• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] First we'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we have experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

8/25 NFLX Az @ DA BEARS -3.5 (34) 8p

jimmyd

Well let's get started for a nice weekend.
Reminder: odds are the current posted at Pinnacle, times are EST., bolding is mine to highlite important info, italics after my name are my personal comments.
And 1st up we have:

Arizona Cardinals - QB Rotation: Kurt Warner (first half and into the 3rd Q), rookie Matt Leinart (3rd Q+), John Navarre, Rohan Davey.

The starters will play into the third quarter. Rookie QB Matt Leinart will be the first quarterback off the bench, but Dennis Green isn't ready to name him the No. 2 quarterback. Green anticipates RB Edgerrin James playing only a series or two.

Offensive line problems: Starting RT Oliver Ross (knee) is out two months. The Cardinals traded a late-round draft pick to New England for offensive right tackle Brandon Gorin. Jeremy Bridges is starting there now, and Ross is expected back in the first two weeks of the season.

The Cardinals' lack of depth on offense was highlighted during their 30-3 loss to New England. "I guess we're concerned we don't have three deep," HC Green said. "Our first offense can move the ball. I just don't think we have as much talented depth as the people we're playing against.

Defensive end Bertrand Berry will miss the final two preseason games after suffering a left knee injury.

The running game has been poor. "I'm concerned," coach Dennis Green said. "I'm concerned about every phase of the offense right now."

Cardinals coach Dennis Green wants to run a one-back, three-receiver offense.

LB concerns: One of the team's best linebackers, Karlos Dansby, hasn't even practiced yet. A couple of others, starter Calvin Pace and Darryl Blackstock, are playing new positions. And James Darling and Gerald Hayes are in a tight competition to start in the middle. So no one is quite sure what the depth chart at linebacker will look like when everything is settled.

Chicago Bears - QB Rotation: Rex Grossman (first half and into the 3rd), Brian Griese (3rd Q+), Kyle Orton (mop up), B.J. Symons.

Starters are set to play into the second half. Backup QB Brian Griese will not necessarily play all of the fourth quarter. He got only two possessions last week, and it sounds as if Kyle Orton will get work.

RB Thomas Jones will start against the Cardinals after missing the first two preseason games with a pulled hamstring. The Bears say the offense is a work in progress, and the three TDs Brian Griese has produced in four preseason possessions are evidence he was a smart signing. RB Adrian Peterson could get some work with the first team, and P.J. Pope and Andre Hall figure to finish up.

Wide receivers thin. Mark Bradley is still bothered by his right knee. The possibility exists that the Bears' No. 2 receiver is not on the roster yet.

Secondary thin: Cornerback Nathan Vasher remained out with his mid-back injury and is not expected to play Friday. Strong safety Mike Brown will rest his sore left Achilles tendon for the remainder of the preseason as a precaution.

Cards look to rebound vs. Bears Offense seeks more from rushing attack

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 25, 2006 12:00 AM

CHICAGO - NFL preseason games don't count, but that doesn't mean they are meaningless.

That was obvious from the look on Cardinals coach Dennis Green's face after last Saturday's 30-3 loss to New England. His team couldn't run the ball, wasn't much better throwing it and had little luck stopping the Patriots on third down.

If the game was a measuring stick against the NFL's elite, the Cardinals came up more than a little short. If they don't play much better tonight against the Bears at Soldier Field, things could be ugly again.

"After being treated pretty rudely in New England, it doesn't take much to figure out if you take another playoff team on and don't play well, they'll put a hurtin' on you," Green said.

Preseason or not, the Cardinals had hoped they were beyond a performance like the one in New England. To their credit, the players admitted they stunk, and the smell wafted through the team's front office.

Rod Graves, vice president for football operations, made it clear he thinks the Cardinals are on the right path under Green. But he was disappointed in last week's performance.

"I think good teams don't allow those things to happen when you're confronted with tough situations," he said. "It was a road game, one we had to travel across the country on and we were playing a team recognized as probably the best team in the National Football League by some. And you have to rise to the occasion."

Instead, the Cardinals wilted.

New England dominated throughout, from starters against starters to third-teamers against third-teamers.

Green thinks his starters can stack up against those on other teams, but last Saturday's result left him wondering about his team's depth.

"I just don't think we've got enough of the talented depth to play against the people we're playing against," he said.

Fixing the running game remains the priority of this off-season, and judging by last week, the thing remains up on blocks with the hood up.

The Cardinals gained just 55 yards on 13 carries, including two scrambling runs for 29 yards by rookie quarterback Matt Leinart. It's hard for an offensive line to get any rhythm or practice if only 11 running plays are called.

"If you want to be good at something, you have to do it," said quarterback Kurt Warner, when asked if more running plays should be called. "I think that's definitely part of it."

But, Warner was quick to point out, the Cardinals didn't have the ball much in that game. They ran a total of only 44 plays and had the ball for just 17:44.

Their first offensive series was doomed by a 9-yard sack. The second ended with an interception. The third was hampered by a holding call.

"If we can convert just one of those drives in the first half, we're still in the game," Warner said.

"Was it overall just horrible? I don't think so," he said. "But against a good team, little things accumulate and accumulate and accumulate until the end result is horrible. That's where we need to get to, where we are so efficient that when the other teams make mistakes, we capitalize on them and we win because of it."

Tonight's game will be the last challenge of the preseason. The starters will see their most playing time - into the third quarter - and likely make only a token appearance in the preseason finale next week against Denver.

While Chicago has one of the best defenses in the NFL, the Cardinals likely will try to establish a running game. The Bears play a Cover 2 style of defense, which means both safeties are usually kept back and aren't involved in run support. That leaves fewer people for the offensive line and tight ends to block.

Like the Cardinals' three other preseason opponents, the Bears made the playoffs last year, and the game should give the Cardinals a chance to prove they're making progress.

"You always want to keep that taste out of your mouth where you walk away saying, 'Man, we played horrible,' " Warner said. "It's always important in the preseason to build that confidence so you go into the season feeling great with what you're doing."

JJ Arington is a clown.. not sure how this guy is still in the league.

I'm really liking Chicago in this one I believe....I can't believe Green's mouthing the running attack...They aren't playing THE GUY that is their running attack..that's pretty obvious...they couldn't run in w/out him before and haven't improved the O Line...so why would they be able to run it w/ him not in the game...

And Edge isn't playing much again tonight, so no reason to think they fix it...esp against that front seven.

Keys To The Game

1. Regroup From Last Week—For all the positives the Cardinals may have gleaned from the preseason-opening win over Pittsburgh, those were negated last week by a stagnant offense and porous rushing defense. The talent level between the Steelers and Patriots is much more equal than how the Cardinals performed against each the past two weeks, and the Cards can use this week’s game against Chicago to re-establish some consistency. However, the Cards will be cautious of revealing too much of their game plan due to the fact they will face Chicago during the regular season when the Bears travel to Arizona for a Monday night match up in October.

2. Last Tuneup For Veterans—Typically, the third preseason game is the final time the majority of the veterans will see the field before the regular season, giving them a week to get ready for ‘when it counts.’ The Cardinals must try to develop some sort of consistency on the offensive line, but it will not be easy against one of the most talented and deepest defensive lines in the league.

3. Quick Turnaround—The team arrived back in Arizona in the wee hours last Sunday, and had only four days of workouts until faced with another long flight and two-hour time difference. Adapting to the short recovery time, coupled with a time difference, won’t be easy.

Injury Update
DE Bertrand Berry (knee), LB Lance Mitchell (ankle), DE Anton Palepoi (PUP-shoulder), LB Karlos Dansby (toe), RB Roger Robinson (toe), T Oliver Ross (knee surgery), and DL Kenny King (hand) did not participate in practice. Rookie defensive tackle Gabe Watson pulled a calf muscle during practice. It is similar to the injury he endured during Team Organized Workouts, however it is the other leg.

5 Bears on the spot

By John Mullin
Tribune staff reporter

August 25, 2006, 10:07 AM CDT

The third NFL exhibition game typically reveals the most. Rosters are cut to 65 players Tuesday, but more than just marginal players are on the spot Friday night when the Bears play the Cardinals.

1. Rex Grossman
After two performances he'd like to forget, at least he'll have Thomas Jones back. But this is Grossman's dress rehearsal for the opener at Green Bay. "He had the poor first game and wanted to atone for that in the second game and was pressing a little bit," quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson said. "I think his confidence is fine, and when someone makes a big catch for him or he makes a big throw, he'll be all right."

2. Thomas Jones
Because of injuries, Jones has never started more than eight straight games in any of his six seasons. His credentials with the Bears aren't in question, but until he puts some yards on his injured hamstring, his durability is.

3. The wideouts
The receivers have only 16 catches in two games, led by Rashied Davis' six. The Bears need to know his production will be there every week. Bernard Berrian and Muhsin Muhammad have been limited by minor injuries. For one of the NFL's worst passing offenses, it's time.

4. Bubble boys
Rookie offensive linemen Mark LeVoir of Notre Dame and Tyler Reed of Penn State have played well enough to make the practice squad. Defensive tackle Antonio Garay and defensive end Jamaal Green face a difficult numbers game. Defensive end Mark Anderson, receiver/special-teamer Alex Bannister and defensive lineman Michael Haynes will get their only shots this week.

5. Defensive line
No defensive lineman has a sack, but Arizona has two vulnerable quarterbacks in Kurt Warner and Matt Leinart. The Bears are not facing a great offensive line. As with the receivers, it's time.

I also give a pretty good QB advantage in this one to Chi...esp Griese vs Leinart at this point..

I think Chicago has the opp to score more frequently and consistently than ARI..

Not sure they'll need it w/ the OLine whoas vs that front seven...anybody think this could be ugly???

Jones gets his chance
Bears running back to start his 1st exhibition

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter

August 23, 2006, 11:36 PM CDT

Four weeks and two days after straining his right hamstring and throwing the running back battle into mayhem, Thomas Jones will start against his former team Friday night when the Bears play Arizona at Soldier Field.

If Jones is smart, he'll watch the fourth quarter from the sidelines and attend the mandatory team meeting afterward.
Cedric Benson claimed he didn't know he was breaking team rules when he didn't do either of those last Friday. His actions led to him being fined by coach Lovie Smith and brought headlines to the competition for all the wrong reasons.

Most of his teammates rolled their eyes when asked if the situation would be a distraction, and Benson said he'd learn from his transgression. Jones' return further places the focus back on football.

"I think whenever you get a player back like Thomas Jones, it should help," Smith said.

From the first day of training camp, Jones has claimed he believes he should be the starting tailback. That he returns from injury before Benson, still out with a sore left shoulder, could give him the opportunity to make good on his claim.

Jones' return comes at an opportune time not only to lessen off-the-field drama but to jump-start a moribund offense.

The No. 1 unit, which is expected to play close to three full quarters Friday, has yet to reach the end zone. It has committed three turnovers and gained nine first downs on 10 possessions in the first two exhibition games.

With a defense that has allowed only six points thus far—three of them after a turnover by the offense deep in their own territory—the Bears know the improvement must come from the other side of the ball.

The third preseason game is always considered the most important because starters barely play in the final contest. The need for the offense to offer a better showing makes it all the more so.

"Starting off with just getting points on the board," Smith said, when asked what improvement he sought. "The second preseason game, we made a little progress. But right now, I'm just saying everything. We're not ready to play the Packers yet. But hopefully, we'll take another big step in all phases this week."

Smith said Jones, who rushed for a career-high 1,335 yards last season, wouldn't be limited after practicing all week. The team is mindful he's recently recovered from an injury, though, so it's possible Adrian Peterson could enter before reserves at other positions do.

"I'm excited about getting back out there," Jones said.

The Benson story shifted the spotlight from quarterback Rex Grossman, who struggled mightily in the exhibition opener in San Francisco and threw a bad interception in the home preseason opener against San Diego.

Grossman has been upfront about needing to play better. Early this week, Grossman said he'd be shocked if the first-team offense didn't respond.

"I feel pretty comfortable with Rex Grossman, period," Smith said. "I like him. He, like the rest of our team, should improve this week."

Of course preseason games, even third ones, aren't as important as regular-season contests. But the last time the Bears faced such off-the-field drama, they responded with a huge victory over Carolina.

That victory, last Nov. 20, came following a tumultuous week when center Olin Kreutz and tackle Fred Miller admitted to their roles in a fight at a shooting range in North Chicago.

The Bears dominated Carolina in all phases, which is why players are confident the Benson situation won't have lingering effects.

"We're not going to let this bother us," safety Mike Brown said. "This league is always based on performance. It doesn't matter what people say. It's based on what they do. That's the nature of the business we're in."

The Bears hope Benson can play in the preseason finale against Cleveland on Aug. 31. Whether Jones will have taken his opportunity and run with it—literally—remains to be seen.

The Bears keep insisting they'll need both backs to be successful. Friday night, at least one will strut his stuff.

Wideouts return to full strength
Smith says Berrian, Muhammad will start against Arizona

By K.C. Johnson and John Mullin
Tribune staff reporters

August 23, 2006, 10:22 PM CDT

Bears coach Lovie Smith said Muhsin Muhammad and Bernard Berrian would start at wide receiver in Friday night's exhibition against the Arizona Cardinals. Mark Bradley said his surgically repaired right knee felt better than when it limited him to a few snaps last week.

This is all good news for a receiving corps that has been as banged up on the field as it has been beaten up off it for lack of production.
The stats we had as an offensive group are embarrassing," Bradley said. "We have a chip on our shoulders. We want to prove what type of players we really are."

The Bears, 31st in passing yardage last season, made low-ball offers to Denver for Ashley Lelie, who was traded to Atlanta late Tuesday. Although the Bears will scan the waiver wire, it's possible that this is the receiving corps, counting Justin Gage and Rashied Davis, with which they'll enter the season.

Oft-injured Airese Currie returned to practice this week after arthroscopic knee surgery, but his roster spot isn't guaranteed.

"We're getting closer to having the guys we'll be playing this season with," Smith said. "That has to be good."

Having Bradley return to form would help the depth. But Smith and Bradley acknowledge the second-year wideout still isn't 100 percent.

"It's not a knockout blow where I'm disappointed by it," Bradley said. "That's the nature of a severe injury. But I'm expecting more Friday."

Speeding up

Defensive tackle Tank Johnson tore a quadriceps muscle while lifting weights in March and was expected to miss four to six months. Johnson, who might play in the exhibition finale next week against Cleveland, has overcome the injury and his fears.

"There were days when I thought I would never play again," he said. "My rehab has gone a lot better than I would have expected. If you can't bend your leg 45 degrees, that's a problem with running. But I'm straight now."

Johnson said this is the longest he has ever been sidelined but is not concerned about being up to NFL speed.

"I'm already back to game speed," he said. "When you play in the box, it's easier to get up to speed. I'm not cutting and running corners. It comes down to whether you can hold the bracing and pushing."

Extra points

Defensive tackle Ian Scott and offensive guard Terrence Metcalf, both coming off recent arthroscopic knee surgery, participated in limited practice. ... Rookie defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek, nursing a sore right foot, also took limited reps. He won't play Friday. ... Rookie defensive end Mark Anderson, special teamer Alex Bannister and defensive end Michael Haynes, all out virtually the entire training camp, did some individual work at practice. None will play Friday.

The offensive lack of production has had a lot to do w/ personnel first couple games I believe...

Jones being featured back helps offense no doubt, esp on dump off crap..and Mus and Berrian were hurt.

I think this one will be ugly. I don't think the Bears can move the ball effectively against anyone... my avatar to the left shut them boys down for sakes.. I think Zona won't do much... but you have to expect them to be able score with some good field position once or twice early..

Inspekdah said:
I think this one will be ugly. I don't think the Bears can move the ball effectively against anyone... my avatar to the left shut them boys down for sakes.. I think Zona won't do much... but you have to expect them to be able score with some good field position once or twice early..

I'm just thinking that front four will kill Warner all by themselves w/ Zona's OL problems, esp w/ Edge not seeing much time..

At this point, would have to go with Da Bears. Az. is terrible, and at least Chi has a Def. Az having to travel 2 wks in a row, back-to-back roadies, is not going to help. Will probably buy the 1/2 to 3 and take CHICAGO. The under is low, so will pass on that.

NFL Preseason Preview - Arizona (1-1) at Chicago (1-1)
(Sports Network) - Fans that make their way to Soldier Field for Friday night's preseason battle between the Chicago Bears and Arizona Cardinals figure to be monitoring the work of the home team's offense very closely. The Bears' first-string attack, which has not looked particularly crisp during the preseason to date, figures to see its most extended time of the summer against the Cardinals, with quarterback Rex Grossman, running back Thomas Jones, and the club's receivers under the glare of the spotlight. Grossman, the team's unquestioned No. 1 starter, has looked shaky in two tune-ups, while Jones has yet to play due to a hamstring injury.
Grossman has put together back-to-back poor passing performances, entering Friday's game with a dismal passer rating of 40.4. Adding to the pressure for the fourth-year signal-caller has been the play of backup and former Buccaneers starter Brian Griese, who has completed 8-of-11 passes for 150 yards and three touchdowns in his first action as a Bear. Chicago head coach Lovie Smith has explicitly stated that Grossman is firmly entrenched as his No. 1 QB, though it seems logical that continued less-than-stellar outings could spell a starting shot for Griese. Meanwhile, at running back, Jones will be looking to re-assert his control over a first-string job. Jones, who rushed for 1,335 yards and nine touchdowns last season, was No. 2 on the depth chart behind former No. 4 overall pick Cedric Benson as training camp began, but the partially dislocated shoulder suffered by Benson earlier in camp put Jones back in the driver's seat for starting duties. In addition to Benson, guard Terrence Metcalf (knee) will not be in the lineup on Friday.

The Cardinals will be looking to rebound from a poor preseason performance last Saturday, when they were manhandled by the Patriots, 30-3. The first-team offense, including quarterback Kurt Warner, running back Edgerrin James, and receivers Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin, figures to play most of the first-half snaps this week. Warner threw for 58 yards with an interception versus the Pats, before yielding to backups Matt Leinart and John Navarre. Leinart, the 2004 Heisman Trophy winner and No. 10 overall pick in this past April's draft, completed 4-of-11 passes for 45 yards and rushed twice for a team-high 29 yards in his first action as a pro. Helping to protect the quarterbacks against Chicago will be newly-acquired tackle Brandon Gorin, who started 18 games with New England over the past two seasons but lost his starting job with the Pats during training camp. On the Arizona injury front, linebacker Lance Mitchell (ankle), defensive end Bertrand Berry (left knee) and linebacker Karlos Dansby (toe) will not be in uniform in the Windy City on Friday. The Cardinals lead the all-time series with the Bears, 27-12, including a 27-17 victory in the last such matchup, prior to the 2003 season. Chicago leads the regular season series with its former crosstown rival, 54-26-6, including a 28-3 home win when the teams last did battle, in 2003. Arizona and Chicago will renew their regular season rivalry in a Monday night game from Cardinals Stadium on Oct. 16th.

Back