• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Top 5 favorite players you’ve seen play

jedi ninja

Larry is my name, logic is my game
With baseball season right around the corner, I’d like to get a little activity going in the baseball forum, so let’s play a game and name your 5 favorites players. Players you’ve seen play...so no Babe Ruth, no Willie Mays (he would be on my all time list though), no Satchel Paige, etc.

Here are mine -

Barry Bonds - top 3 player of all time, easily the best player any of has seen in our lifetime. 5 tool player, and what he lacked a bit in his arm he more than made up for with his plate discipline and power.

Ichiro - If he came to MLB earlier, he’d be the all time hits leader, complete 5 tool player. It’s well known that Ichiro could have hit 50+ HRs a season if he wanted to use that approach, but he chose to play the way he did. One of the all time players in the history of the game.

Vladdy - from the ankles to the pine tar on the top of his helmet...he’d hit the pitch if you put it in that zone, absolute cannon in the OF. Another 5 tool player.

Rickey - my first “favorite” player and one if the reasons I love baseball as much as I do and why I played it through college. It’s a theme, but another 5 tool player.

Josh Hamilton - had he not had the troubles early in his life, he would be near the top of every list imaginable and would be a shoe-in HOFer. Had more raw talent than anyone’s before him according to those who knew him back when he was in HS

Some honorable mentions...Griffey Jr, Mike Trout, Roberto Kelly, Adrian Beltre, El Duque, Bo, Godzilla

Last edited:
Sorry do you mean in person or on tv?

I just meant a player who has played in your lifetime that you’ve seen play, either in person or on TV. Just didn’t want it to turn into Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Aaron, Cy Young, Ted Williams, etc.

Rickey was my first favorite as well. Junior is right there for sure. In my prime, Miggy at the plate. Loved watching Maddux pitch. My fifth would be a shortstop ..not sure which one yet though.

As a kid saw Reggie Jackson in NY many times. was always in awe on how good of a hitter he was and would come talk to the kids before the game. Made a great impression on me. Got to see Tom Glavine pitch as well. unreal control, also Maddux as well. College days would go to Balt and See Ripken play too. Being a Mets fan was able to watch Gary Carter catch. He was in control of the situation and a great leader on those Met teams.

Rickey was my first favorite as well. Junior is right there for sure. In my prime, Miggy at the plate. Loved watching Maddux pitch. My fifth would be a shortstop ..not sure which one yet though.

Maddux is near the top for me as well. I should have said position players, because I feel I can make a separate list for pitchers.

Maddux
Smoltz
El Duque
Clemens
Wakefield (I was a knuckleballer myself)
Mo
Righetti (remember watching his no hitter on the 4th of July with my grandpa at his cottage...I was 7)

Last edited:

I remember being yelled at by my dad and other coaches to stop doing Rickey’s “snatch catch” that he always liked to do. The ball didn’t always stay in my glove when I was doing it as an 8-12 year old, lol.

Last edited:
Javy Baez is the player I have had the most fun watching in my life. Sammy Sosa launching bombs a distant second.

Bonds just incredible - by far the best hitter I've ever seen. Loved matching maddux pitch. Randy Johnson too.

I remember when Strawberry and Doc Gooden came up thinking these maybe the two greatest players that we will ever see. Talent wise I'd put them up there with anyone.

1) Bonds
2) Rickey
3) Griffey
4) The Big Hurt
5) Mattingly

But the coolest thing I've ever seen was watching Big Mac take BP at Old Busch Stadium. Andro whatever aided, I don't really care. That was amazing to see how far he could hit a baseball.

I prefer pitchers when it comes to individual performances im interested in watching, especially when going to the games. Love sitting up above home plate and watching guys w filthy stuff!!

I remember when Strawberry and Doc Gooden came up thinking these maybe the two greatest players that we will ever see. Talent wise I'd put them up there with anyone.

1) Bonds
2) Rickey
3) Griffey
4) The Big Hurt
5) Mattingly

But the coolest thing I've ever seen was watching Big Mac take BP at Old Busch Stadium. Andro whatever aided, I don't really care. That was amazing to see how far he could hit a baseball.

It was pretty incredible to watch back in his heyday. Only time I’ve ever went to park early and watched BP.

Luis Tiant......always won the game you needed and with style
Ozzie Smith.....best D ever
Edgar Martinez......such a pure hitter
Barry Bond.....hate him....but during his prime you couldn't get this guy out....but juiced
Mookie Betts.....potential to be one of the greatest....there is not one aspect of the game that he doesn't do exceedingly well.

Babe Ruth.....obviously never saw him play but have read 3 biographies and there is no doubt that if we had watched him he would top everyone's list......without question the greatest ever to play the game and there really isn't even a second place....it's Babe #1 and then 3rd place

Off the top of my head....
Pitchers:
Greg Maddux, Pedro Martinez,, Roger Clemens & Oil Can Boyd (Kerry Wood gets honorable mention because when he was on, ooooh boy)
Hitters:
Jim Rice, Barry Bonds and I have a fond place in my heart for Dave Kingman
Fielders:
Jim Edmonds, Ken Griffey Jr. & Omar Vizquel
Base runners:
Vince Coleman & Rickey Henderson
Overall:
Mike Trout & Ken Griffey Jr.

Barry Bonds
Ken Griffey Jr.
Vladimir Guerrero
Torii Hunter
Johan Santana

I’m a Twins fan, so those last two are certainly biased, but Torii was so much fun to watch for his defensive abilities, and when Johan had that change-up working, he was lights out.

In person it was hands down watching Junior go 5 for 5 at Yankee Stadium. Seeing Arrieta at the height of his ability was also special.

Went to a few Mets games in the mid 70s hoping to see Seaver and somehow every time ended up seeing Harry Parker start.

Barry Bonds
Ken Griffey Jr.
Vladimir Guerrero
Torii Hunter
Johan Santana

I’m a Twins fan, so those last two are certainly biased, but Torii was so much fun to watch for his defensive abilities, and when Johan had that change-up working, he was lights out.
Good list.

I'll go with guys I've actually seen play. These aren't my favorites but just going off ability, the buzz during the game, and how they played.

Bo (not even a close second to this)
Barry Bonds
Puckett
Dave Winfield
Ozzie Smith
Wade Boggs
Mark McGuire (rookie season)
Griffey Jr.

Back