• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Kentucky Derby Week...

That was a surprise for sure, as I am flipping back and forth between CFB, horses and golf....

You can never leave out Chad's third horse in these turf stakes. Had the same thing happen at Belmont the year American Pharoah won. Slumber was at double digit odds and Chad's third horse in the race and won impressively. If you're playing one of his, then use them all.

He was on tickets that were knocked out already. I did have Slumber back then though with a singled Pharoah, who was about 4/5 himself. Which might be the other half of today's story too, the third Chad preceding the odds on favorite.

Thousand Words just flipped in the paddock. Should be an automatic scratch. Wow

Hate the big field every year, but I like 16 to WPS; not getting cute with anything exotic. I think he will compete.

No excuse for the favorite... I’d have bet a lot of money top of the stretch that Authentic was going to quit. Amazing race especially after that bad start.
Agreed, thought Tiz was going to whip by and then a couple of others too.

wife texted me that "I won"
Apparently she doesn't understand a "box" trifecta.
I had the #10 in the box. thus a scratch.
18 was the only Baffert horse I did not play.
Her parents owned a piece of a race horse.
Beauty queens.....jeez.

A $5 blind double using Chad Brown's three on the turf and with Baffert's two in the Derby, the premier route turf and dirt trainers in the US, pays about $660 bucks for the $30 investment. That's a kick in the nuts.

I know the president of spendthrift so on the rare occasion that I bet horses it's usually on their horses. I just had lunch money on authentic but we'll have a nice lunch tomorrow nonetheless.

Looking at the chart for the race:

2:00.61 is a really, really good time for Authentic, especially with a 1:10.23 first six furlongs. American Pharoah ran 2:03 on a fast track after 1:11+ for 6f.

Apologies to Timh for going 0 for 2 on the H2H. Thankfully Thousands Words was scratched to eliminate the chance of being 0-4. South Bend actually pulled alongside Major Fed on the turn but then stopped in the stretch to finish DFL.

Not a big surprise that 16, 17 and 18 were all in the super, and Max Player rounding out the Hi-5 was not a surprise either. Mr. Big News finishing third was the shocker. A hidden factor was the decision to give Saez the mount. He had ridden the horse only once before, pulling off an upset win at Oaklawn in April at 46/1 where he made a huge move on the far turn against a torrid pace, moving from 9th to 2nd and then passing Farmington Road in the stretch for the win. So what does Saez do in the Derby? The exact same move! He pushes Mr. Big News into a drive at the start of the turn and moves him from 9th to 3rd by the top of the stretch. This time he wasn't good enough to attack the top two, but with Honor AP and Max Player spinning out of the turn on 9th and 11th, he had more than enough left in the tank to hold 3rd.

Money Moves was probably the most disappointing considering he was bet down to 13/1, He was within about 3 lengths of the lead after 6 furlongs, but that sub 1:11 cooked him and he faded from sixth to twelfth on the turn.

After Gamine got worked in the Oaks Bob made sure he had Authentic super juiced up and ready to roll.

As CPA stated above....poor break, John had to rush him to get him up to the lead, and he has still has enough gas to turn away Tiz down the stretch.

Gandy I played the last DD and had Digital Age at 8-1 with 16, 17 in Derby. Was painful to watch the stretch, as Tiz just didn't have the drive left in him and kept drifting a little right....I just had that bad feeling watching him that he wasn't going to get there. I enjoy trying to figure this game out a little bit, but you guys are really accomplished horse handicappers and I really appreciate your posts and insights. Look forward to Preakness and Breeders.

Back