• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] First we'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we have experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

NFC Championship: 49ers vs. Eagles Discussion Thread

Before I get into this, are you an Eagles fan? It sucks to debate with frans

I don't think the Eagles defense is overly special if that's what you're asking, Niners D-line is propbably best in the league in the last 5 years at minimum. That's why I can't much of this serious.
Yes I am. But I also don’t think I let that cloud my views. In fact, I’m normally very critical about them.

Reactions: KJ
It's certainly no more imposing than Dallas

It's good, take it as a compliment

I
Completely believe it. Purdy has seen nothing like what he will be in for in Philly. He was shaky against Dallas. In SF. You think he’ll be better against a far superior D on the road?

Purdy was 19/29, 200+ yards, threw the ball into some tight windows and, most importantly, took care of it with no picks. He did exactly what Shanahan wanted.

I wouldn't call that shaky. I'd call it executing the game plan, and executing it well.

Last edited:
Eagles can get after the QB. I think this will be a tough spot for Purdy on the road. Shanahan will have a great gameplan as usual. Should be fun.

Purdy was 19/29, 200+ yards, threw the ball into some tight windows and, most importantly, took care of the ball with no picks. He did exactly what Shanahan wanted.

I wouldn't call that shaky. I'd call it executing the game plan, and executing it well.

I've been very critical of Purdy and THIS was one of his most impressive games. He's made a lot of mistakes this last month and he's gotten away with them. Dropped pick 6s, almost taking 20 yard sacks, etc. The #s don't show any of that and everyone thinks he's been slinging it all over with no issues.

Yesterday was perfect.

Cowboys IMO have a better pass rush and couldn't have been any better prepared for the 9ers than any other team in the league yesterday.

9ers also run the same scheme as Eagles - Wide 9 and I'd say they do it with a superior front 6/7.

I've been very critical of Purdy and THIS was one of his most impressive games. He's made a lot of mistakes this last month and he's gotten away with them. Dropped pick 6s, almost taking 20 yard sacks, etc. The #s don't show any of that and everyone thinks he's been slinging it all over with no issues.

Yesterday was perfect.
Diggs dropped a pick and Purdy almost took a 20 yard sack on a scramble deep in Dallas territory, rolling back and left and managed to heave it away. He was perfect for a 7th round talent.

I really don't see anything that would make someone bet on the Eagles here. What a shit spot coming off an insanely wild scene Sat night beating a very poor NYG team

Fading Brock is an angle, fading Hurts is too

Should be a low scoring game and Niners much the best apples to apples

Eagles off last night against NYG is a dream come true for SF

Shanny is a concern, Siriano is light years ahead of him in play calling, not being stubborn

Thinking about 24-13 Niners and unlike last week that isn't drunk speak, it sounds about right

Problem this time of year is deciphering fans from those who make good points

Me and the 9er buddies loved everything about Saturday night. Couldn't have played out any better.

Diggs dropped a pick and Purdy almost took a 20 yard sack on a scramble deep in Dallas territory, rolling back and left and managed to heave it away. He was perfect for a 7th round talent.

He's done about 3 of each of those in each 1h for the last 6 weeks. Dallas D was a nightmare matchup led by the 2nd best DC in football.

Yesterday was perfect.
My short term memory is bad on this stuff, wasn't there a pass that Boys had in their hands & should have intercepted and at a critical time?

My short term memory is bad on this stuff, wasn't there a pass that Boys had in their hands & should have intercepted and at a critical time?
Never mind

Frankly if Purdy wins these next two games against what are basically the top 3 NFL MVP candidates in the league it will be one of the all-time stories in Super Bowl history.

Cowboys IMO have a better pass rush and couldn't have been any better prepared for the 9ers than any other team in the league yesterday.

9ers also run the same scheme as Eagles - Wide 9 and I'd say they do it with a superior front 6/7.

Eagles led the NFL in sacks during the season (70) and the Chiefs weren't a close second (with 55). Cowboys came in at 54.

I didn't realize how many sacks the Eagles had until it was flashed on the screen Saturday night. Big #,

Eagles led the NFL in sacks during the season (70) and the Chiefs weren't a close second (with 55). Cowboys came in at 54.

I didn't realize how many sacks the Eagles had until it was flashed on the screen Saturday night. Big #,

A ton. Still think Lawrence/Parsons is pretty elite.

Frankly if Purdy wins these next two games against what are basically the top 3 NFL MVP candidates in the league it will be one of the all-time stories in Super Bowl history.

It sure would but it doesn't hurt having the best RB, the best offensive weapon in Debo, a top 2 TE, and the best LT.

Also, Jimmy G will be active this weekend. The team loves this guy and he crushed through rehab just to get out there as a backup for a team he won't be playing for next season. A walking halftime speech is GQ.

I like Hurts escapability against aggressive SF pass rush
I felt Dak had to run more to have success. Hurts will.
On the flip side the one area of weakness with Purdy is when you force him to his left. He immediately gets out of throwing position and looks at the rush. SF’s interior line in my eyes is not a strength of there’s and will struggle vs a defense that has 4 players with 10+ sacks.
We’re set up to have 2 great games on Sunday.

2u bet (5u is max) on Philly ML -136. If Purdy goes into Philly and wins on the road in that environment so be it. To me, SF got crushed by the only elite team they faced this year (KC - gave up 43 points) - beat up a bunch of mediocre teams in this run. Though I don't really think there are any elite teams this year, especially defensively. Philly led league in sacks and has great corners. Hurts is healthy enough. Again, if he goes in there and wins straight up I'll pay to see it and tip my cap. And he very well could - not a max bet by any stretch.

I can say without fandom that all the attention to Purdy for this and not Hurts (even if he wasn't injured), in a championship game....is hilarious.

I really don't think QB play is where this is won or lost

I've got 8.75u with an average of 21-1 on 9ers to win it all. Basically every free play or bonus enhancer I like to toss on futures. So almost 9 --> 175u.

I will not be betting on SF as I did up through yesterday.

I'd like to at least cover my risk - should have jumped on the -125s. -145 makes hedging pricier.

I assume 9ers would be PK vs. Cinci and similar dogs to Chiefs?

I've got 8.75u with an average of 21-1 on 9ers to win it all. Basically every free play or bonus enhancer I like to toss on futures. So almost 9 --> 175u.

I will not be betting on SF as I did up through yesterday.

I'd like to at least cover my risk - should have jumped on the -125s. -145 makes hedging pricier.

I assume 9ers would be PK vs. Cinci and similar dogs to Chiefs?
One hedge idea on top of the obvious Philly ML would be AFC over NFC in the SB....keep that one in mind

49ers are built to beat eagles if you asked yourself the eagles weakness this year was stopping run

Around that time Philly looked bad in a win at houston...lost skins lost colts even packers looked vulnerable

I said niners would win forecasting a likely matchup

Im usually on the better defense and run d. The Philly defense has given up lots of backdoors this season, and rush yards.

As we sit here today though.....I think Philly is the side. Better overall talent, ceiliing as a team, dynamic ability, weapons, and defensively they brought another gear vs the giants....the Philly d is still talented as heck even with some shortcomings this year

think the question is what changed since the bad stretch for Philly and what quality of defense do we project to see against the niners

For my money eagles secondary/pass d is absolutely better than Dallas, they havnt been real stout against the run tho, that why I’d def argue niners d better cause they stop the run on the way to the qb. Of course I totally think niners secondary can be had over the top so they both have ways to be attacked and both these teams are pretty well equipped to attack the weakness. The way I think both teams function best is with a dominating run game so naturally I have to lean niners cause I think their power running matches up better with eagles wide 9 than eagles zone read matches up w niners speed and ability to shut down run games. It tough to say which oline is better they both good but I think niners oline will have a easier time moving eagles dline than vice versa. Maybe it turns out tough for both teams to punch it in tho and the potential big plays I think Philly can hit make the difference. I don’t think there much a world where niners get out rushed and I feel like these teams both thrive when their run games are working. Hurts gonna have to be fantastic w his legs and the deep bal, I think this game falls on his shoulders way more so than Purdy who should just have to compliment the run game not win the game like hurts has to running and throwing for philly.

49ers are built to beat eagles if you asked yourself the eagles weakness this year was stopping run

Around that time Philly looked bad in a win at houston...lost skins lost colts even packers looked vulnerable

I said niners would win forecasting a likely matchup

Im usually on the better defense and run d. The Philly defense has given up lots of backdoors this season, and rush yards.

As we sit here today though.....I think Philly is the side. Better overall talent, ceiliing as a team, dynamic ability, weapons, and defensively they brought another gear vs the giants....the Philly d is still talented as heck even with some shortcomings this year

think the question is what changed since the bad stretch for Philly and what quality of defense do we project to see against the niners

We agree on a lot. I think it tough to say eagles are more talented, I think these rosters are incredibly close tho. To me the big question is which run game do you think will have the edge? Both these teams at their best when they running teams into the ground. I think Philly run game will have to be a lot of hurts running on passing plays cause I just don’t think the zone read game will be effective vs niners and I think niners can maul eagles on the ground. Im pretty confident niners would have destroyed giants also, that game didn’t impress me other than the fact it was important to see Philly play like they were pre hurts injury and they def did that. It gonna be a great game, I think it be foolish to be overly confident in either side cause I think it a toss up. One last thing I think niners have a edge, I think they are far more battle tested, we can slam either teams schedule this season but the majority of this niners team been in and won a bunch of big playoff games the last 4 years where as this a totally new experience for virtually everyone on Philly:

Revenge Game For Purdy!

Jalen Hurts and Brock Purdy meet again.

This time it will be on January 29, when the San Francisco 49ers meet the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC Championship Game at the Linc.

The quarterbacks will be hard-pressed to repeat their 2019 contest when Oklahoma and Iowa State dueled in a Big 12 contest.

The game wasn’t settled until a late two-point conversion pass by Purdy was intercepted by Parnell Motley with 24 seconds left.

Final score: Oklahoma 42, Iowa State 41.

Revenge Game For Purdy!

Jalen Hurts and Brock Purdy meet again.

This time it will be on January 29, when the San Francisco 49ers meet the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC Championship Game at the Linc.

The quarterbacks will be hard-pressed to repeat their 2019 contest when Oklahoma and Iowa State dueled in a Big 12 contest.

The game wasn’t settled until a late two-point conversion pass by Purdy was intercepted by Parnell Motley with 24 seconds left.

Final score: Oklahoma 42, Iowa State 41.
I do love how Purdy is being the basis for most arguments and Hurts isn't when just a year ago a completed pass over 3 yards for Hurts was amazing

Last edited:
I do love how Purdy is being the basis for most arguments and Hurts isn't when just a year ago a completed pass over 3 yards for Hurst was amazing
Purdy has to be the topic when he’s in the situation he’s in as a rookie 7th rounder. Playing on the road has to be a topic of discussion with a rookie QB no?

Purdy has to be the topic when he’s in the situation he’s in as a rookie 7th rounder. Playing on the road has to be a topic of discussion with a rookie QB no?
Well I'm an ISU die hard and get it, entire fan base is wearing tee shirts and posting pics on social media.

That said I do think there is virtually no difference between him and Hurts, that topic is self-inflamed if you need a topic. They're both in uncharted territory and I highly doubt either will be the difference in the game

Well I'm an ISU die hard and get it, entire fan base is wearing tee shirts and posting pics on social media.

That said I do think there is virtually no difference between him and Hurts, that topic is self-inflamed if you need a topic. They're both in uncharted territory and I highly doubt either will be the difference in the game
I think Hurts running when nothing is there can be a factor.
I like the ISU connection. Ironically my biggest bet in the last year plus was Purdy’s last game at ISU. Took Clemson in the Cheez It Bowl. ISU had key players opt out and I thought Purdy played his ass off despite a key mistake or 2.

Fwiw, heard Tiki Barber saying playing in Philly as an opposing player is a different animal.
We’ve weeded out the average and are about to embark on legit conference title games.

Only non cover for the 9ers in their last 2 playoff runs was the SB loss to Chiefs where they led by 10 in the 4th. 5-1 ATS.

Please tell me some of you are not saying that Purdy and Hurts “are basically the same?”
That’s what I think some are saying. To ignore there’s a rookie coming into Philly vs a tough D would not be prudent. Id take Hurts over Purdy in Philly all day every day.

You wanted Dallas playing on Saturday after Monday?

The extra WC money grab makes this possible.

Add in, the worst 3 seed possible as well.
Not what I said I don’t think a team should be playing on Monday night while the team they might play has been resting for 48 hours, especially if they not even the 1 seed.

The Eagles aren't some juggernaut lol, not that the Niners are either

But I can't agree with much of anything you said above

I would favour Niners by 3.5 on neutral so pk makes sense

What is the reasoning for "Road game in Philly will shake Purdy?" That sounds like a kindergarten statement. Why?

Don't get me started about the defenses....that you think the PHI o line and d line are both better makes me feel like this is some fandom bullshit and I'd rather watch tennis.

Thanks for the reply I guess, it's basically wrong all over but enjoy your week of doing whatever Eagles fans do for a week before a big game, hopefully it's productive.
You do realize the division that the 9ers “superior” D line spent much of the season shutting down right? I would take every NFC East team over every other NFC west team except POSSIBLY Seattle/Washington. As stupid as you find my arguments, I find yours just as absurd.
Oh, and you have seen the sack numbers I’m assuming?

You do realize the division that the 9ers “superior” D line spent much of the season shutting down right? I would take every NFC East team over every other NFC west team except POSSIBLY Seattle/Washington. As stupid as you find my arguments, I find yours just as absurd.
Oh, and you have seen the sack numbers I’m assuming?
I can't talk gambling with fans, will check back in Sunday...it just turns everything cloudy. Just me, sorry.

That you asked if I know sack numbers is insulting enough...thanks.

Back