• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Coaching Carousel Thread

The Sean Lewis hire is very good I think. Mike Zimmer is a name, although not sure that is as good of a hire as the name implies. If he was interested I could see him being an excellent analyst though. When was the last time he coached college? I could see him being a little too complex and not as well versed in what college Os do now.
Complexity certainly wasn't his forte on offense at Minny

Looking like the Brohm/Louisville dance might continue on further than I expected and/or hoped. Brohm out recruiting and telling families he’ll be at Purdue next year (sounds like recruits parents in one case really pushed yesterday and he stuck with the story…but that’s how this game works anyway)

Demling (Louisville media) who’s probably the one I trust the most (he’s very close with the brohms and doesn’t speak out of turn) reiterating to Louisville folks last night that it’s no where near done but that was to be expected it would take time…

Last edited:
Looking like the Brohm/Louisville dance might continue on further than I expected and/or hoped. Brohm out recruiting and telling families he’ll be at Purdue next year (sounds like recruits parents in one case really pushed yesterday and he stuck with the story…but that’s how this game works anyway)

Demling (Louisville media) who’s probably the one I trust the most (he’s very close with the brohms and doesn’t speak out of turn) reiterating to Louisville folks last night that it’s no where near done but that was to be expected it would take time…
Saw that Deion Branch is coaching Ville in the Bowl game so anything with Brohm could go into next year. That said if it does, it puts Purdue in a terrible situation

Saw that Deion Branch is coaching Ville in the Bowl game so anything with Brohm could go into next year. That said if it does, it puts Purdue in a terrible situation
Yeah either way Branch will be the coach in the bowl game even if Brohm comes on well before it. I'm pretty comfortable that Purdue has plenty of levers to pull to ensure this doesn't go past next week but each day of uncertainty hurts Purdue....was hoping it would be done and done one way or another right out of the gate.

For reference in 2018 the last time this dance played out Purdue locked Brohm up on November 28th. This go around the B1G title game probably moved the timeline back a week...i'd think worst case for both sides this thing is done one way or the other by this weekend.

If D Sanders can coach why not D branch? Ha
The players seen pretty enthused about it. I think the best thing that could have happened to Louisville is Satterfield leaving. Now they need to find someone. Brohm would be a home run for sure.

There's enough chatter today (Brohm's agent flying back from a golfing trip in Cali, rumors of 7 million/yr deal, etc...) that I think this is wrapped up by Thursday with Brohm being announced for Louisville. Purdue I don't think is going to unload the large B1G tv $ piggy bank available and play the game this go around to try to stop it.

No. If he was an NFL coach, he would have gone to the NFL. The best coaches want the toughest jobs. College guys aren't good in NFL and they know it. There is no recruiting in NFL. It is pure coaching and talent assessment.

Kingsbury is a man on fire. He went to the NFL and has done better than anyone expected. He is the kind of coach that succeeds in NFL.
The fact is lots of college coaches turn down the NFL. New England tried to hire Barry Switzer at one point. He turned them down and said, "I've got a better job now. If I took that job there would be more coaches applying for the OU job than want the New England job."

Now, with the money so big in college ball there are more who turn down the NFL.

A lot of coaches ignore everything but the job, but a lot consider what's best for their families first, and there are few places better for kids to grow up than a college town.
There are advantages both ways. I can understand both viewpoints

The Sean Lewis hire is very good I think. Mike Zimmer is a name, although not sure that is as good of a hire as the name implies. If he was interested I could see him being an excellent analyst though. When was the last time he coached college? I could see him being a little too complex and not as well versed in what college Os do now.

I really like that Lewis hire. I have no doubt Deion is going to do a good job at Colorado. That's a hard job, but I was impressed with what he did at Jackson St and I was impressed with his interview on Sixty Minutes. His image is all flash, but he's an old school guy and a tough guy.

I wasn't surprised at all when he told the Colorado players to transfer now so he could replace them. All coaches do a version of the same speech when they arrive, but with the portal he can clean house a lot faster than coaches have been able to do it in the past

I really like that Lewis hire. I have no doubt Deion is going to do a good job at Colorado. That's a hard job, but I was impressed with what he did at Jackson St and I was impressed with his interview on Sixty Minutes. His image is all flash, but he's an old school guy and a tough guy.

I wasn't surprised at all when he told the Colorado players to transfer now so he could replace them. All coaches do a version of the same speech when they arrive, but with the portal he can clean house a lot faster than coaches have been able to do it in the past
I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do-
It’s hard not to root for him-
At the very least, he is saying all of the right things- and, he is bringing a solid crew with him-
May turn me into a Buffalo fan….

Deion has hired board favorite Willie Taggart to the staff in a yet to be announced position. All BS aside he's got to be good at something to make it up the ranks like he did but I haven't heard any suggestions. Maybe a couple ounces of Prime will do the trick.
Gotta be honest that one I don’t get.

The fact is lots of college coaches turn down the NFL. New England tried to hire Barry Switzer at one point. He turned them down and said, "I've got a better job now. If I took that job there would be more coaches applying for the OU job than want the New England job."

Now, with the money so big in college ball there are more who turn down the NFL.

A lot of coaches ignore everything but the job, but a lot consider what's best for their families first, and there are few places better for kids to grow up than a college town.
There are advantages both ways. I can understand both viewpoints
I’ve thought a lot about this. Just going locally, for every Sean Payton there is a Brian Kelly, right? We all agree I think both are pretty respected coaches. Why does one prefer college to pro?
It’s gotta just be mindset. Like when I think about it, College seems like so much more a grind. Recruiting, boosters, academics(insert joke), NIL….man, fuck that.

I’d rather answer to one billionaire than 75 millionaires

Names are kind of all over the place at this point but the current buzz and name passed along to me is Leonard from Wiscy and bringing back Jamarcus Shephard (former assistant whom the players are clamoring to bring back as the head coach) as the OC

Other obvious targets are Dave Clawson and Tyson Helton

Nothing remotely solid though that I’m aware of but Bobinski (AD) has been on this well before this week. Brohm hasn’t been secret with Purdue about this possibility and why his extension last year included no additional buy out.

Last edited:
I’ve thought a lot about this. Just going locally, for every Sean Payton there is a Brian Kelly, right? We all agree I think both are pretty respected coaches. Why does one prefer college to pro?
It’s gotta just be mindset. Like when I think about it, College seems like so much more a grind. Recruiting, boosters, academics(insert joke), NIL….man, fuck that.

I’d rather answer to one billionaire than 75 millionaires
I agree with that for sure. College coaches have to work their asses off and it's almost a 24-7-365 job. Now with the portal they have to walk on egg shells with players more than ever. And in some jobs--Auburn is the prototype--the alums interfere constantly and make the job even harder.

There's one factor though where college coaches have a huge advantage. In almost every big college job the press coddles a coach. A coach has to screw up pretty badly before fans will allow the press to criticize their beloved school. In every NFL job the press is like a pack of lions in a feeding frenzy. Even one mistake and they are all over him

Sac State's Troy Taylor named Stanford HC

Complete 180 from Shaw's game planning, not sure he'll get the athletes there he needs to exceed but should be interesting

Kinda pisses me off. He did a good job!
At?

He's been top level douche of the coaching carousel for over a decade. His Texas Tech teams were about the worst thing about sports for awhile. Will never forget the popping the grenade celebration up a ton against one of the academies in a bowl game after 9/11. Complete trash.

I think Ticketeindow is referring to Coach Ken. He did do a god job. Navy's success is hinged on their QB. Don't have right QB and it's tough. But their D has really gotten good last couple years. Maybe administration thinks they are stuck in mediocrity and should compete for conference titles.

Now, Leach? Everything else aside, he's entertaining to have around.

Fischer has offered the aTm OC job to Bobby Petrino.

If I were the coach at any second tier school that lost a coach I'd hire Petrino in a minute. He's a loose cannon in some respects so he'd be a tough sell at an elite school, but he's an angel compared to Freeze.

I'd hire Art Briles too. If Freeze can get hired at a top school the Briles, who is a paragon of virtue compared to Freeze, deserves a second chance. If he had just admitted he did a disgraceful job of monitoring his players at Baylor instead of trying to avoid responsibility he'd probably already be coaching.

I was kind of liking the Dino Babers to Purdue rumor. Walters isn't a bad choice. Seems offensive head coaches have been what they usually go with.

I was kind of liking the Dino Babers to Purdue rumor. Walters isn't a bad choice. Seems offensive head coaches have been what they usually go with.
Monken got pretty close and what I was quietly hoping for but he wanted to stick around through the playoffs.

Beamer became a strange wildcard whose agent reached out to Purdue but seemed to end up being more of a bargaining chip on his own behalf.

Helton from WKU was probably the top on the list if all the other top targets (DeBoer, Monken, Beamer, etc...) weren't really viable

I don't think Babers was really ever a serious candidate but could've seen it. The rumor mill on this one the past few days was quite entertaining to watch. Bobo kept this all pretty close to the vest vs most coaching searches i've watched (Brohm I knew was heading to Purdue and was really the only main target in 2016 really early). This time around I couldn't even keep track and it was hard to get any actual info even from some folks whom normally can get it.

First defensive minded coach at Purdue since probably the late 70's. Will be interesting to see the staff he puts together.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. --- North Carolina announced on Wednesday the hiring of Randy Clements as its new offensive line coach. Clements replaces Jack Bicknell, who left for the same position at Wisconsin. Clements comes to Carolina after spending the 2022 season at North Texas.

The North Texas offensive line paved the way for 201.7 rushing yards per game, which ranked 24th nationally and second in Conference USA. The group ranked ninth nationally in both sacks and tackles-for-loss allowed, giving up 11 sacks all season and four TFL per game. As a result, UNT averaged 33.9 points and 453.8 yards per game, which ranked 29th and 20th in the country, respectively.

Sounds like Miss St is going to hire Zach Arnett to be head coach permanently. Wonder if he'll stick with the Air Raid?

Bobby Petrino to UNLV. That will be interesting on many levels.

kind of overshadows the HC. I wonder if Odom and Petrino have any former relationship?

He must still be viewed as damaged goods to not get an FBS HC offer he liked

Nothing official, but there's a lot of smoke that Pete Golding (Bama DC) is taking the same job at Ole Miss. I think it is definitely time that we parted ways. May need to hire both new coordinators this offseason

Nothing official, but there's a lot of smoke that Pete Golding (Bama DC) is taking the same job at Ole Miss. I think it is definitely time that we parted ways. May need to hire both new coordinators this offseason
Curious the realistic pulse there w/how long Saban has left. Current climate has to age coaches incrementally

Not sure if he's the kind that wants to leave it in the right hands or does the whole "job's done, who's next?" approach

I see all the stuff about him maybe wanting to try pros once again, doubt that's worth much but can't imagine he enjoys the portal and NIL stuff

I won't be shocked if JH hits the pros this time around. Obviously, that requires an offer.

No love lost with the AD.

Also, you'll hear some stuff soon enough regarding the program (nothing huge) that could be part of this.

I just hope it happens soon. They cannot afford to have this drag out all month like last year.

I won't be shocked if JH hits the pros this time around. Obviously, that requires an offer.

No love lost with the AD.

Also, you'll hear some stuff soon enough regarding the program (nothing huge) that could be part of this.

I just hope it happens soon. They cannot afford to have this drag out all month like last year.
If it's true, not sure how he turns down that Denver offer

Getting paid like an elite WR seems legit

Back