• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Quarterback Scouting Report: Brian Lewerke

He was rusty for the Oregon game; you hate MSU...
I don't hate them. I do not like either big sport coach due to the shit they have let their athletes get away with. This is just like any other slimeball in America (Urban, Briles, the list goes on...). I do not care for their higher ups at all. It's a shitshow. The older alumni are great. The current students are outstanding and are fighting for their school and fellow students while the BOT etc laughs. That's my company line on them.

He was rusty for the Oregon game; you hate MSU...
Everyone is "rusty" after a 5 week break from the seasons end to a bowl game. He was out for an extra week or two. There isn't much difference. He had all of the bowl practice sessions to get the rust off just like everyone else.

That's understandable. College athletics is a cesspool but that's another topic.

And not to belabor a point, but I don't even remember a mention of the Lewerke injury in the week 3 B10 thread LY; I don't remember hearing about it till PSU and that includes my MSU alumni friend. EVERYONE?

Everyone is "rusty" after a 5 week break from the seasons end to a bowl game. He was out for an extra week or two. There isn't much difference. He had all of the bowl practice sessions to get the rust off just like everyone else.

Injury, extra 2 weeks, offense not tuned to his abilities....again, benefit of the doubt from my point of view. I understand this coaching musical chairs is also going to lend more to his abilities this year. Guess we'll see about that as well.

I noted all pass attempts that appeared to be over 15 yards in order from first to last: Slowly sailed out of bounds, defensive back had time to come bat the ball down, underthrew Nailor, lofting down the sideline overthrew receiver out of bounds, broken up over the middle, low pass over the middle broken up (actually looked ok, couldn't step into pass due to blitz), accurate down the seam, overthrown floater to White, overthrew receiver, ball dropped over the middle. So 10-ish pass attempts that you could call intermediate or long.

Overall very conservative, mostly swing passes out of the backfield, curls, cross routes across the middle....clearly the focus was to use the athleticism of his receivers and let them do the yard-gaining. 22/40 only 172 yards (really amazingly low yardage total considering how many big gains his receivers made off short passes). When he was completing 10+ yard passes he was relying on good timing (ie throwing the ball in advance of the receiver curling) rather than velocity.

But his arm strength has always been questionable. He was guilty of at least much the same fallaciousness in his deeper passes against Utah State (as noted above). So maybe he was more healthy and a bad deep passer than injured.

Yeah he had the same five weeks or whatever off that other college players had. But I don't think he threw much at all in prepping for the bowl game...which could explain the frequent bad timing... and it was his first time playing since November 10 (Ohio State) and I think first time playing since he played AT ALL and first time playing since playing when healthy (when he could actually throw the ball, since rust sets in when you don't throw the ball for a while) are two different things so it's worth noting it was his first time playing when healthy since October 13 at PSU (when in any case he wasn't a complete shit-show) or September 8 at ASU. So I think rust was more of a factor than BAR accounted for.

In the Oregon game, he was repeatedly wildly inaccurate also on shorter throws, sometimes throwing nowhere near receivers in the flats. He was only reliable with short passes especially when he could step into his throws. He clearly had more confidence scrambling.

Let's say that he injured his shoulder at ASU. The next three games (at Indiana, vs CMU, vs NW) he still achieved a passer rating over 117. Then there's a huge dropoff in completion percentage against Penn State. Michigan, Maryland, Ohio State were all shit-shows from him. So given BAR's hypothesis, we have to be talking of degrees of injury where he reached a point of being nearly completely unserviceable. The Oregon game seems to be somewhere in between the Michigan-Maryland-Ohio State stretch and the Indiana, CMU, NW, PSU one. After all, he had some time to rest, although he did appear to take some hard hits on his shoulder while running. Even in March he only said, exact quote, its "pretty much" 100% and this game was December 31.

Last edited:
Back