten school the way it did for Duke. Speaking of basketball of course. (And that's not a knock on Michigan or Sparty...it's just...Duke)

But holy crap...what would happen to Virginia/Virginia Tech...that needs to happen regularly

Big Ten likes good academic schools, so Virginia checks that box.

Virginia vs. Maryland would become an annual thing again, that was a fun border battle. But I can't imagine Charlottesville getting up for any Big Ten school the way it did for Duke. Speaking of basketball of course. (And that's not a knock on Michigan or Sparty...it's just...Duke)

Big Ten likes good academic schools, so Virginia checks that box.
Allegedly the reason KU and ISU reached out is the B1G is very selective academically (we all know that) and ties with AAU (big thing for Nebraska at the time)

Not like anyone knows anything, but taking the bull by the horns should be priority number one

I would miss the KU and K-State guys bashing each other annually on the basketball court (and on CTG lol).... I hope these major (in-state) rivalries would still take place annually, they're easily the most fun partly because it's an utter intensification of guys being motivated to play for their school and because they hate the other guys' guts.

Haven't been.

Struggling at developing talent. Turning 5-stars into 3-stars by the time they're done.

Cautiously optimistic about this staff given their very recent roots.
Sark on 6th Street would be incredible

And let him do it, he will destroy if no one is judging

So they announced their exit from the BDF. It's on like donkey kong.
o/u on when the BDF commish resigns/fired?

So they announced their exit from the BDF. It's on like donkey kong.
o/u on when the BDF commish resigns/fired?
The conference shouldn't have been existing for years, always felt like some kind of tax write off

Now it finally won't exist, good riddance. At least ISU are more attractive than we were several years ago

The conference shouldn't have been existing for years, always felt like some kind of tax write off

Now it finally won't exist, good riddance. At least ISU are more attractive than we were several years ago
you're best chance to win the conference, but it will be in the MAC/sunbelt.
enjoy

you're best chance to win the conference, but it will be in the MAC/sunbelt.
enjoy
Pretty sure we end up in the Big 10 but that's because they like us. I don't like it. But being independent and not named Notre Dame is an issue.

More I hear it's B10 as opposed to P12 for us and Kansas

Fortunately unlike many others, ISU's athletic department has their shit together

As a result of this, I might expect some Big Xll officials will have an unfavorable view on Texas and Oklahoma in their games this year or however long they remain. That's always kind of the conspiracy of things that leagues who don't like something or someone, or want to influence a certain outcome that certain refs do certain things in games.

As a result of this, I might expect some Big Xll officials will have an unfavorable view on Texas and Oklahoma in their games this year or however long they remain. That's always kind of the conspiracy of things that leagues who don't like something or someone, or want to influence a certain outcome that certain refs do certain things in games.
Great point and one that should not be discounted. That leagues officials are awful to begin with. Hey @cubsker , how did Braska get officiated after their announcement? I seem to remember a certain championship game (not sure if that was before or not).

watch 2010 nebraska/texas a&m if you want to see a rigged game. greg burks, who now is the head of big 12 officiating, fucked us all night long. pretty sure texas controls him, so they'll probably be fine.

Back