• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Potential Rule Changes

Some really good ones there

The ravens have always made really interesting proposals I remember reading in a peter king column a few years ago

The one about expanding jersey numbers is easy and doesnt hurt anything

Number 4 is the kind of eye in the sky ref which is also good and saves a ton of time

8 and 9 are the really cool ones I'd love to see them try

The 4th and 15 instead of onside kick, either change the onside rules back or do this, no brainer

The proposed new ot rule is super interesting and fun game theory to think about, I remember reading when it came out last month some ideas on twitter

Basically if you win the toss, you propose the spot on the field and the other team chooses whether they want to go offense or defense

So if you say, the 40 yard line, the team has to choose if they want to start on offense or defense with 60 yards to go, sudden death.

But the fun stuff is like what do you do if you're playing the chiefs... how far back would you need to put it for them to choose defense? If you put it at the 1, would they still go with mahomes at his own 1, or do they then play defense?

Reactions: KJ
Some really good ones there

The ravens have always made really interesting proposals I remember reading in a peter king column a few years ago

The one about expanding jersey numbers is easy and doesnt hurt anything

Number 4 is the kind of eye in the sky ref which is also good and saves a ton of time

8 and 9 are the really cool ones I'd love to see them try

The 4th and 15 instead of onside kick, either change the onside rules back or do this, no brainer
I like all of them except the 4th and 15 one. It just devalues special teams too much imo. Strongly agree that it should go back to the old rules for onside kicks and it appears they’re trending in the right direction there with #3

One change I’ve never seen proposed, and it surprises me, is penalty yardage when inside your own end that results in a half the distance to the goal enforcement. That’s an advantage, in a sense, for the team that committed the penalty, as they may only be penalized 6 yards (or 7, 4, whatever) as opposed to the full 10.

Why not just move the first down marker up in accordance with the new spot...making it a full 10 yard penalty? If you’re on the 12 yard line and get a holding penalty, you move the ball back to the 6 yard line, but also move the 1st down spot from the 22 to the 26...so you now have to go 20 yards to get the first down (as opposed to 16, as it works currently). Seems to make tons of sense, which is why it’s surprising no one has proposed it.

I like all of them except the 4th and 15 one. It just devalues special teams too much imo. Strongly agree that it should go back to the old rules for onside kicks and it appears they’re trending in the right direction there with #3
I can't see any chance they ever go back to the old onside rule, way too much liability with the running crash

I hate the idea of 4th and 15 gets you the ball back. You know how fucked up games would get? I don’t want to make it easier for teams to come back when they down 20, they don’t deserve to come back. Not sure why we changing the game to make teams who got beat have a better chance to win a game they don’t deserve? Well I know why, cause they care about ratings more than fairness!!

Da Raiders D Is Begging To Keep The Onside Kick. I Bet Teams Would Be 50/60% On 4th And 15 vs Them!

yep, It would be a awful rule. Dunno how many more things I can take before I’m just done with this sport completely? It has already fallen down my list, I stopped buying the Sunday ticket a few years back, even traded days to fall saturdays being the day I told the woman i would want to have to myself for watching tv all day! Right now I still follow but they only a few more dumb ass things away from me not caring at all! I know this threat doesn’t matter to them but whatever.

The proposed new ot rule is super interesting and fun game theory to think about, I remember reading when it came out last month some ideas on twitter

Basically if you win the toss, you propose the spot on the field and the other team chooses whether they want to go offense or defense

So if you say, the 40 yard line, the team has to choose if they want to start on offense or defense with 60 yards to go, sudden death.

But the fun stuff is like what do you do if you're playing the chiefs... how far back would you need to put it for them to choose defense? If you put it at the 1, would they still go with mahomes at his own 1, or do they then play defense?
With it returning to sudden death I would tend to think most all teams would assume the other team will want the ball at all costs, so the scenario for every OT will be putting a team at their own 2 or 5 yard line. Only one or two teams might have the balls to think their defense can force a quick 3 and out and choose to not to take the ball. Even crap offenses think they can move the ball if needed.

That choose the spot scenario was always more interesting for a kickoff to start OT. Then a team could at least give themselves a chance at possession with an onside kick. Now with the rules tilted for the offense every team will want the ball either way.

With it returning to sudden death I would tend to think most all teams would assume the other team will want the ball at all costs, so the scenario for every OT will be putting a team at their own 2 or 5 yard line. Only one or two teams might have the balls to think their defense can force a quick 3 and out and choose to not to take the ball. Even crap offenses think they can move the ball if needed.

That choose the spot scenario was always more interesting for a kickoff to start OT. Then a team could at least give themselves a chance at possession with an onside kick. Now with the rules tilted for the offense every team will want the ball either way.
I think with choose the spot it would have to be td only, no field goals

I thought it was just 1 series too, either the offense wins, or defense wins

Back