• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Go Bowling at The Glen Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Go Bowling at The Glen Preview and Best Bet

NASCAR Cup Series: Go Bowling at The Glen
Sunday, August 6, 2021 at 3 p.m. ET (NBC Sports Network) at Watkins Glen International in Watkins Glen, New York

Race Info

NASCAR's Cup Series will return to action after a brief hiatus.

But do not expect another hiatus any time soon. This weekend will be the first of 14 consecutive weekends on which a NASCAR Cup Series event is scheduled to take place.

After four of those 14 weeks, the NASCAR Cup Series playoffs will begin.

The upcoming race takes place on Sunday afternoon when The Glen will host Go Bowling at The Glen.

For this racing event, drivers must complete a total of 90 laps.

As has been the norm, there are a total of three stages for this event.

Stage 1 will require 20 laps. Stage 2 will end after the 40th lap as it, too, consists in 20 laps. Stage 3 requires 50 more laps and ends at the 90th lap.

Just like in previous weeks, an entry list has already been published for this event. 37 teams and drivers have been listed.

Since neither practice nor qualifying will take place for this event, which is familiar to the active drivers, the starting lineup will be determined by a predetermined formula.

Conventionally, the starting lineup gets released on Wednesday morning.

Track Info

In 2021, The Glen is one of seven road courses published on the racing schedule of NASCAR's Cup Series.

This track's surface is composed of asphalt.

Each time around The Glen's asphalt racing surface requires drivers to accomplish eight turns and to accrue 2.454 miles.

So in completing 90 laps, drivers will have accrued a total of just over 220 miles.

There is no banking since it is a road course.

Drivers To Avoid

This course is considerably more well-known to certain drivers than to others.

Despite the disparity in the number of races that each driver has participated in at this track, we have a lot of data to look with view to predicting how this race will pan out.

One driver to avoid relying on to do well here is Joey Logano. Logano has finished outside the top 20 in his last three races at Watkins Glen.

It is true that Logano's last race this season (back on July 18) went quite well for him. But don't be fooled by recency bias by placing too much predictive emphasis on Logano's most recent race.

His last race took place at New Hampshire, where, historically, he typically performs rather well.

However, in terms of average finishing position, he is by far his very worst at Watkins Glen.

Therefore, expect a resumption of the prior poor form that we had observed in Logano before New Hampshire.

Also avoid Denny Hamlin, who has suffered a tremendous number of poor performances at this track.

Due to his high number of mishaps here, his average finishing position at Watkins Glen is considerably worse than his average starting position.

His form this season -- compared to last -- negates any hope that one may derive from studying his most recent performances at this track, which are a bit better but still far from impressive.

This year, Hamlin and his team simply aren't very fast and there's no good reason to expect differently at The Glen.

My Guy

Chase Elliott is typically the guy that bettors want to look to rely on at road races.

There is good reason for Elliott's reputation as a superior road racer.

His history at this track must make him the top choice to win here. He won both of his last two races at Watkins Glen.

For the above reasons, invest in Elliott.

Best Bet: Elliott To Win (Odds TBA)

Already locked in Blaney -105 over Bowman.

Hard to go against Elliott this week.

C. Bell also to the rear and loses his crew chief.

Chase has won from going to the rear before. Road America and the Championship last year. So it's doable. But still not ideal.

Since Chase is going to the back, although it usually does not matter, I am taking a longshot to win:
Chastain +4000 (small)
Also:
Chastain Top 10 +120 (large)

Matchups (all a normal bet):
Buescher -115 over Almirola (Almirola coming off a big win and can just cruise now)
McDowell +100 over Suarez (Suarez has lost some of his luster and McDowell is a good road course driver)
Chastain -110 over Reddick (I really like Chastain today although I wish he was not matched with Reddick)

I also like Briscoe today but he is matched against DiBendetto so pass.

If the Elliot matchups go down any more I may take him against Truex.

Since Chase is going to the back, although it usually does not matter, I am taking a longshot to win:
Chastain +4000 (small)
Also:

Buescher -115 over Almirola (Almirola coming off a big win and can just cruise now)
McDowell +100 over Suarez (Suarez has lost some of his luster and McDowell is a good road course driver)
Chastain -110 over Reddick (I really like Chastain today although I wish he was not matched with Reddick)

Chastain has been really good lately. Good value IMO.

Like the McDowell play alot. Solid on road courses.

I was wanting to play Reddick today but not against Chastain.

GL today.

Chastain has been really good lately. Good value IMO.

Like the McDowell play alot. Solid on road courses.

I was wanting to play Reddick today but not against Chastain.

GL today.
It is early, but Reddick looks really good. Chastain, not so much.

Chastain +4000 (small)
Also:

I don't know what happened on the last lap, but Chastain was in 9th by a few seconds and finished in 12th, which cost me my biggest bet, Chastain in the Top 10. To make it worse, one of the cars that passed Chastain during whatever happened on the last lap was Reddick, which cost me the head-to-head bet.

Maybe he ran out of gas, I know he was one of the first to make his last pit stop.

I don't know what happened on the last lap, but Chastain was in 9th by a few seconds and finished in 12th, which cost me my biggest bet, Chastain in the Top 10. To make it worse, one of the cars that passed Chastain during whatever happened on the last lap was Reddick, which cost me the head-to-head bet.

Maybe he ran out of gas, I know he was one of the first to make his last pit stop.
Yes, he ran out of gas on the last lap. Turned a great day for me into a losing day.

Back