• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Soccer Questions

takeit

THE Wife
OK... talk to me about soccer. Don't know much except I played AYSO as a kiddo and snacked on orange slices :)

Do the women only play together as a team all year? Playing tournaments and friendlys? Do they also play on other teams?

What about the men? Is it more like the NBA and the Olympics? Do they play on other teams all year and get together just to play in the World Cup?

OK... talk to me about soccer. Don't know much except I played AYSO as a kiddo and snacked on orange slices :)

Do the women only play together as a team all year? Playing tournaments and friendlys? Do they also play on other teams?

What about the men? Is it more like the NBA and the Olympics? Do they play on other teams all year and get together just to play in the World Cup?

They play on clubs during year (like the NBA they sign contracts can switch from club to club in what is called the transfer period). Then are organized by nationality for world cup euro cup international friendlies etc for which the respective international manager calls a specific number of them up.

They play on clubs during year (like the NBA they sign contracts can switch from club to club in what is called the transfer period). Then are organized by nationality for world cup euro cup international friendlies etc for which the respective international manager calls a specific number of them up.

The women too?

Are the women seeking equal pay for the world cup or for league play too? I can see world cup, but I didn't even know there was a woman's soccer league. Men's soccer is HUGE

Are the women seeking equal pay for the world cup or for league play too? I can see world cup, but I didn't even know there was a woman's soccer league. Men's soccer is HUGE

There are women who seek that. If you google just that sentence you‘ll see lots of newspapers covering it, its a current political issue for sure

Equal with the usmnt for playing for america

They already make a higher percentage of revenue that they bring in, but want equal pay

Mens world cup gets 82x the revenue of the womens

I think I read somewhere that the women are profitable and the men are not. Not sure if this is just WC or overall. The men are losers too while the women win. Isn't mens soccer the most popular sport in the world? Not int he USA, but overall?

I think I read somewhere that the women are profitable and the men are not. Not sure if this is just WC or overall. The men are losers too while the women win. Isn't mens soccer the most popular sport in the world? Not int he USA, but overall?

Both make a profit

The men play in a much bigger pool

The us women win because in womens sports for the most part the americans are good. They spend the most money, pay the most coaches, and have a huge population of soccer players

Something like 47% of all women soccer players are north american

So their competition is dramatically lower

In terms of what team in general was better. The us women play with youth level teenerager teams and lose quite often. The us women lost to an under 15 dallas boys 2 years ago 5-2

Soccer is by far the most popular sport in the world

To give an example of the disparity in pay on club teams

Neymar makes as much as all the womens soccer players in France, Germany, England, the US, Sweden, Australia and Mexico

Are they asking for equal pay from US federation in general or for FIFA to offer the same prize money for woman? . The whole things has become so politicized I’ve lost track

In terms of how the US federation treats it’s woman and men’s national teams . I would put it up there with some of the best in the world .

If the woman aren’t chartered everywhere they should be that should change .

Oh for the world cup its 1% mens vs 4% womens

but in 2017 and 2018 (I'm sure 2019 too), the USWNT has brought in more revenue than then USMNT. The difference really is the FIFA purse (38m vs 4m).

I was hoping I wouldn't need to read about it, but I did. Can see some points of the women but they signed a CBA... If this was so important to them, why didn't they strike instead of sign?

In terms of how the US federation treats it’s woman and men’s national teams . I would put it up there with some of the best in the world .

If the woman aren’t chartered everywhere they should be that should change .

I read travel and field (they play on turf and feel it's safer on grass, which is what men play on) are issues too

It’s not clear to me they generate more revenue than the men.

The sponsorship deals are usually bundled and the tv rights definitely are . I do believe the woman generated more ticket revenue than the men last year , but I’d have to see how many games each side played to see if that’s a fair comparison.

Every article I read points to ticket sales being higher then there is a caveat that it’s only a small portion of total revenue and it’s really difficult to tell because tv rights are bundled etc , etc .

The men are probably overpaid given the crap they’ve put out the last 10 years

I really don't believe much I read anymore, so this could be totally false:

The lawsuit cites a very specific example in showing the profitability of the women's team. It states that in 2016, U.S. Soccer had initially budgeted a loss of $430,000 for the two senior national team programs but later revised that to a $17.7 million profit due to the USWNT's 2015 World Cup win and a surge in the team's popularity.

What the lawsuit doesn't get into is the fact that the trend of the women bringing in more revenue than the men continued after the 2015 World Cup. The financials from U.S. Soccer's own annual reports show more revenue from the USWNT than the USMNT in 2017 and 2018 as well.

No doubt, a big reason that trend has continued is that the USMNT missed out on last year's World Cup entirely. If the men had qualified, the financial picture would be very different. But the men didn't qualify.

Back