BetOnline.ag

Thread: Ears popping constantly

Default Ears popping constantly

About 5-7 days ago, my ears started popping constantly - basically every time I breathe. This has never happened before - in fact, they basically never popped.

It's not one loud pop. The best way to describe it is the sound Rice Krispies make after pouring in milk. I feel a little pressure, but there is really no pain.

I should say that I have a history of painful inner ear infections. My doctor says these infections are usually unique to toddlers, but I still get them from time to time (once a year maybe?). I don't think its related since this has never happened, but I guess its a possibility.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here? Any advice is appreciated.
    “True freshmen don’t have the option to beg out of a game. It’s too hard to get in the damn game as it is. If he’s tired, he has to run more.”
    ---Brian Kelly on Isaiah Pead asking out after 11 straight carries against Marshall

The dude formerly known as VK.... clowncar's Avatar

Don't know if this helps at all ... maybe a hair on the eardrum ?

My Ear Feels Full or Makes Noises! (Eustachian Tube Dysfunction)
    by Fauquier ENT Consultants • Last Modified 6/16/2008

Introduction (Click here to skip to nasal spray use)
    Before going into an explanation of why there are occasions when the ear doesn't feel right (ear fullness, clogged ears) or makes unusual noises (ear crackling/popping), one must understand the anatomy of how the ear works when things are normal.
    To the right is a diagram of a normal ear with structures labelled. The middle ear space (colored in with yellow) is an air-filled region of the ear that is cut-off from the outside world except for one passage called the eustachian tube which opens into the back of the nose (see picture or video). If the eustachian tube doesn't open normally, the middle ear space becomes isolated.
    When the eustachian tube functions normally, every single time you swallow, yawn, blow your nose, etc, your ear "pops". This popping is when the eustachian tube opens transiently allowing air to pass from the middle ear to the back of the nose which is open to the environment.

Image is a modification of that found in Wikipedia under GNU Free Documentation License.

SO, why does my ear feel full sometimes?
    Assuming there is no earwax present which could cause symptoms of ear fullness, for most people, the ear fullness is due to their inability to pop their ears easily (or, open up the eustachian tube). Why would this cause ear fullness? It's because there is a PRESSURE difference between the air pressure in the middle ear and the pressure outside across the eardrum. When there is a pressure difference, the eardrum either bulges outward (positive pressure) or bulges inward (negative pressure). Basically, when the eardrum bulges inward or outward, it creates a sensation of fullness for the person.

Eardrum bulges inward when the pressure outside is greater than the pressure in the middle ear space (ie, occurs when a plane is landing or if you dive deep into water)... The first picture reveals a pressure of "30" outside the ear (remember, the ear canal is open to the outside) whereas the pressure is only "10" inside the ear. This will cause the eardrum to bulge inward until the pressure outside and inside the ear matches at "30."

Images are a modification of that found in Wikipedia under GNU Free Documentation License.

Eardrum bulges outward when the pressure outside is less than the pressure in the middle ear space (ie, occurs when a plane is taking off or if you drive up a tall mountain)... The situation is reverse from that above. With the middle ear pressure of "30" being more than the ouside pressure of "10,", the eardrum bulges outward until the pressure inside and outside matches at "10."

Images are a modification of that found in Wikipedia under GNU Free Documentation License.

Normally, by popping your ears, the pressure difference will normalize (ie, no pressure can build up in a balloon if there is a hole) and the eardrum will go back into a neutral position. If the pressure difference is severe, the eardrum can bulge to the point it can pop like a balloon, a situation known as a perforated eardrum. Of note, people suffering predominantly from negative ear pressure are at risk of developing fluid in the middle ear which may lead to middle ear infections (otitis media) and hearing loss.
    So, what would cause the eustachian tube to not open up properly? Well, something could be physically blocking the opening of the eustachian tube in the nose, most notably large adenoids. In rare cases, it could even be a tumor. Endoscopy is required to evaluate for these possibilities. More commonly, the eustachian tube does not open properly due to inflammatory conditions, especially allergies, resulting in the tube becoming inflamed and swollen. That's why when people get a cold or allergies are bad, their ears also becomes affected. This condition is known as Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. Treatment is based on the underlying condition. If due to large adenoids, adenoidectomy is the treatment. If due to Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, than treatment is with steroid nasal sprays for about 6 weeks along with Afrin for 3 days. These sprays are used differently than normal and instructions on the correct use can be found here. Throughout this time period, one must try to pop the ears 15-20 times per day (hourly) and also immediately after nasal spray use. Ear popping is done by pinching the nose and blowing gently (about the same amount of pressure as if one has mild constipation). Popping the ears in this manner, esp after nasal spray use helps to squeeze some of the medication into the eustachian tube.

More Videos on ENT Topics

Another maneuver that may help in popping the ear (at least in the short-term), is to place your index finger about 1/2 inch into your ear canal and press firmly towards the top and back of your head. While pressing in this manner, yawn as widely and openly as possible.
    Occasionally, systemic steroids are prescribed. If these sprays don't work, than placement of a tube across the eardrum often helps resolve the symptoms. Tube placement is generally recommended if a patient with eustachian tube dysfunction is about to fly, otherwise he/she may experience a very painful ear squeeze.
    If a patient has allergies or a sinus infection, these need to be addressed as well. Rarely, severe laryngopharyngeal reflux causes Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.
    Obviously, ear drops would not work since such drops would remain in the ear canal as it can't cross the eardrum to reach the eustachian tube which is the culprit for the cause of the symptoms.
    BEWARE!!! There are other reasons for ear fullness which is not as common including sudden sensorineural hearing loss, serous otitis media, Meniere's Disease, cochlear hydrops, endolymphatic hydrops, large tympanic membrane perforation, TMJ, etc. As such, one of the tests that needs to be performed before treatment is an audiogram.
    So why does my ear sometimes make funny crackling & popping noises?
    Earwax or even a piece of hair could be lying on top of the eardrum and when the eardrum vibrates, it may cause funny noises (just like a piece of string on a lightly beating drum). Obviously, treatment is by removal.
    Eustachian Tube Dysfunction can also cause crackling/popping noises. Given the eustachian tube is lined with mucosa which is moist, sometimes the surface may become sticky from inflammation such that any movement whether it be an opening motion or sliding would cause crackling/popping noises. Again, treatment in this case is with steroids nasal sprays for a period of about 6 weeks.
    TMJ or temporo-mandibular joint disorders can cause noises that seem like it is coming from the ear as well. The TMJ is located immediately in front of the ear and noises from this joint can reverberate and "echo" into the ear. Treatment for this can be found here.
    The final possible cause of ear noises are spasms of the muscles found within your ear (stapedius or tensor tympani). Typically, the noise is described as "clicking" that is most definitely not rhythmic. It clicks in a random fashion about 1-2 times a second. This disorder is similar to eye twitches (blepharospasm) that afflict some people. Unfortunately, the only treatment is surgery.
    Can't the eustachian tube be kept open to prevent Eustachian Tube Dysfunction?
    As a matter of fact, there actually is a medical condtion known as Patulous Eustchian Tube which is just that... a eustachian tube that stays open all the time. However, this situation causes problems as well. People with Patulous Eustachian Tube suffer from symptoms including hearing themself breath in and out all the time as well as hearing themself talk in their head as if in a barrel. Symptoms may temporarily improve when bending down for a few seconds, but return soon thereafter. Unfortunately for sufferers of Patulous Eustachian Tube, there is no treatment that works very well unlike for Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. SSKI, premarin drops, and reserpine are some not totally effective treatments.
    Perhaps the best treatment I've seen for Patulous Eustachian Tube is that provided by Dr. Dennis Poe at Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary in Boston, MA. He performs a minimally invasive endoscopic insertion of a tiny catheter into the eustachian tube. The catheter is just the right size that one can still pop ears easily to prevent eustachian tube dysfunction, but large enough so that one does not suffer the symptoms of patulous eustachian tube.

Santacapper is a doctor, he will know.

full of cum?
    :really_happy:
    \-[ ]-/
    ( )( )
    / \

Moderator of FE Island Football_Expert's Avatar

:36_11_6:cum.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpOnBoard View Post
    Santacapper is a doctor, he will know.
    nope, but I did stay at a holiday inn...

no clue, could just be the onset of a cold

I think I had the same thing a few years ago. Turned out to be an ear infection if memory serves.

Ear Infection.

Thread Information