• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

SEC Offseason Thread

gps_3

Head of Alabama Department of Decision-Making
Should be plenty of stuff to put in here, especially as spring practices start in a few weeks. I mainly follow Alabama exclusively this time of year, but will post things as I read them. I'm mostly interested in how the new coaches fill their squads with signing day a couple of weeks away, in particular the Mississippi schools.

There have been rumors of coaching changes all offseason for us, but so far nothing major. Added Freddie Roach to coach DL, former player was doing pretty well at Miss St. Good recruiter. We've been trying to get Bo Davis back, but he's locked in with Detroit, plus, not sure our compliance dept will let him back anyway

Recruiting-wise, think we will only add 4 at most on NSD, with the biggest one we are after being McKinley Jackson

We (Miss State) hired Zach Arnett as DC earlier today. Very excited about this hire. Other relevant State news, KJ Costello officially visiting this weekend

Didn't Arnett just take the Syracuse job not too long ago? Good poach for MSU.

Also Gus Bus said Morris would have full control over the offense.

The philosophical shift with Monken + bringing in Newman might be enough to bridge that tiny gap between Georgia and the Clemson/OSU/Bama’s of the world. Especially with everybody returning from a defense that already was outstanding.

If UGA can find a WR to complement Pickens and the OL comes together after losing so much, I think you’re right

Alabama doesn't belong on that list. The only reason it's tough to win there is that the team is really good. I've seen enough voodoo at Jordan-Hare to last a few lifetimes. It definitely should be on there

I can't help but laugh at the inclusion of Oklahoma. A portion of the fans do a good job, but overall OU has NEVER been the equal of SEC schools.

Every year there are endless complaints on the OU boards by fans who want more rabid enthusiasm. The old joke--and there is a lot of truth in it-- is the most common yell at OU is "down in front," because so many of the seats are occupied by old timers who believe in polite cheering and don't want the younger, rowdier segment standing up and blocking the view.

They don't even come close to places like LSU or Auburn or Penn State

The truth is the fans are more vocal and rabid at the OU/Texas game every year than any game in Norman. Probably because a lot of the old timers don't bother to travel to Dallas.

The one left off I think should be included is the LA Coliseum when USC is riding high. Not up to the SEC level, but when the Trojans are rolling and they play Conquest it is an eerie feeling for the opponent

Really nice get by Messy State. As far as NSD goes, it has really lost its’ luster with the ESD addition.

I don't think many expected ESD to be as big as it became. I know Saban didn't, and you could tell by the class we ended up with.

Just remember. When some say SEC teams don’t play OOC etc, please leave some teams out of the discussion.

Just remember. When some say SEC teams don’t play OOC etc, please leave some teams out of the discussion.
I don't think lsu has ever been chided horribly about it. We know some of their tests. Teams like Florida should always get crap, for one and the fact that they all play 4 ooc games is part of it.

Hopefully all those games stay as planned. We have seen schools get much more aggressive with ooc marque game scheduling the last 6 months (it seems). My feeling is that whatever scenario plays out when the playoff contract runs out teams want to be in position for it(again, just a guess).

Amazing how the SEC loaded up on talent again. They dominated the top guys just like they have been the last few years. Okla and Texas are definitely feeling the pain. aTm is getting guys every year since they joined the SEC that once would have gone with either Okla or Teas.

And now the SEC is cherry picking talent all over the country. Only Clemson is hanging with them

I don't think lsu has ever been chided horribly about it. We know some of their tests. Teams like Florida should always get crap, for one and the fact that they all play 4 ooc games is part of it.
Florida schedules FSU every year and has picked up Miami a couple times in recent history. Wish they would make that annual. Would also like to see UCF and USF in each schedule for a true state champion.

Florida schedules FSU every year and has picked up Miami a couple times in recent history. Wish they would make that annual. Would also like to see UCF and USF in each schedule for a true state champion.
That would be terrific. Florida gets crap becuse they don't go north of Kentucky and other than the shellacking in Dallas in '17 they don't go West of Miss/Mizz. Yes, they do have the standing game against FSU...so in an essence they could say they play 9 conference games...almost.

Pretty big deal no Bammers?

I think yes and no. He was as close to a right hand man as Saban had, so it will be tough to replace him in that respect. On the other hand, I've heard for the past few seasons that things were growing stale in our S&C dept, and there were whispers that whatever we were doing contributed to our horrible injury luck the last few seasons, especially considering the number of non-contact injuries. He wanted to be an on the field guy, and Saban wasn't ready to do it, so this makes sense. He and Kirby were already really close, and Smart tried to hire him a few years ago when he became UGA's coach

I think yes and no. He was as close to a right hand man as Saban had, so it will be tough to replace him in that respect. On the other hand, I've heard for the past few seasons that things were growing stale in our S&C dept, and there were whispers that whatever we were doing contributed to our horrible injury luck the last few seasons, especially considering the number of non-contact injuries. He wanted to be an on the field guy, and Saban wasn't ready to do it, so this makes sense. He and Kirby were already really close, and Smart tried to hire him a few years ago when he became UGA's coach
This is what I was looking for by posting that. I was curious if maybe injuries the last few years might be attributed...

That happens a lot more than the public realizes, especially when the SC coach is one of the old fashioned muscle heads.

Oklahoma lost a ton of guys to back and knee injuries that were occurring during training. I never heard what was causing the back injuries--which ended the career of a lot of O-linemen--but I knew an attorney who brought a lawsuit because the SC coach was still having guys do the duck walk, which every fitness expert and doctor in the world knew caused ligament damage. OU settled the suit and put a stop to the practice.

Stoops loved the guy, but as soon as Riley took over he moved him out.

College SC coaches have become more educated over the last few years, but are still far behind the rest of the world when it comes to conditioning. College football players do more extreme workouts and spend more hours weight training than any sport on the planet, and far, far more than NFL players. Every other sport understands athletes need long periods when they rest their bodies, but not college football.

And college hoops is going the same direction

I think what it boils down to is that losing Cochran the person is a big loss, but losing Cochran the strength coach isn't that big of a deal. The more I hear, Cochran wants to be a head coach one day. Getting on that path probably wasn't going to happen at Alabama, at least not anytime soon.

Story is out there that we are interviewing the guy from Oregon as soon as today. He was at Alabama before Cristobal hired him at Oregon. Would be a great hire, if for nothing else than that moustache

I checked a Georgia board today and I could not possibly exaggerate how big those people think it is. The common wisdom is that this is the end for Bama, and th final piece to put Georgia over th etop.

To be fair, there have been a lot of national writers (ie Bruce Feldman) who are talking like this is a much larger deal than it is. I do think this hurts Alabama more than it helps UGA, but I think we'll somehow manage to keep our program together

Back