• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

SEC Bowl Discussion

gps_3

Head of Alabama Department of Decision-Making

Wednesday, December 22​

MATCHUPTIME (CT)NAT TVTICKETSLOCATION

Missouri

Army
7:00 PMESPNTickets as low as $49Amon G. Carter Stadium, Fort Worth, TX
Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl

Thursday, December 23​

UCF

Florida
6:00 PMESPNTickets as low as $30Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL
Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl

Tuesday, December 28​

#20Houston

Auburn
11:00 AMESPNTickets as low as $48Protective Stadium, Birmingham, AL
TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl

Mississippi State

Texas Tech
5:45 PMESPNTickets as low as $59Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium, Memphis, TN
AutoZone Liberty Bowl

Thursday, December 30​

North Carolina

South Carolina
10:30 AMESPNBank of America Stadium, Charlotte, NC
Duke's Mayo Bowl

Tennessee

Purdue
2:00 PMESPNTickets as low as $103Nissan Stadium, Nashville, TN
TransPerfect Music City Bowl

Friday, December 31​

#17Wake Forest

#25Texas A&M
10:00 AMESPNTickets as low as $29TIAA Bank Field, Jacksonville, FL
TaxSlayer Gator Bowl

#4Cincinnati

#1Alabama
2:30 PMESPNTickets as low as $105AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX
CFP Semifinal at the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic

#3Georgia

#2Michigan
6:30 PMESPNTickets as low as $569Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens, FL
CFP Semifinal at the Capital One Orange Bowl

Saturday, January 1​

Penn State

#21Arkansas
11:00 AMESPN2Tickets as low as $83Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL
Outback Bowl

#15Iowa

#22Kentucky
12:00 PMABCTickets as low as $76Camping World Stadium, Orlando, FL
Vrbo Citrus Bowl

#7Baylor

#8Ole Miss
7:45 PMESPNTickets as low as $94Caesars Superdome, New Orleans, LA
Allstate Sugar Bowl

Tuesday, January 4​

LSU

Kansas State
8:00 PMESPNTickets as low as $35NRG Stadium, Houston, TX
TaxAct Texas Bowl

I know we already have a thread for the Alabama and UGA games, so I'll use those for the CFP discussion. Haven't even looked at the other games yet. Think there will be some roster shakeup for several teams, and no clue who is coaching for Florida or LSU. My local won't release for a few days anyway, so I'll likely wait until close to kickoff to make any bets

Just putting that there for context. LSU fans piled on Clark heavy…kid played his ass off. Dean and Anderson are more talented for sure, but this kid played above and beyond

I know stats don't tell the whole story, good or bad, but yeah, a lot of these awards are given to guys who play on the best teams, not who played the best

Auburn senior center Nick Brahms had knee surgery and is out for the bowl game. (33 starts and has played in 40 games)

Agree on Kentucky.

Just feels like I have faded Iowa so many times over the bowl seasons and it just bites me, over and over.
I think the Iowa style of football will suit UK just fine. Maybe those other games were against teams that weren't used to getting bludgeoned over and over?

Auburn senior center Nick Brahms had knee surgery and is out for the bowl game. (33 starts and has played in 40 games)
Is Nix expected to miss the bowl? I don't remember the prognosis and I'm too lazy to look it up right now

Might be a good idea to have a post where all the opt-outs and injuries are listed. I'll update this page as much as I can.

AU:
Nick Brahms C - out
Bo Nix QB - out
Owen Pappoe - out

Alabama:
Metchie WR - out

Last edited:
Early leans to Arky, MSU, and KY. Ky being one of my stronger plays of the bowl season.

we gotta have a talk bout sparty. 1st glance pitt is my favorite play of any bowl. what you like bout sparty? their pass d is awful, Pickett will carve them, pitt run d is really good so i cant see walker getting off. sparty prob hit a few shot plays if their wrs are back as everyone torches pitt secondary a few times but i cant see them consistently scoring drive after drive as im pretty confident pitt will be. what am i missing?

we gotta have a talk bout sparty. 1st glance pitt is my favorite play of any bowl. what you like bout sparty? their pass d is awful, Pickett will carve them, pitt run d is really good so i cant see walker getting off. sparty prob hit a few shot plays if their wrs are back as everyone torches pitt secondary a few times but i cant see them consistently scoring drive after drive as im pretty confident pitt will be. what am i missing?
Believe he's talking about Mississippi St, since this is an SEC thread lol

Believe he's talking about Mississippi St, since this is an SEC thread lol

oh cool, i almost asked if it was sparty or not, lol.. that why i never do msu with messy or sparty cause it confuses me!! Guess the sec thread shoulda tipped me off but im a retard and didnt even realize what thread i was in! lol. ignore me.

Missy St not Sparty. It's all good. I like the revenge angle with Leach.

Missy St not Sparty. It's all good. I like the revenge angle with Leach.

yea, im a dumbass, my bad.. im with ya, i didnt even realize texas tech won enough games to get a bowl, what is that line? i feel like messy is the way better team in this one!!

Put this in the other bowl thread for Houston who is playing Auburn.

Holgerson is a terrible bowl coach. 0-1 at Houston (lost straight up as 8pt fav). Go back to WVU, again terrible. He had that one great year with Geno Smith/Austin/Bailey in 2011 when they won 10 games...smashed Clemson in the 2011 Orange - BUT after that? just 1-5 SU and 0-6 ATS in bowls at WVU!
Dana Holgerson is 2-6 straight up in bowls and 1-7 ATS.

Put this in the other bowl thread for Houston who is playing Auburn.

Holgerson is a terrible bowl coach. 0-1 at Houston (lost straight up as 8pt fav). Go back to WVU, again terrible. He had that one great year with Geno Smith/Austin/Bailey in 2011 when they won 10 games...smashed Clemson in the 2011 Orange - BUT after that? just 1-5 SU and 0-6 ATS in bowls at WVU!
Dana Holgerson is 2-6 straight up in bowls and 1-7 ATS.

Gus was pretty bad at Auburn as HC. Did he coach the bowl last year?

Gus went just 2-6 in bowls with 3 losses as a favorite. Auburn lost their last two bowls '20 and '19. Would think the kids should be hungry for a post season win.

Harsin was 3-2 at Boise. Had two bad losses vs Washington and Baylor, but that bowl vs Washington was Peterson's final game. I kind of give Harsin a pass for that one, UW wasn't going to lose in his last game to his old team.

Texas Tech will be an interesting study. Their D had some bad headline type games, but they also played pretty well in others. I don't think Tech is all bad. Perception being that they fired their coach in October so they must've been awful, but not really so. Wins vs bowl teams in Houston, WVU and ISU and also lost a 1 point game to K St where they blew a lead.

Miss State did have a very nice year and the D is under rated there.

I get the revenge angle for Leach, he might want to make a statement vs them and if he is in position to do so, it will probably happen like that. Just think that Tech might have some resistance to offer. Let's not forget that Miss State did almost lose to LaTech, lost to Memphis and were down big vs Auburn before the largest comeback in school history. MSU actually had their two largest comeback wins in school history this season, vs Auburn #1, vs LaTech #2.

Two questions of the Kentucky - Iowa game:

How many turnovers will UK lose? And how will Iowa score points?

Just looked at the lines, kind of surprised to see Ole Miss a dog to Baylor. Is Corrall not playing?

Some of the SEC openers were mind blowing. I have tickets on Arkansas +4 and Tennessee +2.5.

How was Kentucky a dog to Iowa? How IS Ole Miss a dog to Baylor? WTF is going on here?

I laid A&M -6 as well. Over the second half of the season to schools not named Duke and BC, Wake gave up 56, 58, 52, 48, and 45. A&M has a really good defense and will be better than anything Wake has seen. Hartman looked AWFUL vs PITT and they aren't as close to as good as A&M. Don't think A&M punts.

Some of the SEC openers were mind blowing. I have tickets on Arkansas +4 and Tennessee +2.5.

How was Kentucky a dog to Iowa? How IS Ole Miss a dog to Baylor? WTF is going on here?

I laid A&M -6 as well. Over the second half of the season to schools not named Duke and BC, Wake gave up 56, 58, 52, 48, and 45. A&M has a really good defense and will be better than anything Wake has seen. Hartman looked AWFUL vs PITT and they aren't as close to as good as A&M. Don't think A&M punts.
on same but I haven't hit Arky yet.
but I have a disease, called takethesec/secwestvsanyone.

Ole Miss being a dog is…something. Corral is playing by all accounts and they should be as healthy as they’ve been in months. Lebby will likely be gone, but I don’t expect that much of an impact with Kiffin having 3 weeks to prepare.

Ole Miss being a dog is…something. Corral is playing by all accounts and they should be as healthy as they’ve been in months. Lebby will likely be gone, but I don’t expect that much of an impact with Kiffin having 3 weeks to prepare.
Baylor D front is no joke

Lebby is apparently coaching in the Sugar Bowl. I expect him to be very motivated to hang a number on Baylor given the way his time at Baylor ended and that his father in law is Art Briles.

We all saw Max is gone. Nuss would be the easy starter but he sat to keep the red shirt.

Only other 2 QBs are walk ons

Headlines said Elko or Jason Garrett were front runners. I found Garrett an odd but potentially interesting name.

I'm updating the complete bowl list of players out; Owen Pappoe, what is the nature of his expected absence from the upcoming bowl? Injury or opt out?

Also saw that McCreary and McClain were not at bowl practice. McClain announced NFL, not sure on McCreary?

I'm updating the complete bowl list of players out; Owen Pappoe, what is the nature of his expected absence from the upcoming bowl? Injury or opt out?

Also saw that McCreary and McClain were not at bowl practice. McClain announced NFL, not sure on McCreary?
Pappoe I'm pretty sure is an injury. The other two I think are opt-outs and going pro. McCreary is a potential 1st rounder so my assumption is that he's not playing to get ready for pro-day/combine, but I don't know that to be true

Not sure I'd really value the Bigsby loss a ton, being that RBs can be replaceable and that Jarquez Hunter looks to be special. The defensive players and OL players are worrisome for AU.

Not sure I'd really value the Bigsby loss a ton, being that RBs can be replaceable and that Jarquez Hunter looks to be special. The defensive players and OL players are worrisome for AU.
Don't know how you quantify this, or if you even can, but there aren't a lot of positive feelings around AU right now, at least if Twitter (lol) and my friends are any indication. A Tuesday morning game in Bham won't excite the fanbase, and I can see the team following suit. But I've also witnessed AU use all that negativity and turn it into the best performance of the season, so who knows? I've mentioned it a million times, I'm one of the worst at predicting AU games

Don't know how you quantify this, or if you even can, but there aren't a lot of positive feelings around AU right now, at least if Twitter (lol) and my friends are any indication. A Tuesday morning game in Bham won't excite the fanbase, and I can see the team following suit. But I've also witnessed AU use all that negativity and turn it into the best performance of the season, so who knows? I've mentioned it a million times, I'm one of the worst at predicting AU games

Back-to-back New Year's Day trips for bowls, now staying in state for Birmingham, yeah, that does not set up well for enthusiasm internally and externally.

The last time something like this happened (questioned how excited they would be in bowl after disappointing season, 7-5, and bowl selection) was the Music City Bowl when they drilled 6-6 Purdue. But if I remember, I think Gus took back play calling duties for that bowl game and he was on a mission to have some splash offense, and did. One of Gus' few bowl wins. The other, a 2015 trip to B-ham when 6-6 AU drilled 9-3 Memphis.

This does definitely feel different for Auburn.

Holgerson's bowl record is atrocious, 2-6 SU, 1-7 ATS at WVU and Houston.

Houston defense makes it interesting. Houston OL is pretty bad though.

Hard to find many motivational aspects for Auburn here. At least for Houston they get to prove themselves vs SEC opponent. I think case could be made that Houston could be a little flat too. Both had difficult losses to end their seasons and Birmingham Bowl doesn't figure to add much juice for either really. If Houston's impact players decide to play and Auburn keeps losing some to opt-out and transfer, that might be my deciding factor.

Seems y’all might get 3 LA WRs

Bama has many WRs and people seem to think these are takes strictly because they are from LA

Preston etc

Back