• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Georgia Southern fires OC

s--k

Goodbye to Romance College Football
The decision comes after the Eagles saw fourth quarter leads slip away on the road at Army and Georgia State. Both games, Coach Lunsford says, were ones he felt like the team should have won.

“We were just not finishing drives, we were having trouble in the red zone, we were not scoring enough points,” Lunsford explained in a press conference Sunday afternoon. “I felt like at any moment we were going to exploded and take off. My thoughts on that were inaccurate.”

Lunsford said the inability to finish games played a factor in his decision to relieve DeBesse of his duties.

“When I took the job over it was all about putting our foot on their throats and choking them out. We’ve got to get back to that mentality.”

Tight ends coach and former Georgia Southern offensive coordinator Doug Ruse has been named interim OC. While he won’t comment on Ruse’s potential as a long-term solution for the position, Lunsford did say Ruse’s success with the Eagles as OC in 2014 and 2015 made him the right man for the job right now.

“He’s done it. He’s been in that fire,” Lunsford added. “If you are going to make a change in the season I think it’s important you make it someone who is seasoned and you don’t just break a rookie into it.”

With Ruse calling the shots in 2014 and 2015, the Eagles’ offense averaged an impressive 39.1 and 36.5 points per game. The Eagles’ offense is averaging 27 points per game in 2020.

Eagle Nation will have the chance to check out Ruse’s first game back as offensive coordinator this Saturday when Georgia Southern hosts FAU at Paulson Stadium. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. and will be broadcasted on ESPN+.

STATESBORO - Georgia Southern head football coach Chad Lunsford announced Sunday that Bob DeBesse is no longer the program's offensive coordinator, effective immediately. With this announcement, tight ends coach Doug Ruse will serve as the interim offensive coordinator and move to quarterbacks coach for the remainder of the season.

"First off, I want to thank Bob DeBesse for his investment into the Georgia Southern football program," Lunsford said. "Bob has worked hard on and off the field to help our program succeed and I appreciate that. At this time, I feel it's in the best interest of our program to go in a different direction and make a change at the offensive coordinator spot.

"These types of decisions are never easy, however, I know that I am responsible for putting a staff together that gives our program the best chance to succeed. Bob has really helped me develop as a head coach and I have a lot of respect for him, but I believe a change is necessary for us to move forward."

Ruse was the offensive coordinator at Georgia Southern in 2014 and 2015. In those two seasons, Ruse's offense averaged 37.7 points per game and led the FBS in rushing both seasons. In his debut season with the Eagles, Georgia Southern won the Sun Belt title with an 8-0 record and the Eagles won their first bowl game in 2015, the GoDaddy Bowl.

With DeBesse leaving the program, Lunsford will make a decision on who will move into the on-field coaching position with the tight ends.

Georgia Southern (6-4) is slated to play FAU (5-1) Saturday at Paulson Stadium at 6 p.m.
https://gseagles.com/news/2020/11/2...hange-at-offensive-coordinator.aspxSTATESBORO, Ga. (WSAV) – In a major change to the team’s coaching staff, Georgia Southern head football Coach Chad Lunsford has fired offensive coordinator Bob DeBesse.

With Ruse calling the shots in 2014 and 2015, the Eagles’ offense averaged an impressive 39.1 and 36.5 points per game. The Eagles’ offense is averaging 27 points per game in 2020.
Does anyone else think it might be partly due to the Sun Belt improving since then? Like, Georgia State is a lot better than the 2014 team that gave up 69 to the Statesboro Blues? That 2014 team also scored 83 against Savannah State.

Sun Belt is definitely an improved league, but at the same time teams like Arkansas State and Troy are down, there spots have been taken by others have risen. I'd say that Georgia Southern has slipped some. And I guess that is the point...having leads vs Army and Georgia State and not being able to keep those leads losing those games is what they are publicly saying. Maybe there was something that started it earlier. Even vs the likes of South Bama and Troy....Georgia Southern never really looked too impressive this season. I mean they only beat ULM by 5! Texas State nearly beat them! Even their win vs UMass....it took them awhile to get there. They did have a lot of covid and stuff...I'll just take it at face value, the coach must sense something with the team and the players and the gameplans and execution that needs a something different.

Georgia Southern has been tied or leading in every 4th Q this year.

Anyone know if QB SHAI WERTS is playing today?

Back