• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Thread for all Head Coaching Changes

What is the record for most coaching changes in a year? Feels like this is it. 28?

I hope and pray that Oregon hires the BYU coach
Can't see him leaving his alma mater when they're moving to P5 in the future

Still think Chip would be incredible, sounds like prying Aranda away is at or towards the top of their list

Love coach speak, crazy how serious people are about it

Some ISU fans might go lemming off a cliff if he ever leaves

I think I believe him but wouldn't fault him for a dream gig. For some reason (guessing some of us think like this too) he's really happy with building it up and maybe one day getting his name associated as a university landmark. Who knows? He's certainly been more than loyal.

If Cristobal can be like Dabo and hire top coordinators it might just work out. The guy is as good a recruiter as there is so his staff will determine how successful he will be. No doubt he is an upgrade over Mandy so its a start.

Love coach speak, crazy how serious people are about it

Some ISU fans might go lemming off a cliff if he ever leaves

I think I believe him but wouldn't fault him for a dream gig. For some reason (guessing some of us think like this too) he's really happy with building it up and maybe one day getting his name associated as a university landmark. Who knows? He's certainly been more than loyal.

There is something to be said for being happy where you are vs taking a job like USC where his job will be on the line constantly. Maybe Campbell desires being like the other coach in the state knowing his job is always safe.

There is something to be said for being happy where you are vs taking a job like USC where his job will be on the line constantly. Maybe Campbell desires being like the other coach in the state knowing his job is always safe.
I really don't think it's job security so much as leaving a legacy at this point. He obviously can own and build whatever he wants there and can go on to have a chance at a Natty somewhere, but maybe the guy would love for his family to grow up as royalty in Ames. Never know that kind of stuff

I kinda get the feeling his relationship with Pollard is tight and he might just be one of those guys who'd rather change a culture as opposed to revive one.

Jay Norvell, money.

Norvell made $625,000 annually at Nevada, and the Wolf Pack was reportedly willing to push him into the seven-figure range. It was unwilling to go to Colorado State territory, with the Rams expected to give him a five-year deal worth around $7.5 million if Norvell's salary matches that of Colorado State's last two head football coaches. Money talks, but so does support, and Colorado State offers more of that.

Reactions: KJ
Sounds like Joe Brady is going to be the offensive coordinator at Miami.
I know you hate Diaz but let's be real. If King doesn't get hurt last year, the entire program could be in a different place right now.

Give Mario talent and a good (not great) staff and they should be up top that conference

Manny was fucked with King's injury, no chance from there

I hope and pray that Oregon hires the BYU coach
Apparently Oregon asked for permission to talk to him.
Can't see him leaving his alma mater when they're moving to P5 in the future

Still think Chip would be incredible, sounds like prying Aranda away is at or towards the top of their list
BYU doesn't pay....
That being said, he has job security at BYU, he'd have a short leash at Oregon and I still want to see a larger sample size from him.

Apparently Oregon asked for permission to talk to him.

BYU doesn't pay....
That being said, he has job security at BYU, he'd have a short leash at Oregon and I still want to see a larger sample size from him.
I don't see the upside for Oregon if they go this way

Clearly I'm missing something

I don't see the upside for Oregon if they go this way

Clearly I'm missing something
I agree. Just telling you what I've heard. I don't think he'd be a good recruiter outside of the Poly community.

Reactions: KJ
I agree. Just telling you what I've heard. I don't think he'd be a good recruiter outside of the Poly community.
No doubt. Oregon are the most valuable football program in the Pac 12 by a margin last I saw

That program has a demand contract, not a begging one

I know you hate Diaz but let's be real. If King doesn't get hurt last year, the entire program could be in a different place right now.

Give Mario talent and a good (not great) staff and they should be up top that conference

Very disappointed Miami couldn’t rise to the top in otherwise odd year for the ACC

The best thing to happen to Miami was King getting hurt. If Tyler Van Dyke was not the QB for the majority of this last season Miami loses at least 7 instead of the 5 they did lose.

The best thing to happen to Miami was King getting hurt. If Tyler Van Dyke was not the QB for the majority of this last season Miami loses at least 7 instead of the 5 they did lose.
Healthy King is at worst a back up NFL QB for 2-4 years

You can't be serious (but I know your love for the Wilsons of America)

Healthy King is at worst a back up NFL QB for 2-4 years

You can't be serious (but I know your love for the Wilsons of America)
I am completely serious. King was terrible and Van Dyke was as good as any QB in the country from the time he took over. You probbaly don't watch much of Miami but Van Dyke is a sure first round pick and without him that team wasn't beating anyone.

I am completely serious. King was terrible and Van Dyke was as good as any QB in the country from the time he took over. You probbaly don't watch much of Miami but Van Dyke is a sure first round pick and without him that team wasn't beating anyone.
Dead serious, just did a shot of Scope after reading this and it was delicious

At the time it didn't feel that way, but in retrospect I agree, King going down was a blessing in disguise for Miami, nothing against King who played well for them, but by TVD getting the playing time he was able to show what he could do, so now the QB position is one Miami doesn't need to worry about headed into next year, TVD can sling it, might even be a Heisman candidate, that's how good he was. As far as the Cristobal hire, I was on record as saying I wanted Kiffin, but I have no problem with Cristobal, he's a hell of a recruiter, I don't think he's anything special as a game day coach, but there's no question he's one of the best recruiters in college, and when you consider the best high school football is played in his own backyard, and he knows the area as well or better than anyone, things can turn around quickly for Miami.

At the time it didn't feel that way, but in retrospect I agree, King going down was a blessing in disguise for Miami, nothing against King who played well for them, but by TVD getting the playing time he was able to show what he could do, so now the QB position is one Miami doesn't need to worry about headed into next year, TVD can sling it, might even be a Heisman candidate, that's how good he was. As far as the Cristobal hire, I was on record as saying I wanted Kiffin, but I have no problem with Cristobal, he's a hell of a recruiter, I don't think he's anything special as a game day coach, but there's no question he's one of the best recruiters in college, and when you consider the best high school football is played in his own backyard, and he knows the area as well or better than anyone, things can turn around quickly for Miami.
I don't know how anyone could watch Miami play this year and think otherwise.

Miami flopped and ultimately replaced Diaz because his defense was terrible.
Before becoming the head guy he was a DC, and a damn good one, highly respected, so the fact that Miami struggled defensively was especially disappointing, for whatever reason his teams just couldn't tackle. I've also heard stories about a lack of discipline within the program, players partying the night before games, and stuff like that, all of that will change under Cristobal, he'll bring the type of discipline and accountability that's been lacking here.

Respectfully gonna disagree here, TVD was just as good if not better than King, different type of QB, TVD is more of a drop back pro style QB, King is more of an athletic QB who isn't afraid to tuck and run, but if I were to list some of the issues Miami had this year, the QB position wouldn't be one of them.

Sounds like Joe Brady is going to be the offensive coordinator at Miami.
I haven't heard anything definitive, but I know there's mutual interest, and Brady is from Miami, but he'll have a lot of schools interested in him, so we'll see what happens

Respectfully gonna disagree here, TVD was just as good if not better than King, different type of QB, TVD is more of a drop back pro style QB, King is more of an athletic QB who isn't afraid to tuck and run, but if I were to list some of the issues Miami had this year, the QB position wouldn't be one of them.
For me, I think they built the team through protocol for King to succeed and had that talent

Can't blame the QB position, but you can only do things with the blue print given. Injury meant complete change in philosophy which is nuts these days, but it's also much more difficult to get a backup with King's skills into the system.

I get your take though, and CFB is so difficult to build depth these days

Whipple and Dominic Raiola both confirmed in today.

Hope that works...it's not like Whipple was a hit from day one at Pitt, it took time, and they could never run the ball worth a shit with him. A lot of success this year with a QB who had started 4 straight years. Does Nebraska have time if it doesn't click right away year 1?

Hope that works...it's not like Whipple was a hit from day one at Pitt, it took time, and they could never run the ball worth a shit with him. A lot of success this year with a QB who had started 4 straight years. Does Nebraska have time if it doesn't click right away year 1?

I think the offense will stay similar, really no reason to change it much. Attention to detail and red zone help, qb coaching is what needs to improve. And OL play too.

It reaches a certain point, the money just doesn't matter does it? If you are happy and making almost 10 million a year, does it really matter to make $13 million a year instead? How do you spend $95 million of the current 10 year contract in your lifetime even plus all the other accumulated wealth he has worked for in his life? They act like we'll just throw more money at him and he'll come, when you already make what he does, it doesn't move the needle I wouldn't think. It is about lifestyle and location and family - if you are happy there making $9.5 or $10 or whatever, why leave for $13?

It reaches a certain point, the money just doesn't matter does it? If you are happy and making almost 10 million a year, does it really matter to make $13 million a year instead? How do you spend $95 million of the current 10 year contract in your lifetime even plus all the other accumulated wealth he has worked for in his life? They act like we'll just throw more money at him and he'll come, when you already make what he does, it doesn't move the needle I wouldn't think. It is about lifestyle and location and family - if you are happy there making $9.5 or $10 or whatever, why leave for $13?
It becomes a way of thought. I think like you and always will.

Actuaries all over think about other things like percent above previous and how it compares to others...I hope to never be that guy.

I think the offense will stay similar, really no reason to change it much. Attention to detail and red zone help, qb coaching is what needs to improve. And OL play too.

Whipple throws it 40x a game. Weird fit for Frost philosophy?

Whipple throws it 40x a game. Weird fit for Frost philosophy?

I think the thinking here is to get an adult in the room on offense with him. Frost is very good, but he hamstrung himself with such an inexperienced staff on that side of the ball. He schemes better than about anyone which is why we're the only team other than Ohio St that goes up and down the field on Wisconsin every year and why we had so many explosive plays this year. Red zone is an issue, penalties have been an issue, QB turnovers have been an issue. Too much stupid shit. Cut the stupid in half (not just on offense either) and we're 9-3.

And when I say frost is very good, I mean as an OC. He's dogshit as a head coach as far as the in-game stuff.

Can the OLine improve significantly in one year at Nebraska? Can they get at least a B+ quarterback in the portal? Can they fix specials teams? Lots of question marks. This team can go anywhere from 4-8 to 7-5 next year depending on those things play out.

I don't know about anyone else, but this is atleast the third photo I've seen of people with Christmas trees that are really pushing the height limits on their ceiling

Back