• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Red Sox vs Dodgers Game 2 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Dodgers Will Leave Boston Singing the Blues After Game 2

Boston hosts the Dodgers for Game 2 of the Fall Classic on Wednesday at 8:09 ET on FOX. L.A. bats will show very clearly that Boston’s Game 2 starter isn’t nearly as good as Game 1’s.

Game 2: Los Angeles Dodgers at Boston

Wednesday, 8:09 ET (FOX)

MLB Pick: Dodgers ML

L.A.’s Hyun-Jin Ryu (7-3, 1.97 ERA) looks to bounce back from his last outing in Milwaukee. Because it was an elimination game, the crowd was exceptionally hostile. This hostility effected many Dodgers players in that game—not just Ryu, but Manny Machado, for instance. While the Dodgers had the opportunity to bounce back in Game 7, Wednesday presents an opportunity for Ryu. He has already demonstrated that he can do well against playoff teams, in the postseason, and on the road in postseason. In the regular season, he faced two playoff teams, Colorado and Oakland, and shut them out over combined 13 innings, winning both games. His career postseason ERA is 3.56 despite his debacle in Milwaukee. He had also performed well on the road before—in his last postseason experience before this year, he threw six strong innings in St. Louis. The Dodgers are 7-2, yielding +4.5 units, when he faces off with a southpaw.

Ryu relies primarily on his fastball, although he only throws it with 33 percent frequency. It lacks velocity, but it can still supersede the reaction skills of the batter because of its deception. He allows his fastball and cutter to share very similar vertical and horizontal release points so that the batter struggles to discern which pitch approaches him. Opponents are batting .207 and slugging .328 against it. But, his most effective pitch is actually the change-up. Its change of pace is relatively strong in that it averages 10 mph fewer than his fastball whereas most change-ups differ between seven and eight mph in velocity. Also, it’s more elusive with stronger glove-side motion and a sharper drop. Plus, he locates it better, throwing it with 66 percent frequency in the furthest lowest-right five spots in the zone.

The Red Sox are less successful against southpaws than against right-handed pitchers. They yielded +3.4 units against the former compared to +35.4 against the latter. They were much more familiar with the southpaws whom they faced until now—New York’s J.A. Happ, who they crushed, and Houston’s Dallas Keuchel, who they struggled against. Boston has only mustered 16 career at-bats against Ryu. Ryu’s stuff is fairly unique particularly in the negative vertical and horizontal movement of his curveball, which generates the highest rate of whiffs per swing of all his pitches. Seeing Ryu for the first time will be tough for Boston, though, above all because of Ryu’s effectivity.

Boston’s David Price (16-7, 3.58 ERA) is coming off a rare strong postseason outing. He has a solid 85.2 innings of postseason experience, but has repeatedly shown that his quality of performance diminishes in October. His career postseason ERA is 5.04. He had allowed combined seven runs in 6.1 innings before his last start. He has had a couple good outings before, but never followed it up with another good start. That one good start came on the road. Price, however, has struggled in his last three home starts dating to the regular season, in which he’s allowed combined five home runs.

Manny Machado is very familiar with Price because he played for a different AL East team. Likewise, Brian Dozier is familiar with Price from Dozier’s days in the AL. In 41 at-bats, Machado is slugging .683 in his career against Price. In 39 at-bats, Dozier is slugging .487 against him. Perhaps they can lend their teammates some tips on hitting Price. But they are already a much better bet in terms of units yielded against lefties than righties.

Why do you like unders so much? Both pitchers have shown struggles. Both offenses have the DH. 8.5 is a pretty small number to reach. GL!

I usually dig into days rest and splits. Tonight more instinct. If Ryu is on, and I see no reason why he wont, he is near unhittable.

Price rose to the occasion against Houston and he will do it again. This postseason is his redemption. He brings it tonight.

Under ump imo. . Strong left to right. Nunez dinger changed total sentiment tonight imo

GL Wise. Hope its exciting.

I usually dig into days rest and splits. Tonight more instinct. If Ryu is on, and I see no reason why he wont, he is near unhittable.

Price rose to the occasion against Houston and he will do it again. This postseason is his redemption. He brings it tonight.

Under ump imo. . Strong left to right. Nunez dinger changed total sentiment tonight imo

GL Wise. Hope its exciting.

Not an under ump at all. Danley is 19-10 to the over this year...wind right to left is the wind that brings home the unders at fenway. Left to Right blows everything out of the stadium and to the big parts of the ball park...it may go under but this is some questionable info as I'm reading it

Before the game I was riffing on Madson with buddy and was like, dont get it, used to be late inning guy, now you bring in the 3rd and 5th inning. It was clear it was poor decsion game 1 and complete Fail game 2. He almost robbed my under too. Best you had.

Madson is a disease. And Roberts is a fool for going to him not once but twice in this series. Ryu owned Pearce last night, he popped him out in the first on 4 pitches and again in the 3rd on 2 pitches. Sure, Ryu got himself into a bases loaded jam but there were 2 outs. And Steve Pearce wasn't a threat against Ryu who was only at 69 pitches, just my opinion but you've got to let Ryu pitch one more batter before going to middle relief in that situation.

Madson is a disease. And Roberts is a fool for going to him not once but twice in this series. Ryu owned Pearce last night, he popped him out in the first on 4 pitches and again in the 3rd on 2 pitches. Sure, Ryu got himself into a bases loaded jam but there were 2 outs. And Steve Pearce wasn't a threat against Ryu who was only at 69 pitches, just my opinion but you've got to let Ryu pitch one more batter before going to middle relief in that situation.
Madson sucks and is a piece of shit!!

Back