• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

SEC Bowl Discussion

Seems y’all might get 3 LA WRs

Bama has many WRs and people seem to think these are takes strictly because they are from LA

Preston etc
To my knowledge, Saban has never taken a recruit that he didn't feel could help us on the field.

Back-to-back New Year's Day trips for bowls, now staying in state for Birmingham, yeah, that does not set up well for enthusiasm internally and externally.

The last time something like this happened (questioned how excited they would be in bowl after disappointing season, 7-5, and bowl selection) was the Music City Bowl when they drilled 6-6 Purdue. But if I remember, I think Gus took back play calling duties for that bowl game and he was on a mission to have some splash offense, and did. One of Gus' few bowl wins. The other, a 2015 trip to B-ham when 6-6 AU drilled 9-3 Memphis.

This does definitely feel different for Auburn.

Holgerson's bowl record is atrocious, 2-6 SU, 1-7 ATS at WVU and Houston.

Houston defense makes it interesting. Houston OL is pretty bad though.

Hard to find many motivational aspects for Auburn here. At least for Houston they get to prove themselves vs SEC opponent. I think case could be made that Houston could be a little flat too. Both had difficult losses to end their seasons and Birmingham Bowl doesn't figure to add much juice for either really. If Houston's impact players decide to play and Auburn keeps losing some to opt-out and transfer, that might be my deciding factor.

kinda feels like a dead under to me.

First SEC team takes the field tomorrow. Common sense says that Mizzou can't stop a ground game as potent as Army's, but with extra time to prepare, can the defense contain the option? I have to assume that Mizzou has much better talent, if they are disciplined and tackled well, they should win, right?

I haven't really watched much bowl stuff yet, trying to finish the work week and then I'm off until first week of Jan

I’d need a Mizzou update. Army looked pretty decent to me this year.

Personnel on Missouri as far as I can tell:

Missouri -
transfer - TE Daniel Parker Jr. (#2 TE)
transfer - TE Messiash Swinson (#3 TE)
injury - TE Niko Hea (#1 TE) - freshman Ryan Hoerstkamp (35 snaps) and walk-on Kibet Chepyator likely replacements
injury - S Martez Manuel (#1 tackler)
injury - DT Akial Byers (20 career starts in 52 games)
injury - OL Bobby Lawrence (rotational reserve, some prior starts)
injury - OL Zeke Powell (rotational reserve, some prior starts)
opt out - CB Akayleb Evans (8 starts at Mizzou this year, previously started at Tulsa)
opt out - RB Tyler Badie (1604 RY, #2 rusher has 150 RY)(also #1 receiver with 54 catches)
coaches - TE coach Casey Woods (also recruiting director) next OC SMU

Missouri's D was super thin last night at multiple positions, more than the list above tells, and then defensive guys left the game with injury as well. Pretty good showing by them in terms of dealing with Army for as bad as the run D numbers suggest coming into that game. Team could've and maybe should've won really.

Two SEC teams on the slate today. I'm not sure what to make of AU, but I lean Houston. I have no faith in TJ Finley, and I'd have to give the motivation edge to Houston, knowing that the opportunity to beat an SEC team is a big deal for the G5 teams. I think Miss St hangs one on Texas Tech pretty good, and that Mike Leach gives an amazing post-game interview

imo the best thing to play if you like Houston at all, or even if you dont honestly, is Deli over 80.5 receiving yards.

Missouri's D was super thin last night at multiple positions, more than the list above tells, and then defensive guys left the game with injury as well. Pretty good showing by them in terms of dealing with Army for as bad as the run D numbers suggest coming into that game. Team could've and maybe should've won really.

i think we see something similar with ville defense, power 5 teams with this much time should have the guys to slow down a option game if they interested in doing so, difference being ville is gonna put on a offensive show!

Houston coach Dana Holgorsen says team is healthy an "we're good to go." No other players have opted out other than Marcus Jones and Logan Hall.

Some updates to Auburn’s depth chart on offense: Jalil Irvin starting at center with Nick Brahms out. Kilian Zierer starting at right tackle with Brodarious Hamm out. Brandon Council back at left guard, where Tashawn Manning started the final three games of the regular season.

-- Defensive depth chart updates: Wesley Steiner will start at linebacker in place of Zakoby McClain. Owen Pappoe also listed as a starter at linebacker, though he did not go through pregame warmups with the team. Chandler Wooten is listed at Star but should start at linebacker alongside Steiner. Jaylin Simpson gets the top spot at cornerback with Roger McCreary opting out.

-- Defensive tackle Marquis Burks is in a walking boot and is not expected to play.
-- Grant Loy is not warming up with Auburn’s quarterbacks and does not appear to be with the team. Dematrius Davis will be T.J. Finley’s backup today. The former four-star signee has yet to see the field this season but garnered some attention during bowl prep.

Few possible passing showers in Bham but nothing to worry about. Auburn and over for me but don’t love either really. I think they’ll play inspired for Harsin even with all the MIA players. No one wants to lose in their backyard and especially how the end of the season went to shit on them. I’m expecting to see QB Davis get some action and it’ll be interesting to see what they have drawn up for him.

Didn't see the game, but not the expected result with Miss St. What happened there? SEC is 0-4 in bowls, but still 0-0 in bowls they care about lol.

I kinda think the Mayo Bowl will be one of the more competitive games of the bowl season. And I've loved Tennessee's chances in their game since the season ended.

Getting about time to start thinking about the CFP games, I'll post any thoughts in their respective threads. I haven't watched a single game of bowl season yet, maybe that can change today.

Didn't see the game, but not the expected result with Miss St. What happened there?

Wasn't known until pregame, but Miss St was without 3 DL including 2 starters and a starting S and his primary backup. Also was without both OTs, only Cross was expected. So the expected guys out and then these last minute discoveries...looked like it mattered. Especially on the OL and DL.

Texas Tech was dialed in on D, looked more like Miss State of 2020 than the 2021 Bulldog unit.

Texas Tech was pretty clearly interested in the game emotionally. Can't know unless players or staff confirm the mentality, but didn't look like Miss St was all that into the game. Miss St missed some throws and dropped some balls. Pretty sure I saw their D give up late 3rd Q. Miss St could never stop the run from the opening whistle. And then got beat over top later.

Why didn't Dematrius Davis play for Auburn yesterday? Buzz was how good he looked in bowl practices and it was implied he would play.

Davis could see his first action of the season in some capacity on offense since his role in practices this week has increased, and he has moved up the depth chart.

Finley isn't the guy next year, I can't imagine why they didn't atleast give him a few plays or a series yesterday especially after the good news on him from practice.

Wasn't known until pregame, but Miss St was without 3 DL including 2 starters and a starting S and his primary backup. Also was without both OTs, only Cross was expected. So the expected guys out and then these last minute discoveries...looked like it mattered. Especially on the OL and DL.

Texas Tech was dialed in on D, looked more like Miss State of 2020 than the 2021 Bulldog unit.

Texas Tech was pretty clearly interested in the game emotionally. Can't know unless players or staff confirm the mentality, but didn't look like Miss St was all that into the game. Miss St missed some throws and dropped some balls. Pretty sure I saw their D give up late 3rd Q. Miss St could never stop the run from the opening whistle. And then got beat over top later.
Makes sense. I usually don't complain about the direction of the game, but I do hate that most bowls have lost their luster. As I mentioned, I haven't even watched a game yet, and since the weather was warm, I spent yesterday on the golf course. I'm locked into the CFP like most, and this is why I'm pro-playoff expansion: to give us more games that matter late in the year

Makes sense. I usually don't complain about the direction of the game, but I do hate that most bowls have lost their luster. As I mentioned, I haven't even watched a game yet, and since the weather was warm, I spent yesterday on the golf course. I'm locked into the CFP like most, and this is why I'm pro-playoff expansion: to give us more games that matter late in the year

I'll play the other side of that coin.

Who else from the SEC would be in the playoff in a 12 team format? Ole Miss? Bama already beat them. If you ask me Georgia shouldn't be in the playoff. Bama beat them. Each conference should only get 1 team. The results of the games already played should matter. You look to expansion as making more games matter, I look at it just the opposite. It makes fewer games matter - Ole Miss' hypothetical inclusion into an expanded playoff (second in division, already lost to division winner) Michigan State's inclusion into an expanded playoff (the THIRD team in their own division!). Oklahoma State's inclusion into an expanded playoff (they just lost to Baylor how the hell does that deserve them something more?).

There are things about major college football that are pushing me away. I know I'm in the minority and I know people think expanding the playoff would just be super, but for me, it actually will have the opposite effect.

Who else from the SEC would be in the playoff in a 12 team format? Ole Miss? Bama already beat them. If you ask me Georgia shouldn't be in the playoff. Bama beat them. Each conference should only get 1 team. The results of the games already played should matter. You look to expansion as making more games matter, I look at it just the opposite. It makes fewer games matter - Ole Miss' hypothetical inclusion into an expanded playoff (second in division, already lost to division winner) Michigan State's inclusion into an expanded playoff (the THIRD team in their own division!). Oklahoma State's inclusion into an expanded playoff (they just lost to Baylor how the hell does that deserve them something more?).

There are things about major college football that are pushing me away. I know I'm in the minority and I know people think expanding the playoff would just be super, but for me, it actually will have the opposite effect.
I get what you're saying, and I feel the same way largely. I'm not talking about if games should matter, but if they do matter. And you're 100% correct that expanded playoffs will dilute the regular season, but it will keep more teams alive longer into the season. In a typical year, only a handful of games are meaningful after Halloween. Players opting out, immediate transfer, etc is how it is now, and taking the lesser of two evils, I'd rather see 25-30 teams with playoff hopes the last 3 weeks of the season rather than 6 and the rest of the teams start having players quit. It will definitely take away from the upsets of the Alabamas, Ohio Sts, Clemsons, etc, because they won't matter as much, but it does allow all the conferences to stay relevant, at least until the playoffs start. It's where we are heading, might as well embrace it

The playoff don’t matter to me any more than any other bowl game, only difference is don’t have to worry bout motivation but I like to think for most part these kids motivated to win any bowl they play just the same as I’m motivated to win at anything I do, what else the point in playing? The other Bowls don’t matter narrative kills me, none of it matters in the grand scheme of things, either you into competition and competing or you not.

The playoff don’t matter to me any more than any other bowl game, only difference is don’t have to worry bout motivation but I like to think for most part these kids motivated to win any bowl they play just the same as I’m motivated to win at anything I do, what else the point in playing? The other Bowls don’t matter narrative kills me, none of it matters in the grand scheme of things, either you into competition and competing or you not.
I have no doubt that when the whistle blows, both teams are trying as hard as they can to win the game. But with good players choosing not to play, and motivation to prepare being diminished, they are not putting out as good a product as possible. I hope that one of the consequences of NIL is that there is an expectation on the players to earn their $ by more than just having a big name

Can't believe I didn't see that Texas Tech effort coming....in their last game of the year they played their ass off and almost beat Baylor. Now they're catching 2 scores from an average Miss St team? Awful

I get what you're saying, and I feel the same way largely. I'm not talking about if games should matter, but if they do matter. And you're 100% correct that expanded playoffs will dilute the regular season, but it will keep more teams alive longer into the season. In a typical year, only a handful of games are meaningful after Halloween. Players opting out, immediate transfer, etc is how it is now, and taking the lesser of two evils, I'd rather see 25-30 teams with playoff hopes the last 3 weeks of the season rather than 6 and the rest of the teams start having players quit. It will definitely take away from the upsets of the Alabamas, Ohio Sts, Clemsons, etc, because they won't matter as much, but it does allow all the conferences to stay relevant, at least until the playoffs start. It's where we are heading, might as well embrace it

Right, I know where it is going, but I can't embrace it. Actually hate it. The playoff games are literally the least important games of the entire season to me. I love The Season. At least for me, everything that really matters most, happens in those games September-November. And that is getting so annoying now that every week and so many of the stories get boiled down to one thing, the playoff. Can't stand it. Absolutely, thoroughly can't stand it. I hate playoff talk and the more teams that could make it in an expanded format will only widen that conversation. Hey - there is more to this sport and this game than the playoff!

To me, if we are going to have a playoff, there should be no human selection of the teams. Every team should know how to get into the playoff and that is, win your conference and you get to play for a national title. To me, literally every other single team is undeserving. And yes that includes 2011 Alabama and 2014 Ohio State.

I’ve always thought it is pure stupidity that teams who don’t win their conf can somehow compete for national championship. I don’t care if you happen to be in a conf with another great team, if you not best in your region how in gods name can you be best in the country!?!??? Of course since SEC is shoving as many teams they can into their conf it be impossible to get a true sec champ anymore anyways. I agree with you 100% on not liking at all the way things going but end of day all I really care about is games to bet, so whatever the fuck they have to do to give us more games where programs 100% bought in the better, even if it does make the regular season basically meaningless. Not as if ncaa alone, the NFL has been ruining football for me for years and only gets worse!!!

South Cakalacky carrying a bunch of dead weight on their shoulders.

Unless one counts Oklahoma's win as the SEC's first bowl win?

We all know bowl results create a bit of false perception, but it sure is fun to talk about still! Since South Carolina lost to Missouri, it's safe to say that South Carolina was the SEC's worst team, and the only winner to date, as a DD dog to boot! While favorites of TD (FL and Tenn) or DDs (Miss ST) lose outright. And Auburn losing to an AAC team, again. And Mizzou losing to Army. Go Army Beat SEC!

We all saw Max is gone. Nuss would be the easy starter but he sat to keep the red shirt.

Only other 2 QBs are walk ons
Jontre Kirklin is a Lutcher HS QB legend. I expect him to get alotta snaps. Other 2 QBs are walk ons.

Lotta wildcat I’m sure

Thanks for doing the SEC thread another year bro.

I’d wish you luck in the big game, but Bama makes its own for many of my years now lol

Thanks for doing the SEC thread another year bro.

I’d wish you luck in the big game, but Bama makes its own for many of my years now lol
Yeah man. Life's a lot busier than when I started posting here, glad to have this community to talk things we all enjoy.

Back