• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

REV Group Grand Prix Race 2 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
How To Bet Second Leg Of IndyCar Road America GrandPrix Doubleheader

NTT IndyCar Series: REV Group Grand Prix Race 2
Sunday, July 12, 2020 at noon p.m. ET (NBC) at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin

Basic Doubleheader Info

Remember that this weekend’s IndyCar action features a doubleheader.

While Saturday’s race is Race 1 at Elkhart Lake, the object of this article is Race 2, which takes place on Sunday at the same location.

Entry lists have been submitted and there is no doubt that both events will feature all of IndyCar’s big names.

These big names have lately dominated the finishing order at this event. So instead of wasting more than a few cents on a long-shot, i’m going to focus on investing in another big name.

Starting lineups, though, have yet to be determined.

Sunday’s qualifying, which precedes Race 2, will start at 10 a.m and this is what will determine the starting lineup.

When To Bet

You might wonder: doesn’t starting position matter for this race?

After all, in two of the past four years, the driver who secured pole position in qualifying has also gone on to win the race.

I think that the reality is not so much that when a driver secures pole position, he is more likely to win the race because he had pole position.

Instead, the reality seems to be that the drivers who are more likely to secure pole position are also the ones who are more likely to win the event.

This explanation makes sense of the fact that lesser names, like Colton Herta, who have secured pole position at Road America did not go on to win.

Like Saturday’s race, Sunday’s event will require drivers to complete 55 laps. As one lap consists in 4.048 miles, drivers will have completed 220.77 miles by the race’s conclusion.

Given the number of laps and given my preceding logic, I really doubt that you should or need to wait for the starting lineup to be established before you place your bet.

Track Info

This Road America course is notorious in several respects. I only mentioned the most famous one — the Kink -- in my article on Race 1.

Recall that the Kink is simultaneously the most dangerous and the most high-reward turn that Road America has to offer. The Kink is Road America’s signature, trademark turn.

One additionally well-known feature of the track is what one calls „Carousel.“

Carousel is an appropriate name as it describes a right-turn that drivers make, the ninth turn, which is long, which curves, and which descends downhill.

In this turn, drivers are able to sense very strong lateral G-forces (gravitational forces), which basically means that they can perceive significant weight along the side of their vehicle.

Another famous turn is the 12th one, which is called „Canada Corner.“

This turn is the first one ensuing the famous Kink and it is likely the one where drivers reach their top speed. Here, elevation is also at its lowest.

My Bet

I want to invest in Josef Newgarden.

Newgarden has always been reliable at this course as he’s the only active driver to finish top-10 in all four of his efforts here.

Beyond finishing top-10, Newgarden also has three top-five victories and a win, which was truly a dominating performance, that took place in 2018.

While Newgarden has yet to win yet this season, the season is very young. He’s averaging a 5th place finish after two races, which is much better than what other solidly reputed guys like Alexander Rossi can claim for themselves.

So, not only has Newgarden finished top-3 in each of his last three races at Elkhart Lake, he also shows strong current form.

For these reasons, be sure to invest in Newgarden when odds come out.

Best Bet: Newgarden To Win (Odds TBA)

Back