• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

LIV Tour

Seriously????

Yes, why wouldn't he? Just like Kevin Na did. It's a strategic move so they can't be "suspended" or put on leave. They're no longer members so can't be punished. And can still play in the majors. It's the smart thing to do.

What is the format?

All 48 players compete against each other in a traditional stroke play format, with the lowest 54-hole total from the no-cut event being the winner, while a draft will help allocate players into the team format.

Each team will have a LIV appointed team captain who will select their three open team positions via a snake draft format, similar to those used on the Ladies European Tour in the Aramco Team Series.

For the first two rounds, the best two stroke play scores will count for each team. For the third and final round, the best three scores will count, with the lowest overall team score after 54 holes being named the team winner.

The format changes in the Team Championship, which is a seeded four-day, four-round, match play knock-out tournament. The top four seeds automatically receive a bye through the first round, with the remaining eight teams playing against each other to see who reaches the quarter-finals.

How much money will players earn?

The first seven events all have a prize purse of $25million, with $20m being distributed between the 48-man field and the remaining $5m being shared between the top three teams at the end of each week.

The winner will receive $4m (£3.2m), considerably more than the $2.7m awarded to Scottie Scheffler for his victory at The Masters and Justin Thomas secured for his PGA Championship success, while every player is guaranteed at least $120,000 just for completing 54 holes.

An Individual Champion will be crowned at the end of those events, with a $30m fund distributed for the top three players of the season, providing they have played in a minimum of four tournaments.

The prize purse doubles for the season finale in Miami and sees $50m allocated between each of the 12 four-man teams. Each player receives a 25 per cent cut of team earnings, with $16m awarded to the winning team and $1million for the team finishing 12th.

Yes, why wouldn't he? Just like Kevin Na did. It's a strategic move so they can't be "suspended" or put on leave. They're no longer members so can't be punished. And can still play in the majors. It's the smart thing to do.
He’s joking

He’s joking

He may have been. Outside of Na though, I'm not sure any of the other guys have resigned, so with it being DJ it may have been surprising to him.

He just resigned today, it's not like this was known even though everyone knew he was playing the LIV Tour and lost his sponsorship with RBC.

Branden Grace the top pick? Westwood? Wiesberger? Schwartzel?

It sounds like the teams will change every week, with the captains remaining the same for each week (not sure about this)...so maybe Grace is someone DJ thinks plays that course well or knows it better than others? Seems a bit odd to me too, but just trying to find a reason.

It sounds like the teams will change every week, with the captains remaining the same for each week (not sure about this)...so maybe Grace is someone DJ thinks plays that course well or knows it better than others? Seems a bit odd to me too, but just trying to find a reason.

It's not exactly worded well as far as if the captains will remain the same or not for each event, but there is absolutely a draft for each event.

This is what is says for each event...

Teams for London will be decided at The Draft on Tuesday, June 7. Each team will have a LIV appointed team captain who will select their 3 open team positions via a snake draft format. The captain will also be one of the four starting players.

Interesting note from the Athletic about a young player like Piot, that you are in a no cut event where you are guaranteed $120k for showing up. He’d rather than do that than struggle with cuts on the PGA Tour. It’s less work for more money.

Interesting note from the Athletic about a young player like Piot, that you are in a no cut event where you are guaranteed $120k for showing up. He’d rather than do that than struggle with cuts on the PGA Tour. It’s less work for more money.
Yup.

No guarantee he ever makes it full on the tour.

He's going. As this all evolves he'll have options.

DJ looked washed to me. He knows he can’t keep up anymore on tour. He wasn’t going to win another event.

Lol. I guess we’ll see as he will still be playing in the Majors, more than likely the US Open next week. None of these guys are excluded from any of the majors.

I do think those 2nd tier euros are who is gonna be the base of the tour in a few years if it's still going

I haven't seen the euro tour say they are banning anyone, so those guys who have some name value,

Then they have to hope some of the amateurs who take the 6m + start bonuses take off

A LIV golfer winning a major would be massive for them

I am intrigued this weekend for sure, after that press release Larry posted

I expect some cool stuff on the presentation, youtube is a super easy place to watch things with a smart tv on fire stick

At the very least, they are going to do what the xfl originally did, which is take risks, expecting interesting camera angles with shot info (spin rate, shot speed etc) in real time on the screen

Not everything will work, but the stuff that does the PGA broadcasters will implement as quick as nfl did with some of the xfl stuff, like the camera in the sky behind the play

Saudis tired of pouring billions into tech startups ?

At least here you have a professional league

Do they want a ROI?

These people have billions to waste

Are we not sure that they just wanted to have a professional sports league , and this relatively speaking to other ones has a pretty low cost of entry

Yep, I’ve thought the same thing. And if it goes for a few years, it WILL catch on and get some return anyway, even though it may not be what they’re after anyway.

China did something with soccer , and a couple of bigger names left for more money, but you had to live and play in a league in China ( and that money dried up)

These golfers can live where ever they want and 1/2 the tournaments are in the US

With the guaranteed money and purses , this has some legs I think

It doesnt even need to be a huge hit in the west

They are gonna get a huge asian audience with some of the golfers and media they have set up, and it will be big in the middle east

MBS could lose a few billion on this over 10 years and not notice

Sheikh Mansour has spent 1.7 billion on man city transfers in 12 years and his net worth is lower than MBS by a few billion

They love owning sports things

They couldn’t get a network deal? Or think networks wouldn’t touch em?

Just a macro first blush, I think this works. With half of it in the US, either way it’s a gotta be the biggest move in golf in forever right?

They couldn’t get a network deal? Or think networks wouldn’t touch em?

Just a macro first blush, I think this works. With half of it in the US, either way it’s a gotta be the biggest move in golf in forever right?
Ummm...think you're trolling but duh lol

Wonder if Tiger is holding out for a billion, cause surely he'd bring it back in worldwide

DJ is the start. Tiger is the finish

They offered him high 9 figs it was reported

Cant match Nike tho, and no way he does something to damage his reputation again

Tiger at this point in his career has no reason to be part of this.

He's down to basically majors as it is.
The reason why if they offer him a billion he can't turn it down right? It's what 8 matches?

Then again he turned down 900 million.

Tiger at this point in his career has no reason to be part of this.

He's down to basically majors as it is.

On the other hand, being down to basically majors is the exact reason he would make the jump. All of these guys will be able to play the majors, the USGA isn’t the PGA and they won’t stop them from playing.

On the other hand, being down to basically majors is the exact reason he would make the jump. All of these guys will be able to play the majors, the USGA isn’t the PGA and they won’t stop them from playing.
I smell two, well now three deleted posts incoming

That's my father you're talking about but damn you got him

Then again if you lived here would you really care at this point about Saudi money?

tiger-woods-house-1-56a3d0b23df78cf7727f6048-5b33c42bc9e77c00384cf295.jpg

You are a bit smarter than this.

A few things...

First of all, Tiger has basically indicated he's mostly majors only now. Why would he want to add a brand new schedule when this does nothing for his legacy?

Go ahead and re-read the USGA statement from today. Their wording is pretty interesting and would lead one to believe that this may not be the case next year.

One last thing... Do you think Tiger is going to give up potential chances for Ryder Cup captaincy etc? Again, that will be fluid but we have seen DJ is already concerned about this aspect.

Let's go back 10 years and I could see the scenario being totally different for Tiger.

The reason why if they offer him a billion he can't turn it down right? It's what 8 matches?

Then again he turned down 900 million.
8 matches alone is a lot more than he's willing to play at this point, and we haven't even included the majors.

The next 1-2 years will tell us the rest of the Tiger story as the health improves but he quickly nears 50 years old.

Most everything Tiger does is very calculated schedule wise.

With all the being said, the LIV tour will be fluid as can be. We've seen them switch many aspects even leading up to the first event. A lot of this is seemingly on the fly...

Look at the guys who committed.

DJ always has done his own thing. He's one of the biggest talents on tour but overall has been underwhelming as far as majors go. He's not a guy you see competing into his late 40s and being on the senior tour. He's gonna bank the money and run. This makes sense ...

Phil is always outside the box. As far as his PGA tour career, he's over 50 now so he's cemented his place there. As long as he can play majors and compete he won't care about the reputation too much. He's already got plenty of clouds over him.

Louis, Westy and other Euros may still be able to compete on their tour. Nothing is set in stone as of yet. No issue with these guys setting up retirement at their ages.

Some of the low 30s guys basically indicated they want to raise their families and be more active in that regard. Is this bullshit? I'd say somewhat but likely somewhat true as well. This is a great option for guys who likely won't be household names on tour anytime soon.

Lastly, a guy like Piot has two things in his favor. One is the money he can make right away. This likely isn't possible as he just turned pro. The other is youth. This situation will evolve and he may well have that PGA opportunity in the future.

A few things...

First of all, Tiger has basically indicated he's mostly majors only now. Why would he want to add a brand new schedule when this does nothing for his legacy?

Go ahead and re-read the USGA statement from today. Their wording is pretty interesting and would lead one to believe that this may not be the case next year.

One last thing... Do you think Tiger is going to give up potential chances for Ryder Cup captaincy etc? Again, that will be fluid but we have seen DJ is already concerned about this aspect.

Let's go back 10 years and I could see the scenario being totally different for Tiger.

No, I don’t necessarily think he will do it, I was just playing Devil’s advocate. You only need to play half of the LIV events to be included in the end of the year money/bonuses, and can still play the majors so it’s not entirely out of the realm of possibility but I don’t think Tiger would ever do it.

No, I don’t necessarily think he will do it, I was just playing Devil’s advocate. You only need to play half of the LIV events to be included in the end of the year money/bonuses, and can still play the majors so it’s not entirely out of the realm of possibility but I don’t think Tiger would ever do it.
Good point I should have mentioned. You are not required for all events.

Tiger isn't doing it unless something wild happens.

Onto the next point... I'm novice on this ... When more guys join so they stick with 48 or keep expanding? The list of potential guys in the next month or so floating around night supplant some of these lower guys? Shall see.

A few things...

As far as the USGA, it would seem to me if they were going to punish the players and not allow them to play the Majors, they would do it right out of the gate, especially with the US Open up next…almost to set the tone, so to speak. It would seem strange if they allowed it and then decided not to in the future…what would possibly change on their end, and how would they ever be more “upset” than they are right out of the gate with players defecting from the PGA to the LIV?

Back