• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

*** 2021 Recruiting Thread ***

Clemson added another top LB and of course it was Venables who recruited him.

the dumbest decision Bob Stoops ever made was to push Venables out so he could give the job to his moron brother. Great for Clemson, a disaster for Oklahoma

I've always wondered if the reason Bob resigned was because it finally dawned on him Mike was such a clown he had to be fired and he just didn't have the heart to fire him.

A couple Clemson recruiting experts weigh in here:

Excerpts:

From Tommy K --

This is nothing short of a massive recruiting victory, as Carter was prioritized by every major program on the East coast. Carter had 56 offers, which is to my knowledge the most of any player in the 2021 class. Popular opinion had Carter as a lock to go to Georgia ever since the Dawgs offered given the numerous ties to the school; however, a visit in March changed everything for Clemson’s chances. This was a recruit that Georgia wanted to land badly, and is a huge upset with all factors considered. The usage and development of Isaiah Simmons by Brent Venables was a huge selling point for the Tigers, as Carter will play the same position in the Tigers defense as the now Top-10 draft pick once did.

From Quacking Tiger --

So Barrett Carter sits at #1 in my defensive most wanted list. This is a huge recruiting coup. Clemson goes into the state of Georgia and pulls the top LB in the state who is teammates with one of the top corners in the state and country. This just solidifies our position with Hancock [who committed March 11] and both will help keep the other in the fold. UGA will keep recruiting Carter, but I don’t think he is going anywhere despite the wishes of dawg fans.

Carter is a versatile piece you can move around and play in different ways. At 6’1 he gives you ideal size and has the speed to cover sideline to sideline. Plays against top competition in Georgia at North Gwinnett where he is well coached and has a solid football base knowledge. Perfect fit with Trotter who can be the interior run stuffer, freeing up Carter to do what he does best—play in space, blitz, and get after the QB. He plays at 220-225 so doesn’t need to bulk up much to play at the college level. He is decent in coverage, but will need to improve there if he wants to add more coverage responsibilities, but should be able to cover TE’s. I’d also like to see him be a bit more imposing in the run game. But overall, he fits what Brent Venables wants in his linebackers.

Clemson now has 12 commitments for 2021. By state:

Georgia - 5
FL - 2
PA - 1
MD - 1
CA - 1
NC - 1
TN - 1

It's not just what he would have done FOR you, as you were indeed loaded at the position. It's also what he wouldn't have done TO you. He was 6-153-1 in the title game against the Tide.

That or we could have put someone other than Savion Smith out there to guard him. That was a matchup that had y'all salivating over, and for good reason. Total mismatch

DE Zaire Patterson (6’6, 230) is from Winston Salem Prep in Winston-Salem, NC. The Clemson Tigers commit marks the 13th commitment in the class of 2021 and fills the space of the lone de-commitment of the class (DE Korey Foreman). Patterson is the composite 245th player in the country but the 99th on 247 after a big jump and 266th on ESPN (although they don’t even have a Clemson offer on their site, so I’m not sure they are really trying to keep things up-to-date this cycle). Rivals still has Patterson as a 3* player, which drags down the ranking. I expect he will jump to a 4* soon on Rivals and continue a march toward the top 150. I have him right where 247 has him, just inside the top 100. I think his potential is greater, but you always want to see how a player reacts to the added weight as they grow and mature.

North Carolina pursued heavily and was long regarded as the leader. South Carolina also worked Patterson long and hard for his commitment. Just as of two weeks ago they thought they had him in their camp. LSU tried to jump in late, but Clemson had quietly and patiently built a relationship with the family. Muschamp continues to struggle for another cycle on the recruiting trail and Clemson continues to be able to go into North Carolina and pluck out the talent it really wants.

Clemson added another top LB and of course it was Venables who recruited him.

the dumbest decision Bob Stoops ever made was to push Venables out so he could give the job to his moron brother. Great for Clemson, a disaster for Oklahoma

I've always wondered if the reason Bob resigned was because it finally dawned on him Mike was such a clown he had to be fired and he just didn't have the heart to fire him.

Mike the Kentucky coach? He’s been doing pretty damn good in my book. I remember the OK days through....

No, Kentucky is Mark Stoops, and you're right, he's done a very good job..

Mike was Co-DC with Venables (And Bob spent all his time on D, including standing in the middle of the D-backfield during practice) and got the head coach at Arizona long enough to destroy the program and possess the longest losing streak in Power 5, maybe in college football. He was out of work until Bob hired him and pushed Venables out the door.

The defense and D recruiting immediately started down hill and finally got so bad Riley fired him the week after the Texas game. No one else would hire him until Saban, long time friend of the Stoops family, gave him a staff job where he doesn't interact with players.

Last edited:
Texas A&M added an OL that everyone in the country wanted. Aggie recruiting has gotten better since Jimbo arrived and this one is big, both literally and figuratively

Alabama looking to get commitments from the Brockermeyer twins and JC Latham soon. Looks like rumors of our recruiting demise were a tad premature

Big day for Oklahoma State. Two great Texas wide receivers--twin brothers--committed to Oklahoma State

Okla State doesn't get many players this highly ranked. They should because Gundy is a hell of a coach, but they don'T

Twink,

I am assuming you get Dellinger on the 24th (edit: maybe not now --OSU made a huge push)... okay so 50/50 shot

High School 15 minutes from me...a powerhouse forever but have stunk recently...but have 2 guys on OL going to P5 programs (the other is down to UM,PSU and ND basically---although LSU is an official visit---these two are not friends--two different personalities).

Dellinger has wanted to forge his own path for a long time and get out of state.

Good get if it happens for LSU, but obviously the newer OSU news I read makes it seem 50/50.

Last edited:
Really doubt he goes to LSU but will do
Outside the obvious issues in the past, it would be a great get. I’m sure most know the Manning/LSU backstories.

Doubt he goes to Ole Miss. Cant see the family endorsing Joey Freshwater.

All our guys are worried that Cutcliffe will have a real inside track here believe it or not.
Either way, that guy will be involved somewhere somehow

Twink,

I am assuming you get Dellinger on the 24th (edit: maybe not now --OSU made a huge push)... okay so 50/50 shot

High School 15 minutes from me...a powerhouse forever but have stunk recently...but have 2 guys on OL going to P5 programs (the other is down to UM,PSU and ND basically---although LSU is an official visit---these two are not friends--two different personalities).

Dellinger has wanted to forge his own path for a long time and get out of state.

Good get if it happens for LSU, but obviously the newer OSU news I read makes it seem 50/50.
Would be huge. Would like to start that trend of grabbing lineman from MI.....decent pull last year too

After it’s all done he will be the biggest/most sought after recruit to come out of LA.
I’d reallllllly watch Clemson here as well.

I can tell you that the family is dead serious on all the “offers/recruiting” blockades.
He is guarded big time. I know a grandparent (see him shake hands kinda way).....not the famous one though. But the famous one is a good guy, too

Can’t wait to see Arch Manning’s High School Season

@twinkie13 keep us updated. Rumor around my connections are that he likes LSU in 23
Where’s your guy from?

The family will be more cordial to LSU and we will get an honest look unlike the other relatives before, this is very true. But that should not be taken as LSU is big time in the picture at all. I feel that’s what people feel, however. At least LSU hopefuls.

Jamie Howard’s kid is also on deck and a QB legacy obviously

Tahoe nice job in here. I hope this picks up at CTG.
Better quality posters and eliminate so much of the crootin “boards”

After it’s all done he will be the biggest/most sought after recruit to come out of LA.

Boy, that's high praise indeed. When I think of all the talent to come out of Louisiana it's amazing to think this kid could be the best.

Oklahoma got one a few years ago named Brent Rawls our of Shreveport Evangel. He didn't pan out (mainly I think because he liked to party too much. He got drunk and fell out of the back of pickup at one point and was always in Stoops' doghouse) but boy did he have the talent,

Boy, that's high praise indeed. When I think of all the talent to come out of Louisiana it's amazing to think this kid could be the best.

Oklahoma got one a few years ago named Brent Rawls our of Shreveport Evangel. He didn't pan out (mainly I think because he liked to party too much. He got drunk and fell out of the back of pickup at one point and was always in Stoops' doghouse) but boy did he have the talent,
I remember Rawls. Jacob Hester’s starting QBs at Evangel were:

Brock Berlin (Florida and NFL)

John David Booty (USC and NFL)

Brent Rawls (Oklahoma and like you said lol)

Pretty sick run, huh?

Where’s your guy from?

The family will be more cordial to LSU and we will get an honest look unlike the other relatives before, this is very true. But that should not be taken as LSU is big time in the picture at all. I feel that’s what people feel, however. At least LSU hopefuls.

Jamie Howard’s kid is also on deck and a QB legacy obviously
I remember him beating out Loup and Daigle as a true freshman in 1992. Part of the #1 class in the country.

I’d reallllllly watch Clemson here as well.

We’ve done alright recruiting that state too. No clue if Manning is a possibility though

Twinkie's going to be happy about this--LSU got the Howard kid for the 22 class.

I guess this means Manning is going elsewhere

Not necessarily. Max Johnson( yes that Johnson’s kid) and Garrett Nussmeier ( yes that Nussmeier’s kid) on board and Howard wasn’t going anywhere else( at least I believe)

But like I said, LSU isn’t close to the front runner here. Plenty of time I’ve posted in here who I think are the big players right now and the whole way

We’ve done alright recruiting that state too. No clue if Manning is a possibility though
Doubtful. Hire Dabo and it’s a done deal maybe lol.

Y’all have done ok. Moses stung.....some of the others, eh.

Last year made a lot alright however!!!!

Oregon landed Troy Franklin, top WR in California.

Everyone was after this kid, LSU, Bama, Oklahoma, Texas, aTm, but the Ducks' recruiting has been red hot for two years now

The new coach at Arkansas is doing a very good job of recruiting. Just got a QB a lot of people wanted earlier in the week, now he gets a RB out of Oklahoma that OU and Okla State offered and a bunch of other good schools--LSU, Texas, aTM, Micigan--offered.

Not unusual for a kid from Oklahoma to go to Arkansas, but definitely unusual for one to do it when OU and Okla State both offer

The new coach at Arkansas is doing a very good job of recruiting. Just got a QB a lot of people wanted earlier in the week, now he gets a RB out of Oklahoma that OU and Okla State offered and a bunch of other good schools--LSU, Texas, aTM, Micigan--offered.

Not unusual for a kid from Oklahoma to go to Arkansas, but definitely unusual for one to do it when OU and Okla State both offer

Pittman was a great recruiter at UGA

One of the top TE in the country committed to Tennessee. Everybody wanted Hudson Wolfe. He is a Tennessee kid so it's big for the Vols

The Tide is starting to roll. Added Christian Leary, one of the best WRs in the country.

The Tide is starting to roll. Added Christian Leary, one of the best WRs in the country.

He can fly. This WR class starting to resemble our 2017 class

Back