• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] First we'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we have experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

2021 offseason thread

I think it's more likely they do that with a Giordano, he has 1 year left. Eat half the salary and he's only on 3.75m

Some contender that needs help on the blue line should move for that.

Toronto makes a ton of sense, pair him up with Brodie again
would be nice to have more leadership back there with Giordano.

yea, but my understanding is that I don't Price would want to play there. Although it is much closer to home in BC.. and I agree with your sentiment, you would be bailing out montreal a ton getting rid of his contract. This year was the run for him, don't know if they will get another chance.
I don't think he would mind, I think that's part of the thinking.

He's from BC, and his wife is from Washington state, met her when he played junior for tricities

I don't think he would mind, I think that's part of the thinking.

He's from BC, and his wife is from Washington state, met her when he played junior for tricities
yea I knew that, really wondering what he will ask for if he gets selected. Kraken have the ability to replicate the Knights here and make a real quality team.

there's no rules on trading players you're going to draft for seattle is there? I would take on Price, eat some of his Salary and try to mortgage something out of a team that is a goalie away from truly contending with Price.
That contract is absolutely toxic and Montreal is going to be stuck with it.

the timing of the potential knee surgery for Price is... interesting

I can't believe the Kraken would seriously consider taking Price given his age, and contract and the fact he couldn't beat out Jake Allen in the regular season ffs.
There are tons of decent goaltending options out there. Hell, I'd take Kinkaid off the Rangers hand, I think he still is good enough to be at least a 1a goaltender on a very reasonable contract.
Seattle should be able to form a pretty decent team, but I really have a feeling they will pass on guys with longer term contracts so they can build a team going forward on a blank canvass rather than burdening themselves with aging players with big contracts.
If I were the Kraken I'd be pretty interested in getting some UFA's in place and then seeing about taking some draft stock from teams looking to unload contracts. This would have me passing on just about all the big ticket unprotected players. Tarasenko seems like he would be worth the risk though, no?

If Drury is really dumb enough to give Goodrow a 6 yr deal for 3.6 mil per as rumored he is every bit the idiot that his predecessor Gorton is.

^^ looks like they were recording some of the selections.. bye Kerfoot

Mark Giordano
Carsen Twaryski
Jared McCann
Mason Appleton
Joonas Donskoi
Cale Fleury
Adam Larrson
Gavin Bayreuther
Carson Soucy
Kole Lind
Kurtis MacDermid
Alexander True
Jamie Oleksiak
Morgan Geekie
Haydn Fleury

Last edited:
Seattle took multiple videos apparently, when they were in between picks. Hallander and a pick to clear 2.9 is okay by me. Kerfoot will have to do

Really don’t love any of those picks. Gio being flipped for sure I’d say

Forwards

Tyler Pitlick (Arizona Coyotes)
Morgan Geekie (Carolina Hurricanes)
John Quenneville (Chicago Blackhawks)
Joonas Donskoi (Colorado Avalanche
Calle Jarnkrok (Nashville Predators)
Nathan Bastian (New Jersey Devils)
Jordan Eberle (New York Islanders)
Colin Blackwell (New York Rangers)
Carsen Twarynski (Philadelphia Flyers)
Brandon Tanev (Pittsburgh Penguins)
Alexander True (San Jose Sharks)
Yanni Gourde (Tampa Bay Lightning)
Jared McCann (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Kole Lind (Vancouver Canucks)
Mason Appleton (Winnipeg Jets)

Defensemen

Haydn Fleury (Anaheim Ducks)
Jeremy Lauzon (Boston Bruins)
William Borgen (Buffalo Sabres)
Mark Giordano (Calgary Flames)
Gavin Bayreuther (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Adam Larsson (Edmonton Oilers)
Jamie Oleksiak (Dallas Stars)
Kurtis MacDermid (Los Angeles Kings)
Carson Soucy (Minnesota Wild)
Cale Fleury (Montreal Canadiens)
Vince Dunn (St. Louis Blues)

Goaltenders

Chris Driedger (Florida Panthers)
Joey Daccord (Ottawa Senators)
Vitek Vanecek (Washington Capitals)

Depth Chart​

McCann-Gourde-Eberle
Tanev-Jarnkrok-Donskoi
Lind-Geekie-Appleton
Twarynski-Blackwell-Pitlick
Bastian, Quenneville, True

Giordano-Larsson
Oleksiak-Dunn
H. Fleury-Borgen
Soucy-MacDermid
Lauzon, C. Fleury, Bayreuther

Driedger
Vanecek
Daccord

-Safe to say, they won't be pulling a Vegas here..
-would have preferred Bean over Geekie (even with his upside).
-a top line of Gourde/McCann/Eberle is middle of the pack maybe lower end...
-Gio/Dunn/Lauzon maybe on the move?
-guess they didn't want to bail out some of the cap issues for some of these teams.

Ken Holland is doing some job destroying any chance that McDavid wins there. Expect the best player in the league to demand a trade after they flop again next season. This is what I want the Rangers to save their assets for as no price is too high for McDavid.
I mentioned this earlier, but you can't blame Chiarelli anymore... this will be 14 million tied up to hyman/keith/kassian

Ken Holland is doing some job destroying any chance that McDavid wins there. Expect the best player in the league to demand a trade after they flop again next season. This is what I want the Rangers to save their assets for as no price is too high for McDavid.
Hmmm

I'm more okay with the $ than the term, even the 5 is a little rich hence why Dubas moved on. but 7-8 years? lmao, hasn't played a full season since 2016 I think? After that edler knee, his game has been very different.

I'm more okay with the $ than the term, even the 5 is a little rich hence why Dubas moved on. but 7-8 years? lmao, hasn't played a full season since 2016 I think? After that edler knee, his game has been very different.
Personally think both are asinine

Personally think both are asinine
he was going to get 5 million + for sure. He settled on his last contract and took a discount. He is effective at his job, but is truly the third line grinder. Between the Goodrow contract and this rumoured one I have no clue wtf is happening anymore.

The Flames sent a fourth-round pick in Friday's NHL entry draft to the Kraken in exchange.

The Detroit Red Wings have acquired breakout goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic from the Carolina Hurricanes for a 2021 third-round draft pick and the rights to pending free agent goaltender Jonathan Bernier.

Bruins and Taylor Hall are working on the final details of his agreement, including no-trade coverage. When finalized and signed, Hall stays in Boston for 4 years at $6 mil per season

makes Hyman deal look even worse.. lol

he was going to get 5 million + for sure. He settled on his last contract and took a discount. He is effective at his job, but is truly the third line grinder. Between the Goodrow contract and this rumoured one I have no clue wtf is happening anymore.
His body is also getting eaten up. We are alresdy seeing it. His good years are going to be the first 4-5, years 6-8 will be scary to see. Just the way he plays the game it’s not sustainable on that body

I wouldn't give up anything of value for Seth Jones. If Chicago wants an overrated defenseman they can have Trouba for free.

I wouldn't give up anything of value for Seth Jones. If Chicago wants an overrated defenseman they can have Trouba for free.
Brewers, give me some names you think that are really good at their position. I would disagree that Seth Jones is overrated; he is a workhorse and can score from the point.

Brewers, give me some names you think that are really good at their position. I would disagree that Seth Jones is overrated; he is a workhorse and can score from the point.
The analytics are not kind to Jones and he's just not a player that a team should be paying 8 million plus per season. Its really a similar situation to Trouba; they are both NHL players but the salaries just don't match the production and thats paramount in a salary cap league.

The analytics are not kind to Jones and he's just not a player that a team should be paying 8 million plus per season. Its really a similar situation to Trouba; they are both NHL players but the salaries just don't match the production and thats paramount in a salary cap league.
couldn't we say that's every league? We don't pay any of these players what they are going to do, we pay them for what they did or based on the constructs of the salary cap..pivot to NBA and let's revisit that PFizzle (siakam) deal.

couldn't we say that's every league? We don't pay any of these players what they are going to do, we pay them for what they did or based on the constructs of the salary cap..pivot to NBA and let's revisit that PFizzle (siakam) deal.
To put together a championship team cap management is every bit as important as the trades you make and who you draft. A bottom six guy like Goodrow making less than a million helps you win but signing that player for a cap hit of 3.6 million over 6 years is how you remain irrelevant.

Hate to keep going back to the Rangers as an example but trading away Pavel Buchnevich who is a first line talent and a guy they can sign for approximately 5 million a year over 6 years due to cap concerns after you just gave a far inferior player 6 years at similar money is a great example of poor cap management.

Giving mediocre talent big money in a cap league is so stupid and Seth Jones at 8 million per season is just such a terrible use of much needed cap space.

To put together a championship team cap management is every bit as important as the trades you make and who you draft. A bottom six guy like Goodrow making less than a million helps you win but signing that player for a cap hit of 3.6 million over 6 years is how you remain irrelevant.

Hate to keep going back to the Rangers as an example but trading away Pavel Buchnevich who is a first line talent and a guy they can sign for approximately 5 million a year over 6 years due to cap concerns after you just gave a far inferior player 6 years at similar money is a great example of poor cap management.

Giving mediocre talent big money in a cap league is so stupid and Seth Jones at 8 million per season is just such a terrible use of much needed cap space.
I would call him middle six, but his value he has generated with his playoff performance entitles him to get that. Do I think he's worth 3.6 over 6? Nope, but the market dictates it. Goodrow isn't going to be making vets minimum in the prime of his career...the thoguht that everyone should know their place in the cap space and not try to get as much as they can, knowing how much the owners screw the players is another story too, ie. MLB players... I would also argue that if not for the Goodrows and Gourdes TB would still be spinning in their pursuit for a cup let alone back to back cups. Hyman is same story, you're paying for the 3-5 years, which align to the mcdavid guaranteed years and hoping to win and if you win no one is going to care about those last 3 years on the hyman contract

I would call him middle six, but his value he has generated with his playoff performance entitles him to get that. Do I think he's worth 3.6 over 6? Nope, but the market dictates it. Goodrow isn't going to be making vets minimum in the prime of his career...the thoguht that everyone should know their place in the cap space and not try to get as much as they can, knowing how much the owners screw the players is another story too, ie. MLB players... I would also argue that if not for the Goodrows and Gourdes TB would still be spinning in their pursuit for a cup let alone back to back cups. Hyman is same story, you're paying for the 3-5 years, which align to the mcdavid guaranteed years and hoping to win and if you win no one is going to care about those last 3 years on the hyman contract
There are plenty of similar players to Goodrow available every offseason for a million or so one one or two year deals. Paying players like this just because they happened to play for a championship team is asinine. If Goodrow played for Columbus and not Tampa he is lucky to get a 3 yr deal for 6 million total just proving that teams overpay for players just because of who they played for and that never works out well.

There are plenty of similar players to Goodrow available every offseason for a million or so one one or two year deals. Paying players like this just because they happened to play for a championship team is asinine. If Goodrow played for Columbus and not Tampa he is lucky to get a 3 yr deal for 6 million total just proving that teams overpay for players just because of who they played for and that never works out well.
I don't think Goodrow's performance is a product of the team in itself, he has the skillset of which is most desired for teams thinking they are either in contention or close to it (he's proven it twice now with TB). Can't fault the guy for saying "this is what i'm worth" and people agreeing and paying him for it.. I'm trying to think of players who you feel are in the same bubble as Goodrow? I think we both agree he's not worth it and that's more on the GM's or in this case GM who was willing to pay it..

Buffalo Sabres are trading defenceman Rasmus Ristolainen to the Philadelphia Flyers for a package that includes defenceman Robert Hagg and a first-round pick.

like the move to get a first there, especially with all signs pointing to Powers

Back