• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Mountain West Information

I put a buck on CSU and half on the Under. Got 14.5, actually after I saw it got as high as 16.5 probably on the Bachmeier news, then at some spots just now it was coming down to 14 flat.

Adazzio is the worst head coach in the MWC. He favors a QB in Centeio that is literally completing less than 30% of his passes. At this point you just have to fade them until they put the dinosaur out to pasture.

Definitely agree their offense as being something of "a work in progress" to put it nicely. I don't think they have the system for O'Brien, don't think they have the running backs for the O they want and they want Centeio to be the QB but he isn't good enough. Their D is improved over prior years, but the O is highly unpredictable now.

New Mexico QB Tevaka Tuioti out with concussion. Has played pretty well. Trae Hall will be QB for Nevada.

Listened to some Gonzalas press conference. This guy is tough. Might not be right for every type of player. He is a no bullshit straight truth type guy.

CB Donte Martin is back this week for his first game of season. 12 starts last year.

Speculation that Andrew Peasley may start at QB for Utah State this week. If so, he can't be any worse than Shelley, but he hasn't performed well in relief so far this year either.

San Jose HC Brent Brennan was a groomsman in UNLV HC Marcus Arroyo's wedding. If San Jose has a chance late to take a knee or punch one in, I might think Brennan opts to kill the clock.

Not sure if Starkel is cleared to play or not.
As much I love sjst I’m no where close to ready to lay those kind of numbers with them. Straight pass for me. I am taking another shot against sdst catching 10.5 w Hawaii.

As much I love sjst I’m no where close to ready to lay those kind of numbers with them. Straight pass for me. I am taking another shot against sdst catching 10.5 w Hawaii.
Flipping the script, I'll be on UNLV

Figure for points in that one too...as good as San Jose receivers are...UNLV pass D will be vulnerable. I'm counting on improved UNLV O to keep it up

Utah State ripped a 86y TD run to lead 6-0, Fresno drove down to take a 7-6 lead, then USU ret'd the ensuing KO...13-7. USU did fumble at the F04, but it almost all Fresno from there 28-16 HT and 35-16 F. USU did fumble at the F28 and SOD at the F10 on their final two drives with 114 of their 343 yards coming on those final two possessions. Fresno outgained them 541-343 (7.2-5.8). Fresno D got 6 sacks. New HC for USU, but outside of two explosive plays for TDs...the O still has the same struggles. Shelley 9-24-144-0-0. Haener 29-38-422-4-1, Rivers 25att-132-TD, 6rec-51y, WR Cropper 10rec-202-3TD!

Boise led 21-0 thanks to a blk'd punt for TD and a blk'd FG returned 91y for TD! CSU cut it to 21-7, but Boise scored 3 more TDs before HT including a second blk'd punt TD! CSU scored to open the 3rd Q and then after recovering a fumble got a short field TD to make it 42-21. Boise scored the final 2 TDs and nobody scored in the 4th Q. With all the nonoffensive TDs from Boise, CSU actually outgained them 315-291 (4.5-4.3) and FDs were even at 15. Boise only ran for 89y (2.4) to CSU's 139 (3.4). Each team got 3 sacks, TFLs were similar 9-8. O'Brien struggled 9-20-140-0-1. Centeio came off the bench to start the 2nd H and he only passed 2-9-36-1-0 and ran 9-12y. Bachmeier 16-28-202-1-0. CSU's leading rusher Vivens had 76y (6.3). Boise's leading rusher was a WR...their top two RBs combined for just 61y (2.75).

Hawaii did not advance across the 50 until their 7th drive of the game. San Diego State struggled at the start, punting 3 straight to open the game, but then got 51 and 62 yard TD runs, got a 3p 13y TD after a fumble recovery and then added a 71y pick-six to lead 28-0 HT. Hawaii fumbled in the 4th allowing SD St to kick a FG off just 1 yard of offense. 34-10 F. TY were 356-272 for SD St...Aztec ran for 369, they passed just 3-13-30-0-2!! Teams struggled on 3rd down UH 3-of-17 and SD 4-of-14. SD St did register 7 sacks!

Nevada started their last game slow and did so again, with punt, SOD NM45, punt on their first 3 possessions. New Mexico took the SOD spot and went 6p 55y to lead 7-0, then drove 7p 44y for a 10-0 lead! Each team got a short field score in the 2nd Q...Nevada got a 1p 33y TD following an INT and NM got a 5p 14y FG following an INT. NM led 13-10 HT. Nev scored two 2nd H TDs while NM struggled to advance much past midfield. Nev led 27-13 (both deep balls to Doubs) before NM scored a TD with under 5min left in the game. NM did get a final chance advancing to the Nev31 with a FD, but would go incomplete on 3 of their last 4 passes. Nev only outgained them 392-352 (6.3-4.6). Strong had his INT streak end at 299 passes without being picked this game.

San Jose went 3-and-out to start and UNLV drove into the RZ but had to kick a FG. San Jose led 17-3. UNLV put in Justin Rogers who led UNLV down for a score...17-10, it was 24-10 HT. UNLV cut it to 24-17, but wouldn't cross midfield on their final 3 possessions and San Jose scored the final 10 points. TY were 457-294 for San Jose. SJ D got 7 sacks! Each team was 50% 3rd down. San Jose didn't quite rotate QBs, but Starkel and Nash each had turns leading the O. Starkel passed 17-28-274-2-1 while Nash only attempted 1 pass, but led the team in rushing 8att-94.

Just some musings:

UNLV does look like they are playing better every week...so them getting 16.5 @ CSU is pretty tempting.

USU is really bad, and now losing the starting QB...but my question is, how much WORSE can the QB play get? The pokes -20.5 seems like an awful lot of points to me.

UNM has looked pretty good against some tougher competition, so that +7.5 against AFA looks good right now.

SJST still kicking ass, but Fresno has looked pretty good with a plus offense. SJST plays good run defense, so Rivers may be slowed down enough to cover that 2.5, but I wouldn't ignore them if someone wanted to take the dawgs and the points.

This is the second or third time in a row that the wolf pack has started slow. I think they are top 3 in the MWC, but it's a concern if it happens against SDST. Maybe the pack was looking ahead to the game against the Aztecs, and I don't have a lean at this time. Gun to my head, Nevada still finishes strong so I'd take them and lay the 1.5...but TBD

Boise getting over 2 TDs is my lean here too, but the game against CSU was more deceiving than it looked....plus, they played three games in like two weeks and now gotta take a billion hour flight to HI? I'm no expert if this should change much, but still gives me something to ponder

Last edited:
Think the Lobos have a good chance to end their 12 game losing streak this week. Their secondary is the main issue and gave up a couple monster games to some pretty good wideouts. No such issues this week.

Rocky Long had great success vs the triple option at SDSU. Hopefully starting qb Tuioti is back this week.

Just some musings:

UNLV does look like they are playing better every week...so them getting 16.5 @ CSU is pretty tempting.

USU is really bad, and now losing the starting QB...but my question is, how much WORSE can the QB play get? The pokes -20.5 seems like an awful lot of points to me.

UNM has looked pretty good against some tougher competition, so that +7.5 against AFA looks good right now.

SJST still kicking ass, but Fresno has looked pretty good with a plus offense. SJST plays good run defense, so Rivers may be slowed down enough to cover that 2.5, but I wouldn't ignore them if someone wanted to take the dawgs and the points.

This is the second or third time in a row that the wolf pack has started slow. I think they are top 3 in the MWC, but it's a concern if it happens against SDST. Maybe the pack was looking ahead to the game against the Aztecs, and I don't have a lean at this time. Gun to my head, Nevada still finishes strong so I'd take them and lay the 1.5...but TBD

Boise getting over 2 TDs is my lean here too, but the game against CSU was more deceiving than it looked....plus, they played three games in like two weeks and now gotta take a billion hour flight to HI? I'm no expert if this should change much, but still gives me something to ponder

Saying that improvement and growth isn't always a straight line up...UNLV took a step back last week. I'm not completely sure how I feel about Rogers. Not sure he will start this week or not. You can see his talent, but at the same time his awareness and movement in the pocket looks slow.

I like the CSU DL and LB units and UNLV OL really struggled last week. Don't like CSU O that much. Kind of a tough game to get a feel for.

Based on some message board talk, I had expected Peasley to start for Utah State, but he didn't play at all (covid?). Not that he did anything in the two previous games to make one think he would be better. Preasley is supposed to be out with Covid this week. Players Mom, I think, on message board says her son WR Jordan Nathan and roommate LB Meitzenheimer out with covid. Who's Mom posts on fan message boards? I don't know. Now it sounds like they are going with rFr Cooper Legas at QB? Guess we'll have to see what he can do, can't be worse than what they have had.

Recaps 11/20 & 11/21

Air Force scored TDs on their first 3 possessions to lead 21-0. New Mexico drove into AF territory 3x in the 1st H but would punt, fumble (at AF34) and miss FG (from AF33). All told NM drove into AF territory 5x and started 3 other possessions in AF territory yet netted zero points missing 4 FGs between two kickers. AF would fumble on 3 consecutive 2nd H possessions and their next one was SOD (at N04). NM did have some chances, but really didn't have the offense as AF outgained them 422-304 (6.2-4.5) including a 356-83 (5.7-3.3) RY edge. AF QB Daniels only attempted 5 passes completing 4 for 66y. He added 55y rushing. NM's Trae Hall got his second start going 23-42-221-0-1, 13y net rushing. NM has lost 13 straight MWC games.

San Diego State started GT transfer QB Lucas Johnson who was more known for his running ability but he had a decent day passing in the 1st H. SD St scored TDs on 3 of their first 5 possessions (other fumble and punt) while Nevada kicked three FGs from the RZ...14-9. Teams traded TDs toward the end of the 2nd Q. 21-16 HT. SD St only gained ONE First Down on SEVEN 2nd H possessions until their final of the game. With Nevada leading 26-21, SD St got a diving INT (tipped off receivers hands) at the N26 with just 3:23 left. 4 plays later SD ST had a 1st and goal at the N05. But after one rush and 3 incompletions Nevada would escape with the 5 point win. Nevada outgained them 376-293 (5.4-4.9). Aztecs had just 39y of O in the 2nd H. SD ST was just 2-of-11 3rd down, Nevada 5-of-16. Teams combined for just 3 TDs on 8 RZ trips. Johnson was 10-14-158-1-0 with a 35y TD run (longest by an Aztec QB ever) in the 1st H. Unfortunately for him he finished 14-24-184-1-0. Strong 31-46-288-2-1. Doubs 5-133-TD. Taua 13-53.

Boise beat Hawaii for the 9th straight time 40-32. Broncos went 3-and-out twice to open and Hawaii led 3-0 kicking a 27y FG. It was all Boise from there scoring 19 unanswered points (2 FGs, 2 TDs xpt blk'd). 19-3 HT. Hawaii came out and drove 13p 87y for TD (2pt no good) to make it 19-9. Avery Williams returned the ensuing KO 99 yards for TD, his 8th of his career and Williams 3rd non-offensive TD in five games this year. Score would be 33-9, but late 3rd Q UH made it 33-17. Just minutes later Boise had a 40-17 lead. UH scored two 4th Q TDs accounting for 136 of their 394 total yards. Boise finished with 408, ypp 6.0-4.7. Hawaii actually finished with a better rush ypc 4.0-3.5 thanks entirely to QB Chevin Cordeiro's running (90y net 5.0). Without RB Holani, Van Buren carried 27-113-2TD. Bachmeier 21-31-278-1-1. Shakir 11-130-2TD.

Need some MWC help for my Turkey Challenge this week....ATS confidence pool with Th/Friday games. Haven’t watched much MWC this year except SD St last week.

AF -5.5 v CSU
NM -5.5 @ Utah St
Wyoming -16.5 @ Vegas

I was going to look at Addazio and done if his staff to see how they played vs GT when at BC. I think CSU D is fairly veteran unit so they have the player experience vs AF. Hard part with CSU is the O. In this game, from if I was a CSU fan perspective I would want O'Brien as they strength lies at WR and TE and I believe AF to be vulnerable there. But I think Addazio wants the mobile QB so that means Centeio and a less accurate passing game meaning their strengths at receiver have less of a chance to impact. It's tough. I plan to bet CSU but have not determined my commitment level yet.

For a football junkie NM-USU actually holds a lot of intrigue although most people won't even think to watch. NM has a pulse I would guess they win but I'm not a fan of laying number saying they will do so even though they should, probably. There is a chance maybe USU comes out improved on O this game with a new QB. Of course it will be a first time QB and Gonzales and Long are defensive geniuses so deck will be stacked against said QB. Way teams are playing, this is a game NM should win. By 6 or more? Yeah I guess, it's just strange having to expect it. It isn't like HF advantage means much this year, NM are nomads this year anyway.

I have not thought about WYO-UNLV yet.

UNLV's opponents are 15-3 (two are undefeated San Jose and Nevada). Tough stretch of games for a team trying to learn who they are and what they want to do.

UNLV's leading returning tackler, MLB Farrell Hester has missed most of this season recovering from injury. He played a couple series vs San Jose. Don't think he'll be starting yet but working back into rotation.

Expect Gilliam and Rodgers to both continue to play QB for UNLV. Gilliam played 1st Q vs San Jose (led UNLV to their first opening drive points of the year) and Rodgers played 2nd - 3rd Q. Both did some things well, both had some frustrating moments. OL was very poor vs San Jose, which San Jose actually has some good mojo going on with their D.

Rodgers didn't show me enough to warrant starting and opportunity to play the entire game yet. If Gilliam can get a little sharper and clean up some mistakes I'd like to see him continue to lead them.

NM Coach Danny Gonzales radio show:

Utah State:

three starters decided to leave Utah State and go into the transfer portal. Those three are senior inside linebacker Cash Gilliam, senior safety Troy Lefeged Jr. and junior wide receiver Deven Thompkins.

Thompkins is Utah State's leading receiver with 20rec-214 and has one of the two TDs their receivers have caught. He has double the catches and nearly triple the yards of this year's #2 receiver. This news on Troy Lefeged would be a big deal as he was last year's #1 tackler, but he only played in two games this year and suffered an injury that was going to see him miss extended time anyway.

Quarterback Andrew Peasley and offensive lineman Demytrick Ali’ifua returned to the team this week after recently testing positive for COVID-19, Maile said. Other players could be cleared to return later in the week.

Offensive coordinator Bodie Reeder is still not back with the team after testing positive, Maile said, adding that running backs coach Dave Schramm will run the offense against the Lobos.

That is from two days ago. Last time we talked about USU QBs it was looking like Legas or possibly Calvin was going to be the top 2 QBs vs WYO after Shelley was dismissed because Peasley had covid. Now Peasley is back but he would've missed a lot of practice time. From what I've seen out of Preasley he wasn't any better than Shelley. He never had a full week of practice as the #1 QB...but with his covid situation he still would've fully have that benefit now either. The fans really want one of the rFr QBs, but the staff may go with Peasley (he was atop this week's depth chart which doesn't always translate to real lineup). Coach Maile said they were going to compete in practice this week.

Recaps 11/26 - 11/28

In a battle of winless teams, Utah State used a 3rd Q explosion to get their first victory. New Mexico led 13-6 HT...USU did fumble near the goal line on a long drive. To open the 3rd Q USU called a fake punt and aided with a horse collar tackle would go on for a TD to tie. After a punt USU quickly went for another TD then partially blk'd the next punt and 3 plays later USU was up 27-13! USU then got a sack/fumble that was returned 21y for TD and in less than 10 minutes Utah St had taken a 34-13 lead! NM did answer, but lost their #2 QB Trae Hall to what looked like a concussion and was replaced with #3 QB Fr Connor Genal who mostly struggled. The game did get a little interesting in the 4th as NM cut it to 7, but on a 3rd down play USU QB Peasley was nearly tackled for loss but scrambled and broke it 62y to make the score 41-27 4min left which was the final. Peasley was named MWC O POW he got his first start and responded with 14-21-239-3-0 and led with 118y rushing. USU outgained them 452-348(7.5-4.6). USU D got 4 sacks. Each team about 50% 3rd down. New Mexico did make both their FGs (were 0-for-4 the prior game).

The Wyoming - UNLV HT score of 17-7 wasn't as close as it looks. WYO led 17-0. UNLV didn't run a play in WYO territory until their final drive of the 1st H, a drive which started on their own 2 and was aided by a personal foul and PI. WY finished the 1st H with a 249-105 yard edge. UNLV had a chance to try and keep it close to open the 3rd but a 4th down play just across the 50 was stopped for a loss. That SOD led to the first of 3 short field TDs for WYO (the other two being after a fumble and INT). WYO led 45-7 before UNLV scored again with under 5min left in the game. WYO outgained them 498-290 (7.0-4.7) including 399-132 (7.0-3.8) rushing. Cowboy RB Valladay left with injury. UNLV started Max Gilliam for the 4th straight game, but this time was relieved for a QB that was not listed on the 3-deep depth chart, freshman Doug Brumfield. Earlier in the week Arroyo had said that Gilliam and Rodgers would continue to split time, but when asked about Rodgers post game Arroyo said his health was a little shaky this past week. The Rebel QBs combined for just 15-27-158-0-1 and were sacked 5x. 3 of those sacks were by LB Chad Muma who was named MWC D POW. Wyoming continues to struggle through the air as well with Levi Williams going just 8-14-99-0-0, but when you can run as good as they can, it doesn't quite matter. 3rd down conversion were 60%-36%.

Colorado wasn't great on O vs a tough Aztec D, but the Buffs D was dominating San Diego State, Buffs leading 14-0 late 2nd Q when CU was attempting to add to their lead, threw a deep out route that was jumped and taken 57y for a pick-six! CU then went 3-and-out and SD St was able to drive for a 48y FG and the game was amazingly 14-10 HT. Prior to their drive for the FG, Aztecs had 32 yards of offense on their previous 5 possessions, they drove 8p 42y for that FG. SD St continued to play tough on D throughout the 2nd H only allowing 36 and 41y FGs...20-10. SD St had a 50y FG blk'd and missed a 44 yarder. The TOTAL yardage for this game was CU 272 (3.3) to SD 155 (2.6). Each ran for a paltry 2.5ypc. SD St played their third QB of the season, after an ineffective Carson Baker was benched, Aztecs turned to an even less effective QB Brookshire who went 7-19-50-0-1, Brookshire did lead the team in rushing 13-50. Leading Aztec RB Greg Bell was out with injury. CU LB Nate Landman was named D POW by Walter Camp Foundation. Noyer 17-29-138-1-1. Broussard 32-124. Le'Von Shenault 6rec-64.

5-0 Nevada was upset at Hawaii 10 years from the last time an undefeated Nevada team (6-0) was beaten in Hawaii. That 2010 team finished 13-1. Hawaii never trailed in this one. Each team only had 7 possessions in the game. Hawaii's defense played coverage, took the deep passing game away and doubled Romeo Doubs instead allowing for short passes and leaving themselves vulnerable to the run, which UNR was happy to take advantage of, UNR ran for 208y (avg coming in was 97y). Nevada had a 7-1/2min drive to open the game result in zero points. UNR went for 4th-and-1 at the H29 and got a big gain inside the 10, but was called for a 15y penalty and they punted. Penalties at key moments hurt Nevada and occasionally helped Hawaii. Nevada is the most penalized team in the MWC (8.3pg 69ypg) with Norvell lamenting post game on the timing of the penalties but conceding it has been a problem for them all season. The 1st Q ended 0-0. Hawaii led 10-7 at HT. UH led by as many as 10 twice in the 2nd H. UNR cut it to 3 with under 6min left, but UH got a 47y KO return to set up field position and a few plays later were faced with a 4th-and-6 at the N26, passing up a FGA, UH went for it and gained 9y. Later on 3rd and 7, UH threw a ball into the EZ which was called PI after which UH was able to kill the clock. Nevada slightly outgained them 376-365 (6.2-5.4). The key to the game was UH converting 3rd downs at a rate of 9-of-14 (64%), UH had struggled to convert 3rd downs since their first game of the season. UNR was 5-of-10 and 2-of-2 on 4th down. UNR was called for 8 penalties for 79y just slightly over their season average, but the timing was definitely poor. Strong 20-25-168-2-0, Taua 20-131-TD....Doubs caught just 1 ball for 10y on a shallow cross. I'm not even sure he had any targets deep. Cordeiro 26-32-246-1-0, leading rusher 15att-62-TD.

Last edited:
New Mexico is down to their 3rd string qb this week vs Wyoming. Going with a walk-on, red shirt freshman, Connor Genal. No bueno.

What do you make of the line 16.5 being the same basically as Wyoming's number at UNLV. Wyoming with back-to-back travel to Las Vegas this week.

I guess UNLV is equal to New Mexico. I thought UNLV O would've or could've had better success vs Wyoming than they did or more than New Mexico might (especially now). But on the other hand I would think that New Mexico's D should offer better resistance than the UNLV unit.

So fewer points out of NM, but maybe fewer out of Wyoming as well. Is the Under 52.5 playable? I tell you what I did lose a small bet on NM vs Utah State last week, but pretty much the entire first half I was kicking myself for "forgetting" I wanted to play that under as well. Turns out I was glad I didn't play it. How does New Mexico score on Wyoming this week? Will they?

The under looked golden last week. Then the 2nd half happened and the D once again no showed.

Also wonder if all this time away, being Team Nomad, has caught up to them. Its gotta be hard trying to get through this season but I dont think they've quit. They've been competent in the 1st half all season. But their lack of depth and frankly, talent, especially in the secondary, catches up to them in the 2nd half.

I was looking at the under, but I'm afraid Wyoming could put up 45 real easy.

Recaps from 12/3 & 12/5

Utah State scored first vs Air Force with their longest drive of the year at 8min+. That was the only scoring the Aggies would do. AF led 21-7 HT and won 35-7. AF punted just once, they were SOD once. AF had a 461-232 (7.2-4.0) TY edge with QB Daniels going 7-9-127-1-0 and adding 47y rushing. AF ran for 334 (6.1). AF was 3-of-4 on 4th down.

San Diego State scored TDs on a punt and KO return and kicked two FGs following CSU turnovers. CSU outgained them 265-247 (4.0-3.4). In a surprise, CSU outrushed them 121-117 (3.2-2.4). Neither team was efficient passing, combined 27-52-274-1-2 and each were an identical 4-of-16 3rd down. SD St RB Greg Bell missed again. The game saw a combined ten 3-and-out punts.

San Jose had their best rushing game in 4 years! 288 rushing yards including 154y in the 1st Q when SJ jumped out to a 21-0 lead! But after 203 yards on their first 3 possessions, SJ's O went stagnant for the rest of the half. UH O finally got going a bit with a long drive for FG then an INT in SJ territory led to a 21-10 HT score. UH actually cut it to 21-17 to open the 3rd Q, but SJ scored TDs on back-to-back drives to go up 35-17 before UH scored TD very late in the 4th Q. 35-24 F. SJ had 468-339 TY edge (6.6-4.8). San Jose is 5-0 for the first time since 1939!

Fresno State played without 15 players including 2 starting OL, 2 DL, 3 Kickers, their punter and every long snapper! The result? Two botched punt attempts on back-to-back possessions (dropped snap and a block) and two missed xpts! Both the botched punts set up UNR for 14 pts and the two missed xpts obviously cost them 2 more points. Still Fresno outgained Nevada 599-413 and ran 105 plays to UNR's 61. Despite the special teams misques in the 1st H and one of the missed xpts, the game was just 24-20 HT. In the 3rd Fresno had a big gain to the N34 but fumbled on the play, but UNR fumbled it back at the F27. Fresno was SOD at midfield, but 5 plays later UNR threw an INT. Fresno has a 1st and goal poised to take the lead, but after an incomplete pass and two runs, on the second play of the 4th Q, Haener was sacked on 4th down! UNR got an 85y TD pass to go up 30-20! Next possession Fresno got as far as the N26, but were sacked on 3rd down and SOD on 4th from the N35. UNR hit a 32y TD pass to go up 37-20! With under 6min to go Fresno converted 4th-and-11 on their way to a TD (xpt no good) with just 1:39 left. Fresno onside kicked and UNR couln't kill all the clock and punted. Fresno ended the game at the N38. Fresno had 2 drives in the 4th Q deep in Nevada territory end in zero points. Ronnie Rivers was injured and did not return.

New Mexico was without all 3 scholarship QBs, so rFr walk-on Connor Genal who finished the game at Utah State was forced to start vs Wyoming. Then Genal was lost at the end of the 1st H to a wrist injury forcing tFr walk-on QB Isaiah Chavez into action. With WYO leading 16-10 in the 4th Q, Chavez hit a receiver down the seam for a 44y TD and a 17-16 lead! Wyoming then lost their QB, but backup Gavin Beerup broke a 38y run down to the NM07, unfortunately for them they would fumble at the 5 with 3min left. NM punted, but now forced to throw, the WYO QB threw 3 incomplete passes then an INT on 4th down to end the game. Wyoming was just 1-of-11 3rd down (0-for-6 in 2nd H)!! They also went just 1-of-3 4th down! WYO outgained them 374-315 (6.8-4.6). Cowboys were in the RZ 4x and only got three FGs out of it.

Chavez is scheduled to start for UNM this Saturday vs Fresno. Smh. A RB will be his back up.

Fresno O will be much more threatening than Wyoming. Not sure on Ronnie Rivers status.

Got to love that New Mexico D last week huh?

Blake Anderson will be named Utah State head coach. Tough spot for interim Frank Maile (he's played there and was DC).

Seems like they having a rough year, I havnt followed them nearly as closely as I had last few years so no clue what the issues are?

Yes offensively challenged when they can't just line up and run run run and run some more. The drop off between QB1 and QB2 I thought was negligible. But I expect the dropoff between QB2 and QB3 to be bigger.

Now on paper, their DL has been decimated with optouts, injuries and suspensions. But actually, there they have defied some odds and weathered it pretty well. I don't know, maybe if they were better they they win a game or two they lost? I recall the 2nd H of the UNR game and WYO D was flat out getting after it with their reserves forced into starting roles. Maybe it matters vs CSU? Thought their DL played pretty well there too. Two of they guys who were out when the season began are back now (Crall and Godbout), but then they lost another to suspension (Smith). I think at one point they were down 5 or 6 of their top 2-deep DL players. But that suspected would-be weakness really hasn't hurt them up to this point. It's been the offensive struggles in the passing game.

They weren't sure if Williams will play yet. Throwing shoulder injury. Sounded like Valladay will play just to what extent and effectiveness is unknown.

Yes offensively challenged when they can't just line up and run run run and run some more. The drop off between QB1 and QB2 I thought was negligible. But I expect the dropoff between QB2 and QB3 to be bigger.

Now on paper, their DL has been decimated with optouts, injuries and suspensions. But actually, there they have defied some odds and weathered it pretty well. I don't know, maybe if they were better they they win a game or two they lost? I recall the 2nd H of the UNR game and WYO D was flat out getting after it with their reserves forced into starting roles. Maybe it matters vs CSU? Thought their DL played pretty well there too. Two of they guys who were out when the season began are back now (Crall and Godbout), but then they lost another to suspension (Smith). I think at one point they were down 5 or 6 of their top 2-deep DL players. But that suspected would-be weakness really hasn't hurt them up to this point. It's been the offensive struggles in the passing game.

They weren't sure if Williams will play yet. Throwing shoulder injury. Sounded like Valladay will play just to what extent and effectiveness is unknown.

I gotta assume the drop off from Levi to his backup isn’t good, if the 3rd stringer could play he be ahead of Levi already! Lol

I gotta assume the drop off from Levi to his backup isn’t good, if the 3rd stringer could play he be ahead of Levi already! Lol

Levi somehow had a really good game in bowl last year. So he atleast had done it before. New kid is a true frosh. Being that Williams hasn't been great throwing it this year, you can't expect Beerup to be worse throwing it, but it is the recognizing coverages and stuff with decision making that is worrisome. I'm sure if he gets the start the staff will limit what they ask him to do and only try to play towards his strengths. Naturally, you'd rather have the guy who has started some games instead of a true getting his first start when betting it though.

It's just always tough to know. It is a risk taking a chance on a frosh QB when the starter is out. But look at Rice last week. He was a redshirt, but still, Collins had posted some pretty good numbers this year in some games, you'd expect his absence to matter. And while you can say to the offense, his absence did matter, but in terms of the final outcome of the game it did not.

BAR says don't bet against injuries, and I agree for the most part. So many examples of injured players not playing and not mattering in the outcome when you'd think it would. But then again, sometimes it does. Just like everything else, have to weigh it and assess the risk tolerance.

Levi somehow had a really good game in bowl last year. So he atleast had done it before. New kid is a true frosh. Being that Williams hasn't been great throwing it this year, you can't expect Beerup to be worse throwing it, but it is the recognizing coverages and stuff with decision making that is worrisome. I'm sure if he gets the start the staff will limit what they ask him to do and only try to play towards his strengths. Naturally, you'd rather have the guy who has started some games instead of a true getting his first start when betting it though.

It's just always tough to know. It is a risk taking a chance on a frosh QB when the starter is out. But look at Rice last week. He was a redshirt, but still, Collins had posted some pretty good numbers this year in some games, you'd expect his absence to matter. And while you can say to the offense, his absence did matter, but in terms of the final outcome of the game it did not.

BAR says don't bet against injuries, and I agree for the most part. So many examples of injured players not playing and not mattering in the outcome when you'd think it would. But then again, sometimes it does. Just like everything else, have to weigh it and assess the risk tolerance.

Wyoming was one my favorite bets in the bowls last year. They drew a perfect matchup for them against a team they could bulldozer.

I agree with that strategy for most part as well. I will pass on a team cause of injuries but it incredibly rare I would play against a team because of injuries, next man up and all that. Cluster injuries at a position can be damning. I ended up on BC last week despite qb being out but that cause they lied all week more than me not caring. Damn backup was great up until he got in red zone and threw 3 picks, lol. I was always big on betting hoops teams when star out but never looked to back football teams for that reason but again I often think next man up plays just as well. Played Hoosiers last week not worried bout loss of Penix. Just depends who the backup is I suppose and the makeup of the team around him: case by case basis type of thing.

Back