• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] First we'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we have experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

NHL offseason ingame

guaranteeed

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Bettman says plan to start new season on January 1, perfect

This draft gets real interesting at 2, byfield or stutzle for LA

Top 8 seems set in terms of being where the first tier ends, but in what order?

Didn't like sens going Sanderson before drysdale

Sabres passing on rossi and perfetti is crazy talk, most rankings had Quinn in the teens

Didn't like sens going Sanderson before drysdale

Sabres passing on rossi and perfetti is crazy talk, most rankings had Quinn in the teens

They don’t need a C, they need a W. That’s the only reason they went with Quinn. More than likely it will end up being a bad move, the franchise is a dumpster fire with Pegula at the helm.

Surprised at the lack of deals, wonder if we see more coming up to friday, seems like a lot of teams looking to dump salary

The lightning have made everyone but their core 4 available

The coyotes wanna trade OEL and he said only if its boston or Vancouver so they are getting lowballed, his agent also said if it's not done by friday hes not waiving

A few random predictions

Petro signs with the leafs
Laine gets traded to philly
Gaudreau traded to buffalo
Hall to colorado on a 2 or 3 year deal

Super surprised by lack of trades last night.
Vegas absolutely has to move Fleury. Heard they were offering him and a 2nd for no one in return and teams were demanding a 1st. They are going to have to do this, and frankly there is a glut of goaltenders on the market, they are screwed.
Bolts are going to move Tyler Johnson. They need to clear cap space for their RFA's. I think they trade Stamkos too for the right price.
I am not sure the deal with OEL, and frankly I only see him play 2-3 games/year because it's the Yotes and well, no one wants to watch them, but every time I've seen him, he's been a very good player. I guess that salary is a killer, but if he's only looking to one of two teams, he's not getting moved. It's not like they are a player or two from being a contender.
I was a bit surprised the Rangers moved up to get Schneider, as frankly I'm not all that familiar with him and the Rangers have a pretty solid pipeline of young d-men (I thought they moved up to take a chance on Lapierre), but I think this move means something else is in the works. De'Angelo is a RFA and is a very appealing piece to a trade, imho and the Rangers need a #2 center pretty badly as Strome, Chytyl and Howden are not the answer. Rangers have cap room, and I could see them offering say Strome and De'Angelo and a possible pick and that would fetch a very good return. Rangers have got to be thinking a run is over the next 1-4 years and they really should be going for it.

Vegas absolutely has to move Fleury. Heard they were offering him and a 2nd for no one in return and teams were demanding a 1st. They are going to have to do this, and frankly there is a glut of goaltenders on the market, they are screwed.
Bolts are going to move Tyler Johnson. They need to clear cap space for their RFA's. I think they trade Stamkos too for the right price.
I am not sure the deal with OEL, and frankly I only see him play 2-3 games/year because it's the Yotes and well, no one wants to watch them, but every time I've seen him, he's been a very good player. I guess that salary is a killer, but if he's only looking to one of two teams, he's not getting moved. It's not like they are a player or two from being a contender.
I was a bit surprised the Rangers moved up to get Schneider, as frankly I'm not all that familiar with him and the Rangers have a pretty solid pipeline of young d-men (I thought they moved up to take a chance on Lapierre), but I think this move means something else is in the works. De'Angelo is a RFA and is a very appealing piece to a trade, imho and the Rangers need a #2 center pretty badly as Strome, Chytyl and Howden are not the answer. Rangers have cap room, and I could see them offering say Strome and De'Angelo and a possible pick and that would fetch a very good return. Rangers have got to be thinking a run is over the next 1-4 years and they really should be going for it.
The Rangers are run by idiots and are just lucky they won the lottery and couldn't screw it up. The Schneider pick was terrible. DeAngelo is a great player and should be signed long term while they find a sucker to take Trouba off their hands.

Chytil can be the number two center but they won't give him the chance. Strome should have been moved for a second round pick and Howden is not an NHL player much less a second line center.

Johnson and Stamkos wouldn't be super expensive

They need to cut cap space, have to, and both have full nmc

So if they wanna move either, has to be somewhere they want, and in a flat cap world that's gonna limit options

Johnson and Stamkos wouldn't be super expensive

They need to cut cap space, have to, and both have full nmc

So if they wanna move either, has to be somewhere they want, and in a flat cap world that's gonna limit options
Any team that trades for either of them is nuts so I expect the Rangers to get Stamkos. The guy is great but always injured and certainly not worth his cap hit.

I wonder if a team on tyler Johnson's no trade list, said they'd claim him on waivers

Has to be that

If he doesn't get claimed Tampa would have to take a big cap hit.
Ya, they'd be able to send him to minors if they wanted, but that only cuts out I think 900k?

So they must know someone will take him, seeing some guys say Ottawa or Detroit

Holtby to canucks

4.3m for 2 years

Really good deal imo, hes a vet 1b behind demko, if demko struggles we have dipietro in the ahl who on goalie prospect lists is a top 3 guy

Sounds like markstrom to the flames is likely, huge upgrade for them

Oilers may be fucked

It's like for every piece of good luck, the last two lottos, or good moves, signing the bread man

They plan to have one of if not the worst d men in the league playing 18 mins a night

Fox and DeAngelo aren't great defensively, maybe this is being done to make them look better by comparison?

Team is loaded in net

Top 6 is gonna be incredible with panarin, z, kaako, and lafreniere. Good depth in bottom 6 if a few young guys make a leap

Defense is gonna be a shit show tho

The Johnson deal is 1 year, 1.15Million. Not exactly killer. They were paying Staal more than 5x that amount. They are paying Brendon Smith 4x that much.
I think at this point they are just needing some warm bodies and veterans just in case, because it's a shit load easier to get them now then it is mid-season.
Assuming they resign DeAngelo, they'll have Fox, Lindgren, Trouba and DeAngelo as their top 4. That is solid (All 26 years and younger). Then they'll rotate around the likes of Smith, Johnson, Hajek (who was good before he got hurt last year). They are pretty high on a few guys playing internationally who are just bout NHL ready - and then they have K'Andre Miller, Robertson and just drafted Schneider in the pipeline.
I don't love the Johnson deal, but he is not going to get 18 minutes a night, he's not a top 4 dman on this team.
If the Rangers can get a #2 center, and not have to move DeAngelo and re-sign Lemieux, I think they'll be on the cusp of a SC contender for the next 4 years or so.

Fox and DeAngelo aren't great defensively, maybe this is being done to make them look better by comparison?

Team is loaded in net

Top 6 is gonna be incredible with panarin, z, kaako, and lafreniere. Good depth in bottom 6 if a few young guys make a leap

Defense is gonna be a shit show tho
Fox is more than fine defensively. DeAngelo is a little weak in his own end but he makes up for it by driving offense. The defenseman that really sucks is Trouba and his 8 million dollar salary is a travesty.

The Johnson deal is 1 year, 1.15Million. Not exactly killer. They were paying Staal more than 5x that amount. They are paying Brendon Smith 4x that much.
I think at this point they are just needing some warm bodies and veterans just in case, because it's a shit load easier to get them now then it is mid-season.
Assuming they resign DeAngelo, they'll have Fox, Lindgren, Trouba and DeAngelo as their top 4. That is solid (All 26 years and younger). Then they'll rotate around the likes of Smith, Johnson, Hajek (who was good before he got hurt last year). They are pretty high on a few guys playing internationally who are just bout NHL ready - and then they have K'Andre Miller, Robertson and just drafted Schneider in the pipeline.
I don't love the Johnson deal, but he is not going to get 18 minutes a night, he's not a top 4 dman on this team.
If the Rangers can get a #2 center, and not have to move DeAngelo and re-sign Lemieux, I think they'll be on the cusp of a SC contender for the next 4 years or so.
I am not sure if you are a Rangers fan or not but you got quite a few things wrong in my opinion. The money for Johnson is not the issue its that they signed him at all and plan to actually put him in the lineup. He is arguably the worst defenseman in the league and a big example that the front office led by JD and Gorton is clueless.

DeAngelo is probably getting traded because this team does not know how to manage their assets and they actually believe that Trouba is not the worthless player that he really is. The one comment that really got me was about Hajek who was beyond terrible when he played.

The Rangers lucked out that they won the lottery and that Panarin wanted to be here but the vast majority of the moves they make are terrible. You could have the Edmonton 80s roster and they would flop with David Quinn coaching them. Just a terrible organization from top to bottom that will probbaly never win a thing.

Fox is more than fine defensively. DeAngelo is a little weak in his own end but he makes up for it by driving offense. The defenseman that really sucks is Trouba and his 8 million dollar salary is a travesty.
I'd say fox is average and tony d way below

They are both net positives for sure, fox way more so hes a top pairing guy imo, but teams just need st least a pair that can play solid defensive hockey if they wanna win in the playoffs

Agree on JJ, cap doesn't matter, the fact that hes playing does

Also to Dylans point, hes not top 4, but hes still getting 16-19 mins a night in the regular season, you can't have the top pairings playing 25 mins in the regular season, unless they are a guy like Petro, hedman etc.

Krug to st Louis so petro is gone

Krug kinda called out boston too, said there was no communication

Leafs signed brodie for 5m a year, very good deal imo, hes a perfect guy to pair with Reilly, he already kinda had the same partner in Giordano and they were one of the best pairings in the league a few years ago

So favorites for petro right now are vegas, but colorado could push, and Vancouver was mentioned too since the OEL deal is dead, but they'd need to move out salary, so would vegas though

Hall always planned to take meetings today and decide in a few days, lebrun said probably nothing on him until sunday

Flames way overpaying on tanev, 4.5 x4 years, hes just beat up, took so much over the years blocking shots and taking hits

I'd say fox is average and tony d way below

They are both net positives for sure, fox way more so hes a top pairing guy imo, but teams just need st least a pair that can play solid defensive hockey if they wanna win in the playoffs

Agree on JJ, cap doesn't matter, the fact that hes playing does

Also to Dylans point, hes not top 4, but hes still getting 16-19 mins a night in the regular season, you can't have the top pairings playing 25 mins in the regular season, unless they are a guy like Petro, hedman etc.
Every offseason the Rangers sign a few guys like Johnson that don't even belong in the league and give them big roles. There is this crazy idea that the reason the team sucks is because they aren't tough enough and are "too easy to play against". Larry Brooks has been pushing this for years and was practically begging them to trade Buchnevich who is a top 6 forward for Josh Anderson.

The Rangers are in fact terrible because David Quinn is the worst coach in the league and relies on all the wrong players such as Brett Howden who should be on the 4th line in the AHL. The only good moves this team makes are ones handed to them like drafting Lafreiniere or trading for Fox who was only willing to play for the Rangers. I apologize for my rants but I have had it with this franchise.

I think I prefer Krug at 6.5 million over Pietrangelo who is looking for over 8. In a salary cap league every dollar counts so I like St Louis saving money and still ending up with a quality replacement for Pietrangelo.

Jesper Fast to Carolina for 3 yrs 2 million per season. At this price its a great deal for a solid 3rd/4th liner who plays well in big games.

Edmonton getting Barrie for one year at 3.75 million is a great value signing.
Ya, it's good for him too

Hes gonna go there and put up 60 points as a pp qb that has McDavid and draisaitl on it, and someone's gonna offer him a big deal next offseason

Colorado getting Saad from the hawks, who are going full rebuild it seems... takes them put of hall and petro most likely

Wonder how soon kane wants outta Chicago

Larry better be happy

Eichel can't complain about his linemates anymore

Hall signing a 1 year 8m deal

Petro will be signing in Vegas too, bunch of people saying they will be moving schmidt out to someone to make room

Also remember, vegas doesn't have to participate in the Seattle expansion next year, so they won't be losing anyone there

Petro will be signing in Vegas too, bunch of people saying they will be moving schmidt out to someone to make room

Also remember, vegas doesn't have to participate in the Seattle expansion next year, so they won't be losing anyone there
This now isnt true, andy Strickland was the blues reporter who had this, but now petros former teammate and a tsn guy

Larry better be happy

Eichel can't complain about his linemates anymore

Hall signing a 1 year 8m deal

Lol. I almost posted that Hall should sign with Buffalo, but thought no chance they’re even in the running so thought better of it. Wow.

Met the Messier family. Did you know the patriarch played for Portland’s NHL team? Mark can’t be nicer.

Back